Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

cash crab posted:

if i had the energy to write an entire essay about this i would probably posit that "the time to act is now" was a feasible thing to tell people any time between the end of the second world war and the very beginning of the 1970s, and any time after the 1980s was going to be utterly hopeless. deepening social inequities brought on by anti-labour politics of the 1980s in the western world completely brain-poisoned entire generations of people into rejecting basically any message they hear in literal terms, particularly one suggests they might be ready to miss out on something. the western world is particularly averse to changes to their lifestyle and now some people react to any change with hostility, even if it doesn't in any way affect them. i know it's an incredibly tiny minority of people, but the fact that most people are cognizant of a trend of destroying 2-4s of bud light with baseball bats because it's tangentially sponsored by a trans woman is telling of how some of us react to change now.

even people who don't react to ripples of social change with the same frothing hostility as your average chud are completely resistant to having their lives change. COVID did not help. it made people less malleable and adaptable, not more. these social changes are inevitable and strictly tied to our material conditions, which are already changing rapidly and are going to get much worse, but the majority of people you interact with are going to say the same thing: "don't blame me," which is followed up by the suggestion, "and since it's not my fault, i shouldn't have to change." and by change, i don't mean "do something", i mean literally tolerate the changing material conditions that are coming for everyone.

what i'm saying here is that this is going to get so, so much funnier.

it would be funny if he was a goon but was strictly on FYAD or something

I've checked with the scientists, and they wanted me to let you know that things are actually basically okay. Heck, they're even getting better! None of this then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

cat botherer posted:

Just spitballing here, but is there a way to make planes run on coal? That could really help things out.

coal is too heavy but yes burn coal in a coal plant and use coal power to produce blue hydrogen juice then transport the blue hydrogen in tanker trucks to planes and fly ‘em on that. ez plz

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

bedpan posted:

I've checked with the scientists, and they wanted me to let you know that things are actually basically okay. Heck, they're even getting better! None of this then!

oh poo poo, did someone plant a tree?

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

cash crab posted:

Planted some flowers, actually. Hoping against hope they hold out against next week's heat wave.

Also it hasn't rained in weeks so I'm draining fresh water from wherever, who cares, these flowers cost $9.99

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

cash crab posted:

Even better!
The worlds biggest Carbon Sequestering Plant has been opened on Iceland!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

cash crab posted:

COVID did not help. it made people less malleable and adaptable, not more.

agreed to all of your post, but this in particular is what finally pushed me to fully embrace "radical acceptance"

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've been slowly catching up on Ricard

And been playing cards with old friends too! Weather 's been awesome!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

coal is too heavy but yes burn coal in a coal plant and use coal power to produce blue hydrogen juice then transport the blue hydrogen in tanker trucks to planes and fly ‘em on that. ez plz

You can also use nazi tech to turn coal into jet fuel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_liquefaction

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ruggan posted:

yea that too, although our likely struggle to productionize any solution is part of why science solving biosphere collapse is such a moonshot

overcoming the bureaucracy, making whatever technology scalable and economically feasible, and enduring resistance from the entrenched energy industry are all big hurdles, and that's assuming we even have a workable idea to try

I liked the plot point in For All Mankind season 3 when the space program is starting pay off in a big way and also led to fusion which ran on helium-3, which you can mine on the moon. Chuds got riled up because it's putting oil out of business in the 90s and I'm sure in no small part from conservative media working them up into a froth.

Like you see the backlash from merely suggesting phasing out of gas stoves? If you get fusion there's going to be tons of manufactured backlash.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Cold on a Cob posted:

agreed to all of your post, but this in particular is what finally pushed me to fully embrace "radical acceptance"

the priorities we were asked to maintain during the infancy of COVID, like keeping applebee's open, was telling. i'm not even being facetious here, we were asked point-blank to uphold capital above human life and applebee's probably wasn't even the most shallow of them. many of us povvos were asked to return to some pretty frivolous work entirely too quickly in the interests of the economy, because otherwise who is going to pay for all of this? this was an immediate, urgent and obvious global catastrophe and the powers what be showed their entire rear end in response. we could have experienced a philosophical nadir in our culture by asking what do we owe to each other, but instead we asked, how much do we owe to each other? the climate apocalypse will be identical. people are scared to have things taken away so they'll look away as oil barons and tech ceos rifle through their wallets while they survey what remains of their personal resources.

Hit Man posted:

Planted some flowers, actually. Hoping against hope they hold out against next week's heat wave.

Also it hasn't rained in weeks so I'm draining fresh water from wherever, who cares, these flowers cost $9.99

we have water?? hot diggety dog!

