Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Also I'm totally jelly of your trip :D have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Also remember checking voicemail triggers the travel feature since it is a regular voice call. You can check voicemail remotely on most systems by calling your number from another phone, hitting * when you hear your own greeting, and entering your voicemail pin when prompted.

Also declining a call can trigger it as well. So let the call ring through to vmail if it comes in.

Chair In A Basket fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 29, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Koodo and Virgin have $39/mo for 20GB on special for a couple more days which ain't bad for BYOD

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Fido and Freedom as well.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
Iphone 12 pro on telus with physical SIM. Going to UK for 3 weeks, mostly would like data. Best option to pick up a pay as you go SIM and swap it out once I'm there? Or is everything e-sim now?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
O2 or EE have physical prepaid SIMs you can get with various amounts of data for not a whole lot of cash, like £30 for 100GB/month. Can usually pick them up at a store location, as the vending machines at the airports are more expensive.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m travelling with an Ubigi eSIM on my 14. I think they have Europe/uk options and I can’t recommend them enough based on my current experience in Japan.

The app and site looks sketchy as gently caress but I’ll vouch for it.

I think the 12 is eSIM capable so that’s definitely what I’d recommend. You don’t even have to wait until you land. Set up the eSIM in advance then buy a data plan for it the day of your flight. Ready to go when you land.

E: sorry I missed you were looking for a physical sim. Although (and I mean this in the least snarky way possible) I’m wondering why you wouldn’t just go with an eSIM given the convenience and ease of reload. You don’t even need to eject your regular sim, just switch it off in cellular settings.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 15, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah I tried to google about eSIMs for the UK and mostly got incredibly spammy blogs and half were for UK people going to Europe.

My plan for my next trip is just doing what I did last time and hitting a high street store on the way to my hotel in London.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But yeah, just checked now that I’m back at the hotel. iPhone 12 is a dual SIM phone so you can easily install an eSIM to go with your regular nano card. I have the same setup on my 14. Bell SIM is physical because I was too lazy to go back to have them port it to an e, but then my travel plan is an eSIM. Have one on my iPad Pro too.

Ubigi seems to have a 50GB/$40 (USD)/30 days package, looks like it’s probably not as cheap as the cards Chris is talking about so that may be a reason to get an O2 thing for sure. Anyway, you have some options :). Not going to shill my referral code but if anyone is interested it does appear to give 20% off order so DM me if you do go that route.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 15, 2023

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I live in Vancouver, but am in Germany right now and it was literally a 3 minute process to buy an eSIM from these guys.

https://www.redteamobile.com

Looks like it works all over the world.

I pay the terrible $16 to Telus for “roam like home” but they tunnel all your traffic back to Canada, specifically Ontario where I couldn’t play poker stars, so I wanted something that had an ip from Germany so I could play poker.

https://www.redteago.com

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Are we at the point where it's cheaper to geta European phone plan and "permanently roam" in Canada yet

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mister Facetious posted:

Are we at the point where it's cheaper to geta European phone plan and "permanently roam" in Canada yet
I know there was some US plan that people got on a few years ago because it was cheaper to roam up here with data than anything the Canadian carriers had.

Anyway I applied for the Koodo deal on the weekend, but just got an email from our Telus EPP rep, so maybe he has some juicy plans available lol

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
Thanks everyone for the reccomendations!

Chris Knight posted:

O2 or EE have physical prepaid SIMs you can get with various amounts of data for not a whole lot of cash, like £30 for 100GB/month. Can usually pick them up at a store location, as the vending machines at the airports are more expensive.

Thanks this is what I was looking for!

some kinda jackal posted:

But yeah, just checked now that I’m back at the hotel. iPhone 12 is a dual SIM phone so you can easily install an eSIM to go with your regular nano card. I have the same setup on my 14. Bell SIM is physical because I was too lazy to go back to have them port it to an e, but then my travel plan is an eSIM. Have one on my iPad Pro too.

Ubigi seems to have a 50GB/$40 (USD)/30 days package, looks like it’s probably not as cheap as the cards Chris is talking about so that may be a reason to get an O2 thing for sure. Anyway, you have some options :). Not going to shill my referral code but if anyone is interested it does appear to give 20% off order so DM me if you do go that route.

Perhaps an eSIM would be easier... I have just heard complaints about how complex eSIM is vs physical SIM, but I guess if I could have both without a huge headache that sounds good as well. I'll have to look into how to use the eSIM.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Airalo has been decent for me and is easy to set up.

https://www.airalo.com/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Airalo has been decent for me and is easy to set up.

https://www.airalo.com/

Data only right?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Anyway I ended up calling our EPP guy to confirm some details and it looks like I'm going back into the arms of Telus proper with a ton of data at 5G speeds :D.

