Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That's a great justification for something that Argate 100% did not remember he had already done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Granted it's been a long time since I played these games but I always remembered the Ice Keys as like a useless in-joke throughout the series

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yapping Eevee posted:

So the Minjo/Jingo set-up is normally a really good place to figure out the tell of whether a Jinjo is fake, except that the game being turned into a blocky mess by the AA-removal makes it kinda hard to spot.

I honestly kinda hate that they did that, it destroys the look of the game for me and makes it really hard to watch.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The AA removal hack works better on some games than others, and even then I really don't like using it on its own because it just makes games look both pixelated and blurry.

It works nicely in GoldenEye when used together with VI de-blur because that game doesn't have too much dithering and manages to look pretty nice when both the AA and the secondary blur are removed, but I don't think Banjo-Tooie looks very good with the hack. Enabling de-blur (which is not possible here anyway because Argate's N64 doesn't have an expensive RGB or HDMI mod installed) alongside the AA hack wouldn't improve the image quality as it would just make the dithering even worse, so I'd just not use the AA hack at all in Tooie.

edit: This video from My Life in Gaming is worth watching if you want to learn more about the N64's anti-aliasing and secondary blur pass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDiHgKil8AQ

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 25, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Forgot to mention this while we were more active in the Lagoon town, but I like the detail that the Yes/No button prompts are changed to Aye/Naw there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Argate hit the nail on the head why I wasn't a fan of this level. It's really confusing to navigate around and the 3d water controls aren't great. The music is chill as hell, the level just wears out it's welcome real quick.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This level was one of my favorites just because I really loved the atmosphere and style, but I do admit the navigation could get old.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think a lot of the problem is that it's truly 3d. There's a ton of interesting decor to help you identify areas, but all that stuff is on the floors and walls while most of your time navigating is spent in the featureless void in between.

That, and every Octopus tunnel being near identical and requiring you to stop and freeze them to pass every stinking time you go through them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
You can get the submarine up to the town and Free Willy yourself onto land, but yeah there's not much you can do once you're there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Saw this and thought the thread would appreciate it

https://twitter.com/skyburkson/status/1663568342119055360

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Terrydactyland is not my most loathed level in this game, but it is the most forgettable. It's huge and brown and confusing to navigate.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
It has dinosaurs.

Therefore, I like it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Weeble posted:

It has dinosaurs.

Therefore, I like it.

:hmmyes:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Terrydactyland feels like Rare took the wrong lesson from Click Clock Wood ("people like levels built around a tall central structure" instead of "hey look at this neat thing we did with the four seasons"). I don't know that it's an objectively bad design but it's not really memorable, which probably puts it at the bottom of my level ranking next to the future level that tries too hard to be memorable.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I am amazed at Rares restraint at not stealing the JP T-Rex roar, like everyone else who made dino games was. at the time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ah, the spring shoes. Yet another case of Tooie making a move from Kazooie largely redundant, in this case the shock jump pads. The one thing the shoes add over the pads is that you can move with the shoes and have to figure out where to go.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

stryth posted:

I am amazed at Rares restraint at not stealing the JP T-Rex roar, like everyone else who made dino games was. at the time.

It makes sense. That roar is nowhere near adorable enough for the transformation

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yeah, the amount of bloat in this game is making it... Much less charming than the first one.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This level is just so big and has so little going on in most of it, a problem with a lot of this game.

B-K's levels were a lot more concentrated in terms of where stuff was. Click Clock Wood has nothing on Jolly Roger's Lagoon or Terrydactyland. And this isn't even the level I most dislike in B-T.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't know how much of the game you have left to record, but you really gotta let go of the stick on these shock/spring jumps, at least the first time you do them in a given spot.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Actually, it is kinda interesting how this game flies the earliest flags that no matter how large the gameworld, if you don't have stuff in it, it makes the game a slog.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Samovar posted:

Actually, it is kinda interesting how this game flies the earliest flags that no matter how large the gameworld, if you don't have stuff in it, it makes the game a slog.

you need interesting stuff in it; DK64 is what happens when you just stuff the big world with junk.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I will always maintain that DK64 is a perfectly fine game as long as you don't 100% it. A game with just so much to do isn't necessarily bad, but when you're doing the same minigame over and over, it rapidly becomes a huge problem. If it had about half the content or even just more variety (or hell, instead of making people play a minigame every other banana just give us the drat banana) I don't think it would have the reputation it has. It has great bones.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

I agree it gets more hate than it deserves, but the things it stumbles on (needing to go through each area with each Kong mostly retreading old ground, needing to beat the arcade games that aren't TOO difficult but a different skillset) are things that will stick with players. You don't need to 100% but you need to do enough that the repetition can grate.

Like Banjo-Tooie, the things it does aren't bad, but it feels like it takes notably longer to do them than it should. "Good bones" is a good term for it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Hmm, what are the odds for a DK64 LP? Not immediately after Banjo-Tooie, but in the future.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I can't believe you would speak such an evil into this world.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Evil? A dk64 lp would mean putting the dk rap on your channel.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FoolyCharged posted:

Evil? A dk64 lp would mean putting the dk rap on your channel.

You mean the K. Rappy Rap.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

That's a strange way to refer to the greatest art piece of our generation

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Put that rap on your channel Nintendo breaks into your house to break your knees.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Artix posted:

I can't believe you would speak such an evil into this world.

:getin:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Just LP all the n64 rare games.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just LP all the N64 games!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

berenzen posted:

Just LP all the n64 rare games.

Then who'll LP the common ones?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think they're covered

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012