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

FlapYoJacks posted:

[biosphere collapse]: Sponsored by ExxonMobile

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

There are still real questions if fusion would ever be feasible from a grid engineering perspective and even if it is, serious questions if it will be more feasible than fission.

Discussion for grid scale fission reactors have been in the minimum of 100GW range, far too large for the grid to handle. You’d have to keep 100GWs on hot standby just in case the fusion reactor goes down, just like we do for fission, but at the much more manageable ~1GW scale.

We have no idea of long term O&M costs due to neutron embrittlement, no idea of capacity factor, no idea of site requirements, etc.

Remember, things like the National Ignition Facility aren’t actually designed to help develop a fusion reactor, it’s a nuclear weapons program they pretend is for civilian use.

Of course physicists will promise fusion will be “too cheap to meter” but they have no idea if that’s true because they’re nowhere near working designs. It is fission all over again, massive over promises then blaming everyone else for getting pissed that they’ve been lied to.

Fission does pretty much everything fusion claims to do, except it already exists and we already know how to do it.

(And the real reason we don’t build new fission plants isn’t NIMBYs or fear about radiation, but cost overruns, poor maintenance, and terrible capacity factors when you include said poor maintenance. All issues that fusion would face too.)

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

skooma512 posted:

I liked the plot point in For All Mankind season 3 when the space program is starting pay off in a big way and also led to fusion which ran on helium-3, which you can mine on the moon. Chuds got riled up because it's putting oil out of business in the 90s and I'm sure in no small part from conservative media working them up into a froth.

Like you see the backlash from merely suggesting phasing out of gas stoves? If you get fusion there's going to be tons of manufactured backlash.

The fusion reactor is actually a portal to hell that the demonrats want to build so they can enslave us all

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

There are still real questions if fusion would ever be feasible from a grid engineering perspective and even if it is, serious questions if it will be more feasible than fission.

Discussion for grid scale fission reactors have been in the minimum of 100GW range, far too large for the grid to handle. You’d have to keep 100GWs on hot standby just in case the fusion reactor goes down, just like we do for fission, but at the much more manageable ~1GW scale.

We have no idea of long term O&M costs due to neutron embrittlement, no idea of capacity factor, no idea of site requirements, etc.

Remember, things like the National Ignition Facility aren’t actually designed to help develop a fusion reactor, it’s a nuclear weapons program they pretend is for civilian use.

Of course physicists will promise fusion will be “too cheap to meter” but they have no idea if that’s true because they’re nowhere near working designs. It is fission all over again, massive over promises then blaming everyone else for getting pissed that they’ve been lied to.

Fission does pretty much everything fusion claims to do, except it already exists and we already know how to do it.

(And the real reason we don’t build new fission plants isn’t NIMBYs or fear about radiation, but cost overruns, poor maintenance, and terrible capacity factors when you include said poor maintenance. All issues that fusion would face too.)

It's pretty incredible that we've gotten worse at building nuclear reactors over the years. Just a complete hollowness out of our ability to do large scale infrastructure projects without 30 layers of subcontractors and grift.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Mitsubishi totally bombs at making coolant tubes but lmao at holding a private company accountable for anything. Sorry California, guess you can't have a new nuke plant because pipes are hard.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

cat botherer posted:

Just spitballing here, but is there a way to make planes run on coal? That could really help things out.

You could probably do it with zeppelins. Small coal fired steam plant for the propellers, fill the gas bag with hydrogen and go hard on the "Travel makes you a better person" ad campaign.

Am I being Malthusian again?

Trabisnikof posted:

You can also use nazi tech to turn coal into jet fuel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_liquefaction

"At least they got the planes to run on time."

Hit Man posted:

I planted some flowers too. They're supposed to native wildflowers but given my current record I won't be surprised if they're all alien invasive species and I'm continuing to gently caress up local biodiversity. A few years ago I planted winecap mushrooms under the blackberries and now they're keeping pace with the blackberries trying to expand their little alien invasive economy. I'm a bit worried they've formed some sort of unholy alliance: "You trap 'em, we'll digest 'em." :shroom:

Whoops, probably should have :nws: that image. It's probably banned in Florida.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Just a Moron posted:

Mitsubishi totally bombs at making coolant tubes but lmao at holding a private company accountable for anything. Sorry California, guess you can't have a new nuke plant because pipes are hard.
The specific nature of that failure is so ridiculous. They designed a new steam generator with more densely packed tubes to be more efficient, but somehow missed the fact that this changed the resonant frequency of the system?? The idea that no engineers bothered to do a modal analysis on the system is too absurd to entertain, particularly for a company with such a long history in this industry. That's like a structural engineer designing a building and not bothering to check even static loads. I don't buy that they just missed it somehow. Seems much more likely that Mitsubishi engineers identified the issue at some point but someone higher up the chain pushed back because they had a budget/schedule to keep to.

