Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm so tired of this middle school bullshit. I don't even interact with this rear end in a top hat other than simple greetings and I'm done with that. I'm sorry he's a loving deadbeat dad, but maybe he should stop taking out his anger at his own shortcomings on his coworkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Have you tried not giving a flying gently caress about this head chef who doesn't affect your job at all? Seriously, EFN. Ignore his rear end. He's a bastard that has nothing to live for but being a miserable prick.

So take his loving joy away and don't buy into his game. Ignore him so hard he cries alone in the walk in where his employees usually cry.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Randy Travesty posted:

Have you tried not giving a flying gently caress about this head chef who doesn't affect your job at all? Seriously, EFN. Ignore his rear end. He's a bastard that has nothing to live for but being a miserable prick.

So take his loving joy away and don't buy into his game. Ignore him so hard he cries alone in the walk in where his employees usually cry.

You're right. That's basically the plan. poo poo just gets tiring.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Escape From Noise posted:

You're right. That's basically the plan. poo poo just gets tiring.

I know. But don't let him suck the joy from your sails.

You make good beer and this place sucks poo poo. You've survived this long, look for a new gig that will sponsor your visa and feel zero regret when you leave.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

use the head chefs equipment to warm up a big pot of spaghetti-o's and slowly eat them out of the pot without breaking eye contact or blinking

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

blatman posted:

use the head chefs equipment to warm up a big pot of spaghetti-o's and slowly eat them out of the pot without breaking eye contact or blinking

Could I just throw a chair at his fat head?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No, violence would be a path to heaven but also to losing your visa.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Perhaps you could instead cook the chair?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

That's letting him live rent free my guy, you gotta choose joy and probably find a new job pronto

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Chewbecca posted:

That's letting him live rent free my guy, you gotta choose joy and probably find a new job pronto

It's just this dumb crap. Most of the job is pretty easy-going, but this guy's just always whinging about how little I work or whatever.

Edit: but yeah. I'm looking at reviewing my options.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i dunno im not your boss but it seems to me that if his head is fat enough it'd be hard to miss

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

At least my managers like the Maibock?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Randy Travesty posted:

I know. But don't let him suck the joy from your sails.

Joy is stored in the sails.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol Imagine being pissed off at other people in your workplace instead of just loathing your own job and fantasizing every day about when you get to clock out and have a chance to be happy

That chef sounds like he has too much free time or something. If he can lean, he can clean!!!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

How's that going to get you some tasty Spaghetti-Os?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

How's that going to get you some tasty Spaghetti-Os?

Time for a confession: I've never had Spaghetti-O's. I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Time for a confession: I've never had Spaghetti-O's. I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry!

You should try them!

They are absolutely disgusting.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

You should try them!

They are absolutely disgusting.

I have seen the commercials if this helps.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’re mainly for kids with no tastebuds. It’s literally just tomato sauce and tiny pasta with a handful of sodium to top it off.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
With added sugar. Not enough in just the tomatoes.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

The Black Stones posted:

Complain that all he does is “just cook food” like how hard can that be? I can make myself dinner no problem bud.

Holy shiiiit the meltdown would be exquisite.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
"Stop acting like using a microwave is a hard job."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"You don't even wash your own dishes."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
There's dumbass teenagers working McDonald's down the street how hard can it be?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Toxic Mental posted:

lol Imagine being pissed off at other people in your workplace instead of just loathing your own job and fantasizing every day about when you get to clock out and have a chance to be happy

That chef sounds like he has too much free time or something. If he can lean, he can clean!!!

Quit your bitchin and start to pitch in

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cthulu Carl posted:

The CEO picked Leonardo

Also gave a very noncommittal "Yes we looked at inflation" answer about compensation

Yeah, the answer we've been getting is "We base our salary increases on the cost of labor and not the increased cost of goods and the labor cost inflation has been fairly low." Like eight months of every All-Hands Q&As asking about compensation changes and getting that answer and some variation of "We are listening" or "We are sensitive to the topic" and then when raises were handed out they were basically all raised by a single percentage point over the usual range. Most of us understand that the only way to get anything beyond that level of raise is to jump jobs or companies, but I don't think anyone was ready for how little they were willing to do in the face of high consumer inflation. It hit me a little less than other people because I moved up a step just as raises were rolling out and got the max allowable without having to have an executive level person approve the jump. I was apparently in the middle scale of what my pay band was and should have been, after four years, at the high end, so now I'm in the middle area of my new job title.

