Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Nessus posted:

My Radracer has served me well but I am, knock wood, getting a significant pay raise at work and I thought I might move to a new model, as Mr. Radracer is a little creaky and was purchased long enough ago that I doubt it represents the state of the art.

This caught my eye, does anyone have practical experience? https://www.mokwheel.com/products/basalt

The 400 pound cargo capacity really caught my eye, going to admit

Seem to be pretty standard 48v 20AH 4" hub bike config. But torque sensor is new. I haven't seen it on other fatbikes.

If you want to compare to other bike in almost exactly the same spec, check out Himingway Zebra and Magicycle cruiser pro.

This $1000 extra solar panel setup is interesting. I have never seen this angle from other ebikes before. I wonder how fast recharge the battery in a summer sunny day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Seem to be pretty standard 48v 20AH 4" hub bike config. But torque sensor is new. I haven't seen it on other fatbikes.

If you want to compare to other bike in almost exactly the same spec, check out Himingway Zebra and Magicycle cruiser pro.

This $1000 extra solar panel setup is interesting. I have never seen this angle from other ebikes before. I wonder how fast recharge the battery in a summer sunny day.
Yeah my current one has fat tires and I've liked them, although I don't think it would necessarily be mandatory or anything. It does seem to add a lot of stability at low speeds and I haven't had any drama with the tires. I don't anticipate extended off-roading - at most I might go on a 10-15 mile ride through some relatively well-used trails. I doubt I would get the solar package but I could see it being very helpful; I have entertained fantasies of planning out some route where I would have thirty miles between some kind of fleabag motel or airBNB and could wend my way somewhere as a vacation journey.

Looking through all of these the Basalt seems to give me the most confidence based entirely on the ad copy, though it's good to know this is an established niche.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

If you want to solar charge your ebike, you can do it for pretty cheap if you can wire up the connectors.

Solid controller for $210
Cheaper controller for $60

With a 100w panel ($80 or so for a heavy rigid one, $115 or so for a lighter flexible one that will fail unless you brace it well), you'd be lucky to get 1a of charge at 48v in real conditions. If you can get that, however many AH of your 48v battery you actually use, that's how many hours it would take to charge it back up, best case. You can get more if it's sunny and the angles are perfect but good luck with that.

Still, if you can actually charge at that same 1a (or roughly 50w) while riding, and you are using a low assist level of 75w like me, you'll double your range.

In regular use I charge my 48v battery up to 51v, and recharge it at 46v or so, so I only end up using 6-8AH out of the battery's total capacity of 19.2AH. I'd charge it higher and discharge it lower for a long trip, though.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Man_of_Teflon posted:

If you want to solar charge your ebike, you can do it for pretty cheap if you can wire up the connectors.

Solid controller for $210
Cheaper controller for $60

With a 100w panel ($80 or so for a heavy rigid one, $115 or so for a lighter flexible one that will fail unless you brace it well), you'd be lucky to get 1a of charge at 48v in real conditions. If you can get that, however many AH of your 48v battery you actually use, that's how many hours it would take to charge it back up, best case. You can get more if it's sunny and the angles are perfect but good luck with that.

Still, if you can actually charge at that same 1a (or roughly 50w) while riding, and you are using a low assist level of 75w like me, you'll double your range.

In regular use I charge my 48v battery up to 51v, and recharge it at 46v or so, so I only end up using 6-8AH out of the battery's total capacity of 19.2AH. I'd charge it higher and discharge it lower for a long trip, though.

You use these controllers in place of the charger brick? If you have a proprietary battery plug connect to your charging brick, can you add some kind of plug and unplug adopters to the OEM charger cable, so you can plug the last section into the solar controller?

Is there some kind of easy aftermarket flat panel accessory you can hang on the rear rack, and you glue the solar panel on it?

If the total solution is around 10-20 pounds, I think its a decent alternative to a 2nd battery, which weights a ton.

edit: all the bike examples on that controller page are not traditional 2-wheel bikes. I think its hard to implement for normal bike.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 26, 2023

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

You use these controllers in place of the charger brick? If you have a proprietary battery plug connect to your charging brick, can you add some kind of plug and unplug adopters to the OEM charger cable, so you can plug the last section into the solar controller?

Is there some kind of easy aftermarket flat panel accessory you can hang on the rear rack, and you glue the solar panel on it?

If the total solution is around 10-20 pounds, I think its a decent alternative to a 2nd battery, which weights a ton.

edit: all the bike examples on that controller page are not traditional 2-wheel bikes. I think its hard to implement for normal bike.

It is definitely more of a cargo bike/trailer expedition solution. I just have a flatbed trailer that gets loaded up with cargo and then the panel gets strapped on top. This is what two 50w panels looks like.

