Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

cumpantry posted:

whats up with redditors referring to russian soldiers as "orks"? i keep seeing it in linked ukraine articles, usually paired with bloodthirst

At the start of the invasion there were lots of stories going around about Russians looting, raping, and pillaging. I think it came from that. I believe mods of various subreddits tried to stop this because it became more of a racial thing paired with the aforementioned bloodlust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

cumpantry posted:

whats up with redditors referring to russian soldiers as "orks"? i keep seeing it in linked ukraine articles, usually paired with bloodthirst

As I understand it, it comes from a notorious(?) fanfic of LOTR from Russia that was written from the POV of the orcs, which was more sympathetic to their plight and was written to be a close 1:1 comparison to Russian/Slavic people in the world.

With the current Russian invasion, people have been very upset and have thus adopted it as a general slur towards all Russian peoples?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

People dehumanizing the enemy is a tale as old as time

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Samovar posted:

As I understand it, it comes from a notorious(?) fanfic of LOTR from Russia that was written from the POV of the orcs, which was more sympathetic to their plight and was written to be a close 1:1 comparison to Russian/Slavic people in the world.

With the current Russian invasion, people have been very upset and have thus adopted it as a general slur towards all Russian peoples?

This is what I remember also. Russians had referred to themselves as orcs in the past. They don't anymore, but Ukrainians now call them orcs with slightly different connotations.

The origin has very little to do with the current usage, but that is probably why that term was chosen and not some other.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

cumpantry posted:

thats not just a reddit thing, goons were doing it too until the gbs thread made a rule against it
there was one guy in the cspam ukraine war thread who posted a bunch of ai-generated 'sexy' orc romance novel covers

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

thats not just a reddit thing, goons were doing it too until the gbs thread made a rule against it
there was one guy in the cspam ukraine war thread who posted a bunch of ai-generated 'sexy' orc romance novel covers

Pretty sure it only happened twice in hundreds of posts, but it was certainly on the list of grievances being used to try to shut the thread down.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think it just started because lord of the rings is really popular in both countries and Russia in eastern europe is more or less where Mordor is in the books, Im not sure there's more history to it than that. Ukrainian twitter/telegram accounts used the o word a lot a year ago but I think now its mostly a reddit thing

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

cumpantry posted:

i think you should ask this question in the ukraine thread. it will go well and you will receive a lot of helpful replies

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Are they orks with a K or orcs with a C? This is very important.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's generic militant otherism/dehumanization/racism, this derail is like if you tried to understand the nuance and subtleties of calling people "sandn*****" in the early 2000s

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

Are they orks with a K or orcs with a C? This is very important.

Worse. They are Crocs.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Ukraine is overrun with koroks

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I can't wait to bomb some dodongos!
\

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sentient Data posted:

It's generic militant otherism/dehumanization/racism, this derail is like if you tried to understand the nuance and subtleties of calling people "sandn*****" in the early 2000s

indeed. russians are precisely just like iraqis in early 2000s

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

goblin week posted:

indeed. russians are precisely just like iraqis in early 2000s

We can learn much from the destruction of the tusken raiders, that can be applied to the current orkish war

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
In case it needs clarification: I am not, in fact, handing it to the Russians

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
And now for something different: Remember taking over channels on Quakenet 20 years ago?

r/tee used to be about shirts.
Now the Germans have taken it over. It's about tea.

Viel besser so, finde ich.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
You know what really hypes me up for posting content? Having to write a 3 paragraph essay on why a picture of a truck belongs on r/picturesoftrucks

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Ceci n'est pas un camion.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

X JAKK posted:

You know what really hypes me up for posting content? Having to write a 3 paragraph essay on why a picture of a truck belongs on r/picturesoftrucks

Reddit mods really do speedrun "make it so only the worst posters can post" don't they?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
a better lesson would be "don't talk to whitey"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Decon posted:

Reddit mods really do speedrun "make it so only the worst posters can post" don't they?

This is just a hunch I don't know if it's backed up by data or whatever but it feels like the purpose of reddit subs isn't "a collection of similar content" anymore, they're all trying to create the next breakout "community" of incomprehensible inside-joke memes because it's been abundantly clear to everyone ever since the_donald (and even earlier to anyone who paid even a little attention to 4chan) that those communities are very powerful at building dedicated follower bases for even the most absurd ideologies. And part of that is making it so abrasive to post that only people who are truly dedicated desperate for a community's approval bother posting there, and it creates a class of excluded outsiders (people not willing to play along with the rules)

It's probably not as malicious as that makes it sound and it's probably more like powertripping mods who want to be master of their own community but they make ideal recruitment pools for weird extremists either way: full of people who will believe anything and jump through any hoops just to "belong" to a group of totally anonymous people.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 26, 2023

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I feel like r/socialskills should have it's own GBS mock thread, but then again...

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
That actually would rule because like every reddit-related thread is already just pages and pages of goons telling on themselves, might as well make it explicit.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Charles Leclerc posted:

I feel like r/socialskills should have it's own GBS mock thread, but then again...

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lmao do yourself a favor and do not look through this poster's post history it is the worst. But it also illustrates what I mentioned in my last post: Their entire account is a very-failed attempt to sell "how to get laid" self-help books and build a community around their "self help" brand, including creating a couple subs that no one ever signed up for.

None of their books seem to actually exist and their personal website is no longer available

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Posted in r/AITG

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Gomez Chamberlain posted:

That actually would rule because like every reddit-related thread is already just pages and pages of goons telling on themselves, might as well make it explicit.

I had to permanently check out of the r/relationships thread because the percentage of posters projecting their therapy grade bullshit was overwhelming. I seem to recall an episode a few years back where some very obvious troll was making r/relationships posts and then sharing them in the thread to single out a GBS superstar.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Reddit: Are you sure you weren't searching stacked overflow

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Charles Leclerc posted:

I had to permanently check out of the r/relationships thread because the percentage of posters projecting their therapy grade bullshit was overwhelming. I seem to recall an episode a few years back where some very obvious troll was making r/relationships posts and then sharing them in the thread to single out a GBS superstar.

95% were fake anyway

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Charles Leclerc posted:

That thread is an absolute embarrassment.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Recent milk and steak derails, unrelated in the slightest. I read all threads on SA as if they are the schad thread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Charles Leclerc posted:

Same and that goons have issues with how normal social interactions should go.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

LanceHunter posted:

That thread is an absolute embarrassment.

Oh thank God it's not just me.

There was this definite air of "if this redditor doesn't start a pointless feud with their inlaws, my abusive parents have won" that seemed to permeate everything.

I left after my second probation for saying that escalating every single petty conflict wasn't a good idea.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Same and that goons have issues with how normal social interactions should go.

It's not hard. Never lean towards a woman (check green lines if unsure) and don't say good morning to men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
Turns out the reddit was here all along