Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Wasnt expecting the event till tomorrow Gotta hike up my socks and actually do the 3.3 quest that unlocks the mode. Seems oddly controversial for a side game though. Curious to see if its anywhere near as soul crushing and slow paced as some people make it out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Incoherence posted:

I haven't done a lot of the card game, but it seems like it's occasionally useful to have matching off-element dice for white card costs like artifacts/weapons, rather than immediately slam-rerolling them.
Yes. This is very relevant when 3 white costs are in your hand, like Paimon. 2 costs usually you reroll into another pair.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
fish/ganyu/electro of your choice is a good beginner deck btw - start with ganyu, burst t2 if you can (pretty easy with trail of the qilin t1 + a normal attack) and then swap to fish and use her skill. The summons together do a ridiculous amount of damage and piercing damage. The last electro is for cleanup and so you can run the electro resonance card to funnel energy more quickly to ganyu or the cleanup electro.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've been really enjoying my Maguu Kenki/Rhodeia of Loch/Sucrose deck. Just making GBS threads out summons. Got me all the summon achievements really easily.

At this point, I think my only achievement left is currency based.

With the new cards, it is probably about time to mix up my deck too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I poo poo on bow users a lot because I use a controller or mobile touch but is there really any way to make charged shots better?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I bought The Catch today and farmed some reasonable gold Emblem artifacts, so that's a good start for Xiangling at least. Still 4 glitter away from that Bennett in the shop, though.

Since I'm basically out of essences, what's the best way to level / farm artifact experience items? I'm not taking these to +20 until I know I have the right ones on board. For now it's four Emblems and ATK% on the fourth slot, though I'm not sure if I want recharge, EM, ATK or Pyro% there as the mainstat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have 1450 relics you can have. I’m frequently at the cap and that’s with having multiple ones at 20 (even if they are garbage).

Just so I know for my self. You can’t break them down for just exp to use later can you?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

I have 1450 relics you can have. I’m frequently at the cap and that’s with having multiple ones at 20 (even if they are garbage).

Just so I know for my self. You can’t break them down for just exp to use later can you?

not in this game, no. Altough, you can stuff the exp into an artifact and feed THAT one into your gear later on, but you'll lose 20% on the transfer

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Excelzior posted:

not in this game, no. Altough, you can stuff the exp into an artifact and feed THAT one into your gear later on, but you'll lose 20% on the transfer

Ok yeah that’s what I figured. Thanks!

I’ll keep dumping stuff into so so artifacts for now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

delfin posted:

I bought The Catch today and farmed some reasonable gold Emblem artifacts, so that's a good start for Xiangling at least. Still 4 glitter away from that Bennett in the shop, though.

Since I'm basically out of essences, what's the best way to level / farm artifact experience items? I'm not taking these to +20 until I know I have the right ones on board. For now it's four Emblems and ATK% on the fourth slot, though I'm not sure if I want recharge, EM, ATK or Pyro% there as the mainstat.

You can run a daily route of "investigation points" to pick up junk artifacts to use as XP fodder, but the primary way to farm artifact XP is to do artifact domains and just feed in all the lower-tier stuff you get.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The biggest problem with PvP in the card game is whoever goes first has a huge advantage. There's no way get rid of items/places/support characters they place, and their summons either are limited in cards and/or really expensive. Unless your deck has swirls/overload and your opponent has no good way of switching characters, you don't really have many options to slow or reverse the first player's momentum.

Some of the new support/food/artifact cards are just flat out better than the old ones, so now I have go and redo my old decks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The solution is to only play the card game against NPCs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know how to play TCG well, I get rolled challenging the playable characters to get their cards. In my novice experience, freeze is very powerful. I think there's something weird to it like you can't swap if you get frozen or you have to end your turn immediately?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know how to play TCG well, I get rolled challenging the playable characters to get their cards. In my novice experience, freeze is very powerful. I think there's something weird to it like you can't swap if you get frozen or you have to end your turn immediately?

You can't act with that character, so you have to swap if you want to continue your turn.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Leraika posted:

fish/ganyu/electro of your choice is a good beginner deck btw - start with ganyu, burst t2 if you can (pretty easy with trail of the qilin t1 + a normal attack) and then swap to fish and use her skill. The summons together do a ridiculous amount of damage and piercing damage. The last electro is for cleanup and so you can run the electro resonance card to funnel energy more quickly to ganyu or the cleanup electro.

