Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Command

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The devilshorned ogres of Azjakuma can also stack siege ability high enough to get 3 day siege ticks, which is exactly as broken as it seems.

So let’s all please show some courtesy, some sympathy, and some taste.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Update and info on the next campaign on the previous page.

Just a reminder to everyone that I won't be counting votes made in the thread, please vote at the link if you haven't already.

https://strawpoll.com/polls/wAg3A8WNoy8

Magissima posted:

Iirc Reveria's content doesn't lean into evil as much as the other options, but it is a fun campaign.

I could probably find eviler human nations out there. The Old Sun Cult immediately springs to mind, also Vertesk, and someone mentioned the bird riders in Haless as an option. I went with these guys in the end for a bit more variety with some naval/colonial options and good old-fashioned viking-ing.

Plutonis posted:

Ozovar ain't that bad, creepy mind control runes notwithstanding.

I suppose so, what's a little mind control between allies?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I will note that the ogres content is actually technically incomplete: there's going to be a horrific disaster affecting all of Haless directly caused by their meddling with the temples that will also be a part of The Command's content as well.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Vertesk is absolutely the worst human nation. It's hard to top slavery capitalism, honestly. I voted for Aelnar (the classic), Gemradcurt (because I did a run as one of the other winter nations before their MT was added and didn't want to do another one so soon) and Ashienade (because I want to see how it plays.)

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 25, 2023

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Sybot posted:

I could probably find eviler human nations out there. The Old Sun Cult immediately springs to mind, also Vertesk, and someone mentioned the bird riders in Haless as an option. I went with these guys in the end for a bit more variety with some naval/colonial options and good old-fashioned viking-ing.

Luciende is a pretty evil option, though I'm not super into the random elf waifu you get. That said, having all of Cannor declare war on you for eating their diplomatic delegation and the late-game buffs you can stack are pretty nuts. A good counterweight to Ashiendale's more traditional hidden vampires.

On a similar note, the drunk dwarfs turning all of Haless into ale is a great run, but doubling up on dwarf runs wouldn't be the most interesting.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bianfang is also a good choice for Tyrantmaxxing as an Evil Nation and for an esoteric nation, maybe Varhanhar or whatever is the Harimari formable on Rahen that has absurd military buffs while enforcing brutal casteism.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Is the old sun cult really evil? I thought their thing was not bowing to religiously-mandated elvish superiority.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

NewMars posted:

Is the old sun cult really evil? I thought their thing was not bowing to religiously-mandated elvish superiority.

Depends on the tag but IIRC the 'main' OSC tag leans somewhat towards oppressing the elves in turn rather than liberation for all (which is more Jaddish)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My main vote was for Mykx because who doesn't love a bunch of matriarchal demon-worshipping slave-sacrificing drug-running pirates? That's right, you will be playing as the British in the Carribean.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

NewMars posted:

The OSC by itself is not evil but the main OSC tags that people know about are definitely on the proto-fascist side of things.

I will eventually finish my development of the nice OSC guys in Aelantir, I promise :v:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Azjakuma or Chaingrasper, IMO. In that order.

I agree with this, Chaingrasper is simply an amazing playthrough

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Asheniande

Let's be vampire emperors, that sounds like a blast!

E: oh strawpoll, oops!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Let's Hearthome - Hexfoe - Harvest with Newshire – Halflings

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I voted Aelnar because it’s quite probably the evilest.

Dak Chaingrasper is just a little guy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

The OSC by itself is not evil but the main OSC tags that people know about are definitely on the proto-fascist side of things.

I will eventually finish my development of the nice OSC guys in Aelantir, I promise :v:

Oh, you working on uhh Zanlib?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Oh, you working on uhh Zanlib?

In theory, yeah. Been really busy for the last few months with other stuff though so I found someone to collab with to do a lot of the nittier grittier numbers work while I work on fluff. Now there are two people who are sitting on Zanlib not doing much :v:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

In theory, yeah. Been really busy for the last few months with other stuff though so I found someone to collab with to do a lot of the nittier grittier numbers work while I work on fluff. Now there are two people who are sitting on Zanlib not doing much :v:

Are they still taking people to work on story stuff for factions, or?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Are they still taking people to work on story stuff for factions, or?

Yeah, the discord's always open to contributors, you just need to get past the gauntlet of proposals and paperwork they need you to provide to get a pass on adding new content to the mod officially just because it's so huge nowadays.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Ibblebibble posted:

My main vote was for Mykx because who doesn't love a bunch of matriarchal demon-worshipping slave-sacrificing drug-running pirates? That's right, you will be playing as the British in the Carribean.

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised they aren't running away with all the votes.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009

inscrutable horse posted:

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised they aren't running away with all the votes.