Was talking to a coworker this morning who is on the higher Canada/US plan and she said she had VVM included even though it didn't specify on the site.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Think I hosed up this whole account and transfer process. Help how did I get here I am not good with phone

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just data, yep.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Just data, yep.
Right on. I always get the cell + data SIM as it's convenient to have a local number.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Public Mobile got 5G before other flanker brands :aaa: and their current promo is 20 for 39. Crazy times friends

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha wild, rebranded as well. Dropped the 3G speed plans altogether. And the $39 is the cheapest plan available.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 25, 2023

mewse
May 2, 2006

Koodo advertising 20 gigs for $39 but of course it's new customers only (thought we were past this)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Haha wild, rebranded as well. Dropped the 3G speed plans altogether. And the $39 is the cheapest plan available.

quote:

Earn $1.95/month in points value with our Public Points

If I switch to this, will i lose my superior loyalty discount?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Risky Bisquick posted:

Public Mobile got 5G before other flanker brands :aaa: and their current promo is 20 for 39. Crazy times friends

This is because MVNO is coming in hot and heavy. Actual, true, MVNO. You're going to be able to buy cellular from 50 different companies soon, prices will drop like a stone.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I wonder which gas station chain I will sign up for phone service with this time around.

Hopefully not Husky.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nitr0 posted:

This is because MVNO is coming in hot and heavy. Actual, true, MVNO. You're going to be able to buy cellular from 50 different companies soon, prices will drop like a stone.

As soon as Lucy lets Charlie Brown kick that football.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

shadow puppet of a posted:

I wonder which gas station chain I will sign up for phone service with this time around.

Hopefully not Husky.
Beaver. :canada:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm not buying phone service from a bunch of six year olds in funny hats :colbert:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Upgrades only cost ya a nickel!

scorp31
Nov 27, 2007
https://www.thestar.com/business/2023/05/25/freedom-mobile-unveils-first-nationwide-plan-following-rogers-shaw-deal.html

Freedom launched a $50 40 gig plan today that includes Nationwide and US data in the same bucket, the first time they've done that. Prior to now data outside of Freedom Zones had much lower limits (usually 1 to 3 gigs) but now this is all lumped in together and you're getting 40 gigs a month in the entirety of both countries.

They do have a fair usage policy where they may cut off your service if more than 25% of your monthly usage is outside of a Freedom Zone during consecutive months.

I was hanging on to an old plan of theirs that had 1 gig of US Roaming since I travel there fairly regularly but switched to this as soon as I saw it. Really can't beat the price if you live in an area they cover.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Nitr0 posted:

I tried to find out more from the CRTC and it's not giving much hope for actual MVNOs just more of the status quo. Do you have any links about this?

fake edit:

Chris Knight posted:

Yeah I was wondering about the deets, cuz if it ends up like TPIA then lol

:chloe:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 25, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah I was wondering about the deets, cuz if it ends up like TPIA then lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Inshallah

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I'm on the 40 dollar 15GB 4G plan with PubMo and my phone started reporting 5G speed. I checked the site and my plan definitely still says 4G. Is that likely to be my phone reporting the wrong speed, pubmo sending the wrong speed to my phone, or pubmo serving up 5G to a 4G plan because it's easier than segregating it?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

That reminds me, I should check out their current plans. I'm on a "3G" plan with them and it's been loving terrible lately. I don't know if that's just a lovely network "downtown" where I work though.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Tagra posted:

I'm on the 40 dollar 15GB 4G plan with PubMo and my phone started reporting 5G speed. I checked the site and my plan definitely still says 4G. Is that likely to be my phone reporting the wrong speed, pubmo sending the wrong speed to my phone, or pubmo serving up 5G to a 4G plan because it's easier than segregating it?

They are serving 5G, and throttling to whatever you plan was 4G (100) or 3G (3). You can switch plans to the $39 20gb plan for the low cost of saving one dollar.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Tagra posted:

Probably the latter. Far easier to just connect to the newer network and throttle the end user.

Same how all their "3G speed" plans were just throttled LTE

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Risky Bisquick posted:

I tried to find out more from the CRTC and it's not giving much hope for actual MVNOs just more of the status quo. Do you have any links about this?

fake edit:

:chloe:

It's a bit dry, but you'd have to read through the telecom decision.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2022/2022-288.htm

The gist of it is, any operator who owns spectrum in a Tier 4 license area is eligible to become an MVNO. The CRTC is forcing the incumbents to build the framework to make this happen. You're seeing it now with Videotron. You'd have to go through the spectrum database to find all the companies who own spectrum, but there's a lot of them around Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Risky Bisquick posted:

You can switch plans to the $39 20gb plan for the low cost of saving one dollar.

I didn't have that option on the site. I think it's not an option for existing users ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I could switch to a 30GB 5G plan for 50 bucks a month but I don't use the 15GB I already have...