Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

He also has a big painting of himself with Jesus which he proudly displays in his own home.

I see a young Jack Nicholson in brownface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

E the Shaggy posted:

WHAT ARE ELON'S POLITICS???

with elon going so hard for Desantis and Desantis going so hard to stick it to Disney I'd bet dollars against donuts Musk has been promised a piece of Reedy Creek or something similar for himself

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

I see a young Jack Nicholson in brownface.

You're the third psychic that's told me that... Strange

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
"You make me president, I give you cape canaveral"

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

E the Shaggy posted:

WHAT ARE ELON'S POLITICS???

I was reading an article off some tech website today and a line I found especially funny was "his critics try to pigeonhole him as right wing", which is a weak defense because he's obviously right-wing but also it's pathetic to not just own it. If you agree with right wing politics just say it with your chest instead of being a pussy and acting like the label is a slur against you

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

He also has a big painting of himself with Jesus which he proudly displays in his own home.

who's the white guy behind Jesus?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

save this one for the next slapfight - elon musk: but you what isn't noise

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

kazil posted:

pay elon $8 a month to get all the movies you can download lol

I can download Shrek in glorious 480p

Twitter truly is the website of the early 2000s

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Like every third tweet I see today now has bot replies like this. Just more and more of a shithole every day.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Breaking News: Elon Musk has just spent $50 billion to buy Kazaa Lite

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
lol

https://twitter.com/KobeissiLetter/status/1662194240678395904

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

that gold check is 12,000 dollars a year right?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

that gold check is 12,000 dollars a year right?

yeah it's $1000/month for the main account, and each "affiliated" account attached to it is an extra $50/month

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

repiv posted:

yeah it's $1000/month for the main account, and each "affiliated" account attached to it is an extra $50/month

Stop this is a joke right.

looks it up

Please tell me that you're a master hacker and that's why Google verifies this is true

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

When regular dick riding just won't do

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

You can tell Twitter is a great website because people are constantly remarking, without prompting, what a great website it is

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tea Party Crasher posted:

That's not Jesus that's ET

Tomayto, tomahto

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

I was reading an article off some tech website today and a line I found especially funny was "his critics try to pigeonhole him as right wing", which is a weak defense because he's obviously right-wing but also it's pathetic to not just own it. If you agree with right wing politics just say it with your chest instead of being a pussy and acting like the label is a slur against you
But if he did that then he wouldn't be able to brag about how he's a super smart smarty-pants who truly listens to both sides, and then comes to a decision after much internal thought and rational debate (which just so happens to be the position that the Nazis agree with 100% of the time).

Chuds need that myth. Emotional decisions are for beta trans soycucks, my politics are based on logic and facts.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

But if he did that then he wouldn't be able to brag about how he's a super smart smarty-pants who truly listens to both sides, and then comes to a decision after much internal thought and rational debate (which just so happens to be the position that the Nazis agree with 100% of the time).

Chuds need that myth. Emotional decisions are for beta trans soycucks, my politics are based on logic and facts.

And the fact that they use that framing means that apparently we've already ceded the ground that "feelings" don't matter, that empathy and compassion are things that should not rate in a political debate and should be derided and eradicated.

Like gently caress you idiots, the whole point of having a :airquote: next generation :airquote: country founded on intellectual concepts instead of national origins was that we would be able to provide a good life for the less fortunate, because the march of science and technology allows us to be compassionate. That was THE ENTIRE POINT

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Not to mention that facts and logic are not mutually exclusive from the realm of feelings and emotions. America is a complete poo poo show mental and physical health-wise, something clearly exacerbated by the lack of compassion our society shows, a fact that you can show through research and point to as a problem (The Myth of Normal by Gabor Mate illustrates this well.) To deny human emotion is to deny reality itself.

This dualistic idea that somehow human feelings don't matter AT ALL should be the most obvious signal to people that the right wing's ultimate end goal is to turn every person in this country into a p-zombie that eats gruel praises Jesus and dies in foreign wars.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Breaking News: Elon Musk has just spent $50 billion to buy Kazaa Lite

He strikes me as more of a Limewire kind of guy

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don't understand the brains of Tesla fans.

https://twitter.com/JeffTutorials/status/1661822576614580226?s=20

Putting something important like turn signals on the wheel is an absolutely insane idea.

