Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Mayn event are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Jailton Almeida 3 10.71%
Raquel Pennington vs Irene Aldana 2 1 3.57%
Gegard Mousasi vs Fabian Edwards 1 3.57%
Anything that isn't any of those fights 23 82.14%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Rickson Gracie posted:

Robert E. Lee survived the Civil War, but Archibald Gracie III did not. When Lee received the news that Gracie had been killed by a mortal shell at Petersburg, he wrote, “It was a great grief to me. I do not know how to replace him.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It's pronounced hahcribald

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

kimbo305 posted:

Is the New York Gracie family history stuff not accurate? Most of it seems to line up with googling?

So um I spent a couple minutes reading the wiki entries for these people and lmao all of the people he’s talking about before Carlos seem to be some completely unrelated Gracie family whose history Rickson stole to make his own family’s pre-1900 history more interesting.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i would go clubbing with johnny walker

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

blue footed boobie posted:

So um I spent a couple minutes reading the wiki entries for these people and lmao all of the people he’s talking about before Carlos seem to be some completely unrelated Gracie family whose history Rickson stole to make his own family’s pre-1900 history more interesting.

Can you show your evidence of this and convince me? Because this is hilarious.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

CommonShore posted:

Can you show your evidence of this and convince me? Because this is hilarious.

I don't know how reliable this is but uh

Scotsman.com posted:

Among new arrivals were George Gracie, from Carronhill in Dumfriesshire, emigrated to Brazil in 1801.

As he set sail for South America, he would have had no inkling he was to become a forefather to Brazil’s famous Gracie family - the creators and champions of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu maritial art.

So seems like at least the idea of some Scottish families ending up in Brazil isn't insane, but they're maybe related more further back rather than being directly descended from the ones that ended up in the US?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ilmucche posted:

It's pronounced hahcribald

:lol:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Brut posted:

So seems like at least the idea of some Scottish families ending up in Brazil isn't insane

I don’t think there’s much disputing the Gracies came from Scotland. It’s certainly not the usual Portuguese name.

The beef was with Rickson skipping over how the New York Gracies were related other than casual common ancestry.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I've read Rickson's book and the opening part was indeed quite strange.

The positives about the book are that he goes into mistakes he made in his personal life which was more honest than I was expecting.

I wouldn't really recommend the book as it wasn't super interesting. If you want to read about Jiu Jitsu you should read The Rise and Evolution of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu by Robert Drysdale and also go to http://global-training-report.com/.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
RISE lost Cygames as a sponsor and as a result Abema has picked up the title sponsorship and is moving the big shows to a PPV model on their streaming service, when previously they had aired them all for free live and you could watch the VODs if you had Abema Premium.
https://twitter.com/RISE_2003/status/1660979578586943488
Not a good look but as long as they continue to put the fights up on Youtube a week later at least Tape Delay can live on. The monthly Korakuen Hall shows will be on regular Abema at least.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boco_T posted:

RISE lost Cygames as a sponsor and as a result Abema has picked up the title sponsorship and is moving the big shows to a PPV model on their streaming service, when previously they had aired them all for free live and you could watch the VODs if you had Abema Premium.
https://twitter.com/RISE_2003/status/1660979578586943488
Not a good look

Not a good look meaning Abema is not doing well to switch to this revenue model?
RISE were most likely making most of their money from the gate, right?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Good thread here

https://twitter.com/LiamHealy16/status/1660704023861665802

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

kimbo305 posted:

Not a good look meaning Abema is not doing well to switch to this revenue model?
RISE were most likely making most of their money from the gate, right?
Not a good look in terms of losing a major sponsor, which means that Cygames thought there wasn't any upside left in the company now that Tenshin left.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Those excerpts are incredible. Gracies are wild.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

https://twitter.com/NeoValeTudo/status/1660025425970462720

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

CarlCX posted:

either way i am mentally preparing myself for an interim bantamweight title fight between sean o'malley and fuckin' ricky simon or something

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wtf

Does the twitter thread have the Pete sell (possibly?) Fight where someone takes a liver shot and as they go down they knock out their opponent?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
How long before we have interim title fights on the very next card after the champ fought? So dumb.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Brut posted:

How long before we have interim title fights on the very next card after the champ fought? So dumb.