I'm more surprised that people aren't jumping to vote for best boi Dak. When I was deciding on who to include I was concerned he'd dominate the vote. Instead we have a surprising number of votes for elves.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Colonialism elves are a very distinct play style compared to the dwarves.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sybot posted:

I'm more surprised that people aren't jumping to vote for best boi Dak. When I was deciding on who to include I was concerned he'd dominate the vote. Instead we have a surprising number of votes for elves.

who the gently caress keeps voting for elves in the poll. show yourself, cowards. elves suck

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Personally I'm all in on vampires, Vampire Counts is one of my favorite Warhammer factions. But eco-terrorist halflings and drugged up pirates are also pretty top tier.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Aelnar are really massively evil, and also have a big mission tree that can take you in several different directions. If you don't plan to try them out yourself, it's well worth to vote for them in order to see their honestly impressive depravity in the LP.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

McGavin posted:

who the gently caress keeps voting for elves in the poll. show yourself, cowards. elves suck

I’m also sure Sybot is not looking forward to writing posts roleplaying as an actual Nazi

at least the others have some nuance or novelty value

Autisanal Cheese fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 27, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ah, yes, the nuance in...

*checks notes*

Literally eating people.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009

Autisanal Cheese posted:

I’m also sure Sybot is not looking forward to writing posts roleplaying as an actual Nazi

at least the others have some nuance or novelty value

I wouldn't have included them if I wasn't okay with at least making the attempt, otherwise I would have gone for the more straightfoward zealots of Rezankand or the ruling-them-for-their-own good Sunrise Empire for the Elven choice. There are definitely ways I can take it if it does end up getting way too uncomfortable, especially since I'm pretty sure most of the voters are actually voting for Lithiel

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Hellioning posted:

Ah, yes, the nuance in...

*checks notes*

Literally eating people.

look, some people deserve to get ate. Cannibal-phobic much??

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AnoHito posted:

The devilshorned ogres of Azjakuma can also stack siege ability high enough to get 3 day siege ticks, which is exactly as broken as it seems.

So let’s all please show some courtesy, some sympathy, and some taste.

this is, for dumb reasons, only really a thing that happens because the ai is so aggressively bad. defensiveness is absurd in anbennar and you can trivially get +83% fort defense on every fort between edicts and mage estate.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

I voted Aelnar because it’s quite probably the evilest.

Dak Chaingrasper is just a little guy.

One little guy, one little vote.

It's his birthday.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Epilogue: Crystal Spires

At Orlghelovar

Sunlight touched every corner, every depth and every height of the cavern. If one looked up at the expansive ceiling above them, they would see the emblems of the holds of the Reach carved out and filled with coloured glass. Modern buildings of steel and glass reached up towards them, hard-working citizens visible through their blue-tinted windows. In the light, everything shone brilliantly, a demonstration of what the Union had accomplished to anyone who visited.

The Western Central Station was filled with crowds of such visitors. Whether diplomats, tourists, merchants, or immigrants, they could not help but stop and stare at displays above and around them as they stepped off their trains. The entire uppermost layer of Orlghelovar had been turned into a place that welcomed members of all races, with a more open-air feel after removing many of the older and taller structures that had filled it. The station itself now took up much of the floor, offering rail travel further into the mountains and out into Ourdia and Bahar, as well as trips down the central avenue into the deeper parts of the hold, where the real science and industry took place.

Magūn Stromanvil, Mayor of Orlghelovar and President of the Union, passed through the crowds with very little fanfare, save for a pair of bodyguards one step behind him. At one time in his life, he might have expected to be noticed, but time and rulership had softened his view of things. In reality, he was just a piece of the machine that kept the Union running, nothing more or less.

"Boss-man, don't miss your stop!" a familiar voice called out. Draped over the rail at the front of a train carriage was a short, greenish-brown goblin in a waistcoat and top hat, wiggling her fingers at him to get his attention.

It seemed as though he'd be having company for his journey.

Highest development

The train began to roll out of the hold and down the slopes into Ourdia, bound for the port at New Corveld. Glittering steam rolled past the windows as the Damestear-infused coal engine chugged and hissed its way up to full power. He had a carriage to himself for security reasons, though that wasn't counting his security detail, the Mechanim staff, or his unexpected travelling companion.

"Wealthy few or marginal masses?" Shalte said suddenly. She was twirling a stylus between her fingers as she awaited Magūn's response.

"Excuse me?" he responded. If there had been a topic of conversation, prior to that sudden question, he'd missed it.

"The spires, what'cha think?" she replied, tapping the train window.

In the distance the mountainside above Orlghelovar was still visible, and in the light of day it sparkled. After reaching the lowest levels it was possible to dig, the only way to expand the city had been to go upwards. New construction techniques made it perfectly viable, and resulted in multiple towers, primarily made of glass, reaching up out of the mountain like a glass giant gripping at the cliff face. It had been more of an experiment than anything else, and the exact usage for the new floorspace had yet to be decided.

