Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

It's been a consistent issue that the story has weak characters but decent to good spectacle in the art, but the latter cannot compensate for the former all the time.

I think the main issue is that it’s better as an action-comedy than as straight action. For example the first chapters are full of exaggerated reaction faces to weird monster stuff.

But now it’s trying to have a big climactic battle between lots of different fighters, but the B and C cast just aren’t very interesting and it doesn’t really feel like anything is at stake.

A bunch of monsters suddenly pop up out of nowhere, it’s really heavy-handed at trying to portray them as this overwhelming deadly threat but it’s also transparently obvious that the monsters are all gonna job hard and immediately die. “Oh no this monster is a perfectly engineered countermeasure, the commander stands no chance, there is no way for them to defeat this .... oh they won” repeat x 10. And winning doesn’t really mean anything anyway since no.11 (was it 11? can’t remember) can seemingly just magic up a bunch of super monsters whenever he wants to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Not spoilering this because its not really about the speed scan chapter of black clover but i honestly don't remember why the final battle is happening. I know who is the villain I just don't remember the motivation

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jose posted:

Not spoilering this because its not really about the speed scan chapter of black clover but i honestly don't remember why the final battle is happening. I know who is the villain I just don't remember the motivation

I think he wants to create a utopia by brainwashing everyone, or something like that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Her opponent having the same issues was such a weird thing though. It’s standard yeah, but hey it looked neat doing it.
Meanwhile This fight with the guy with the weird eyes is a big nothing burger. I don’t know him, I don’t care about him and we needed the enemy to explain why he was even strong to begin with. The resolution to the fight was him getting punched through a wall and now the enemy is dead? :shrug: which signaled that he apparently surpassed his teacher that we only just learned he had an issue with.
Even Mashle without Mash was better than this.

Yeah, the issue isn't her family drama. The issue is that there's so little the story can draw from it just reflects this onto her opponent who jobs out in a handful of chapters.

Elite posted:

I think the main issue is that it’s better as an action-comedy than as straight action. For example the first chapters are full of exaggerated reaction faces to weird monster stuff.
I think the story can work just fine as a straight action, the base attack where Kafka finally revealed his identity was a magnificent sequence. What it can't do is make readers care about this boss rush where as you point out, the main antagonist can just pop out more of these Kaiju going into the future. I also just don't care about most of the characters so it's me biding my time until either Kafna or the Vice Captain are on panel.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

I think he wants to create a utopia by brainwashing everyone, or something like that.

Well also kill everyone and bring them back in brainwashed immortal bodies.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

but was it always Julius' intention or did he have a second personality. thats the bit i sort of don't remember

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The previous arc had a bunch of unexplained plot holes because Lucius is the fourth spade sibling, and used time and soul fuckery to conceal himself and his demon and also make sure the cast won. And yeah he was born with two souls like the golden deer captain, so hes always been that way but he erased himself from peoples memories.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well also kill everyone and bring them back in brainwashed immortal bodies.

I haven't read Black Clover in forever so I can't tell if this is legit or you guys are just saying the bad guy is Madara as a bit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jose posted:

but was it always Julius' intention or did he have a second personality. thats the bit i sort of don't remember

Yes Julius was a “fake” personality created to act as a sleeper agent

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ok cool. I enjoy reading black clover for the action but it really doesn't linger in my brain what happened

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The thing that gets me about Kaiju #8, is that it had a good thing going with the original squad. Kafka had dynamic relationships with Mina, Reno, Kikoru, and the rest of the squad overall that developed over time. Then the author broke up the squad and spread them all out while trying to introduce like a dozen new characters to set up for this big arc, and he just doesn't have the chops to make this work. None of these new characters are compelling enough to make me want more of them and I just keep wishing we could get the band back together.

So many shonen manga do this, like they want to have their own version of the Gotei 13, but would be better off just sticking to their core cast.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't really have an issue with this arc but the once a fortnight pacing is an issue for something that is standard chapter length. I hope it'll be back to the regular squad after this but maybe not

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I haven't read Black Clover in forever so I can't tell if this is legit or you guys are just saying the bad guy is Madara as a bit.