Sadly Ganyus burst is 3 energy now, so you have to sit on her longer. But otherwise I am a big fan of superconduct/electrocharge as aoeing down the enemy seems to work regardless of what they are doing. This also makes the game super boring because I feel like I've found 'the answer' but I guess ymmv

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Eimi posted:

Sadly Ganyus burst is 3 energy now, so you have to sit on her longer. But otherwise I am a big fan of superconduct/electrocharge as aoeing down the enemy seems to work regardless of what they are doing. This also makes the game super boring because I feel like I've found 'the answer' but I guess ymmv

Aw, they nerfed her? Makes sense but it's still disappointing. I've been running Itto/Mona and Zhongli/Ei these days so I missed the nerf.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Why does this game look much worse full-screen than star rail does?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Meowywitch posted:

Why do birds suddenly appear whenever Kafka's near?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Why do birds suddenly appear whenever Kafka's near?

Just like me
they long to be
close to "boom"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

I definitely don’t notice this or think it’s the case at least on my machine

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Star Rail doesn't lean heavy into the cel-shaded "anime style" like Genshin does, which deliberately makes things look lower res/fidelity. I personally rather like the cel-shaded style especially in an exploration game.

Running Genshin with everything but bloom (gently caress bloom) cranked all the way to max looks great on PC. That said, Star Rail obviously looks "sharper" being non-open-world and having a non-cel-shaded artstyle.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like cel shading, but I dunno. I'm not sure if I'm having an FOV issue or if I'm just used to playing genshin windowed (which I have done for years)

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

TBH I can't really tell a difference, at least outside of Star Rail's combat.

Realistically though if there is a difference it would just be that Star Rail has less going on in the environment than Genshin does, especially in the turn based combat, so there's more overhead available for lighting and polygons. In Genshin you have to worry about the sizable three dimensional environment and the various collisions and interactions with it and the fact the camera could be positioned at almost every angle.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I haven't played the game windowed, but it looks astounding full screen. The newer areas look noticeably better to me than Liyue/Mondstadt, maybe that's it?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Meowywitch posted:

I like cel shading, but I dunno. I'm not sure if I'm having an FOV issue or if I'm just used to playing genshin windowed (which I have done for years)

If you've been using a non-tidy screen resolution (rather than the native resolution, or 1/2 or 1/4 of it) stuff's going to look pretty poo poo. It'll look worse if you're at 1/2 or 1/4, but it'll look less worse. That's just how LCDs work. Another option is that you got switched to the gross (but less heavy) antialiasing when they changed that, and just didn't notice because it was in a window.

Or maybe at some point you turned down the render scale, that'd do it too.

But star rail's just going to look nicer because they have more resources they can use in small areas, as opposed to genshin's having a huge amount of area loaded all at once. Framerate still goes to poo poo in space china, with its bountiful fields of foggy bottomless pits

Unrelatedly, it's hosed up how her sword cuts through her tails like that. Like, they put the sword hovering a foot behind her to begin with, presumably so it wouldn't do that, and then it still gets hosed.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Extremely confused why you’d ever see that clipping issue, as you should be climbing the ladder as a cat in a box.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I can't move around in the box, I keep hitting sprint and popping out.

Also, not going to wait 12 seconds to climb a drat ladder.

Kale
May 14, 2010

sushibandit posted:

Star Rail doesn't lean heavy into the cel-shaded "anime style" like Genshin does, which deliberately makes things look lower res/fidelity. I personally rather like the cel-shaded style especially in an exploration game.

Running Genshin with everything but bloom (gently caress bloom) cranked all the way to max looks great on PC. That said, Star Rail obviously looks "sharper" being non-open-world and having a non-cel-shaded artstyle.

Starting the game on PS4 before eventually moving to PC after I update mine felt like playing a different game almost. Honkai Star Rail on PC looked much better than anything I'd seen in closed beta tests too to the point where I was caught off guard in a good way almost. Actually having a sizeable draw distance in an open world game goes a long way it turns out. The popin and low res place holder model situation in PS4 Genshin is brutal. Its kind of brutal PS4 struggles to run a gacha mobile game. Like its hardware isnt THAT outdated.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 25, 2023

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Zenostein posted:

I can't move around in the box, I keep hitting sprint and popping out.

Also, not going to wait 12 seconds to climb a drat ladder.

