Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

My VPN is active and I can see your images.

Larryb posted:

Yup, works fine
Thanks for the confirmation!

Retail

Popcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Hakkuuaukko = clear-felled area
Hakkuu = felling/logging; literally the word has a meaning of something like "where-axe-cuts-are-done", practically impossible to literally translate
Aukko = hole/empty spot
Hakkuuaukko = felling hole/logging hole
At first I assumed that the joke was entirely about "hole = vagina", but thinking about it more, I think it's also a reference to the crude euphemism "axe wound = vagina". I mentioned the vague literal translation of "hakkuu" to indicate that in Finnish it (imo) has an implication towards using axe swings/cuts that might not be there in English.
E: Wait, the "clear-felled" part is probably actually a joke about pubic hair, duh

ANSU still on break, sorry.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 16: Hell on Wheels Part 1 Starts Monday!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Steeple is back on Monday for a new run! The first story is a two-parter, HELL ON WHEELS. What is this story about? It's about me having to draw a lot of cars in part one and something arguably even more difficult in part 2. Good luck me. Good luck you. See you on Monday!

So Steeple is Allison's other series, which began as a 5 issue print run in late 2019. In 2020 he continued the series in webcomic format. The series takes place in the fictional Cornish town of Tredregyn (which in Cornish roughly means "bad mischief town"), and resembles Allison's earlier Scary-Go-Round comics with it's emphasis on supernatural threats combined with a good deal of character development. It's also probably the most action-oriented series Allison has drawn to date (except maybe for the previous Kit + The Wolf story).

If you want to read the previous "issues" of Steeple, pretty much everything after the first five print issues are available at the link provided. If you want to read the first five they are collected in volume 1 of the Steeple trade paperback published by Dark Horse. If you have access to Hoopla or another digital library e-service you should be able to find it there. There is also a summer special (issue 15, art by Max Sarin) that is available as a digital purchase on Allison's Gumroad store.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 31, 2023

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

amigolupus posted:

If by pandemic reasons, you mean the rear end in a top hat boss keeping Dethany and the other secretary trapped in her mansion working as indentured slaves, then that's why she couldn't go on her honeymoon back then. :v: But I think Holbrook already stopped writing about the pandemic a long while back, so the fact she's only getting to go on her honeymoon now lies squarely on her toxic job and abusive boss.

Goddamn, Sally and Ted really need to dump Sally's mom in a senior living community that's farthest away from them, pronto.

Oh yea I don't mean to defend there. For some reason my brain thought to give benefit of the doubt with the "Well no one can travel IN REAL LIFE so" haha. My bad!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Rudy is not the location of the crater. He is the cause. Holbrook you hosed up your own sight gag again.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

amigolupus posted:

Make up your goddamn mind whether these two are humans or plant-people, Holbrook.

They're different characters. The mothers look alike, but you can tell them apart by their children. The plant couple has a plant son, the going-to-be-sea animals couple has a daughter with her dad's giant ears

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

I feel like I'm completely missing something, what does plagarism have to do with baseball? And pitching blindfolded seems like a great way to knock someone's teeth out.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons Assassins of Baseball

Holy poo poo that's giving your all

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If this was any other strip, I'd read this as setting up Piro to be gay.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Breadmaster posted:

I feel like I'm completely missing something, what does plagarism have to do with baseball? And pitching blindfolded seems like a great way to knock someone's teeth out.

the blind guy is relating his story about how gil thorp was helping him even before he went blind, continuing from previous strips establishing this

the first panel is flashback to him as a pitcher, where he is so careless and wasteful of his gift of being abled that he uses it to hit people with baseballs instead of actual good sportsmanship

the middle panel is flashback and explaining that his family was already going through some sort of hardship on the day that he lost his vision, at which point one of the kids interjects because they realize that the blind guy's dad was connected to some sort of plagiarism scandal bad enough that he became synonymous, to which the blind guy tersely responds that his father did apologize

panel three is back in narrative montage present, where he is trying to teach them how he can still perform precision feats of dexterity even now as a blind man the whole time he is relating this story

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Wasn't Bernice responsible for getting Piro kicked out the dorm when he was crashing on Tiffany's couch because he had nowhere else to go?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Dec 29-30, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 30 - Jul 1, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

If this was any other strip, I'd read this as setting up Piro to be gay.

