Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

sugar free jazz posted:

counterspell is messy and if a player was going to be using counterspell i'd have my player just give me a list of their spells and if they wanted to try and counterspell they could ask and i'd check the list. it's weird because both recognize spell and counterspell are reactions.

Note that you automatically recognize spells that you have prepared/that are in your repertoire, with no reaction required. Since you need to cast the same spell to counterspell anyways, you effectively automatically recognize any spell that you can counterspell (fancy wizard counterspelling notwithstanding).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The Remastered preview stream is making it pretty clear to me that this is, in fact, closer to a 2.5e than a 2.1e, insofar as that terminology is understandable.

Lots of changes, some weird (spell schools going away is weird with what references them), some required (OGL name changes), most good.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Only spontaneous casters have a repertoire, right? So for a witch/wizard, you automatically recognize any spell you currently have prepared, but not spells that are in your familiar/spellbook?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pork never goes bad posted:

Only spontaneous casters have a repertoire, right? So for a witch/wizard, you automatically recognize any spell you currently have prepared, but not spells that are in your familiar/spellbook?

Yes

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Link to summary of PaizoCon PF2E Remastered Panel: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q_NyA75fUx86Aw1uk1AzSb78gfg2UfVydRg2yt5prpw/preview

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks for sharing this, very interesting stuff.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
I didn't really think about how irrelevant spell types are most of the time until they announced that they're removing them. And now that they're gone and they've talked about what's replacing them, my one question is what they're doing with runelords. They're one of the more iconic parts of early Pathfinder, and they're a lot harder to explain without spell schools. Maybe they'll just treat them like any other wizard school and remove prohibited schools as a concept?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I know this is a convention changelog designed to make things sound cool. But, man, shedding the legacy baggage sounds like net win after net win here.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Warpriest buffs and cool witch stuff makes me happy.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I, too, am excited. Thanks for sharing Toshimo.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I didn't really think about how irrelevant spell types are most of the time until they announced that they're removing them. And now that they're gone and they've talked about what's replacing them, my one question is what they're doing with runelords. They're one of the more iconic parts of early Pathfinder, and they're a lot harder to explain without spell schools. Maybe they'll just treat them like any other wizard school and remove prohibited schools as a concept?

Didn't the runelords have a minor correlation to the 7 deadly sins? Couldn't they slot that in more prominently and have the magic tie to the theme m,ore?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah which is called out in the document a little. The runelords are the basis for the new focused on the school of learning system they're using.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The one thing I didn’t see in that recap that has me a bit worried is no mention of scaling items for spellcaster math, a shadow signet inclusion and more like that. I honestly don’t know why it wasn’t in the first core rulebook printing anyway.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Bee posted:

I know this is a convention changelog designed to make things sound cool. But, man, shedding the legacy baggage sounds like net win after net win here.

I will miss the fiends and chromatic dragons.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
They will still exist, you can still use them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

3 Action Economist posted:

I know, but they won’t get any updates for the future. Like it’s not a game breaking loss, but it saddens me a little bit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In news I am happy about. Kingmaker is nearly ready for Foundry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEV5ktd5ojE

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Paizo won't, though. And it's breaking away from 30+ years of my own gaming history from AD&D 1e through to Pathfinder 2e. The eight schools of magic, chromatic and metallic dragons, alignment. They're gone now.

Understanding why they're doing it and recognizing the basic necessity of it doesn't make the change any less jarring for those of us who saw Pathfinder as a continuation of things we'd been using in our games for 20, 30, 40 years. Now it's clearly a different game, and the ooooold school fans like me are going to have to make a decision on is it too much change, or not.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

MonsterEnvy posted:

hopefully this comes out sooner in q3 rather than later, my playgroup was extremely excited about kingmaker after having played the original release years ago so we started it and have been cobbling things together and it'd be nice to just have it all done already.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

DemonMage posted:

Yeah which is called out in the document a little. The runelords are the basis for the new focused on the school of learning system they're using.

Update: I'm blind.

Ravus Ursus posted:

Didn't the runelords have a minor correlation to the 7 deadly sins? Couldn't they slot that in more prominently and have the magic tie to the theme m,ore?