Look how much fun I’m having

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Look how much fun I’m having

Just think of all the fun you could've had catting around and zapping the treasure hoarders wandering around that tower instead.

https://twitter.com/xinzoruo/status/1661691594582671360

Or this, this would be fun too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm really enjoying the story in Inazuma so far - it's making me sad, how the Vision removal is striking me as a parallel for mental illness, almost. Forgetfulness, depression, feeling empty... ow.

On a kind of related topic... how far through the main story is Genshin? Is there an endpoint? (Same question for HI3, if anyone knows!)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm really enjoying the story in Inazuma so far - it's making me sad, how the Vision removal is striking me as a parallel for mental illness, almost. Forgetfulness, depression, feeling empty... ow.

On a kind of related topic... how far through the main story is Genshin? Is there an endpoint? (Same question for HI3, if anyone knows!)

HI3 finished its main story but it's starting what I think has been referred to as 1.5, so sort of an interlude before the next really big thing gets going.

Genshin's four nations into a seven nation tour, which is going to be followed by Khaenri'ah, and then an epilogue. It's definitely too big to stop there though (even if they wanted to make a full sequel instead I don't think they can trash everyone's characters in a dead game and expect them to spend thousands on the next one), so I wouldn't expect the game to end, just the main story they've been telling so far about the Fatui and then the search for the Unknown God/Traveler's sibling.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 26, 2023

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Some slight spoilers, but this trailer released 2 years ago lays out the road map for genshin's story. We're probably at or close to the halway point based on it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

HI3 finished its main story but it's starting what I think has been referred to as 1.5, so sort of an interlude before the next really big thing gets going.

Genshin's four nations into a seven nation tour, which is going to be followed by Khaenri'ah, and then an epilogue. It's definitely too big to stop there though (even if they wanted to make a full sequel instead I don't think they can trash everyone's characters in a dead game and expect them to spend thousands on the next one), so I wouldn't expect the game to end, just the main story they've been telling so far about the Fatui and then the search for the Unknown God/Traveler's sibling.

Oooh, thank you! Just the answer I was looking for.

I kind of wish I'd found these games earlier, but... bouncing between them and Star Rail is making me really happy.

Space Opera posted:

Some slight spoilers, but this trailer released 2 years ago lays out the road map for genshin's story. We're probably at or close to the halway point based on it.

Thanks!

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I've been thinking for a while the Dain Quests might by themselves add up to the Khaenri'ah Chapter by the end, but the latest map expansion includes Khaenri'ah's literal front door, so what do I know.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Meowywitch posted:

Might be a render scale thing? I think I set both to 2.0

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I also think time travel is on the table; we've seen a lot of designs for dead or younger versions of existing characters that I feel like are going to get used at some point, and with the Sumeru arc establishing that Teyvat's collective memory can literally be rewritten through Irminsul and only the Traveler and their sibling are immune to its effects, going back in time to see what the hell happened in Khaenri'ah for ourselves might be the only way for figure everything out.

And depending on how ambitious Hoyo might be if time travel does happen, you could basically do a whole new game in the past without having to force everyone to start over (maybe even play as your sibling before they joined the Abyss?), and have new versions of existing characters for everyone to get thirsty over.

Meowywitch posted:

I mean, Star Rail is a newer game

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Tree Reformat posted:

I've been thinking for a while the Dain Quests might by themselves add up to the Khaenri'ah Chapter by the end, but the latest map expansion includes Khaenri'ah's literal front door, so what do I know.

it wouldn't surprise me if we get a sneak peek of the endgame areas far earlier kind of how like in Elden Ring you could check out a bit of leyndell all the way from limgrave

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Got a 5 star at 0 pity woo!
Oh I lost the 50/50 and it was Dehya. Oh well, I've got enough other characters to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stare-Out posted:

Lmao did like 70 pulls and got

4 Yun Jins (C8)
6 Chongyuns (C12)
Another Rust, another Widsith and yet another Fav Codex
Yae Miko C0 to C2(!)

ZERO Kiraras. The game hates me.

That said, Yae at C2 is hilarious. Just set up turrets and twirl your thumbs and everything not Electro immune is dead.

They [tm] know everyone wants the cat girl above all else.

I spent about 110 saved wishes. Got Mona immediatetely (2 years! loving finally), Yoimiya (I didn't have one yet) and yet another Jean con. A bunch of 4 star rubbish and a single C0 cat girl.

Cat girl is pretty good honestly. After tossing her into my Nilou team it really feels complete. Your own bombs no longer hurt you with a good dendro shield.