Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Goddamit am I going to loving play SWG now. You sons of bitches…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I’ll never complete the breeding program at this rate.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Don't worry guys, the next big mmo Throne and Liberty coming from NC Soft is coming to save the MMO industry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U75pzBwDscw

oh

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Cutedge posted:

Don't worry guys, the next big mmo Throne and Liberty coming from NC Soft is coming to save the MMO industry

oh

lol

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

"Maple combat is better"

Oof

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How do you get into the Throne and Liberty beta currently?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Cutedge posted:

oh

I was so sad within 5 minutes of watching the first stream. It's just... So bad. I just can't comprehend how things progressed this far without anyone saying anything

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NCSoft is designing the game with an eastern market in mind, and auto-battle gameplay is pretty standard and accepted over there.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's just their marketing looked more..traditional mmos there, and what I see in that video is basically like they never stopped it being an isometic game. Autobattle and the weird stickyness of combat is just the cherry on top of that.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Like most games, the previews are likely the game they wanted to make, and the game we see is the best they could do, through the filter of the managerial decision to damage control a failing project into a passable mobile game.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

People in LotRO are going increasingly insane about Amazon Tolkien MMO

Its getting amusing at this point. Folks need to realize MMO is nothing but a buzzword these days. There will never be another "good new mmo". The last one was GW2 and that was 10 years ago (also Wildstar, RIP).

A "good game" with multiplayer capabilities, maybe.

e: Albion is an MMO which might be good, not sure. Is Albion good?
OK I forgot about ESO too. Still, almost 10 years ago.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 26, 2023

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lol ever considering wildstar good

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Third World Reagan posted:

lol ever considering wildstar good

It was good on release, entirely playable and complete game with unique features

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Wildstar had the best movement and some of the best combat in an MMO and it's insane they managed to squander that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
haha, classic lineage 2 gameplay in 2023

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Phoix posted:

Wildstar had the best movement and some of the best combat in an MMO and it's insane they managed to squander that

If you played Spellslinger, yes. All other classes were OK at best. Also the single worst sound design I've ever seen in an MMO.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

GoGoGadget posted:

Every time I try and get back into SWG I give up because everyone is just AFK farming junk loot for perfect armor patches or whatever.

I had the same depressing experience before realizing that everyone is playing (as in, mostly not AFK aside from the usual cantina bands) on SWGEmu now that the old server got wiped last year and they are in the home stretch towards 1.0.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey you guys remember how there was a Family Guy MMO for like three months lmao

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i do not

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I remember getting into the closed beta for the family guy MMO :smug:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

couldnt you be the greased up naked guy in that?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Rift was an awesome experience until they made it F2P.

I seriously don't understand the F2P model, I've never played one and enjoyed the experience.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Pickles posted:

Its getting amusing at this point. Folks need to realize MMO is nothing but a buzzword these days. There will never be another "good new mmo". The last one was GW2 and that was 10 years ago (also Wildstar, RIP).

You will want to hold out hope for Wayfinder, and then be crushed with disappointment. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1171690/Wayfinder/

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wayfinder is an MMO in the most loosest sense of the word honestly. I mean I guess it technically is one but I don't really consider sectioned off lobby games the same as something like GW or WoW or whatever.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mustang posted:

I seriously don't understand the F2P model, I've never played one and enjoyed the experience.

speaking like there's a single f2p model, when there's super easy ways to make good f2p experiences and super greedy ways to not, and most corps just select the second one because gamers are insanely dumb

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wayfinder is an MMO in the most loosest sense of the word honestly. I mean I guess it technically is one but I don't really consider sectioned off lobby games the same as something like GW or WoW or whatever.

Whoops I didnt realize that was the kinda game it was.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Mustang posted:

I’m with you. Once something goes F2P I instantly see all the seams in every experience trying to suck money out of my wallet. And I’m usually right. It just perverts an experience into combat between the developers and my withered prefrontal cortex

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Whoops I didnt realize that was the kinda game it was.

Yeah it's basically similar to like Warframe but replace the warframes with characters that you can use various weapons and such on. Even unlocking more characters is "pay money or grind hundreds of different rare materials and wait to craft X or Y thing" like Warframe.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

Hey you guys remember how there was a Family Guy MMO for like three months lmao

If I ever knew this I purged it from my brain with horrific trauma

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Rexicon1 posted:

I’m with you. Once something goes F2P I instantly see all the seams in every experience trying to suck money out of my wallet. And I’m usually right. It just perverts an experience into combat between the developers and my withered prefrontal cortex

tbf this is also every non-f2p game too now

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It seems to share some DNA with like, Guild Wars 1, which was basically an MMO

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

NeurosisHead posted:

It seems to share some DNA with like, Guild Wars 1, which was basically an MMO

Yeah you're right, I should have specified I was thinking about GW2 when I said that.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Throne and Liberty looks like an absolute disaster

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The family guy mmo never left beta and it had four classes based on the family members and it was otherwise a wow clone

It was complete poo poo, I played the beta because I was morbidly curious

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Quote is not edit

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That sounds so awful I kinda wish it saw the light of day.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

LuckyCat posted:

I remember getting into the closed beta for the family guy MMO :smug:

Core memory unlocked that I was in some beta test a long time ago that I guess was Heroes of Newerth and that's exactly how forgettable it and every MOBA ever was.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

The family guy mmo never left beta and it had four classes based on the family members and it was otherwise a wow clone

It was complete poo poo, I played the beta because I was morbidly curious

i think the literal only thing i remember about this was an artifacted screenshot of a mafia wars-style level 99 peter griffin standing stock still in all its analog horror glory

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Last King posted:

did anyone make it into this? i signed up and it's live but didn't get in :smith:

combat in this game feels awkward, I have to say

and I dont like the Premade Character With a Set of Abilities in the setting/environment. It feels perfectly fine in Warframe but not here, kinda hard to explain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

gently caress Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes, where is the Family Guy Online private server, to save us all from the drudgery of all other MMOs