You are correct that you would need to solder up an appropriate connector to the charger so that the output on it could plug into your battery.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm looking for a recommendation for an ebike for BuRnInG mAn. If you're not super familiar, it's a giant desert art party and everybody only gets around via foot power, bike, or giant weird art car that has to be preapproved (i.e. you can't just tool around in a sedan, it has to be like a pac-man ghost or fire octopus). The ground there is flat but gets really rutted and covered in the shittiest alkaline clay dust, so I'm looking for something with fat wheels and not a lot of finicky parts. I don't need speed (technically the event-wide speed limit is 5 MPH), just reliability and also the ability to plug in to battery power for accessories. Price-wise, I'm looking on the cheaper end, $1000-$1300 ideally. Thanks!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just whatever super73 copy e-mopad you can for cheap on Amazon or Alibaba.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for an ebike for BuRnInG mAn. If you're not super familiar, it's a giant desert art party and everybody only gets around via foot power, bike, or giant weird art car that has to be preapproved (i.e. you can't just tool around in a sedan, it has to be like a pac-man ghost or fire octopus). The ground there is flat but gets really rutted and covered in the shittiest alkaline clay dust, so I'm looking for something with fat wheels and not a lot of finicky parts. I don't need speed (technically the event-wide speed limit is 5 MPH), just reliability and also the ability to plug in to battery power for accessories. Price-wise, I'm looking on the cheaper end, $1000-$1300 ideally. Thanks!

Probably just rent something and bring a goal zero thing for your accessories. If the speed limit really is 5mph you do not need an ebike.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just whatever super73 copy e-mopad you can for cheap on Amazon or Alibaba.

Don't do this pls

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Probably just rent something and bring a goal zero thing for your accessories. If the speed limit really is 5mph you do not need an ebike.

Don't do this pls

Recharging won't be a problem, we'll have a genny. The speed limit isn't really enforced on bikes up to around 15mph or so, just mentioned it to say I won't need to rip around at 30mph. The deep rutting of the ground and enormity of the event (9 mile perimeter) coupled with the temps make manual bikes enough of a pain in the rear end where I want to splurge on something better. I also want to modify it enough where renting and returning won't be an option.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Try a P1-5S or a P1-G. Google “piss pig” for your local dealer.

Diss aside Radracer and Aventon both approach that range. Maybe look for a used one in the area?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The idea of buying a disposable ebike for a one off-event is so lame. Best of luck

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If you buy a lovely ebike for Burning Man, please be willing to haul away and recycle a couple extra lovely MOOP ebikes.

edit: also this

The idea of buying a disposable ebike for a one off-event is so lame. Best of luck

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
Maybe the JackRabbit. Fewer parts to maintain, and more travel friendly. I haven't been to Burning Man, but it seems like it could be neat for certain kinds of camping. I have yet to ride one, but a group ride buddy got one after hurting his leg on a onewheel and he spoke positively of it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

If you buy a lovely ebike for Burning Man, please be willing to haul away and recycle a couple extra lovely MOOP ebikes.

edit: also this

Whoaaaaa, never said I wasn't going to use it for future burns and regionals. I was just describing the environment for people who hadn't been. :sweatdrop: I want to get a second e-bike because I don't want to break or lose my primary one at the burn.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You can just get an old rear end ebike with a dying battery and bolt on all the mad max fetish gears to make it a burning man bike.

Really you should just get a 20 year old ebikd with led acid battery to complete that look.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

You can just get an old rear end ebike with a dying battery and bolt on all the mad max fetish gears to make it a burning man bike.

Really you should just get a 20 year old ebikd with led acid battery to complete that look.

Strap a warboy on the back of it to spit distilled water directly into the battery for a speed boost?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't stop there. Remove the outer casing on the lead acid batteries and put them in a clear acrylic tank built into the triangle, compete work a "water" feature inside with a couple little fountains and maybe a water wheel. Battery fishtank is peak burning man

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Sadly, I'm not in Death Guild's camp. I have fought in their Thunderdome though.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I've had my eye on a long tail cargo bike. At the moment I have a Lectric XP 1.0 and a large dog trailer that I also use for cargo. I would like to have the same capacity for hauling stuff and the dog without having to faff around with a trailer and a higher torque motor really meant for this job.

What I would like to build is a sort of bike pickup truck with a platform that can hold a large plastic tub securely on the back or a bunch of bags held down with a cargo net. I'm trying to find examples of people doing this, but I only see it on the front loader type cargo bikes and I'm wondering if there's a reason for that. Does it make the center of gravity too high? Is the back rack too narrow and can't handle that wide of a load?

Edit: by large plastic tub I mean the 27 gallon tubs they sell at Costco.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 31, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You mean like an electric trike but with a long bed?

Like a commercial package delivery trike?

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...0&bih=692&dpr=3

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 31, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Gangringo posted:

I've had my eye on a long tail cargo bike. At the moment I have a Lectric XP 1.0 and a large dog trailer that I also use for cargo. I would like to have the same capacity for hauling stuff and the dog without having to faff around with a trailer and a higher torque motor really meant for this job.

What I would like to build is a sort of bike pickup truck with a platform that can hold a large plastic tub securely on the back or a bunch of bags held down with a cargo net. I'm trying to find examples of people doing this, but I only see it on the front loader type cargo bikes and I'm wondering if there's a reason for that. Does it make the center of gravity too high? Is the back rack too narrow and can't handle that wide of a load?

