Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I really hope they change it so you can keep retrying on the legendary where it just overwrites the previous effect. The design is pretty awful with how rare a good LP item is and then immediately ruining it due to pure RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
That'll never happen. A perfect legendary is the most powerful item in the game, and chasing that kind of gear is what keeps people invested in ARPGs. Gearing in this game is already a little too easy and simple; simplifying legendaries wouldn't do anyone any favors.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
A guy on the forums talked about how he had a 2 LP Aberrant Call after 100+ hours of play. There's about a 50/50 that it becomes a dud after making it legendary.

I think you're speaking for yourself when you say it's not doing anyone any favors. You can always throw away your legendary if it turned out bad if you want to make it harder. I for one really don't have the time or patience for that kind of grind. The devs literally said some items are expected to take thousands of hours to find. Having to then win a 50/50 after that seems silly to me.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
They still won't let you retry legendaries over and over, that'd be far too easy lol

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You guys have weird definitions of easy if 1000 hours of playtime is too easy.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I think instead of letting you retry on legendaries they just need to increase the LP rate. Fewer 1 LP items, more 3s and 4s, and you get your retries plus you get to stay excited about unique drops.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I've got about 6 tabs of uniques with 1-2 LP after 182 hours but only several with 3 LP and only one 4 LP (a low level shield that is not particularly good in any build). It would be nice if they switched the odds up a bit to something like 40% 30% 20% 10% for 1-4 LP but even 1 LP items are good enough to clear everything in the game. My fire wraith necro uses a 1 LP Aberrant Call and having another affix or two on it would be nice but probably not super noticeable by itself.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, I wouldn't mind a much higher drop rate either. I have 150 hours played since .9 and no Herald of the Scurry. Though I haven't been dedicated farming hats the whole time. I think Diablo 3 had the perfect speed of progression for me. Where getting a baseline version is not too hard but there is still a fair amount of effort into getting that perfect roll.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I'd be happy if more uniques dropped with legendary potential. The only point I was making was that being able to reroll the same legendary as many times as you wanted is not the answer; it would be way too powerful.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I don't personally see a difference between a bunch more LP items or easy rerolls. End result is the same to me. Would be equally happy with either change.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

bamhand posted:

I don't personally see a difference between a bunch more LP items or easy rerolls. End result is the same to me. Would be equally happy with either change.

Extra LP on the items you get (not more LP items overall) gives you somewhat better item results long-term without focusing farming purely on nothing but getting more Sanctum keys/running Sanctum.

It’s also far more adjustable - shift the %s one way or another a little bit if you need to address power creep. Rerolling LP items is more binary - you can or you can’t. (They could introduce rerolling potential I guess but that seems like it’d be more confusing.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No reasonable boost to LP rates is going to make "various LP versions of an item you're interested in" drop as frequently as Temporal Sanctum keys do, is the main difference I think. Free/easier legendary rerolls is a far faster path to good legendaries than "just make LP more common".

Anyway, I think there's a bit of a disconnect because this game seems to be targeting the very wide space between D3's progression speed and, say, PoE's progression speed - so there'll be a fair number of people playing it who, yes, genuinely do think that would be too easy.

(it's me, I'm people)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

bamhand posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a much higher drop rate either. I have 150 hours played since .9 and no Herald of the Scurry. Though I haven't been dedicated farming hats the whole time. I think Diablo 3 had the perfect speed of progression for me. Where getting a baseline version is not too hard but there is still a fair amount of effort into getting that perfect roll.

Herald of the Scurry is the only unique I haven’t found either other than a couple rare boss drops that I haven’t wanted to farm. And even without LP it would be a fun item to try out.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Isn’t LP on uniques basically balanced around the power of the unique itself? So rarer, more high-tier uniques are quite unlikely to have any LP at all, but also don’t need it to be good, while more common, lower impact uniques frequently have LP. I think the devs said something like if all the players currently playing plaid until the heat death of the universe, they still probably wouldn’t roll a 4 lp drop of the some specific uniques. I think the idea is getting those uniques with any extra affixes is good enough.

Also, the item factions are coming eventually, and should help with the gear grind. Since I personally strongly prefer the d3 style of loot, where whole play styles aren’t locked behind 100s of hours of repetitive grinding, I hope the self found faction has a big impact.

The devs have strongly hinted that 1.0 is either the next patch or the one after that, and I believe one mentioned in discord that it’s at most 7 months away, so hopefully we won’t have to wait too terribly long to find out.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Big thank-you to everyone who answered my question!

gnoma posted:

Well you won't be able to combine the exalted axe with Volcanus because Volcanus is a sword. But when you make a legendary item it just adds in the new affixes as extra lines on the item. It doesn't interact with existing affixes at all.

Good news, I found a sword with 300%. :v:

Suprfli6 posted:

Your unique also needs to have Legendary Potential to combine it with an exalted item. The number of LP is how many affixes from the exalted will be added to the unique. But there’s no restrictions on the affixes being added (ie you can stack two affixes of the same kind this way if the unique has one and the exalted one gets chosen when you combine them).