Hilariously enough this has actually already happened, albeit only technically. The whole 2008 Randy Couture contract spat necessitated an interim title, and then he came back in the middle of the interim title being defended, so at UFC 91 Brock Lesnar beat Randy to win the real heavyweight title and then a month later at UFC 92 Big Nog lost his preexisting interim heavyweight title to Frank Mir.

Which proves heavyweight has always been ahead of the curve at finding ways to be terrible.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

CarlCX posted:

Hilariously enough this has actually already happened, albeit only technically. The whole 2008 Randy Couture contract spat necessitated an interim title, and then he came back in the middle of the interim title being defended, so at UFC 91 Brock Lesnar beat Randy to win the real heavyweight title and then a month later at UFC 92 Big Nog lost his preexisting interim heavyweight title to Frank Mir.

Which proves heavyweight has always been ahead of the curve at finding ways to be terrible.

Hahaha great, but technically not the next event, just the next PPV. I wanna see an interim fight between two 4-days-notice fighters on a fight night the week after a defending champ pisses Dana off by saying something mundane.

To be clear, I don't actually want to see this.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Does the twitter thread have the Pete sell (possibly?) Fight where someone takes a liver shot and as they go down they knock out their opponent?

https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/639489404407578624/mediaviewer

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

they're just gonna do an interim title every time a champ says they're not ready to fight on a specific card now, huh? even an active champ who has defended their title three times in a year? this is getting less funny-bad and just "gently caress you" bad.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Eat This Glob posted:

they're just gonna do an interim title every time a champ says they're not ready to fight on a specific card now, huh? even an active champ who has defended their title three times in a year? this is getting less funny-bad and just "gently caress you" bad.

I think it's going to come down to how often they have a situation like Ngannou where they want to put pressure on a champion they don't like or a situation like Gaethje where they would very much like a fighter to have a belt. Fortunately for us all, given that this is Aljamain Sterling and Sean O'Malley, this gets to be both, so they're not wasting any time.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

woke up today and my entire youtube subscription feed or nothing but power slap bullshit for 2 straight pages, wonderful :rolleyes:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Turn the tracking stuff lff. I did it ages ago and it's been the same home page with the same videos since

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

this is my sub box, and i'm subbed to UFC - which is prob gonna change if this happens again

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

beep by grandpa posted:

this is my sub box, and i'm subbed to UFC - which is prob gonna change if this happens again

why wait? do you you really think it's going to stop???

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I already issued it a warning, if it happens again I'm taking a point

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
ONE Fights starting shortly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVsWBVHGkwg

Also, tomorrow we have this fight to look forward to

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Why have I waited so long to finally tune into this. Really enjoying these matches, and the ref seems really good from then little I've seen. He likes to keep it clean, but also keep the action going. And how intently he's watching each fighters eyes.

coathat
May 21, 2007

ONE Friday Fights is the best combat sports program hands down

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I have spent my morning basking in the new Roidtech.

https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1661945170231713793

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
3 seconds in and he almost rolls his ankle.
Yea, clealrly this won't be anything be horrible and sad if it happens

mewse
May 2, 2006

i like when he lazily almost trips himself, thats some slick poo poo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

At least it's celebrity boxing and not power slap

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

give us gladiating dana u coward

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

MassRafTer posted:

Reminds me of this guy: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRE7oXUC/?t=1

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Why wouldn’t you delete that take and do another one. Maybe he didn’t have another take in him. This is gonna be sad.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

He's winded after like eight seconds of slow dancing and four seconds of shadow boxing, and he almost completely ate poo poo trying to dodge nothing thrown by nobody

Is the celebrity he's fighting the corpse of Larry King, because I don't like his odds otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

He's winded after like eight seconds of slow dancing and four seconds of shadow boxing, and he almost completely ate poo poo trying to dodge nothing thrown by nobody

Is the celebrity he's fighting the corpse of Larry King, because I don't like his odds otherwise

Very disrespectful to larry king to say he wouldn't win when we launched his frozen corpse at mark coleman