His goal is a bit similar, but it’s more kill everyone, revive them as immortals that unquestionably obey him, then rule the world as it’s immortal god king. Madara was more put everyone in a dream.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Alacron posted:

The thing that gets me about Kaiju #8, is that it had a good thing going with the original squad. Kafka had dynamic relationships with Mina, Reno, Kikoru, and the rest of the squad overall that developed over time. Then the author broke up the squad and spread them all out while trying to introduce like a dozen new characters to set up for this big arc, and he just doesn't have the chops to make this work. None of these new characters are compelling enough to make me want more of them and I just keep wishing we could get the band back together.

So many shonen manga do this, like they want to have their own version of the Gotei 13, but would be better off just sticking to their core cast.

The character work really is the weakest part of Kaiju #8. Despite his primary motivator being his childhood friend, I don't think we've seen Kafka exchange more than a few words with her at all, despite her apparently being cool with him being around. It also escalated things too much, too fast. It hasn't even been a year in-universe since Kafka became part of the troop and you already get this huge disaster against humanity, when you've barely even known the core crew, much less the new jerks it keeps introducing.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
New Versus chapter (translated) is out: https://cubari.moe/read/gist/Z2lzdC9nYXVjaGU3LzUzOWY4NDc0ZjVjZTI5YmE2ZTQwYjQ5ZDBiNzk0ZGQwL3Jhdy8/6/1/

While I genuinely love the premise of this series, and I enjoy reading every chapter, it's absolutely wild to me that we have spent the last 5 chapter releases, over the past 4 months, with all the characters essentially sitting in meetings...

I'm so eager to dig into the different natural enemies - like gaming world, neo humans, giant tree, aliens, etc. ONE is the ultimate tease in this series!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Alacron posted:

Hell end of the day Bleach probably woulda been better off storywise sticking with it's initial core cast and killing off/writing out most of the 13.

Maybe not merchwise which is probably why authors keep doing it though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah captains that died or lost their fights in soul society should have stayed dead and their ranks unfilled

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The fact that soul society as an organization survived the soul society arc is probably one of the first absolutely major failings of Bleach that underpinned its later downwards arc into poo poo, imo. Instead of having an alphabet soup of jobbers to manage the post-SS status quo should have been most of the captains dead, the survivors being too busy trying to rebuild poo poo to do anything else, and the karakura gang being the only ones free to actually do anything because they’re an unaffiliated third party.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If only Kubo hadn't made all the captains so cool.

Suffering from Success

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, he made some of them cool at least.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Manatee Cannon posted:

man I wish daemons of the shadow realm wasn't on such a poo poo app, it owns

this revelation in ch18 about daemons not casting a shadow makes me wonder about how brutal that initial attack on the village was. was it actually people that were being killed over there, or were they like danji? plus I kinda want to reread now to see if anyone else is missing a shadow

Finally got caught up with this, too, and yes, it is in fact a terrible app.

Surely there aren't that many daemons in the village, or they'd have been in a much better place to defend themselves. The fake Asa seems to be made of/manipulate shadows, so I'm assuming that she's Danji's "other half", and that she took the place of his shadow while they were in the village (since he must have had one then or Yuru would have noticed).

Honestly, what kind of organization is the village? They're named after the village, but it seems pretty clear that very little of their power or leadership lives there, so, what do they actually do? Are they another crime syndicate (I mean, they almost certainly are in some sense)? They seem to have world domination as a goal, but since they haven't had much success on that front, how are they recruiting so many people as to have internal factions and an apparent plethora of assassins?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New trailer for BLEACH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53_QT4NSB48

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

how much have they changed, if they changed anything at all.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I assume they'll do the actual intended ending instead of going from an absolutely glacial pace to suddenly kicking off the final battle out of nowhere and closing out the series in five chapters.

Not that there's much to get excited about, it's just endless fights against a literal alphabet army of villains and basically nothing else.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think there's any way to fix Bleach's ending to be honest.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think there's any way to fix Bleach's ending to be honest.