Have these people never tried to change the stereo volume in the middle of a turn and realized "oh wait my volume rocker is upside-down and on the wrong side right now which means I have to..." and by the time you can wrap your brain around the current location and orientation of the volume rocker switch you've already completed the turn. Now imagine that's your turn signals and you're going through a roundabout or something.

Plus those look like capacitive buttons! in which case there's no tactile feedback and they won't work if you have gloves on. :stare:

And I thought they had gotten rid of the stupid yoke once everyone realize that's a completely loving terrible idea for anything other than a racecar because in normal cars you regularly have to turn the wheel all the way around and there's a goddamn reason it's a circle. Are they bringing the yoke back for the Cybertruck?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

And I thought they had gotten rid of the stupid yoke once everyone realize that's a completely loving terrible idea for anything other than a racecar because in normal cars you regularly have to turn the wheel all the way around and there's a goddamn reason it's a circle. Are they bringing the yoke back for the Cybertruck?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

:staredog:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1661830256721010689

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

The entire grift of technology companies is not to make something better, just to make something new and different. A design that will stand the test of time and stay viable is not something that makes venture capitalists pump you harder than an inflation artist's fursona.

Edit:

Is he proposing that the car somehow magically predict 100 ft ahead which direction you're going to turn, or that the car just signals while you are turning which is also a terrible idea

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

so it starts signaling after you start changing lanes? I bet he drove a BMW before he bought tesla.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Entropic posted:

I don't understand the brains of Tesla fans.

https://twitter.com/JeffTutorials/status/1661822576614580226?s=20

Putting something important like turn signals on the wheel is an absolutely insane idea.

Have these people never tried to change the stereo volume in the middle of a turn and realized "oh wait my volume rocker is upside-down and on the wrong side right now which means I have to..." and by the time you can wrap your brain around the current location and orientation of the volume rocker switch you've already completed the turn. Now imagine that's your turn signals and you're going through a roundabout or something.

Plus those look like capacitive buttons! in which case there's no tactile feedback and they won't work if you have gloves on. :stare:

Also lol at miming taking your hand off the wheel to move several inches to hit where the stalk should be. I can basically use my pinky to flick the turn signal on my '05 Pontiac shitbox

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Broke: yokes
Woke: smoke... from your car, after you wreck it

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cthulu Carl posted:

Also lol at miming taking your hand off the wheel to move several inches to hit where the stalk should be. I can basically use my pinky to flick the turn signal on my '05 Pontiac shitbox

https://twitter.com/jayman/status/1662043506867679232?s=20

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

that the car just signals while you are turning which is also a terrible idea

My mom's Subaru does this. Obviously you've got the stick to properly signal, but if you've failed to do so it will signal on its own as you start turning or changing lanes

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

I broke my collarbone when I was a teenager and my uncle had one of these that he let me use. It was awesome. I see why they're typically illegal though, since I wouldn't have been able to control the wheel if it was under any impulse from terrain or whatever.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

IBroughttheFunk posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1662193436684951556?cxt=HHwWiIC92feHppEuAAAA

Thank you for simping for Ronny, Mr. Centrist.

Goddamn, there's going to be so, so, so many more of these.

"But you what isn't noise"?

Every so often this guy just starts tweeting like he has a brain injury

Also what is this dumb gently caress's deal of simping so hard for pudding man? Did Ronny promise him funding for a rocket to Mars if he's elected?

Why do these two dipshits love each other so much? Mutual pudding fetish?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 27, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pudding Fingers signed legislation that exempted rocket companies from being sued for liability from falling rocket bits, so that's probably a big reason.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

unfortunately i think hes just really high all the time

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Jestery posted:

I sunk 60hrs into it and loved every second

I may buy a new PC to play the sequel

It's undeniably a polarising game, however, the first 10 hours in tutorial valley has 80% of the interactions and 100% of the vibes of the full game. If you finish tutorial valley, your opinion is valid on the game IMO

Really good goofy game about being a courier and the disconnection of humanity into splinter groups. And the performance capture was enough to get some real pathos out of me.