And that must have been Shalte Bright-Eyes' question. Despite her very goblin demeanour, she still held the economist seat on the Enlightened Ten, and multiple degrees in economic theory and practice, not to mention a storied career as an artificer.

"Some of the commercial head offices and hoteliers are petitioning to buy space," Magūn said, "and I'm inclined to let them. The surface spires are still experimental."

"Sure, sure," Shalte replied. She scribbled something on the glass pad she was holding, then paused, activated the self-cleaning function, and wrote something different. "Let the big spenders take on the risk rather than have ten thousand workers dying from summer heat."

The President opened his mouth, but she continued before he could get a word in.

"But have you considered precedent at all," she said, pointing the stylus right at him, "economics; social science, not hard science. Start off with 'this district is for the rich', that sets a precedent. Crystal spires become corporate offices and top-market hotels, and the average Balin never even sees 'em."

"That can be changed," Magūn retorted, "the cost will come down as we build more. The government can hold onto some as social housing and cultural centres."

"True," Shalte said, "glad you had it in mind. Gotta keep you on your toes, you've got a way with fancy words but you're not on top of how money can messes with ya."

"I'm always thankful for the advice of you and your colleagues," Magūn said, "the Enlightened Ten are an invaluable part of our society."

Shalte broke out in giggles.

"Maybe chat with the sociologists 'bout that when you're back," she said. She set down the pad and stylus and looked Magūn right in the eyes. "You gotta to be ready to shift the precedent. Blackbeard took my folk in, gave us a chance, where no other dwarf would. Whitebeard established the E-Ten, shut down the last cartels, built a society around science."

"I am more than capable of that," Magūn said, "that is what this journey is about. Shifting the paradigm of the wider world, ending the era of imperialist wars and building a lasting peace."

"That's only half of it, though," she said.

Highest income

The foothills had given way to endless open fields dotted with villages that rolled past as the train crossed what had once been Daravan's Folly. The cursed marshes had been drained, a not insignificant engineering project, and resettled by races from across the Union. All the villages, some of them only a decade old or younger, bore signs of the modern architecture of the Union making use of cheap and plentiful glass. Manor houses rose above the fields, shining in the sun with vast ornate windows covering their sides, and the buildings around them were decorated with crystal ornaments both decorative and functional, such as for reflecting sunlight into fields that would otherwise be sheltered by trees and buildings.

No one that they saw as they passed through looked destitute, or even just poor. Even the simplest farmer had the tools to make their land incredibly productive. The understanding of biology that had started with the discovery of blothgoblins had expanded to agriculture, especially diseases and fungi and how to combat them. Mechanim workers and steam-powered farm vehicles were common sights, taking the back-breaking manual labour out of the job. Just like the industrial cities, the rural people of the Union were seeing the economic boom that science and wrought.

"It'll snap, and soon," Shalte said. She handed Magūn the glass pad.

He couldn't exactly get his head around the calculations that she had inscribed onto the pad. His mind was wobbling almost as much as the liquid crystal that formed the runes. Her thoughts, as scratchy as they were, were obvious though. 'Automation crisis'.

"The Mechanim and Arithmatrons will end up taking every job," Magūn said, "that soon?"

"Have you chatted up an Arithmatron recently?" Shalte asked.

As if to punctuate her words, a Mechanim strode past their table and offered them drinks. Magūn accepted his drink, and absent-mindedly said "thank you."

"You are welcome," the Mechanim replied, before silently continuing its stride along the carriage to offer refreshments to the guards.

Magūn stared after it.

"Got the point?" Shalte said, "their magical brain-bits are only getting smarter. Possibly before I croak, and definitely before you do, they'll be replacing bureaucrats and engineers just like they already replaced farm workers and factory labourers."

"And when that happens, the economy will be faced with massive, unresolvable, unemployment," Magūn said. The numbers seemed to add up, to the best of his understanding. When he returned, he would have to talk to the mages in Rizvāmbrčthar and get their thoughts on the developing abilities of their golems.

"Hey, it ain't all hopeless," Shalte said with a grin. She twirled her stylus and caught out of the air. "I've been T-waving this human from Cannor, think he's got some interesting ideas. A man after my own heart, looking at economics like a science."

"What sort of ideas?" Magūn asked.

"I've got a two-fifty-two-page thesis written just for you," she said, spreading her arms and grinning, "I call it Fully Automated Luxury Glass Science Communalism."

