Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plains of gorgoroth just covered in SA-2 batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Silmaril-300

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tolkien Orcs are basically a personification off industry so if any fantasy race would have an airforce i'd be them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
9K720 Isildur

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

BonHair posted:

I like that in this scenario we just assume that the Finns are gonna join in from the north.

Those are Ukrainian troops coming from the north from, uh, Odesa.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

It's just a Nordic Special Military Operation, not an invasion, no big deal.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Mr. Belpit posted:

Those are Ukrainian troops coming from the north from, uh, Odesa.

If you go to the edge of the map you get teleported to the other side.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Minenfeld! posted:

If you go to the edge of the map you get teleported to the other side.

running into moldova at full speed at precisely the right angle over and over until the physics glitches out and the UA noclips with full momentum, letting their troops instantly bypass all defensive lines and demolishing the Moscow% record (napoleon, glitchless, 82 days, 1812)

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Tree Goat posted:

running into moldova at full speed at precisely the right angle over and over until the physics glitches out and the UA noclips with full momentum, letting their troops instantly bypass all defensive lines and demolishing the Moscow% record (napoleon, glitchless, 82 days, 1812)

I assume that means anypercent but I don't think "0" should make Napoleon eligible for a spot on the leaderboard

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Achievement: Captured Moscow Without It Bursting Into Flames.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

jeebus bob posted:

I assume that means anypercent but I don't think "0" should make Napoleon eligible for a spot on the leaderboard

he very much did burn down moscow though

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Didn't win the war but inspired an absolute banger of an overture so it's a wash really

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Tree Goat posted:

he very much did burn down moscow though

My bad I remembered it as if he was forced to turn back before making it all the way

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah napoleon actually made it like ten miles further than the wehrmacht

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

i say swears online posted:

yeah napoleon actually made it like ten miles further than the wehrmacht

He had to fight slightly fewer russians

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Napoléon walked into Moscow a few days after Borodino. It was already on fire and abandoned, because Count Rostopchin set it on fire. This is what kicks off everyone in the Grande Armée famously dying in the one map

Everyone knows the map

Big N did actually set foot in the Kremlin, so he was way better off than Franz Halder

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Astonishing how many guys died just walking to Moscow

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Have you tried walking to Moscow from France?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That map is from Minsk (Belarus) to Moscow, with the modern Russian border about one third of the way along the outbound to Russia

Google maps rates it as 150 hours (740km) which is about 38 days with 4 hours marching daily, or 19 days marching 8 hours

Paris to Minsk is a 420 hour walk (2100km)

Edit: gently caress, it's from the river Neman, which I guess at least passes through Belarus. Minsk is further along the path

Kovno/Kaunas is in south/central Lithuania which is 194 hours/960km walk to Moscow

Double edit: Napoleon marched his army 30 miles a day so that would have been a 20 day march + 3 days rest so 23-24 days

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 28, 2023

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Napoléon walked into Moscow a few days after Borodino. It was already on fire and abandoned, because Count Rostopchin set it on fire. This is what kicks off everyone in the Grande Armée famously dying in the one map

Everyone knows the map

Big N did actually set foot in the Kremlin, so he was way better off than Franz Halder

What does the y axis represent?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Y+ Latitude and Y- temp in C °Ré

Edit: fixed, apparently

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 29, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

That map is from Minsk (Belarus) to Moscow, with the modern Russian border about one third of the way along the outbound to Russia

oh god i've seen that mapgraph a million times and always assumed the starting point was paris or something. that's way worse lol

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Hadlock posted:

Latitude and temp in C

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9aumur_scale

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Some very different maps.

A delicate balance between popularity and obscurity.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everyone knows the map

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

on that note, for ohio they show the logo for acme, a regional chain of supermarkets in the nyc/philly area. The company quoted is acme fresh markets, a local chain of supermarkets in the akron metro area

im mostly offended because acme fresh markets it way better. they used to run their own spin offs of departments stores called clicks and drug stores called ymart, each having an appropriate modified version of the logo.

anyway this ends todays entry in akron facts

edit: lol that methodology feeding some tweets through hugging face

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SlothfulCobra posted:

It should say French allies/British enemies, what with Denmark essentially being an involuntary co-belligerent after a British terror attack.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hell to the yeah, Darn Tough slaps

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Wtf is prince sports snd how is it not wawa in Delaware

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Delaware: No Loved Brand

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I don't think I have ever seen a map like this that wasn't complete clickbait bullshit to get a thousand people to go "How the gently caress is BabyStompers shoes my state's favorite brand when it should be State Is Awesome Burger!?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is giving the bombardiers way too much credit.

The bombing of Nagasaki was off by multiple kilometres. It was officially aimed through a break in the clouds, but more likely was done by RADAR, because Bockscar lacked the range to return to Tinian with Little Boy aboard. It would have been ditched in the sea and resulted in awkward conversations with the boss.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you moved it a little bit westward you could get both buckingham palace and parliament.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Interesting map.

Heres the same map again, but after 3 misterious asteroids landed on earth, deleting part of europe.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

im getting weirdly threatening vibes from this

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

Interesting map.

Heres the same map again, but after 3 misterious asteroids landed on earth, deleting part of europe.

ok

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

If you could have three mysterious asteroids delete part of Europe why wouldn't you delete the UK?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Minenfeld! posted:

If you could have three mysterious asteroids delete part of Europe why wouldn't you delete the UK?
1: Not part of Europe
2: The UK is Europe's best chance at unifying, out of sheer spite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

When I was a kid and saw that in history books I didn't know how to pronounce strafe so I was always confused about its relation to Quake.