Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Pretty sure that if they'd released it as a 20$ AA-tier price-point without egregious pre-order bonuses... Well, it would still suck, but you can excuse a lot more when you're not paying 70 dollars for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Not sure if it was suggested here or by someone else but I really want to shout out to:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2218750/Halls_of_Torment/

Apparently 'bullet heaven' is a genre - wherein you are the one shooting everything else, rather than dodging infinite hails of gunfire.
This one is like the intersection of Diablo and Vampire Survivors.
In any case, this game is excellent. Absolutely nails the retro aesthetic and looks wonderful in motion.
The progression and unlocks are done in a neat way, and there's enough in there to keep you digging for new playthings.
Every playable character is quite distinct, too, and the full range of abilities gets pretty ridiculous.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 26, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

KazigluBey posted:

Pretty sure that if they'd released it as a 20$ AA-tier price-point without egregious pre-order bonuses... Well, it would still suck, but you can excuse a lot more when you're not paying 70 dollars for it.
It also probably didn't help that a lot of people seem to have preordered it sight unseen with no knowledge of what type of game it was actually going to be because it has the LOTR name attached

That's not to say it looks like a good game, but I feel like the normal thing would have been for people to just see that it looks bad and not buy it rather than buy it and then get really mad about it on twitter when a lot of the issues aren't just glitches or graphics quality but it just fundamentally not being something they want to play

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 26, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

chglcu posted:

Yeah, if those are in, it’s a pass from me. Don’t think I’ve ever gone from loving to hating a game quite like that any other time.

I mean, if they are in and they aren't a core part of the game then I would just look up the walkthroughs like I did in the first one. There weren't all that many.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Are there actually a bunch of people who bought the gollum game and are mad? Most of what I've seen is pointing and laughing.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

mycot posted:

Are there actually a bunch of people who bought the gollum game and are mad? Most of what I've seen is pointing and laughing.

I imagine it sold pretty well just because it's a 3D LOTR game. At the very least it probably sold *much* better than the other 2d adventure games Daedalic usually puts out and they're probably getting a lot more yelling than they've ever experienced

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You are fooling yourselves. Lord of the Rings: Gollum is going to become the "Witcher3" or "Skyrim" for a lot of people.

Basic and easy to grasp gameplay, problem solving and "freedom", lots of things to find and collect and lots of details in everything.

It' ll sell a lot and it will appear in all the game journalists' game of the year lists.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It peaked at 750 players on Steam so idk that many people really bought it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

“Anything people criticize is actually quietly a massive success” is one of the weirder reflexive-comments

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it only has 113 steam reviews and only 34 of them are positive

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For your consolation Daedelic will release an "ain't I a little stinker" Gollum emote for only $5.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

it'll be GOTY (gollum of the year)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

my hand slipped and I bought eighty million copies

mystes
May 31, 2006

No Wave posted:

You are fooling yourselves. Lord of the Rings: Gollum is going to become the "Witcher3" or "Skyrim" for a lot of people.

Basic and easy to grasp gameplay, problem solving and "freedom", lots of things to find and collect and lots of details in everything.

It' ll sell a lot and it will appear in all the game journalists' game of the year lists.
It definitely should be possible for a game with the LOTR name to sell a bunch of copies to people who don't play that many games even if it's not up to the standards of other modern AAA games.... but it sounds like Gollum is pretty obnoxious and annoying to play?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The Deponia people? .... huh.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Like there seem to be three types of problems:
1) Bugs and minor annoyances that can be fixed in patches
2) The game isn't up to the standards of what people expect for $70
3) The game just isn't the type of game or story people were hoping for for a LOTR game

They can fix 1 and just hope that people who are attracted by the LOTR name and don't play many games won't care about 2, but it seems like those people might be turned off by 3 as well, so I'm not sure this will turn into a lovely wizard game situation where there's a disconnect between early reviews and normal people

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Tangentially related I was listening to Triple Click today and Jason Schrier (from Bloomberg) was asked about why so many AAA games have been a huge mess. And of course he said Covid - but not in the way you'd think.

Put simply, a lot of AAA developers and publishers pushed back against remote work. This led to lots of key in talent leaving mid-project... Resulting in all the messes we've been seeing.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

mystes posted:

They can fix 1 and just hope that people who are attracted by the LOTR name and don't play many games won't care about 2, but it seems like those people might be turned off by 3 as well, so I'm not sure this will turn into a lovely wizard game situation where there's a disconnect between early reviews and normal people

Yeah and hell, most of the longer takes I've seen say that the core gameplay is just really weak, and everything they added as padding sucks worse.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Tangentially related I was listening to Triple Click today and Jason Schrier (from Bloomberg) was asked about why so many AAA games have been a huge mess. And of course he said Covid - but not in the way you'd think.

Put simply, a lot of AAA developers and publishers pushed back against remote work. This led to lots of key in talent leaving mid-project... Resulting in all the messes we've been seeing.

Pushed back against their employees working remotely altogether, or just forcing them to come into the office to work?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

repiv posted:

it only has 113 steam reviews and only 34 of them are positive

Yeah, no joke this only has 113 reviews on Steam, that what's you expect out of a small indie release with near-zero marketing behind it.

I actually do not think a lot of people even bought or preordered it then, lol.

e.: My point is some peeps itt are saying many people preordered but I feel like actually this sold like poo poo and very few people fell for it over all, LotR brand or not.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I gotta give credit to the Gollum game for one thing: if you intentionally jump into a lava pit, the game recognizes the action with an achievement called 'Wait! Wait! Not Yet!'