I knew about Legendary Potential, but I'm happy to hear that Exalted affixes are just stapled on regardless of what they are.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah so expanding on what above poster said, Legendary items work like this:

Put a Unique with legendary potential and an exalted item with 4 unsealed affixes of the same type (i.e. body armor -> body armor, axe -> axe. Look at the grey text under the name of the item) in the masher at the end of Temporal Sanctum. The maximum level of the Unique you can put in is based on the difficulty of the sanctum.

The Exalted item will be destroyed, and X of its unsealed affixes will appear as new affixes on the now Legendary item, where X was the legendary potential of the Unique. So if you have an LP1 Unique, you'll get (randomly) one of the affixes on the Exalted item, the other 3 are gone forever.

Yeah, I read as much from the various guides around the internet, I just wasn't sure how "two affixes of the same type" would shake out.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Last time I played I was able to have warpath skill bound to my right mouse button, then just click it once and it kept spinning. Now I have to hold the button constantly for it to spin. Is this a bug or did they somehow change how the skill works? I don't think I can keep playing with holding both mouse buttons constantly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Does it work if you hold only right-click?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Warpath being a toggle was a bug and it got changed back to a channel with the 9.1 patch.

On the discord one of the dev replied with this when asked about keeping around the toggle as an accessibility option:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, that is somewhat disappointing. It was a lot better as a toggle, I don't think I can play anymore with it being an option to constantly press down two buttons (already using LMB for moving)

Although I did get pretty burnt during my road to the endgame anyway, it just seemed like it would take way too long to even have a chance for good gear from the monoliths. I might try again with a new character when they someday reach 1.0 though.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

TeaJay posted:

Oh, that is somewhat disappointing. It was a lot better as a toggle, I don't think I can play anymore with it being an option to constantly press down two buttons (already using LMB for moving)

Although I did get pretty burnt during my road to the endgame anyway, it just seemed like it would take way too long to even have a chance for good gear from the monoliths. I might try again with a new character when they someday reach 1.0 though.

Why don't you just not bind warpath to right click and hold down q or something?

Fake edit: Or make an AHK script that toggles holding a button for you.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I have no trouble using Warpath on Right Click to move around. The vast majority of my time spent playing has been holding down Right Click and pressing nothing else.

Touching on the previous discussion of the game being too easy, I've spent about 30 hours recently on my first real attempt at playing the game and made a pathetically underpowered Paladin built around Warpath and auto-casting Smite. I did not encounter genuine resistance until I attempted the enhanced version of Monolith of Fate, at which point the level difference of 82 vs 100 began making itself known. Even then, the difference was just taking an extra second or two to cut through mobs (though it did make me realize that I should definitely start over and play as a Void Knight instead).

Overall, my experience with the difficulty has been extremely binary - either I'm cruising through the game with a literal one-button build or I explode from being hit exactly once by a boss. However, at the same time, a large part of the ease comes from being extremely familiar with games like these, knowing how to build and exploit beneficial systems, and also knowing exactly what kind of character I want to play. I could definitely see somebody who's less familiar with this kind of gameplay or spends a lot of time experimenting with builds and characters having significantly more difficulty.

Basically, Last Epoch is as hard as you make it. The only real problem I have with it is how clunky respeccing is, and how often shuffling or removing "+ Skill Level" gear screws with your upgrade path.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Biggest complaint regarding respeccing for me is the Blessings. Wouldn't mind if they made the high rolls slightly harder to get but you free swap between any that you've unlocked.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a good reason for why the Disable Chat option doesn't disable chat?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

bamhand posted:

Biggest complaint regarding respeccing for me is the Blessings. Wouldn't mind if they made the high rolls slightly harder to get but you free swap between any that you've unlocked.

Yeah, this sucks bad. I was very lucky and managed to get most of the ones that I wanted the first time around, but now that I've restarted I'm not looking forward to having to grind them up again.

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a good reason for why the Disable Chat option doesn't disable chat?

It disables your ability to post in chat! Isn't that what you wanted? :downs:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm testing out Void Knight and I keep being impressed at how many different interesting options all the classes have. It was my favorite part of D3 and this is the only other Diablo-like that I've seen that has anything like it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What are those?

I've never seed red items before.

EDIT: And why does the number go down?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 29, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jack Trades posted:

What are those?

I've never seed red items before.

EDIT: And why does the number go down?