10/10

Interesting. thanks for sharing your perspective. I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a good game at all, merely giving my perspective based on what I use video games for which is watching other people play them. I think the guy I was watching might've been playing with the sound off because looking into it now it looks like it does have a soundtrack. Kind of hard to find people playing games exactly the way you want them to play which is frustrating. Interested in playing the game for another 24 hours so I can check it out?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

these ethic committees we maintained for advertiser confidence are inefficient. going forward if you can't succinctly explain why you feel bad about something you will be PIP'd.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

thathonkey posted:

unfortunately i think hes just really high all the time

I'm pretty sure he's guineapigging himself with a combo of stimulants and psychedelics and roids

the bizarre behavior, 24/7 awakeness, and stupid aggression towards random stuff and pathetically thirsty horniness coming from a techbro billionaire? you know they've prolly got some Soylent Zuck microdots made out of adrenochrome and Adderall that balance your chakras and battens down namaste or w/e

...!
Oct 5, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

"But you what isn't noise"?

Also what is this dumb gently caress's deal of simping so hard for pudding man? Did Ronny promise him funding for a rocket to Mars if he's elected?

Why do these two dipshits love each other so much? Mutual pudding fetish?

https://slate.com/technology/2023/05/elon-musk-ron-desantis-twitter-launch-president-trump-biden.html

quote:

Why Elon Musk Is a DeSantis Guy

He can’t support Biden. He can’t back Trump. And he definitely can’t help himself.

BY ALEX KIRSHNER

MAY 25, 20238:47 PM

Elon Musk is backing Ron DeSantis for president. Strictly speaking, that’s a forward-looking prediction, but in some significant ways, it is already happening. Musk said in November that he would vote for the Florida governor if he ran, and on Wednesday night, he gave DeSantis’ nascent campaign an in-kind contribution—although maybe one that DeSantis’ team regrets. Musk and his venture capitalist sidekick David Sacks promoted and hosted a Twitter Spaces launch event for DeSantis. The thing crashed before it could get started. Once everyone got a working connection, Sacks, who has already started to lay fundraising foundations for DeSantis, joined a list of the governor’s pals in lobbing softballs in his direction until the technology gave out.

All of that is more than most rich guys and their associates do for any given campaign. But Musk’s coming support of DeSantis is an eventuality, an inevitable convergence of the various hats the billionaire wants to wear at the same time. Because of how he makes his money, how he has chosen to brand himself to his loving hordes of fans, and what his other options are, Musk will need to support DeSantis. He could, in theory, “sit out” the 2024 election cycle, but that would be a bit farcical, given that he’s already bought a major social media platform under explicitly political pretenses—to boost “free speech” at a time when it’s a conservative pet issue. Musk clearly feels a pull to be in the game, and if he wants to play in a deeper way than wasting a few bucks on a loser, he has but one choice.

Musk’s politics, as he describes them, are incoherent beyond revealing a general distaste for things that make his life less convenient. He said this month that he’ll cast his first Republican vote for president in 2024. His dissatisfaction with the Democratic Party stems from it being “overly controlled by the unions and by the trial lawyers, particularly class-action lawyers.” The former point is silly; Musk is just touchy about unions because Tesla sometimes gets in trouble for trying to crush them. President Biden just broke a rail strike, and during the two years in which the party just controlled all of Congress, it did not turn the very pro-union PRO Act into law. The point about class-action lawyers is mainly just funny, and if you polled 100 people on who ran the Democratic Party, it’s possible that you’d get zero people answering “class-action lawyers” unless you had Musk himself in your sample. (Musk has defended more class-action lawsuits than … maybe any person ever? One can see why he’d disdain lawyers.)

Musk’s description of why he’s turned toward conservatives is revealing in its flimsiness. His objections are not to actual Democratic orthodoxies of the moment, but to ones that he made up and that look designed to pave himself a lane as the reasonable guy in the room. If the Democrats are under the thumb of labor and lawyers, and thus doing things that run counter to what Musk calls “the people” rather than, say, Tesla’s share price or his own legal bills, then he can be the populist, common-sense guy standing against them. That’s different from being the conservative firebrand against them, which Musk has tried to avoid as a branding tack. He has repeatedly (including this month) called himself a moderate and noted that he voted for Biden in 2020.