As seen in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adS0nY9TK-w&t=315s (around 5:15 if it doesn't jump to it)

A bit sad to think about, I suppose: gives you a glimpse of the developers trying their best, putting little touches into the game, only for the end result to be...well, you know.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 26, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Don't worry, it's getting a patch soon that will fix it all

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there an up to date list of recommended mods for DaggerFall Unity? Especially anything quality of life.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

KazigluBey posted:

e.: My point is some peeps itt are saying many people preordered but I feel like actually this sold like poo poo and very few people fell for it over all, LotR brand or not.

Yeah comparing Gollum to like, Jedi Survivor or Hogwarts Legacy doesn't work at all. Diehard LOTR fans are not lining up to buy a Gollum video game. It would be like counting on Star Wars fans to buy a Triclops video game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, Jedi Survivor is at least a really good game, its just its technical performance issues that hold it back. The rest of the game is solid and a game of the year contender. Gollum on the other hand has no redeeming features. You can fix the bugs/glitches, and performance problems, but at its core is still a pretty bad game, and you can't fix that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gollum kind of sucks, you want to beat him to death with a hammer not immersive simulate his croaking sidling.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Sounds reasonable to me, at least as a contributing factor. A big part of why I left my previous job was because they wouldn’t commit to permanent remote work, and a bunch of people left before me, many going somewhere offering permanent WFH.

Guess we’ll see how “permanent” the remote work actually ends up being at the places currently offering it, though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

zoux posted:

Gollum kind of sucks, you want to beat him to death with a hammer not immersive simulate his croaking sidling.
Andy Serkis' irritating 2002-era interview tour where he kept saying he deserved an oscar kind of poisoned me on gollum forever.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gollum will do to gaming what Morbius did to cinema

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Wave posted:

Andy Serkis' irritating 2002-era interview tour where he kept saying he deserved an oscar kind of poisoned me on gollum forever.

It's a great performance but I find the voice really gross and irritating (which is the point of course! but it's still off putting)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Disposable Scud posted:

New Nightmare let you choose to play her. Her run was more puzzle oriented than Edwards, who really is a gormless gently caress.

Well I'll be. I never knew this because literally nobody talks about New Nightmare, but I guess it tracks with the snake eating its own tail and the game being, at least as far as I know, a very obvious RE knockoff.

mystes
May 31, 2006

kazil posted:

Gollum will do to gaming what Morbius did to cinema
Become an annoying meme that everyone will beat to death for six months?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's golling time

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Now the real question, does anyone here know anything about Alone in the Dark Illumination. Even just that it exists. Pretty sure that one was an especially terrible co-op L4D thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just got an email saying that June's Humble Choice will be headlined by Ghostwire Tokyo, if that's of relevance to anyone who doesn't already have Game Pass or whatever.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

I said come in! posted:

Is there an up to date list of recommended mods for DaggerFall Unity? Especially anything quality of life.

The Daggerfall Unity GOG Cut is good. It's a single install package & comes with a lot of the more popular mods, including a couple QOL mods like Convenient Quest Log and World Tooltips.

Searching around a lot of people seem to like hotkey bar also.

I'm not a fan of some of the GFX overhauls, but those are easy to turn on or off.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Anno posted:

Thanks. From a playstyle perspective are there any “late game” factions? I know it’s sort of the opposite of how 4X games usually work but I enjoy factions that start weak and end up more powerful towards the end of the game, esp if there are lots of strong support units.

For the singleplayer campaign I wouldn't say that there are any that are really like this, I guess Tyranids could count but you can spam the gently caress out of their weak units so it becomes a wash. Imperial Guard is a bit rough at the start but once you start getting vehicles they turn it around a lot.

I'd say that the one race that is the opposite of what you want is the Space Marines, who start out strong and then fade off over time due to economic limits.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I literally hadn't heard of the Gollum game until it came out so I don't know if there was much marketing behind it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Runa posted:

I literally hadn't heard of the Gollum game until it came out so I don't know if there was much marketing behind it

I saw a trailer about a year ago and my question was the same as it is now: Who asked for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Kins posted:

Just got an email saying that June's Humble Choice will be headlined by Ghostwire Tokyo, if that's of relevance to anyone who doesn't already have Game Pass or whatever.

gently caress yeah, I knew it would end up being a headliner. I kept being tempted by Fanatical having it for like 18 bucks but I knew, goddamn it. Finally, some money saved. (Now watch the rest of the monthly be poo poo I own/just bought this year.)

John Murdoch posted:

Now the real question, does anyone here know anything about Alone in the Dark Illumination. Even just that it exists. Pretty sure that one was an especially terrible co-op L4D thing.

Wikipedia shed some hahahahah light on this, I think these quotes sum it up:

quote:

Hooked Gamers rated it a 1.5 out of 10, stating "Alone in the Dark is dead, and now fans share the task of burying it away and trying to retain the good memories. Alone In The Dark: Illumination comes across as trying to be a Left 4 Dead 2 and Resident Evil 6 hybrid while doing absolutely nothing right, and favoring to do everything wrong."

quote:

It is also the last title in the series to be published by Atari as the IP has since been acquired by THQ Nordic.

Also it features a descendant of Emily Hartwood and a "descendant" of Carnby who's implied to just be the same goddamn immortal Carnby still, just finally living under a new name.