It's a new thing from the most recent patch: basically a new twist on Legendary Potential. Instead of running Temporal Sanctum to merge X out of 4 affixes from an exalted item onto a unique to make a red Legendary, items with X Weaver's Will will gain X tiers of up to 4 random affixes as you kill monsters while wearing them - so X goes down because it represents how many tiers can still get added onto the item.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
weaver's are a brand new legendary item type that just got added this patch, this is more or less a trail run for the concept; think of it like working skill levels, as you gain experience the weaver value counts down, and every time it does it adds a new affix or improves an existing one on the item. I have no idea what the values are like or if you get the same amounts of bonuses on every weaver every time you level it, all I know is the one set of boots that dropped for me leveled itself very quickly and sometimes took two off the counter when upgrading instead of one

really cool idea though, it's rad to have quick access to a t6+ affix value just from wearing a unique and not having to hunt for epics and LP grade uniques

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does this

override this?

Because it would make no sense otherwise.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yes.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I've come up with an extremely stupid but also extremely powerful build for a Paladin that uses a Scepter and a Catalyst.

The downside is that it'll take a very long time to properly put together because so much of it relies on rare Unique drops and other nonsense.

The upside is that the math is showing me clocking in at over 150% Fire Penetration.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bit bummed to see they slid in an in game premium currency and cosmetic shop to this since the last time I played. I guess people (including myself) were cool enough with it existing in a $70 game like Diablo so I shouldn't be upset about it here but I never like seeing these things get added to an early access game before it is actually finished.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

Bit bummed to see they slid in an in game premium currency and cosmetic shop to this since the last time I played. I guess people (including myself) were cool enough with it existing in a $70 game like Diablo so I shouldn't be upset about it here but I never like seeing these things get added to an early access game before it is actually finished.

Why does poo poo like this bother people so much? Like who cares. If you don't like purchasing cosmetics, don't.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I would care more if it hadn't been in Early Access for 4 years at this point. It's not like it just came out and they're immediately asking for more money.

Stanley Pain posted:

If you don't like purchasing cosmetics, don't.

But yea honestly this :shrug:
Studios got developers to pay; put a few bucks in the tip jar, or don't.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

explosivo posted:

That's fair. They've been very up front that there would be a cash shop implemented and that it would specifically be limited to cosmetics, so I don't mind it so much. I'd also imagine it's a very different and hopefully simpler development challenge to implement than the sort of work that goes into developing, testing, and iterating gameplay features, so I don't think they're like hobbling progress on game development by getting the shop set up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Stanley Pain posted:

Why does poo poo like this bother people so much? Like who cares. If you don't like purchasing cosmetics, don't.

Yeah, I mean, I won't, and to be clear I understand devs need to be paid and I'm not flipping the gently caress out about it or preparing my torches like the steam reviews appear to be doing, it just makes me wonder if they're keeping the real good looking gear behind a $20 DLC pack or whatever. The paid cosmetic stuff in Diablo honestly kind of sucks compared to what you can get in game but I never felt like the gear in LE looked especially good or memorable while the armor sets in Diablo definitely are. I'm still extremely jonesing to get back into this once it fully releases because there's so much to this game that puts Diablo 4 to shame.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stanley Pain posted:

I use to care about this but have been re-evaluating it, and honestly cosmetics and cash shops are here to stay. It sucks, but it is a massive money maker for game studios and more people than not are spending money on cash shops and that is never going to change. I guess i'm just tired of being old man yelling at clouds now. So I just ignore the cash shops and accept it as it is what it is and the times have changed. The vast majority of gamers have spoken and they are okay with it.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Cosmetic shops are like a debuff that doesn't do anything on its own. If the game is good then a cosmetic shop can just be safely ignored, but if the game is bad the cash shop just makes it seem even worse.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

Yeah, I mean, I won't, and to be clear I understand devs need to be paid and I'm not flipping the gently caress out about it or preparing my torches like the steam reviews appear to be doing, it just makes me wonder if they're keeping the real good looking gear behind a $20 DLC pack or whatever. The paid cosmetic stuff in Diablo honestly kind of sucks compared to what you can get in game but I never felt like the gear in LE looked especially good or memorable while the armor sets in Diablo definitely are. I'm still extremely jonesing to get back into this once it fully releases because there's so much to this game that puts Diablo 4 to shame.

It's the same sentiment though. Like the cosmetics don't affect the gameplay one bit so I just don't understand why it's even something that pops into people's heads. Lots of people are losing their poo poo over this, and basically ever other game that has cosmetics for sale.

The diablo paid cosmetics are comically terrible for the price they're asking for making it even easier to ignore. It's strange. At least in Darktide some of the cosmetics were really well done (and some are absolutely terrible as well).

I said come in! posted:

I use to care about this but have been re-evaluating it, and honestly cosmetics and cash shops are here to stay. It sucks, but it is a massive money maker for game studios and more people than not are spending money on cash shops and that is never going to change. I guess i'm just tired of being old man yelling at clouds now. So I just ignore the cash shops and accept it as it is what it is and the times have changed. The vast majority of gamers have spoken and they are okay with it.

What sucks about cosmetic cash shops though? Are you that driven to have everything in a game or something? Like a completionism thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tbh don't understand the point of a cosmetics shop in a loot game. I want to see the loot.