Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Vintersorg posted:

I see people post this from time to time as some big knock on Filoni. Meanwhile they’ll go around saying Lucas is god. But isn’t Lucas “playing with his action figures” too? Who gives a poo poo.

Lucas notably has very little reverence for Star Wars in like the way that people who grew up fans of Star Wars will often have reverence for it.

Anyway, playing with action figures can be fun.

Like all things could end up good, could end up bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

(also, live action Hondo please)

We got Hondo at Galaxy's Edge already, it's plausible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dexo posted:

Lucas notably has very little reverence for Star Wars in like the way that people who grew up fans of Star Wars will often have reverence for it.

Anyway, playing with action figures can be fun.

Like all things could end up good, could end up bad.

The older I get, the more I come to admire Lucas's polite disdain for people who like Star Wars too much.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dave Filoni is the dude from Toy Story 2 who lovingly repaints old toys back into mint condition, while George Lucas is Sid - pulling his toys apart to make whatever new poo poo he thinks is cool.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Vintersorg posted:

I see people post this from time to time as some big knock on Filoni. Meanwhile they’ll go around saying Lucas is god. But isn’t Lucas “playing with his action figures” too? Who gives a poo poo.

I see you taking my post expressing how happy I am for Filoni and turning it into an attempt to bring attention to yourself. Who gives a poo poo?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Marsupial Ape posted:

I see you taking my post expressing how happy I am for Filoni and turning it into an attempt to bring attention to yourself. Who gives a poo poo?

And we the fans are the daycare kids

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Shoehead posted:

Which is why I assumed we all loved action figures. I honestly thought Indian in the Cupboard would be what got me called problematic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shoehead posted:

What does that make Al the toy barn owner?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Arc Hammer posted:

kevin feige

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arc Hammer posted:

Well Al is just AI now, and you probably had to do a double take to notice

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Is it ok to see the Buzz Lightyear movie if I have never seen Toy Story?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Marsupial Ape posted:

Yes, just to be clear Buzz Lightyear isn't about Buzz Lightyear the toy. It is the origin story of the human Buzz Lightyear that the toy is based on.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

A couple barely there references may be lost on you, but yes absolutely

This is the movie the toy in Toy Story is based on so in most ways it's an unrelated meta prequel

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

The big thing about Lightyear as a movie is that it's mostly just mediocre at best more than anything. Other than that, it's just Buzz Lightyear doing Buzz Lightyear poo poo.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Marsupial Ape posted:

Yeah, but you do have to watch all 62 episodes of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
But I’ll get all the Tool Time references, right,?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Begemot posted:

Yeah, but you do have to watch all 62 episodes of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.

Do this just for Zurg chewing on the scenery :allears:.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

nine-gear crow posted:

The older I get, the more I come to admire Lucas's polite disdain for people who like Star Wars too much.

I like to think that he was trained in it by the ghost of Alec Guinness.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Arc Hammer posted:

Yeah, lousy try, Brian.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Pablo Hidalgo is this guy

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Who is the shark from Toy Story in this situation? Cause they’re the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfHyQ4m3BxU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

fartknocker posted:

Who is the shark from Toy Story in this situation? Cause they’re the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfHyQ4m3BxU

Favreau?

Not sure what's going on, but hey, nice hat, mind if I try it out?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Begemot posted:

Seriously though, how is said cartoon anyway?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Larryb posted:

Mid

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you can make it past the first hour of Lightyear congrats. What a slog.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Larryb posted:

Well I loved it as a kid, but I haven't seen an episode in two decades. Probably not great?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Vintersorg posted:

If you can make it past the first hour of Lightyear congrats. What a slog.

The only scene of lightyear I saw was the lesbian couple homecoming snippet, a brief shot which was very clearly set up so that even an intern with freeware video editing software could cut it out for international releases. The most cynical "yay representation" I ever seen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Owlbear Camus posted:

The only scene of lightyear I saw was the lesbian couple homecoming snippet, a brief shot which was very clearly set up so that even an intern with freeware video editing software could cut it out for international releases. The most cynical "yay representation" I ever seen.

Second-most, while the kiss at the end of Rise of Skywalker exists. (Same reason why though)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The only thing I remember of the Buzz Lightyear cartoon is the pilot episode (movie?) being a parody of, of all movies, Goldeneye.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I was being obtuse, earlier, but now I gotta see this cartoon.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Second-most, while the kiss at the end of Rise of Skywalker exists. (Same reason why though)

That one was also right before a wipe cut. Bahhhhh

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Not to spoil it…or even really recommend it…, but Battle Scars, the Jedi Survivor tie-in novel, is pretty much a lesbian romance novel appropriate for teens. Well, lesbian teens with an 8th grade reading level. It’s a Star Wars novel.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

*offer not available in Florida

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Hazo posted:

*offer not available in Florida

Neither is an 8th grade reading level, so its fine.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

swickles posted:

Neither is an 8th grade reading level, so its fine.

I think that was a two-fer punchline. Much respect.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Buzz Lightyear movie did do kind of a neat thing where it retains some "Buzz is a toy" subtext by having him stay the same while everyone around him ages and dies, as well as dealing with the possibility of there being more than one Buzz Lightyear running around, and how each Buzz is shaped by their experiences.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I finished watching Rebels. It's sweet how much Hondo likes Ezra.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I’ve been doing a Rebels rewatch in anticipation of Ahsoka and goddamn I forgot how amazing the season 2 finale was. Just a surprisingly dark finish with what happens to our Jedi pals, particularly with Ezra opening the Sith holocron on his own.

And we haven’t even gotten a hint of Thrawn yet! This show gets so loving good y’all :dance:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Ballz posted:

I’ve been doing a Rebels rewatch in anticipation of Ahsoka and goddamn I forgot how amazing the season 2 finale was. Just a surprisingly dark finish with what happens to our Jedi pals, particularly with Ezra opening the Sith holocron on his own.

And we haven’t even gotten a hint of Thrawn yet! This show gets so loving good y’all :dance:

I've been watching Rebels for the first time after finally getting through all of the Clone Wars and Rebels is so good. It took me over a year, maybe two to get through Clone Wars and I only half watched a good percentage of it, but Rebels I am flying through.

Today I watched all of Season 2 of Visions and while there was some interesting episodes, nothing gripped me like some of Season 1 did. I really just want a full season order of The Ninth Jedi and I would be happy with Visions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Finally watched Tales of the Jedi, last night. That was rad as gently caress.