Edit: by large plastic tub I mean the 27 gallon tubs they sell at Costco.

This guy uses a U-Line crate on his longtail to carry his dog around. Seems pretty rugged but it would take a fair bit of training for a dog to get used to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nbrn4jC7FY

Last I checked there's a minimum order and shipping can cost an arm and a leg.

https://www.uline.com/BL_768/Mesh-Straight-Wall-Containers

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 31, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I think you should consider a hybrid system with some big panniers for the bulk and a shallow crate on top. My mid tail feels most stable when I load up the panniers. I wouldn't want the center of my cargo mass much higher than the top of the rack.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

This guy uses a U-Line crate on his longtail to carry his dog around. Seems pretty rugged but it would take a fair bit of training for a dog to get used to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nbrn4jC7FY

Last I checked there's a minimum order and shipping can cost an arm and a leg.

https://www.uline.com/BL_768/Mesh-Straight-Wall-Containers

Pick up a ULine catalog and flip to the back page. You won't want to order form them regardless of price.

You can get the same thing from McMaster for about the same price. They'll sell individually, but shipping might be a doozie. If you live close to a McMaster warehouse, you might be able to pick up in person.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Safety Dance posted:

Pick up a ULine catalog and flip to the back page. You won't want to order form them regardless of price.

What the hell is that crap about Reagan doing in there?
gently caress Uline.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nocheez posted:

gently caress Uline.

That's relatively tame for ULine. They went off the rails in the last few years. E.g. Summer 2021:

Edit: here's a wealth of examples from 2016 and before: https://www.gawker.com/uline-where-the-boss-wishes-employees-watched-more-fox-1782029287

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 31, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

It doesn't open for me but I'll take your word for it that they're shitheads. Too bad because they have some good quality stuff.

e: lol jesus christ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_and_Elizabeth_Uihlein

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Nocheez posted:

gently caress Uline.

I opened that link with my phone and only saw the freebie page, the one before the last page, I got very confused by the comment lol.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Saw the rei co-op e1.1 and e1.2 in store and made me really want one (or at least a small cargo bike).

Is there anything that's simmilar at that price point? The offerings from Benno and Tern are nicer and better specced but also come at a far steeper price point.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You want a rear hub drive cargo bike? There must be 10 you can order online, all under 2k.

Also 36v is weak for a cargo bike. Don't do it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I think you should consider a hybrid system with some big panniers for the bulk and a shallow crate on top. My mid tail feels most stable when I load up the panniers. I wouldn't want the center of my cargo mass much higher than the top of the rack.
This for sure. Our frontloader feels better to ride the more you load it up. Our longtail feels much, much worse if you load up the deck. The easy solution is gigantic panniers, which all good longtails can be equipped with.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

evil_bunnY posted:

This for sure. Our frontloader feels better to ride the more you load it up. Our longtail feels much, much worse if you load up the deck. The easy solution is gigantic panniers, which all good longtails can be equipped with.

Unfortunately I can't chop my dog in half and evenly distribute her into panniers.

It would be nice if there was any sort of decent front loader in the US that wasn't a billion dollars.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Gangringo posted:

Unfortunately I can't chop my dog in half and evenly distribute her into panniers.

Have you tried? Seems pretty straightforward. Reassembly might be problematic.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Gangringo posted:

It would be nice if there was any sort of decent front loader in the US that wasn't a billion dollars.

Obviously the answer is a second dog to aid in even distribution.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gangringo posted:

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

You want a rear hub drive cargo bike? There must be 10 you can order online, all under 2k.

Also 36v is weak for a cargo bike. Don't do it.

You're right, had a deeper dig and found some other options like Lectric XPedition and Aventon Abound (or Sinch.2 maybe for a more compact bike?). Not sure which of the two brands and options are better to go with since they both look the same I'm guessing support is going to be minimal to non existent after sale for both.

Looking for something I can leave in garage and start minimizing car trips I have to take and also take kiddo to parks in a trailer.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Aventon is a (small) step up from Lectric/Rad

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am a fan of Lectric Xpedition's design decision of having 2 identical batteries.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Is it worth to get the two battery option? I don't forsee needing that much range right now especially for an errand bike at lowest pedal assist.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

paberu posted:

Is it worth to get the two battery option? I don't forsee needing that much range right now especially for an errand bike at lowest pedal assist.

Well you don't need to get 2 battery at first. But standardized battery means you can get one 5 years down the road.

This is one thing I don't like about Ride1up's models, all their bikes seem to have different batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Recharging won't be a problem, we'll have a genny. The speed limit isn't really enforced on bikes up to around 15mph or so, just mentioned it to say I won't need to rip around at 30mph. The deep rutting of the ground and enormity of the event (9 mile perimeter) coupled with the temps make manual bikes enough of a pain in the rear end where I want to splurge on something better. I also want to modify it enough where renting and returning won't be an option.

Unless you're disabled in some way you don't need an e-Bike for burning man you lazy gently caress

Recharging IS a problem, cos you'll need a genny. That's fuel and smoke and noise etc. You're tapping into the global petroleum market and that leaves a hell of a trace.

Jealous you're going though.