And there’s where Musk begins to quickly run out of 2024 choices. He cannot come out for Biden, as that would alienate the right-wing fanbase he has been cultivating over the past few years, and he would have fewer people saying nice things to him in the replies to all of his posts. But he cannot come out for Trump, at least not yet, because backing the least popular president in the history of political science wouldn’t be super-duper moderate of him. Musk’s preferred brand positioning rests on supporting a Republican who’s plausibly broad in his appeal. In reality, DeSantis is running to the right of Trump on several issues, but at least his particular culture-war tactics sometimes align with Musk’s own free-speech and COVID-skeptical preoccupations. It’s easier to be the purported reasonable guy in the room, standing up against the woke mind virus (only someone as extremely online as Musk would think most Americans care about woke mind viruses), when you can steer clear of Donald Trump and back the guy who has already started to ape your talking points. The Republican nominee is probably not going to be someone other than Trump or DeSantis, so no matter how much Musk likes Tim Scott’s ads, the South Carolina senator cannot be the apple of this billionaire’s eye. Scott can take heart, at least, that retweets don’t require FEC filings.

But again: Most of this isn’t a matter of prediction. Musk already said he’d vote for DeSantis and gave him an easy (though technologically wonky) launch ride on a platform he bought. Sacks, one of Musk’s top guys who advises him and whom he allegedly kicks out of meetings, is already in DeSantis’ corner. Also, DeSantis seems confident enough of Musk’s support that his campaign posted a video that makes them look like running mates. I think I would not do that if I thought the owner of an influential social media platform was about to slap me down in public. Whether Musk makes a proper endorsement or starts cutting checks is the only question. Whatever energy he exerts on any candidate who actually might win the Republican primary will be on DeSantis.

What is that support worth? It’s hard to say. The cleaving of Musk’s popularity on Twitter, the little fiefdom where many of us like to roll around like pigs, is relatively clear. People on the right like him a bit more, and people on the left like him a bit less. There hasn’t historically been much polling about Musk, because he’s been just a rich guy instead of a political player who insists on putting himself at the nexus of any conversation about anything. There’s a bit more of an effort to capture real public sentiment about him now, and Republicans do seem to like him a lot more than Democrats. That would figure to make Musk’s public statements more influential in a primary, where the voters are more likely not to think he’s a weenie, than in a general election. But who knows how much sway he has? It’s an untested question. The Republican base is not outrageously online at all times and might miss a lot of what he says. Here, maybe it’s worth thinking about how Fox has pretty much sat out the streaming wars not just in sports, but in news. Musk has a megaphone, but he’s one guy and Twitter isn’t on cable.

Come general election time, Musk could be a bit of help to Trump or DeSantis. (Or he could not! Political punditry is good fun.) By launching a paid product at the same time he was making a hard-right pivot in his public persona, Musk has changed Twitter dramatically. Subscribers get their posts boosted far and wide compared to nonsubscribers, and that has made many corners of the platform into right-wing echo chambers. Musk is likely to take a financial bath on Twitter, a product he recently valued at $20 billion after a purchase at $44 billion. But he might get a win insofar as he turns Twitter into a place where it is fundamentally harder for left-wing sentiment to flourish. That seems like it’d be good for whoever is running in the red column in future elections. Then again, Twitter isn’t that popular, and while Musk’s ambition is to make it something that entrances people’s minds, the site doesn’t really do that.

At any rate, the 2024 election will be a capstone for Musk. He bought Twitter under explicitly ideological pretenses, framing it as his contribution to free expression on the internet at a moment when that was a right-of-center cause célèbre. While Musk had turned toward worrying about the dollars and cents by the time Twitter’s old management backed him into closing the deal, the money was never going to be the fun of owning Twitter. The company is, historically, a money pit. Instead, the fun of owning Twitter would come in making himself the eternal center of the internet’s attention and using his new toy to shape the world to his liking. Why buy Twitter if you won’t even dabble in buying a presidential candidate?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The entire grift of technology companies is not to make something better, just to make something new and different. A design that will stand the test of time and stay viable is not something that makes venture capitalists pump you harder than an inflation artist's fursona.

I was on a Windows 11 workstation in the display settings and where the button to change font size would normally be is now a link labeled "How to Change Font Size" that launches Edge and enters the search into Bing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Trump and Biden both hate Elon lol