Yeah, but there isn't an easy "you can't cast spells from X" option without spell schools. But then, it's also not like runelords are so powerful mechanically that they need that kind of restriction in 2e. It'll probably be fine.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kvantum posted:

Paizo won't, though. And it's breaking away from 30+ years of my own gaming history from AD&D 1e through to Pathfinder 2e. The eight schools of magic, chromatic and metallic dragons, alignment. They're gone now.

Understanding why they're doing it and recognizing the basic necessity of it doesn't make the change any less jarring for those of us who saw Pathfinder as a continuation of things we'd been using in our games for 20, 30, 40 years. Now it's clearly a different game, and the ooooold school fans like me are going to have to make a decision on is it too much change, or not.

Chromatic and metallic dragons are a terrible concept. You can tell the good dragons from the bad dragons because the good ones are shiny? Really? Did anyone genuinely think that was an interesting idea?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Presumably Gary Gygax did, but then he thought you could tell good from bad based on skin color anyway, so...

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Silver2195 posted:

Chromatic and metallic dragons are a terrible concept. You can tell the good dragons from the bad dragons because the good ones are shiny? Really? Did anyone genuinely think that was an interesting idea?

WotC had started to get away from that as far back as Eberron, and Pathfinder had Hermea's ruler Mengkare from the start.

And I freely admit that a lot of this is just a "me" problem. When you have a 20+ year old campaign setting and things in it that were a big part of it (lots of focus on dragon society, not quite "Council of Wyrms"-level) will have to change if I want it to keep consistent with the updates to the core game, there's no way around it being a little upsetting.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Make the changes in-world. Progressive attitudes towards creatures so they're no longer all thought of as evil, except by boomers who refuse to change. New research in magic to break the idea of schools and the like.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kvantum posted:

WotC had started to get away from that as far back as Eberron, and Pathfinder had Hermea's ruler Mengkare from the start.

And I freely admit that a lot of this is just a "me" problem. When you have a 20+ year old campaign setting and things in it that were a big part of it (lots of focus on dragon society, not quite "Council of Wyrms"-level) will have to change if I want it to keep consistent with the updates to the core game, there's no way around it being a little upsetting.

I mean “20+ year old” means “since before D&D 3.5 came out,” so you’ve had to deal with bigger changes than this. Nobody’s making you change dragon-related lore in your home game (well, your players might, I guess, but is that the issue here?). At worst, you’ll need to tweak/homebrew some things if you want to use some future dragon-related content in your home game.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pretty hyped for this! Their abomination vaults module was so well made and requires very little prep work to run. Hoping Kingmaker will be of a similar level of quality.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

I mean “20+ year old” means “since before D&D 3.5 came out,” so you’ve had to deal with bigger changes than this.

D&D 3.0 came out in 2000 and the differences between 3.0 and 3.5 are not in lore stuff.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

D&D 3.0 came out in 2000 and the differences between 3.0 and 3.5 are not in lore stuff.

There wasn't a big retcon in 2003, no, but there were new settings (with somewhat different takes on, e.g., dragons) introduced during every edition of D&D, including 3.5, not to mention the differences between those settings and Golarion. Did Golarion even exist prior to 2008? I don't see why retcons regarding dragons in Golarion should matter for campaigns not set in Golarion.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Make the changes in-world. Progressive attitudes towards creatures so they're no longer all thought of as evil, except by boomers who refuse to change. New research in magic to break the idea of schools and the like.

Silver2195 posted:

I mean “20+ year old” means “since before D&D 3.5 came out,” so you’ve had to deal with bigger changes than this. Nobody’s making you change dragon-related lore in your home game (well, your players might, I guess, but is that the issue here?). At worst, you’ll need to tweak/homebrew some things if you want to use some future dragon-related content in your home game.

Oh, that's already a part of it. The Tarnished and the Shining. Clans (specific dragon type) and Clades (chromatic, metallic, planar, etc.) have "exchanges" for their Renegades, formally expelling them from one Clade to be adopted into another, but only in equal numbers. It's led to interesting things like a CG-aligned Blue Dragon desperately trying to find a renegade Brass Dragon, not as an enemy, but as a potential partner for the swap to keep their families happy overall.

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 27, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

The concept not being super interesting does not matter. I like the designs and personalities of the dragons, and I will miss them. That's the extent of it. The new Dragons could be an improvement in every single way, and I will still miss the old ones.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

MonsterEnvy posted:

The concept not being super interesting does not matter. I like the designs and personalities of the dragons, and I will miss them. That's the extent of it. The new Dragons could be an improvement in every single way, and I will still miss the old ones.