There was a lesbian character once, but don't worry, they made sure it was a long distance relationship so that the girlfriend would never have to actually appear and only have to be mentioned sometimes and then they wrote the lesbian out of the strip.

Presto posted:

Wasn't Bernice responsible for getting Piro kicked out the dorm when he was crashing on Tiffany's couch because he had nowhere else to go?

Possibly, but I don't quite remember. Pretty sure it was eventually revealed that it was Tara Starr who stole the TV they were investigating, but I'm not sure if that was discovered before or after Bern ratted out Piro.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Presto posted:

I’ve said it before: Bernice is the type of person who would say “well technically Anne Frank’s family was breaking the law”.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life crossover week coda

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

They are so loving stupid.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 22, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not what I was getting from the artwork

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 02, 1957)

Jesus, that first panel recap is stone loving cold

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Kammat posted:

Holy poo poo that's giving your all

Dude's apparently a big fan of Mordecai Brown
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordecai_Brown

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Holy gently caress Demons of Baseball is getting hardcore.

Krazy Kat(December 31, 1916)

Little Nemo(May 27, 1906)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Kind of a half-baked execution but I stand by the concept.

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 09, 1957)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/25/03

Brenda Starr 1/18-20/51

Smokey Stover 11/14/54

Everyday Movies 6/12/36

"I hope the wind blows that newspaper over this way."

Scarlet's Had All She Can Stands and She Can't Stands No More 7/17-19/41

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ker-ack!!! Scarlet is the breakout hit of 2023. :allears:

I love that she mastered the sucker punch to capitalize on her invisibility.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it is hard to pour chips out of a non-Euclidean bag

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Doomykins posted:

So there's 100% no debate left any more, right? Sally's Mom is just an rear end in a top hat who never misses a chance to spew venom and then wonders why people treat her as a burden.

That's what I've been saying but people seem so desperate to believe otherwise, for some reason.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Good Scarlet but I'm still standing by my :goonsay: hobby horse observation that old Thimble Theatre is the only comic that shows proper punching mechanics

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That's what I've been saying but people seem so desperate to believe otherwise, for some reason.

Unfortunately, just because she's an bitter, venomous rear end in a top hat doesn't mean that Sally & sister didn't gently caress up how they handled the whole thing.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Maybe if she weren't such an rear end in a top hat to them that they are desperate to do whatever it takes and leap at the first thing that comes to mind (we must do something, this is something, we must do this) to get rid of her/placate her, they wouldn't have hosed it up! :colbert:

haha no they still would have completely bungled it because this is Sally Forth we're talking about, but the point stands regardless.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (June 21, 1935)

Peanuts (May 28, 1976)

Crankshaft

By a creative team that hasn't looked around recently.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 26, 1939)

Out Our Way (November 24-26, 1941; timg'd for questionable First Nation-related content)

And now, our latest installment of "War's over, guy on the front page said so."

The last time I did this, the follow-up was "What're we gonna do with the rest of the 1940s?", but there's a pretty good possibility just below the masthead.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 26, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Medenmath posted:

Kind of a half-baked execution but I stand by the concept.

Just wanna tell you this rules, text looks really convincing too (I can never get the fonts right for my edits)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (November 24-26, 1941; timg'd for questionable First Nation-related content)

...how old is everyone meant to be, here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Schwarzwald posted:

...how old is everyone meant to be, here?

My guess
Little ones: ~4
Brother/uncle: ~12
Sister/mother: early 20s
Mother/grandma: 40s