Great Powers

More glittering towers were the first sign that the train was approaching its destination. New Corveld, being a city completely rebuilt from scratch, had been the perfect testbed for modern ideas on city planning. A central district, just inland from the harbour, housed a dozen glass towers that housed the administration of countless commercial and industrial companies, including branch offices for Cannorians who wanted a piece of the Union's economy. Around that ran multiple rail lines connecting to a central station and servicing a dozen more stations around the city, and then beyond those rail lines lay several districts, each designed to house one hundred thousand people and hold all the amenities needed for a comfortable life within walking distance. Shimmering transparent bridges soared over the rail lines, canals and Dostanesck River, each made of sturdy sapphire glass and with light rails inbuilt to allow Damestear-powered trolleys to carry passengers from one district to another while the main rail lines connected to the central business district and provided bulk goods.

As the train pulled into the central station, Shalte made sure to throw another dozen writing pads at Magūn, each giving the abstract for a different economic theory she had gotten into her head.

"A little light reading!" she cackled, before departing to whatever business she had in the city.

Magūn handed them to his guards. Maybe he'd read just one or two, and only one the trip back. There were far bigger things for him to consider before the Conference.

Compared to Orlghelovar, the crowds at this station were the workers and businessfolk making their way home at the end of the day. Well-dressed dwarves, humans, elves and gnomes could be seen stepping onto the trains heading for the outer districts, while those still in dirty uniforms from their day in the factories, with a noticeably larger percentage of orcs, half-orcs, goblins, and gnolls among them, boarded crowded trolleys bound for the apartments set up near the industrial districts.

Despite everything, social stratification still existed, and Magūn wondered if that was partially due to the way the city was designed, or if it was a larger problem in the Union as a whole, only made clear by this city's attempt to mingle all classes together. Maybe Shalte already had an idea on how to fix it amongst his reading material.

That was a thought for another day. Instead, he asked his guard to hand over his Sending Array. The latest iteration of the Sending Stone could hold dozens of miniaturized Sending Stones and a tiny stylus capable of voice transcription.

"Castķn, we are waiting for you," he said, speaking up over the hum of the city.

A few minutes later, a lithe half-elf came jogging through the crowds. He slipped through with nary a bump or misstep, weaving past hulking orcs and underfoot gnomes as though they weren't even there. Castķn Véirse, standing out a little in his more traditional robes compared to the industrial workers and tycoons around him, was one the Union's top mages, a diplomat and perhaps a little more on the side.

He stopped just far enough in front of Magūn that the President wouldn't need to look up to look him in the eyes, put his hands together, and offered a bow of apology.

"Shall we talk while walking," he said, "our ship is waiting."

And so, they did. They made their way out to the trolleys, where one waited to take them down the to harbour.

"What's the final call? Did we get everyone?" Magūn asked.
Castķn had a slight smile on his face, one that Magūn recognized well as someone who had to deliver bad news. Then again, who knew how much of that itself was a front, playing the toadying official.

"The Supreme Master has sent a missive calling the Conference a plot of Cannorian and Dwarven imperialism, and the Great Lord of Thąngoya has co-signed it," he said, "both have boycotted the conference. Kheterata has too, though independently of them."

"That sounds better news than expected," Magūn said, "does that mean the rest of the Great Powers will be attending?"

Even three-quarters attendance would be a victory.

"To my knowledge, that is correct," Castķn said, "all the Cannorian powers, including Gawed, will be attending. Bhuvauri has no doubt sent representatives to spite the One Xia, and Ormam have empowered their merchants in the Dameshead to represent their interests at the conference."

Their trolley began to roll, taking them up onto the seemingly spindly, but actually incredibly sturdy, glass bridge carrying them over the station and down towards the industrial districts and the harbour.

"What is your read?" Magūn asked.

"Gawed are joining purely as a matter of their own survival. If they didn't, the Conference could see the rest of Cannor and Escann carve them up without their getting any say in the matter," Castķn said. "Bhuvauri are likely to be willing to set aside old differences and get in on our World Order, in return for the biggest piece of the Halessi economy. Similarly, though with less hostility, for Ormam and the South Aelantir trade."

Magūn nodded. It matched his understanding of the situation among the great powers. Of those nations considered the greatest in the world, the Union stood at the top and the centre. If negotiations broke down and a world-spanning conflagration ensued, the Union would also be at the centre of that. As the trolley reached the peak of the bridge, he caught the view of the setting sun out over the Divenhal Sea, shining over the vast industrial power of the Union, and considered how much now rested on his shoulders.

The Mithrilclad Steadfast

As the trolley approached the harbour, the factories and workshops gave way to warehouses and barracks. Apart from its status as a major trading port, New Corveld was also an important stop for armies and their logistics trains on the way to Cannor. The era when an army could live off the land was long gone, given the advanced weapons and armour that every soldier was outfitted with, supplying scientifically designed ration packs, maintaining devices as complicated as the LAD Cannon, and countless other bits and pieces that you needed an Arithmatron to keep track of.

The number of civilians dropped off rapidly and military personnel replaced them as they approached the naval dockyard. Most were in their casual uniforms, without the signature Sapphire Mithril armour, but guards dotted around were clearly fully geared up and armed with glass rifles and wandlocks, both able to subdue rather than kill if needed.