If you need an idea of how much work I typically do in a day: I was going to respond to that when it was first asked and only just now had some downtime. Typically, I'm at my desk from 6AM to 5PM or beyond, with about eight to ten of those hours being actual work. I'm also doing something like three jobs at the moment and one of them is a crisis level priority, the other is treated like it's in crisis if responses aren't immediate and the third is kicking into high gear now that I'm organizing a process mapping event for next month. In truth, a lot of this is emailing things and responding to questions from either vendors or people further removed from our process, but in May alone I issued something like 200 purchase orders, which is more than what most buyers issue in a year if not multiple years.

Thankfully, I work from home so I can take a couple minutes here and there to decompress away from other people and I get all my email and IMs on my work phone. I can go walk the dog while responding to IMs or whatever I need to do in order to get out of work mode for a few minutes a day. I went to the store yesterday to get some patio furniture and pick up a gift for my wife, but had to stop every five minutes to respond to urgent emails (and the trip was a complete waste because Lowes didn't have the chairs I needed and Wal-Mart didn't have Advance Wars). I can't complain too much because that kind of freedom is lacking in most office or shop floor level jobs entirely, so the fact that I can take some time to do other things that would have to be confined to weekends normally is something of a perk.

Today's been an outlier in that I've gone multiple minutes without anyone trying to contact me, but every Friday before a holiday weekend is like this.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
If you're "doing the work of three people" then your company thinks that is one person's job and will give you one person's salary for it.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

BigHead posted:

If you're "doing the work of three people" then your company thinks that is one person's job and will give you one person's salary for it.

I have tried to explain this to people I work with and they just don’t seem to get it. If a manager comes to you and asks you to do something beyond your job responsibilities and you just do it without question, that’s now become one of your job responsibilities. I have seen people take on more roles “to help out” and never get any additional compensation, and never have those roles moved back to another position, to think that it’s going to work out any differently for me.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, the answer we've been getting is "We base our salary increases on the cost of labor and not the increased cost of goods and the labor cost inflation has been fairly low." Like eight months of every All-Hands Q&As asking about compensation changes and getting that answer and some variation of "We are listening" or "We are sensitive to the topic" and then when raises were handed out they were basically all raised by a single percentage point over the usual range. Most of us understand that the only way to get anything beyond that level of raise is to jump jobs or companies, but I don't think anyone was ready for how little they were willing to do in the face of high consumer inflation. It hit me a little less than other people because I moved up a step just as raises were rolling out and got the max allowable without having to have an executive level person approve the jump. I was apparently in the middle scale of what my pay band was and should have been, after four years, at the high end, so now I'm in the middle area of my new job title.

If you need an idea of how much work I typically do in a day: I was going to respond to that when it was first asked and only just now had some downtime. Typically, I'm at my desk from 6AM to 5PM or beyond, with about eight to ten of those hours being actual work. I'm also doing something like three jobs at the moment and one of them is a crisis level priority, the other is treated like it's in crisis if responses aren't immediate and the third is kicking into high gear now that I'm organizing a process mapping event for next month. In truth, a lot of this is emailing things and responding to questions from either vendors or people further removed from our process, but in May alone I issued something like 200 purchase orders, which is more than what most buyers issue in a year if not multiple years.

Thankfully, I work from home so I can take a couple minutes here and there to decompress away from other people and I get all my email and IMs on my work phone. I can go walk the dog while responding to IMs or whatever I need to do in order to get out of work mode for a few minutes a day. I went to the store yesterday to get some patio furniture and pick up a gift for my wife, but had to stop every five minutes to respond to urgent emails (and the trip was a complete waste because Lowes didn't have the chairs I needed and Wal-Mart didn't have Advance Wars). I can't complain too much because that kind of freedom is lacking in most office or shop floor level jobs entirely, so the fact that I can take some time to do other things that would have to be confined to weekends normally is something of a perk.

