Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Day 11:
Average rikishi win% by utchari: 0.23%
Wakamotoharu's win% by utchari: 2.5%

Truly one of the most hair-raising kimarite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lucasar posted:

Day 11:
Average rikishi win% by utchari: 0.23%
Wakamotoharu's win% by utchari: 2.5%

Truly one of the most hair-raising kimarite.

I was still at work (from home) when that happened and I nearly shouted down the phone call I was on

anakha posted:

Day 11: Teru was taking no poo poo today. Those clamps came on FAST.

Also looked like they really hurt, nephew shaking the feeling back into his arms right after :eyepop:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Tobizaru was feeling the pain from the clamps too.

I forget which day it was, but I noticed Hokuseiho using the clamps after Teru used then a few times to great effect.

it seems like a great way to lock down someone smaller than you.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Quite excited to see what Wakamotoharu will end on. July Basho could be an exciting Ozeki push from him.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 11: It looked to me like Hoshoryu was paying attention to Meisei's match; he came in quick and just a little offset to try to avoid the clamps, I think. Unfortunately for him, Teru was paying attention too and wasn't letting anyone pull that one again.

The Wakamotoharu match was fantastic.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Found out more about the two lovely foreign fans at Osaka that nearly blackballed BuySumoTickets.com:

The fans tried to enter the stadium with their sales invoice, and when they were rightly refused, started loudly raising a fuss until they were asked to leave. They never opened the ticket envelope that actually had their tickets, nor did they ever contact BuySumoTickets about "whurr ticket?" Eventually they did get the bright idea to open the envelope, but were then refused entrance because of their tantrum earlier in the day.

loving gaijin ruining it for the rest of us!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bentai posted:

Found out more about the two lovely foreign fans at Osaka that nearly blackballed BuySumoTickets.com:

The fans tried to enter the stadium with their sales invoice, and when they were rightly refused, started loudly raising a fuss until they were asked to leave. They never opened the ticket envelope that actually had their tickets, nor did they ever contact BuySumoTickets about "whurr ticket?" Eventually they did get the bright idea to open the envelope, but were then refused entrance because of their tantrum earlier in the day.

We're not sending our best.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Did Wakamotoharu and Wakatakamoto do a blood ritual to drain the essence from Wakatakakage's knees?

Just asking questions about if perhaps there was a blood magic sumo ritual.

Or maybe WMH and WTM just decided they're good at sumo now?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bentai posted:

Lmao this is somehow so so so much worse than I could have imagined

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A really good day of sumo. Glad to see Takayasu back and winning.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

JSA announced Day 13 matches.
Terunofuji vs Asanoyama. Odd they'd put these two up before day 14 or 15.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Bentai posted:

JSA announced Day 13 matches.
Terunofuji vs Asanoyama. Odd they'd put these two up before day 14 or 15.

Day 15 is gonna be reserved for Keisho unless he goes kyujo (I hope he gets his kk soon so he can do so). They probably want Day 14 set aside for Kiribayama since he's at 9-2 and a sekiwake to boot.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 12: Hokuseiho vs Hoshoryu - the first of hopefully many Hakuho-Asashoryu proxy matches lol

Experience and technique won out this time.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Day 12: Kiribayama reaches 33 wins with 3 days left to go, looks like we have a new ozeki.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Day 12: WMH looked good against Terunofuji, if he hadn't gotten pulled to the side at the edge he might have had a shot at forcing Teru out. Unlikely, though, Big T is strong at the edge from what I've seen.

Hoshoryu wriggling out from under the crushing embrace of Hokuseiho looked like a recipe to combat Hokuseiho's Be Big pro strat.

Congrats to Kiribayama and good looking getting your 33rd win against an Ozeki.

Kinbozan and Onosho not looking great.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Did Wakamotoharu and Wakatakamoto do a blood ritual to drain the essence from Wakatakakage's knees?

Just asking questions about if perhaps there was a blood magic sumo ritual.

Or maybe WMH and WTM just decided they're good at sumo now?

Of course we still have to see if this time he ends up with a 6-1, but so far Wakatakamoto has gotten plenty of 5-2 scores from around his current rank, there tends to be quite a significant difference in competition between Ms25~ and like the top 10 ranks or so of that division, so I don't really think this is anything out of the ordinary for him.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Ura is a wizard.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I love sumo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
ura with another kimarite not seen since tungsten arm

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ura and Tobi grinning like loons at the end of their match was good for the soul

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It's funny that this thread has hardly mentioned Takakeisho this basho, he has been a real non entity.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Because he's injured, I'm actually surprised he's doing so well.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Me when seeing Ura and Tobizaru squaring up: "This should be something."

Me after the match: "That sure was something."

Loved it.