Some saluted as the trolley passed. Clearly word had gotten around that they'd be having a VIP on board. It wasn't officially a secret, but Magūn suspected that his bodyguard detail would be having words with someone before the day was out.

"How is the situation in Esmaria?" he asked Castķn. The most pressing issue of the day, and likely to be a hot topic at the Conference.

"Busilari forces have entered Sugamber, and the Magisterium is deploying mage brigades to oppose them. They could use it as justification to launch a full invasion of Busilar," Castķn said.

"We have three divisions in Ourdia and Highcliff," Magūn said, "that might be enough to draw a line and stop the fighting."

"If it doesn't give other powers an opportunity to intervene. Lorent would much prefer the fight to happen and weaken both sides," Castķn said, "they might take our intervention as an excuse to stage their own. Maybe against us, even."

International politics was tricky enough when it was a simple case of protecting your allies and destroying your enemies. Attempting to build a world where diplomacy and negotiation could triumph was a step beyond that. The Enlightened World Order was meant to be for all, but had been built on the destruction of Gawed and Kheterata. Even now, the power of the Scientific Army guaranteed the safety of the conference and would be a show of force to the other participants.

One such show of force lay in front of them. A towering wall of metal floating in the harbour, blue light shimmering from its portholes and the occasional flickering of the mageshield covering the hull whenever the gently bobbing water kicked up a bit too much spray. One of the first true metal-clad warships, the Steadfast was near-impenetrable to cannon fire and had a massive coal-fired, Damestear-boosted engine that would allow to keep up with even the speediest sail ship. While most of its armament was standard cannon, though still loaded with artifice in the form of proximity-fused shells, autoloaders, and glass-shot, there was one very prominent exception.

Atop the bow was mounted the largest LAD cannon yet built. While it had not been tested against an enemy, test firing against decommissioned ships had shown it more than capable of annihilating an unshielded wooden ship in single shot, while setting fire to any others close to it in formation. Naval conflict was on the verge of changing forever.

"We'll be sailing in with a very big stick," Magūn said, staring at the weapon, "let us hope we get the chance to speak softly."

The Divided Damesear

As the Steadfast steamed into Anbenncóst, Magūn made sure to stand on deck and get a feel for the city. While he had never quite found his sea legs, the copper dwarves had made great strides over the centuries in helping the land-bound acclimatize to life at sea.

The city was dominated by brick smokestacks, and much of the ancient harbour had been filled in with cranes and gantries. It had extended out and around the elegant elven cityships, which now sat somewhere technically inland having been overtaken by reclaimed land. Most of the traffic, including the Steadfast itself, was instead directed to Newport in the east. It was just as busy as any city in the Union, but with an air of worry about it. The inhabitants kept their heads down in the haze of industry rolling out of the industrial districts and slums further up the river Damesk.

Sourcing that concern was straightforward. Hanging from flagpoles all around were Rose banners of Lorent. The city had been made a protectorate of the Kingdom in one of the many wars defining the end of the 18th Century, and while they wore a velvet glove when handling one of the world's greatest cities, there still remained an iron fist underneath it. There was definitely a major military presence as the Steadfast bumped up against the dock, with what seemed like an entire battalion of Lorentish soldiers waiting for Magūn to escort him to the old Imperial Palace.

"President Stromanvil, welcome to Anbenncóst," the commander said, offering him a salute as he descended from the ship.

The commander was a young and not unattractive ruby dwarf. While Rubyhold was not directly occupied by Lorent, it had pretty conclusively fallen into its sphere of influence. No doubt the Lorentish delegation thought this would make Magūn more amenable and possibly get him to leak something

He acknowledged her, but made a point to let his own bodyguards take the lead in taking up position with the Lorentish escorts. Castķn ended up beside him as they began making their way out the docks, toward the Doveroad that ran through the city, where carriages awaited that would take them to the Palace. Behind them, the ranks of soldiers closed up forming a solid wall between them and the Steadfast.

"If you would, take a look at their weapons," Castķn said in a low voice.

The soldiers escorting them were armed with a mixture of Sparkdrive Rifles, not unexpected as the design was well known, but also rifles with a transparent barrel. It reminded Magūn of the Union's beam rifles, but he did not have the know-how to tell whether they were real beam weapons or non-functional imitations. Either way, it was a clear demonstration by Lorent that they were scientifically on the heels of the Union

"Do you think they intend to intimidate us?" Magūn asked his spy.

"They ought not to be so foolish," Castķn replied, "I do not think they could face the wrath of all the attending nations if something were to happen. Still, it is a message, to you, the keynote speaker of the conference."

"My mind is set," Magūn said, "the facts have not changed. I will set out my vision for the future, and they can follow it or be left behind."