Capital has so corroded and infected everything that we can't do relatively straightforward industrial design anymore. The technical knowhow is there, but the snake eats it's own tail too fast to get a product out.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Xaris posted:

What about a hot air balloon? Can you run those on coal?

They always have sacks of useless weight hanging off the basket so replace those with coal and replace the little gas burner with a big gently caress-off furnace and you're sorted

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Also:

FlapYoJacks posted:

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bawfuls posted:

The specific nature of that failure is so ridiculous. They designed a new steam generator with more densely packed tubes to be more efficient, but somehow missed the fact that this changed the resonant frequency of the system?? The idea that no engineers bothered to do a modal analysis on the system is too absurd to entertain, particularly for a company with such a long history in this industry. That's like a structural engineer designing a building and not bothering to check even static loads. I don't buy that they just missed it somehow. Seems much more likely that Mitsubishi engineers identified the issue at some point but someone higher up the chain pushed back because they had a budget/schedule to keep to.

Capital has so corroded and infected everything that we can't do relatively straightforward industrial design anymore. The technical knowhow is there, but the snake eats it's own tail too fast to get a product out.

This is how we win!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

It’s going to be a slow burn and then one day all the methane in Siberia and Greenland will be released and we will jump from “climate change soon” to “oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo” as the earth jumps 4C in a single year lol.

There's a YouTube video that got posted in the last thread where a professor was lecturing in 2014 about ice core samples from Greenland and they showed loving massive temperature jumps happening in single years on more than one occasion

so yeah

gonna be fun when those happen

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

bawfuls posted:

We don't need to do some complicated analysis or redesign. Look nerd, the system works. We know it works, because we've made it before. No, no, stop talking, we know it works. These systems are everywhere. Just slot the smaller pipes in and we're done. No, it doesn't mean we're done under time and under budget. Just put it on ice. We'll roll out the update to our proven, time tested design whenever the design and project management committees finish their jobs.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

bawfuls posted:

It's just some pipes bro, how much could they really vibrate?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i keep wanting to replicate the indoor hydroponic/greenhouse set up my brother made but i think he's just Better At Plants than i am. my mother thought he was growing weed in the basement but it turns out he was growing cucumbers and tomatoes and the weed was actually in the backyard. i think he will do well during the water wars

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the planes reflect the sun back into space problem solved

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

^ on my phone it looks like earth has a cordyceps infection

Also

FlapYoJacks posted:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

actionjackson posted:

the planes reflect the sun back into space problem solved

I remember hearing long ago that the emissions from planes into the stratosphere actually reflects a lot of the light back. So having all the planes stop would result in short term immediate warming. We actually saw it happen during Covid because all the planes stopped.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Hit Man posted:

^ on my phone it looks like earth has a cordyceps infection

God I wish I had a Cordyceps infection, then I wouldn't have to deal with this poo poo for much longer.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Had anyone checked how the trees that Mr Beast and Mark Rober planted are going? Have they saved us yet?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1662043592720826369

say the line bart

quote:

In addition to taking steps to reduce climate change overall, there are more immediate measures that people suffering from allergies and their health-care providers can take to provide some relief.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ssthalar posted:

God I wish I had a Cordyceps infection, then I wouldn't have to deal with this poo poo for much longer.

In the lore of that game you remain semi conscious but unable to control your body in the initial stages... so you get to see yourself rip apart and cannibalize people and be unable to do anything about it other than maybe cry a little.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ah so just like living in a western developed nation right now

coke
Jul 12, 2009
good news guys

https://theclimatebrink.substack.com/p/emissions-are-no-longer-following

quote:

The world is no longer heading toward the worst-case outcome of 4C to 6C warming by 2100. Current policies put us on a best-estimate of around 2.6C warming.

but wait there's more

quote:

Climate system uncertainties mean that we could still end up with close to 4C warming if we get unlucky with climate sensitivity and carbon cycle feedbacks.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

lol

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

quote:

Current policies put us on a best-estimate of around 2.6C warming.

Wow, so glad that every system is changing immediately to be inline with best scientific policy.

:rubby:

Addendum: lol, lmao - now 2.6° warming is "not that bad guys!"

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
what i take from that is were getting over 6c for sure

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

if i stand near the blackberries they reach out and snag me, i don't know if it means i'm their leader now or if they're trying to entomb me

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

FlapYoJacks posted:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

the most optimistic take being 2.3c is pretty funny

with a few dozen more "faster than expected" headlines we are probably going to be at 2.3c in the 2030s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted: