Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

starkebn posted:

I've heard the opinion that the tales of the great flood that are in the myths/histories of many cultures stem from the unstoppable and seeming unending enroachment of the oceans as the ice Age ended. The sea level rose for thousands of years and people had to rebuild and move settlements over and over..
Sometimes big floods just happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hit Man posted:

Sponsored

lmfao you still use google? its completely dogshit now, just like absolutely horrendous and completely lies about results filling in repeating ads for like 5 pages. there's been many good write-ups about it sucking so much rear end. it's like using the internet without ublock origins.

at the very least use duckduckgo, it still sucks but it's no google-level of suck. these are all very reasonable, even good, results

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

starkebn posted:

Every time they say it's not too late it's implied there is hope still.

The only way in which this is true is if we completely change civilisation and stop the use of fossil fuels this instant. Nearly all transport stop this instant. Nearly all farming stop this instant. Nearly all power generation stop this instant. Nearly all plastic production stop this instant.

And everything else that's implied. And if we do that who knows what the atmosphere will do anyway once all the junk stops being pumped into it.

Yeah, there's still hope everyone.

I don't think that's true though. We're past the tipping point, things are going to get worse, and there isn't really anything we can do to prevent global temps rising and parts of the world becoming entirely inhospitable. Stopping all fossil fuel usage would only speed the collapse at this point, since we'd go from being totally hosed in the medium term to totally hosed immediately.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Reminder that if all glaciers melt it's more than enough to not only destroy all coastal cities, globally, but enough to flood Paris, France. The UK would be an archipelago. Majority of the southeast US would be under water, major parts of China, the Amazon basin. Possibly central Australia, the black & Baltic seas would be linked to the Mediterranean iirc.

Wet & wild, baby!

can you imagine all the amazing scuba diveable ruins though? people would totally do that to try to score some phat loot from the before times. kinda waterworld-esque sounding

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

yeah all the bad poo poo is baked in. "doing something" would benefit future generations which we probably won't do because we seem pretty averse to doing anything we don't see immensely and immediately personal benefits from imho

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

cash crab posted:

yeah all the bad poo poo is baked in. "doing something" would benefit future generations which we probably won't do because we seem pretty averse to doing anything we don't see immensely and immediately personal benefits from imho

"'Science' will pull a MacGuffin out of its rear end just in time to save us all." :downs:

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Doesn't global dimming mean that if we stopped burning things tomorrow we'd add around 0.7° degrees within a few months? Basically we are already at +2.3°. I'm very stupid and don't understand anything mind you

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"'Science' will pull a MacGuffin out of its rear end just in time to save us all." :downs:

the two most overused lies/copes in all the bullshit surrounding biosphere collapse are:
1. we are running out of time, but we can still make a difference if we act now
2. don't worry, science will come up with a solution / we'll engineer our way out of it

I guess #2 is technically possible, but it's in moonshot territory at this point.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kyojin posted:

Doesn't global dimming mean that if we stopped burning things tomorrow we'd add around 0.7° degrees within a few months? Basically we are already at +2.3°. I'm very stupid and don't understand anything mind you

Yes, if we stopped producing any CO2 right this instant it would indeed lead to a warmer earth for several years.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

if one of the labs working on fusion announced tomorrow that they’ve cracked that bitch, nailed sustained net positive energy output with a reliable design, which lol is not happening, it would still be years before ground was broken on the first power generating plant

science already gave us the solution for an energy-intensive civilization that doesn’t annihilate the biosphere decades ago and we threw it away

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

kyojin posted:

I don't know the exact numbers but conceptually yeah. The smog we create via being terrible polluters also creates a particulate haze that reflects sunlight, and without those aerosols we'd see an increase in temperature. That's the faustian bargain that people keep referring to: doing the best thing for the long-term (stopping our polluting) is immensely harmful in the short-term (would cause immediate temp rise).

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/215/just-5-questions-aerosols - see #2

At some point though, we won't have a choice. I'm guessing that as a byproduct of some form of collapse (e.g. political instability, another pandemic or equivalent, supply chain or economic breakdown) our hand will be forced and that'll bring about the short term side-effect.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Wheeee posted:

if one of the labs working on fusion announced tomorrow that they’ve cracked that bitch, nailed sustained net positive energy output with a reliable design, which lol is not happening, it would still be years before ground was broken on the first power generating plant

science already gave us the solution for an energy-intensive civilization that doesn’t annihilate the biosphere decades ago and we threw it away

the fossil fuel industry would h-bomb that poo poo the moment it looked viable

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Wheeee posted:

yea that too, although our likely struggle to productionize any solution is part of why science solving biosphere collapse is such a moonshot

overcoming the bureaucracy, making whatever technology scalable and economically feasible, and enduring resistance from the entrenched energy industry are all big hurdles, and that's assuming we even have a workable idea to try

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ruggan posted:

the two most overused lies/copes in all the bullshit surrounding biosphere collapse are:
1. we are running out of time, but we can still make a difference if we act now
2. don't worry, science will come up with a solution / we'll engineer our way out of it

I guess #2 is technically possible, but it's in moonshot territory at this point.

I've been slowly catching up on Picard, and S2 is all about how one of Picard's ancestors just finds a MacGuffin "organism" on Io that just...*fixes* everything wrong with the planet.

Also, don't forget #3: Benevolent aliens! :v:

Complications posted:

If fusion (cold or hot) ever becomes a viable reality in our lifetimes (it won't), it'll be under the control of hypercorporations who will ensure that free, cheap, and infinite power is extremely expensive. Also, look forward to :smug: ads on television by HalliBechHoneySiemensLockMart about how much we need *their* great mankind-saving achievement.

BIG HEADLINE has issued a correction as of 07:46 on May 26, 2023

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

cash crab posted:

Experts have been ringing alarm bells since the early 1900s and we've never changed course

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

starkebn posted:

Experts have been ringing alarm bells since the early 1900s and we've never changed course

Lead in gasoline? Who cares! Cars are going to fly and run on plutonium by 1985!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
If aliens came down and handed us a free energy device there would be so many feasibility committees and lobbying efforts it wouldn't be used before the collapse anyway

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've been slowly catching up on Picard

please don't self harm

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Climate change? More like climate lame!

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

cash crab posted:

we’ve already done the most impactful thing for future generations by kicking off a mass extinction event. they’ll get to enjoy the fruits of all our hard work

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

starkebn posted:

If aliens came down and handed us a free energy device there would be so many feasibility committees and lobbying efforts it wouldn't be used before the collapse anyway

http://nobodyscores.loosenutstudio.com/index.php?id=524

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

starkebn posted:

Oh we’ve changed course all right. We slammed the accelerator to the floor.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/1661830199359447053

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
imagine how much coal you could dig up with a fusion powered coal digger

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Complications posted:

In furthering of the cynicism about miraculously solved fusion all of our infrastructure and construction consists primarily of theft and grift anyway so if we fought through the fossil fuel propganda about fusion rays causing cancer or whatever we would break ground on a plant that was advertised to take 5 years and a certain amount of money and 10+ years later it would be 10x over budget and not finished while everyone fights about funding and fusion rays causing cancer

We would probably even develop a multi-million person strong anti-fusion political movement that would put out budweiser horse commercials where a cowboy talks about the american spirit of the American Coal Miner. Politicial campaigns would be promising to halt construction.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

when the entire global economy is fuckin superglued to the petro-chemical dollar there's no way that alternative energy sources are doing anything while the last capitalist breathes

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

quote:

El Niño first came into the public consciousness in 1983, as it was the first major one in recent history that brought with it severe flooding and drought to various parts of the world. But it wasn't until 1997–1998 that the El Niño truly burst on the scene.

That season, heavy rains drenched parts of California, resulting in major agricultural damage that totalled roughly $1 billion US and killed 19 people. Globally, more than 23,000 people died. Images of landslides and floods were splashed across television screens. There were even bumper stickers that read, "Don't blame me! Blame El Niño!"

lol. lmao.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Plumps posted:

imagine how much coal you could dig up with a fusion powered coal digger

Someone post that diagram of the nuclear powered oil sands extractor

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

this is kinda just dumb, income != investment

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

starkebn posted:

I've heard the opinion that the tales of the great flood that are in the myths/histories of many cultures stem from the unstoppable and seeming unending enroachment of the oceans as the ice Age ended. The sea level rose for thousands of years and people had to rebuild and move settlements over and over..

This podcast has a great piece on this:

https://youtu.be/cq1g8czIBJY?t=1413

Play from 23:10

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Complications posted:

they already nuked conventional nuclear energy

Wheeee posted:

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
remember that time back in the good old days when they used a nuke to do fracking for natural gas and it made all the gas radioactive

we need more of that spirit

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yes, if we stopped producing any CO2 right this instant it would indeed lead to a warmer earth for several years.

I, an insane moron, think that a few years of +2.3° would uncork enough feedback loops there would be no return. Eg we are totally hosed no matter what, there is absolutely no way out.

Presumably there is a small cohort of powerful people who know this but also somehow consider money to be real and believe they can accrue enough to protect themselves, and that's why the accelerator is staying slammed to the floor

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
That paper from Hansen Et Al someone mentioned a few days ago more or less believes that even if we stopped all emissions today, 10c of warming by 2100 is more or less guaranteed based solely on the existing amount of forcing?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Who on this thread is Ben? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB6smZzFgVY

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1662120192028147713?s=20

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

if i had the energy to write an entire essay about this i would probably posit that "the time to act is now" was a feasible thing to tell people any time between the end of the second world war and the very beginning of the 1970s, and any time after the 1980s was going to be utterly hopeless. deepening social inequities brought on by anti-labour politics of the 1980s in the western world completely brain-poisoned entire generations of people into rejecting basically any message they hear in literal terms, particularly one suggests they might be ready to miss out on something. the western world is particularly averse to changes to their lifestyle and now some people react to any change with hostility, even if it doesn't in any way affect them. i know it's an incredibly tiny minority of people, but the fact that most people are cognizant of a trend of destroying 2-4s of bud light with baseball bats because it's tangentially sponsored by a trans woman is telling of how some of us react to change now.

even people who don't react to ripples of social change with the same frothing hostility as your average chud are completely resistant to having their lives change. COVID did not help. it made people less malleable and adaptable, not more. these social changes are inevitable and strictly tied to our material conditions, which are already changing rapidly and are going to get much worse, but the majority of people you interact with are going to say the same thing: "don't blame me," which is followed up by the suggestion, "and since it's not my fault, i shouldn't have to change." and by change, i don't mean "do something", i mean literally tolerate the changing material conditions that are coming for everyone.

what i'm saying here is that this is going to get so, so much funnier.

it would be funny if he was a goon but was strictly on FYAD or something

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

imporant to keep that sulfur in the air

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
doing my part to geoengineer the planet by flying to Bali and then over to Ibiza for a nice weekend get away :smug:

individual action, it works y’all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Just spitballing here, but is there a way to make planes run on coal? That could really help things out.