Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Do wish we could end up with a manager who wouldn’t poo poo talk the club in pressers. Feels like it shouldn’t be a tough thing but, welp.

I wonder what the common denominator is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Gambling addiction is very real and very hosed, and one of those mental illnesses where many people still tell the person to "just not do it". It ruins your own life and that of the people close to you and I hope that maybe this can be a catalyst for football (and society in general) to have a serious look at its relationship with gambling hahahahahaha

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I have a friend who gambled away $75k in inheritance within 6 months on sports betting.

His bets kept increasing as he would lose and need to "win his money back."

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It's fine because we put a bit at the end of the 7000 adverts on every broadcast that says that if you, a compulsive gambler, think that you are having a problem with gambling, then don't do it

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
*footage of some lads playing 5 a side and having a good time*

We want to make sure everyone enjoys themselves when betting on the football

*lads down the pub with their phones out looking at the latest odds*

so we've teamed up with mental health charity x to come up with the rules for safer gambling

1) don't gamble in a way that makes us look bad
2) give us your loving dough
3) that's it

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
This wouldn't have happened if Ray Winstone's disembodied head was still in charge

Awright boys, you looking for a little in-thread action? How about the latest live posting odds?

quote:

Chuggo
4/1

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

nawilo_420 posted:

Gambling addiction is very real and very hosed, and one of those mental illnesses where many people still tell the person to "just not do it". It ruins your own life and that of the people close to you and I hope that maybe this can be a catalyst for football (and society in general) to have a serious look at its relationship with gambling hahahahahaha

good thing gambling is plastered literally everywhere over football and its only shirt sponsors getting banned in 2026

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I remember seeing that advert that was some drunken lad in a kebab shop flicking through the odds on the Malaysian premier league or whatever and not shortly after one of the lads in a whatsapp group I'm in unironically asked if anyone had any tips for the Japanese cup final or whatever and I did a grim lol

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Maybe I've missed it, but do we know how much he was betting? I remember when Barton's went public, they were just a few quid here and there.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mickolution posted:

Maybe I've missed it, but do we know how much he was betting? I remember when Barton's went public, they were just a few quid here and there.

Just a few quid one thousand two hundred sixty times*

*That they could verify

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Yeah, so gently caress all for a professional football player.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Until you've gone the full paul merson and bet 5 thousand pounds on a carpet bowls tournament do you really have a gambling """problem"""

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i really hope Kane leaves spurs this summer. They currently have no manager, no director of football and are basically only not getting relegated because of his goals

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, so gently caress all for a professional football player.

Remember the German ref who got done taking bribes and it was for something like €15,000 over 3 years? People just never put much thought into how much they're risking their livelihood for

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

the sex ghost posted:

Until you've gone the full paul merson and bet 5 thousand pounds on a carpet bowls tournament do you really have a gambling """problem"""

evergreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaWo7Rq76Ms

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

greazeball posted:

Remember the German ref who got done taking bribes and it was for something like €15,000 over 3 years? People just never put much thought into how much they're risking their livelihood for

Correction, it was €67,000 and a nice TV set for 9 matches. Still a pittance to get banned for life and a prison sentence.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/nov/18/newsstory.sport4

Searching for this I found that Jude Bellingham got a €40,000 fine for calling out one of the other refs who only took "one" bribe but turned the other guy in. That guy's still reffing and you can't mention it even after he gives Bayern a dodgy pen and doesn't check VAR for your team. Lad's doing a good job of picking up the culture.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jose posted:

i really hope Kane leaves spurs this summer. They currently have no manager, no director of football and are basically only not getting relegated because of his goals

It'd be funny if they sold him and then won the league

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It might be funnier if they sold him and he got the golden boot the following season and won the league with his new club

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Thanks Ants posted:

It might be funnier if they sold him and he got the golden boot the following season and won the league with his new club

More likely and so less funny IMVHO

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Thanks Ants posted:

and spurs had to give him and the other club a guard of honour

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

but yeah, nobody still knows what the gently caress is going on with United and if it will actually belong to someone or just to the wind, and I suspect Chelsea and Bayern are the only other clubs that might reasonably be in for him

still, all the noises are that nobody can be bothered to deal with Levy and it'll be easier just to sign him on a free in 2024

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TheRat posted:

Eh, it's just going to be a "I have a gambling problem and I made a lot of bad choices"

Oh no

Does he realise it's an official FA report and not some dude on Facebook?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

and spurs had to give him and the other club a guard of honour

That was very funny

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

TheRat posted:

Oh no

Wonder if he is placing prop bets on who calls him out on this

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

Oh no

Does he realize that he admitted to the 232 charges?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Toney heading off down his Le Tissier path

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

TheRat posted:

Oh no

Given he got his ban reduced partly because the panel felt he was remorseful and agreed to seek treatment this doesn't seem like a great strategy

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i think it's entirely possible he's talking about something other than the charges

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
if you get good enough at math then people will pay you to gamble

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

tbp posted:

if you get good enough at math then people will pay you to gamble

Or football, until you get caught. When the fun stops, stop.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

£80 million transfer, wins next year, falls apart immediately in 24/25.

England’s brave Robin van Persie then.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

sourdough posted:

Did anyone post this? Mourinho ftw lol

I just got up and I genuinely read this as being Poch and I thought he was already happier with Chelsea than Spurs.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1662057532200722432

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao no way

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
IBET by name, I bet by nature

whostolemyhat
Jan 15, 2014

Definitely feels like Toney's trying to talk himself into a longer ban

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

genuinely excited to see lovely little kenilworth rd in the prem next year

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

genuinely excited to see lovely little kenilworth rd in the prem next year

You know what this means.

EA Sports has to put it in the game too :sickos:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Aren't there some rules around capacity etc they have to meet if they stay up?

Because I have absolutely no idea how the gently caress you expand a stadium where reception is quite literally under a bridge and this is a perfectly sensible idea for the entrance to a stand.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.884...i8192?entry=ttu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think the minimum capacity is the same as the football league but there’s a bunch of other upgrades they have to make for media poo poo