Today's been an outlier in that I've gone multiple minutes without anyone trying to contact me, but every Friday before a holiday weekend is like this.

Sounds like the business you surely own is booming at least

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Question for everyone: What is the best job you ever had, and what made it the best? Was it a good job objectively or just tolerable in ways you could stand?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Apparently the head chef is being pissy about me because "all I do" is brew beer. Lol. Yeah dude. That's kinda my loving job.

Mathematically compare the amount of meals this guy produces to the amount of beer you produce. That'll make it look like he doesn't do poo poo

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Chewbecca posted:

Question for everyone: What is the best job you ever had, and what made it the best? Was it a good job objectively or just tolerable in ways you could stand?

Current job hands down. In no particular order:

1. I get to focus on the parts of my job that I like doing.
2. 100% remote.
3. I'm compensated fairly.
4. I work way loving less than 40 hours a week.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

BigHead posted:

When I took the position it was stated that I would be pulling responsibilities from two other people so they could get back to their actual jobs and figuring out how to make the functions that were taking up almost all of their time into something manageable by someone working these things part time. It's a good fit for me because this type of purchasing was what I did for the first 3.5 years here, and I'm deeply familiar with our Compliance system from this past year of working the more traditional side of the business, which the things I'm being asked to do would have gotten people fired if anyone was paying attention. I didn't love being in the business-as-usual side of the company because, as I thought when people had previously tried to recruit me, there's almost no critical thinking involved. I've basically taken on more work and responsibilities to have the ability to fix a glaring issue in how the business runs. Completing projects like this is more or less the currency that you use to move your career around here, which is something I didn't care about for a long time but now I want to see how far I can get before I just hit a wall I can't climb. As a mediocre white man it'll probably be a while.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Chewbecca posted:

Reference Desk at an academic library. 90% of your time is just sitting at a computer doing whatever you want. You don't have to hide it, you're not slacking off, you are explicitly being paid for your availability.

8% of your time you're telling people where the bathroom is or helping them find where a book they already looked up actually is.

1% of your time you're helping people find sources for a paper, which is a pretty fun thing to do sometimes.

1% of the time you're listening to literal crazy people try to communicate whatever is going on in their mind.

The need to sit at the computer and be available was amazing for my productivity at other things. I got a lot of my own research and writing done from there. The actual work was rare enough that it stayed fun when it came up. The work environment was pretty great. I'm sure if it was in a profit minded setting some busy body boss would be horrified at how much time I was idle and given me some busy work to do between questions. This was an academic library though, and the librarians didn't give a poo poo.

Pay was absolute garbage for the education and skill level.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The job I have now is the best job I’ve ever had because it pays the most for the least amount of work and stress.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My girlfriend's company is letting her walk (to a job at a competing company) because they don't want to pay 1k for a certification that would allow them to charge their client more per hour for her services.

But they approved it for her boss, and paid him, no less, for literally the exact same course. She had been with that company for three years and they want her to drop off her truck at a site two hours away from where we work, and she was leaving on good terms. HR are some of the most thunderingly idiotic goblins.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 26, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This is a good summation of how much my department cares. My supervisor posted in our group chat "Hey is it alright if I head out after lunch? My relatives are in town" and I say yes. My department's boss hasn't even responded because he's obviously out at the lake fishing or something. lmao

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Outrail posted:

Doesn't he use his own money to go on holi.. haha sorry I'm not finishing that question.

Eat the rich.

It's only embezzlement if there's more than one owner. Wait there are two owners. Oh they're married. Oh their minor aged children are collecting paychecks as well.

I hope we get audited. I think it would be fun.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

A Festivus Miracle posted:

they want her to drop off her truck at a site two hours away from where we work, and she was leaving on good terms. HR are some of the most thunderingly idiotic goblins.

I hope she told them they will fully compensate her for those two hours and that the company will provide transportation back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Johnny Truant posted:

I hope she told them they will fully compensate her for those two hours and that the company will provide transportation back

We've already filled a police report that you stole the truck, the only way you'll get us to recant that testimony is to grovel on a Zoom call and do all the stupid tiktok dances you refused to do earlier this year!