The issue of the day

The Grand Ballroom bustled, but as the lights fitted on the intricate marble setting began to dim, so did the conversation. Dozens of tables had been positioned across the floor, arranged to vaguely resemble a map of the world but with the different delegations mixed so that they interacted with peoples from different regions. Magūn stood on a balcony above the ballroom, a Sending Stone connected to multiple amplifiers around the room mounted on the podium in front of him. An attendant switched in the dwarf-height footstool, allowing him to step up and see the crowd, and he cleared his throat.
"Ladies, gentlemen, people of all races and creeds," he said, his voice echoing out across the ballroom. He did note that, despite his insistence on making the conference as inclusive as possible the majority of attendants were humans, elves and dwarves. Most of the 'monstrous' races could only be found in the Union delegation.

"We are standing at the edge of a new era, one where knowledge and technology have the potential to free us from the shackles that have bound us to war and suffering for millennia.

If I may start with a controversial statement, I believe the events of recent years have made one thing very clear. The Empire of Anbennar is no more. We are standing in the halls of its capital, and its last few princes are being absorbed into successor states as we speak. This is an age of nations, but not one where we need to resolve our differences on the battlefield. We can come together, as individuals and as the states we represent, to unite in the desire for a peaceful resolution.

Once I am done speaking, then the real work will begin. I know that the Magisters are clear in their desire to extend the Ravelian Church and its benefits to the wayward souls of the former Empire, I know that the elves of Ibevar are trying to secure a place for their people in a world that has only scorn for the imperialism of their brethren, and I know that Busilar are attempting to recover from the damage that my own people have done to them over the centuries.

In this forum, we can work out these mutually exclusive goals. We must. There is a path to peace."

The growing power

"This also extends to beyond our borders. The One Xia have rejected our overtures for peace, and continue to expand their grip, relying on superstition and mysticism to maintain a hold on a population that yearns to be free. And yet, a war against them would see millions of lives snuffed out and ancient cities obliterated. Here and now, we have the capability to stop them from seizing an entire continent. With the aid of our comrades attending from Bhuvauri and Tianlou, we can form a cordon where no further aggression is permitted, and only then fight if we absolutely have to. Cut off and still bent towards an outdated philosophy, they will inevitably fall behind.

Though, those are just my thoughts on the matter. I am just one dwarf, and I should not be the one to dictate the future. It should be decided by those people it affects, by all of you here, and by the population of your nations."

The newcomer

"And that too is why I have invited representatives from Ormam and the other nations of Aelantir. From the ashes, they have risen, they have prospered, and now they stand among the greatest powers of Cannor and Haless as equals. We of the Dwarovar had minimal participation in the colonisation of Aelantir, but we know that the continent was not completely uninhabited. The thoughts and desires of the Ruinborn are just as valid as ours, and so long as they are to committed to peace and prosperity, they can join us in the World Order we are building here.

To this end, I am calling for a special summit on the status of the colonial nations across Aelantir. To strip people of the homes they have held for centuries is not something that I wish to do, but we do need to acknowledge the damage done in the rush for land and resources and do our best to recompense the surviving inhabitants of these lands and ensure that they have a say in it going forwards. There is also the matter of the Aelnari remnants, an example of exactly the sort of nation that we must band together to defeat."

The long-term concern

"But we cannot merely sit our high towers and judge the rest of the world. We should, we must, look inwards and make sure that we are not throwing the lives of our people for the sake of expansion, that we have the best interests of our citizens in mind, and that all the peoples within our borders are treated fairly. The days of imperialism need to end, lest we destroy ourselves with the technology that enlightenment has granted us. I ask our most generous hosts, the Kingdom of Lorent, are you intending to give self-determination to the halflings that you have liberated from Gawed? What do you gain by occupying Nimscodd? What if your colonies seek independence? Are the people of this very city willing to have an army of foreigners marching the streets?"

The noise from the Lorentish delegation grew in intensity, but Magūn dialled up the volume on his Sending Stone.

"The Union is not blameless in this. Our occupation of Busilar and establishment of client states in the Deepwoods and Escann are just some of the many crimes we have committed, and I am happy to open negotiations by making major concessions in those regard. All of us here either have committed, or have inherited, injustices. It will be hard, many harsh words will be spoken, but the very fact that we are all here today shows that we are willing to try."

I didn't want to interject into this epilogue, but I only just noticed as I was finalizing this that Lorent had been ruled intermittently for the past century by the Asra dynasty, which is a dwarven dynasty.

A world ready for Enlightenment

"Together, we can build a better future, for ourselves and for the world. We have the technology. We have an eager population. We have brilliant minds, from every race. All we need now, is cooperation. Thank you."