This is part of it, too. 30+ years of design/personality continuity being discarded. For understandable reasons, true, but still, it's something a lot of old school gamers will miss.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't even consider myself Old School, still it's what I am familiar with.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I feel that all this proves is that Pathfinder marketing itself as 'DnD but different' was a mistake in the first place.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I love this idea, though I realize not everyone will. Making lore changes part of the fiction of your world is so much more satisfying than just changing them by fiat (look at goblins!). But being able to mirror contemporary social trends in gaming and the ability to tell hopeful stories about positive movements actually succeeding and changing the world (again, goblins!!) is, I think, underappreciated by many in the wider gaming community that's, to some degree, obsessed with the grimdark. Paizo seem like they're embracing that possibility though, which to my mind is nothing but a good thing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hellioning posted:

I feel that all this proves is that Pathfinder marketing itself as 'DnD but different' was a mistake in the first place.

well, that's very much what pathfinder is

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

pork never goes bad posted:

I love this idea, though I realize not everyone will. Making lore changes part of the fiction of your world is so much more satisfying than just changing them by fiat (look at goblins!). But being able to mirror contemporary social trends in gaming and the ability to tell hopeful stories about positive movements actually succeeding and changing the world (again, goblins!!) is, I think, underappreciated by many in the wider gaming community that's, to some degree, obsessed with the grimdark. Paizo seem like they're embracing that possibility though, which to my mind is nothing but a good thing.

I'm definitely in the camp opposed to it, or at least feeling that Paizo seems to be too actively enthusiastic about it. Cheliax eliminating slavery altogether in favor of indentured servitude or sharecropping? It's just coming off as almost silly. The country whose monarchy is only propped up in power through literal contracts with Hell suddenly looks at slavery and says "oh, well that's just too far!"? Come on.

Now the idea might be that it's an active part of the diabolical plot. An more insidious evil, creeping even deeper into mortal hearts as an "I Can't Believe it's not Slavery" kind of thing. Still, it just feels forced and performative, almost, rather than actual and genuine.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kvantum posted:

Now the idea might be that it's an active part of the diabolical plot. An more insidious evil, creeping even deeper into mortal hearts as an "I Can't Believe it's not Slavery" kind of thing. Still, it just feels forced and performative, almost, rather than actual and genuine.

So much more profitable to exploit workers than it is to pay for their room and board.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kvantum posted:

I'm definitely in the camp opposed to it, or at least feeling that Paizo seems to be too actively enthusiastic about it. Cheliax eliminating slavery altogether in favor of indentured servitude or sharecropping? It's just coming off as almost silly. The country whose monarchy is only propped up in power through literal contracts with Hell suddenly looks at slavery and says "oh, well that's just too far!"? Come on.

I think Paizo might be trying to get away from the uncomfortable implications of things like most Hellknights (including prominent members of the Order of the Chain) being Lawful Neutral. I think a lot of the stuff along those lines was from the 1e era, but still.

Edit: Though yeah, you could also understand it in-universe as a sort of strategic retreat by Cheliax.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 27, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

super sweet best pal posted:

So much more profitable to exploit workers than it is to pay for their room and board.

Also Cheliax has lost lots of territory because of revolts and outside nations seeing them as this monolithic evil force with slavery and a literally diabolic legal system. Categorically "freeing" their slaves (but preserving the caste system of functional slavery) will win them a PR coup and relieve pressure from rebellions and diplomatic neighbors and possibly win them more allies who will help them enforce the legal limits on freedom. "It's not slavery, it's tithing/wages/free trade." It might even make people say poo poo like, "I'm free!? Bless Asmodeus the Liberator!" and undermine actual good deities.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

marshmallow creep posted:

Also Cheliax has lost lots of territory because of revolts and outside nations seeing them as this monolithic evil force with slavery and a literally diabolic legal system. Categorically "freeing" their slaves (but preserving the caste system of functional slavery) will win them a PR coup and relieve pressure from rebellions and diplomatic neighbors and possibly win them more allies who will help them enforce the legal limits on freedom. "It's not slavery, it's tithing/wages/free trade." It might even make people say poo poo like, "I'm free!? Bless Asmodeus the Liberator!" and undermine actual good deities.

smh Asmodeus spent time at the University of Chicago, and brought back with him some great ideas.