Edit: In addition to takakeisho being injured and having a very mediocre performance because of it (at least by his standard), there's a bunch of other interesting stories:

A four sekiwake race to ozeki (even if Daiesho and Hoshoryu would be long shots)
Asanoyama and Terunofuji returning to makuuchi (after being absent for very different reasons)
And two young rising stars trying to prove themselves.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 25, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Nativity In Black posted:

A four sekiwake race to ozeki (even if Daiesho and Hoshoryu would be long shots)

Looked to me like Hoshoryu and Wakamotoharu would have been the longshots, Kiribayama was obviously the best set up for it but Daiesho isn't that far off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Daiesho has the numbers but I thought they only considered tournament records at sanyaku?

Edit: I just revisited the Wikipedia article about this and I guess not. In that case, let's fuckin go Daiesho.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 25, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
It depends, I think another 12-3 would've done it, but it is hard to say.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Sorry that I haven't been updating, but I do still have everyone's records here going into Day 13:

Day 12 Standings:
code:
46	bessantj
44	Thauros
43	Khizan
42	anakha
42	Gaghskull
41.5	Akiosan
41.5	Average Lettuce
41.5	Fearless
41.5	Samuel L Hacksaw
40.5	Helianthus Annuus
40	Saturnine Aberrance
39.5	Chinook
38.5	MyChemicalImbalance
38	Crusty Nutsack
38	Mode 7
38	whats for dinner
37.5	Bentai
37	Charles Gnarwin
36.5	Lid
36	Dead Goon
36	Tiny Bug Child
35.5	pseudodragon
35	NTRabbit
32.5	Eli949
31.5	QuasiQuack
31.5	Single Tight Female
30.5	bartolimu
30.5	oldskool
30	Ice Phisherman
29	Banana Canada
26	Xerzes
24	Pakled
22	Beexoffel
It's still close at the top with make-koshi/kachi-koshi coming in to boost everyone to new highs and lows.

I'm not surprised they set Asanoyama up to meet Teru today. If he wins today, it's plausible that there will be a three way tie at 11-2 with Kiribayama. That would set up either Asanoyama or Terunofuji to go against Kiribayama on day 14 or 15 or possibly one after another to test Kiri for promotion.

Kiribayama definitely had the best set up coming into this, boasting the yusho in March. He can absolutely put an exclamation point on it in the next day or two.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 13:

Hell yeah Keisho keeps his rank. Now take the last two days off and rest up.

Guess tomorrow decides the basho.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Day 13: lmao at all the hype for the Terunofuji vs Asanoyama match and in the end it all seemed so simple for Teru. Kinda weird that we will have Teru vs Kiri tomorrow, are they expecting Teru to fight Takakeisho on the last day?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Average Lettuce posted:

Day 13: lmao at all the hype for the Terunofuji vs Asanoyama match and in the end it all seemed so simple for Teru. Kinda weird that we will have Teru vs Kiri tomorrow, are they expecting Teru to fight Takakeisho on the last day?

don't they usually try to save the highest ranked match for day 15?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

don't they usually try to save the highest ranked match for day 15?

They will also give special thought to avoiding the need for playoffs later on. If Teru wins here, his road to victory is easier than having the complete clusterfuck of standings at the top that this could have become.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
natto been pulled again because nhk is dumb

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

At some point these channels should just accept that nhk is not willing to play ball and switch to abema.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Lid posted:

natto been pulled again because nhk is dumb

lol just increase the number by 1 as usual https://www.youtube.com/@nattosumo7 (8 is already set up and ready to go :D)

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Kintamayama currently lurks about as "Mord Dresner" on youtube as well if your time is more limited.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Lucasar posted:

I want people to start attacking Hokuseiho's legs with sotogake

Quoting myself for no reason at all.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Day 12 Standings:
code:
29	Banana Canada
No trades from me so my score total should be:

Day 12
Takakeisho 7-5
Hoshoryu 8-4
Ura 6-6
Tananosho 4-8
Hokuseiho 8-4

7 + (8+1) + 6 + (4-0.5) + (8+1) = 34.5

Day 13
Takakeisho 8-5
Hoshoryu 9-4
Ura 7-6
Tananosho 5-8
Hokuseiho 8-5

(8+1) + (9+1) + 7 + (5-0.5) + (8+1) = 39.5

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I imagine Kiribiyama has sealed up an Ozeki promotion, which is neat, and Wakamotoharu should be in decent position to give it a go next time. The logjam might be finally breaking somewhat.

Also OCHIAI!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
What's the highest rank someone's made their makuuchi debut at? Gonoyama's gonna have to be placed real high since this score of his is coming from J1e. Bright future for Goeido's student.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
We are all those two excited women on the left far corner