As applause rose from the audience, even from the Lorentish delegation, Magūn stepped back off the footstool and disappeared behind the podium. He did not know how successful the conference would be, but it was a step in the right direction. Perhaps one day, there would be peace enough that every city across the world could raise crystal spires like Orlghelovar. Science had brought them this far, and he trusted that it would continue to do so, long after he was gone and long into the future.

The world awaited him, and he began to descend the steps to the conference floor.

The End

Final Poll Results

Thank you all for voting, the final poll for the top 5 will be up shortly.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
So the world spins ever off into the future, outside of our control or even our perception.

Congratulations on completing the first game, and looking forward to the vote.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Chapter Zero: Pick Your Poison

Small Fellows -> Newshire

Small country, Small fellows

The halfling people are not one for great conquerors and mighty empires. They are content to live a peaceful pastoral life, enjoying good food, good drink, and tending to their plants. That said, they are also fans of a good old-fashioned adventure, and so many young halflings eagerly joined the band of the Small Fellows as it made its way to fight against the Greentide and subsequently start reclaiming Escann.

Their homeland, the Small Country, was once independent but, following the rise of the Kingdoms of Lorent and Gawed, it has since been subjugated and used as a battleground in their regular squabbles. Only the city of Beepeck, under protection of the Emperor of Anbennar, has maintained any semblance of self-rule. This means that if the Small Fellows were to sow the seeds of a halfling nation in Escann it would see a great deal of immigrants eager to take up the fertile and empty fields.

Dustin Smallknight leads the band, an inspiring and kind-hearted halfling, but also an old warrior. He does not expect to live to see a new halfling nation bloom, and instead nurtures the next generation of leaders who will make his dreams reality. He does have a concern, however, that those younger warriors are a bit too eager to feed the soil of Escann with the blood of the enemy, that the mages are getting a bit too experimental with their magic, and that the incoming settlers are a bit too fervent in their rural ideals. He can only trust that a love of family and nature will win through amongst the youngsters.

All of Escann will be their garden, and they will use everything in their power to see it blossom.

A land of countryside, to be kept as so

Duchy of Asheniande

The darkness of the borders

According to legend, the distant ancestors of the inhabitants of the Kingdom of Corvuria, and thus the Duchy of Asheniande that split from it, emerged from the Deepwoods a millennia ago. Perhaps at the time they brought darkness with them. Or perhaps it was during the White Pestilence brought on by the lich, Canrec the Defiler, that such darkness took root. Either way, it is undoubtable that something lurks within the shadows of the Duchy.

If it were not for the darkness, the Duchy would seem normal by the standards of Cannor. Famed for its fertile volcanic soil and the vice-driven haven of Ravenhill, the Duchy was subject to machinations by the kings of Corvuria, which led to it splitting away and falling under the protection of the Empire of Anbennar. Later, it sided with the rightful Silmuna rulers in the Lilac Wars, ultimately suffering defeat along with the rest of the Moon Party and watching as Lorent installed an ally on the Imperial throne.

Young Duke Valeran III has taken up the title after the death of his father during the war, and has found the Duchy at a turning point. Imperial politics will no doubt see the wheels of power turn once again, a movement where he does intend to be on the losing side a second time. To the east, his cousin rules an ailing Corvuria, but will seek any opportunity to unite the two lands. Threats abound, and Valeran wonders if he has the power to meet these challenges.

Yet, his advisors let him in on the secret upon his ascension. Some within the nobility do wield incredible power, power that comes with a price. Blood, the currency of life, the source of power. They lurk in the shadows, feeding off the people that they rule over but enjoying eternal life and personal might matched only by the strongest mages. Valeran is tempted, for their strength could change the future of the Duchy and perhaps see his line climb through the shadows to the heights of Imperial power.

The Masquerade

Azjakuma

The Demon Hills

High in the Demon Hills, nestled against the far eastern end of the Serpentspine Mountains, four ogre clans dwell. Separated by thousands of miles from their brethren and forced to rely on increasingly desperate and dangerous dark rituals as they are hunted by the inhabitants of the lowlands, their forms have become increasingly twisted compared to the ordinary ogre, creating a new subrace, the Oni.

Though considered monsters by the inhabitants of Haless, the Oni are keenly intelligent and studious, having preserved reams of ancient knowledge and devised new forms of magic over the millennia. Each clan wields its own unique powers in the service of personal strength, for that is the way of the Lefthand Path. While the Righteous Path practiced by the lowlanders encourages the personal cultivation of one's lifeforce, or chi, the Lefthand Path instead encourages it to be taken from others. Though the Oni to practice cultivation themselves, they just as eagerly seek ways to grow their chi, such as stealing it from the spirits of mighty temple complexes dotting the continent, or the ritual consumption of lesser practitioners.