End everything after the Hueco Muendo arc. Not like it was that great compared to the rescue Rukia arc but at the very least Kubo shouldn't undo Aizen's reveal so he has to follow through.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

End everything after the Hueco Muendo arc. Not like it was that great compared to the rescue Rukia arc but at the very least Kubo shouldn't undo Aizen's reveal so he has to follow through.

I mean, sure, if you end the manga earlier or wrote a *different* ending arc or whatever it'd be better, but as things stand right now, I can't imagine the anime adaptation will do a much more satisfying ending. After all, we're still gonna see Ichigo get a new couple of swords just for them to immediately get broken, except then he'll get them back again and then eventually he'll reveal that it was really just the old sword all along while the all-seeing omnipotent enemy gets depowered by a special arrow. We might get some foreshadowing I guess? And maybe some more info on the Quincy dad.

We're probably gonna get *even more boring fights* though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Sakamoto Days was really good this week.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how Sakamoto started out as more of a comedy series.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I assume they'll do the actual intended ending instead of going from an absolutely glacial pace to suddenly kicking off the final battle out of nowhere and closing out the series in five chapters.

Not that there's much to get excited about, it's just endless fights against a literal alphabet army of villains and basically nothing else.

My brother in christ you are in the Shounen thread what the gently caress else you want

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i much prefer mangaplus as a website for reading manga but man its been ages since i kept up with a couple of series and have no bookmark of where I was

yozokura family I think they had just started a fight with the dad? it would probably be 20+ chapters ago
undead unluck i think they were just about to loop again? i forget if that even happened? would probably be 30+ chapters ago

these are very vague I'm aware and I could just skip back 50 chapters and may but thought I'd post first to see if my memory is so bad i need the 50 chapters

edit: undead unluck I last read on the SJ site so I know where to start probably. Chapter 106 lol

Jose fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 28, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Viz app always gets busted on Sunday, I assume because everyone checking in, but Mangaplus doesn't have this problem.

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of funny how Sakamoto started out as more of a comedy series.

I'm just happy they're able to incorporate the whacky gimmick assassins better into the series. The karma guy was real good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

now my issue is i changed bank last month but forgot to update payment details and just updated my phone and i'm logged out of all the banking apps and can't resub on the website. good job viz lol

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, sure, if you end the manga earlier or wrote a *different* ending arc or whatever it'd be better, but as things stand right now, I can't imagine the anime adaptation will do a much more satisfying ending. After all, we're still gonna see Ichigo get a new couple of swords just for them to immediately get broken, except then he'll get them back again and then eventually he'll reveal that it was really just the old sword all along while the all-seeing omnipotent enemy gets depowered by a special arrow. We might get some foreshadowing I guess? And maybe some more info on the Quincy dad.

We're probably gonna get *even more boring fights* though.

I think it got mentioned that is apparently more context for Ywach's backstory in a light novel or something, :shrug:. But there really isn't anything that could be done to "fix" the plot of Bleach at this point. As far as the Quincy threat, it was the exact moment where it's revealed that the Head Captain was fighting a doppelganger and then the real deal showed up that nobody credibly stood a chance against Ywach. All that could happen to resolve him as a threat is some nonsense, which is also the problem with Aizen as he was basically ten steps ahead of everyone. And I can't exactly remember but the trap in the spirit orb thing seems like a left field kind of resolution.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah I figured Kill Blue wasn't going to go down that path.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Dexo posted:

Yeah I figured Kill Blue wasn't going to go down that path.

Yeah this was basically guaranteed to be the thing to happen.

Separate to that, rip to the person who hoped Do Retry would deal at all with the sport aspects of boxing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, head's up, like the Shonen Jump app there are manga that are on the Viz website that aren't on the app.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Meanwhile, Tenmaku's showing more interesting difficulties for the production, and focusing more on the how of films. It's not saying much to say it's my favorite of the new batch at the moment, but right now I'm enjoying it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If Tenmaku Cinema becomes a manga about guerilla filmmaking then I will be very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I still like to make videos with my friends so Tenmaku scratches an itch for me