Times are rapidly changing. To the west, the Hobgoblin Command has seized control of northern Rahen and threatens to sweep across the continent. To the south, the Xiaken cultivate their power and are on the verge of uniting, while to the east a multitude of nations vie for control of Yanshen and an army of bird-riders prepares to ride south. If the Oni are to survive, they must adapt, grow in strength, and do whatever it takes to drive the peoples of Haless down the Lefthand Path and right into their waiting arms.

The future is one of power. No matter the cost, no matter how evil the course, all Haless will know the power of the Oni.

Lefthand Path

Elfrealm of Venįil -> Empire of Aelnar

A temporary home

Following the Ruin of Aelantir, a fleet of city-ships filled with those fleeing the final days of the War of Two found themselves cast into a strange realm of water where time flowed differently to the outside. A thousand years passed before they saw land again, after Munas Moonsinger sung to the moon and had it guide the elven refugees safely back to reality.

Upon arriving in the Divenhal Sea, the fleet divided itself. Some, adapted to life at sea, decided to sail on forever and travel the world. Some left for Bulwar, where they were revered as heralds of the god Surakel and forged the mighty Phoenix Empire. Some travelled into Cannor, where they allied with the humans defending themselves in the War of the Sorcerer King and ultimately integrated themselves into society, forging many half-elf dynasties.

Some of that final group of elves decided against intermingling and interbreeding with the humans, seeing the inhabitants of Cannor as beneath them and pining for the civilization their forebears had lost. Granted the island of Venįil as reward for their participation in the war, they settled there and plotted their return to the homeland. A new generation grew up revering the artifacts of their forebears and listening to tales of the fall of the elven race and the need for national rebirth.

With the ancient city-ships now permanently moored in Anbenncóst, and most of their inhabitants and their descendants scattered across the continents and uninterested in returning home, the elves of Venįil will have to forge their own fleet, find their own way home, and reclaim and rebuild the elven empire of old.

The ruins beckon, and none of the colonialist lesser races or degenerated survivors will stand in their way.

A home to be cleansed and restored

Grand Corsair Kingdom of Viakkoc -> Grand Republic of Mykx

Scourge-of-all-seas

Gnolls, considered one of the most vicious of the monstrous races, are a common sight on the boundaries of civilization in Sarhal and Bulwar, with some having even settled the hills of Busilar and the marshes of Daravan's Folly. With a tendency to raid, enslave, and devour their slain enemies, they inevitably clash with the societies around them in a constant push-and-pull struggle. Despite this, no enemy has been able to drive far enough into their homeland deep in the Salahadesi Desert to completely wipe them out.

Rumours abound about their creation, that they are the spawn of the demons, or common hyenas mutated by Precursor experiments. Whatever the case, they frequently spill from the desert in vast numbers as their faith leads them into great holy wars led by a demon-empowered messiah that upend history. One such 'Xhaz' started the sequence of events leading to the founding of Castanor, another pushed deep into Cannor and was only ended by draconic intervention.

The Corsair Kingdom of Viakkoc is not one for such mindless rampages, however. Led by Viakkoc XI, the self-proclaimed Sourge-of-all-seas, they are content to ravage the southern coasts of Cannor and subjugate the human settlements on the coasts. Not all gnolls are content with their lot in life, seeking new lands to ravage, new treasures to hoard, and new enemies to taste.

Gnollish society is built on dominance. If a gnoll of sufficient skill was to stand against Viakkoc, they might be able to found their own fleet, break away and settle a haven in a new, undiscovered world. As the land fills with colonists, traders, and seekers of the ancient mysteries of the Precursor Empire, it could become the most lucrative location in the world, far from the eyes of the powerful nations of old.

A perfect place for a pirate to plunder.

A new scourge rises

Vote

The time has come to pick which of these factions we will be playing in the next campaign. You may only vote for a single choice. The other options may return in future depending on what direction I want to go with my next campaign, although that is naturally a long way off.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in Gemradcurt, which sadly did not make the top 5, an AAR for it has just started here on SpaceBattles, by Eric d'Orléans.

For this and for future votes please cast your votes through the link below rather than by posting, but feel free to discuss the options in the thread.

:siren:Vote link below!:siren:

:siren:Vote link above!:siren:

Voting will last 72 hours

Sybot fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 4, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

mykx mykx mykx MYKX

Chronometry
Jul 19, 2022
Yo-ho, all together, hoist the colours high...

Mykx.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I can't say I liked Newshire's tree much because a lot of the missions have timegates. Mykx is a lot of fun, only hampered by the fact you have to wait a lot as flavor-less Viakkoc and Azjakuma is missing their big rear end disaster so pondering either Aelnar or Asheniande.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 4, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gnolltide

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
People! That last image is a link to the poll, I don't think in-thread votes will be counted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009

NewMars posted:

People! That last image is a link to the poll, I don't think in-thread votes will be counted.

That's right, please follow the linked image. I'll edit the post to make it clearer.