Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

exquisite tea posted:

Pushed back against their employees working remotely altogether, or just forcing them to come into the office to work?

He didn't go into that much detail. Just that the talent left because of the shift away/lack of remote working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

"Lord of the Ring"

Gotta dig up that apology about the performance of "STAR WAR: Jedi Survivor"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Runa posted:

I literally hadn't heard of the Gollum game until it came out so I don't know if there was much marketing behind it
i saw this a few weeks ago:

thought "ah an elaborate shipost about the state of the aaa industry and pre-order incentives, they even went and pulled up the steam pre-order function that nobody has used in years nice effort"

and then i saw there was an actual steam storepage. otherwise no i didn't hear a word of the game existing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Steam thread: The Lord of Ring

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
They should make an actual open world walking simulator LOTR game. Actually I'm surprised they haven't made a multiplayer survival game or something out of it. Scrounge for potatoes and stealth around ringwraiths or whatever.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

explore what would really happen if the Eagles flew the One Ring to Mount Doom, by having 100 hobbits parachute into Mordor

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Randallteal posted:

They should make an actual open world walking simulator LOTR game. Actually I'm surprised they haven't made a multiplayer survival game or something out of it. Scrounge for potatoes and stealth around ringwraiths or whatever.

Hobbiton Harvest Moon

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I would unironically be there for Dwarf Stranding.

Reconnecting the dwarf holds and the cities of men after the War of the Ring, trying to navigate across a beautiful but occasionally hostile terrain while avoiding where orcs and wraiths still linger.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I don't know if this was posted here but I figure it's worth mentioning - the guy who made Elona is making a commercial sequel in isometric 3D, there currently is a kickstarter with another 5 days to go:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/noacat/elin/description

It's already well more than funded but still will probably be great.

Elona is a mix of a traditional roguelike and an open-world lifesim with anime stylings (the creator is Japanese so somewhat excusable) and also a game I and many other goons spent hundreds of hours on.

I know it's a kickstarter and all that, but I've only ever backed Shadowrun and Times of Numenora so I have a decent track record so far.

e: The game is confirmed to have Steam Deck support, though probably still better to play with a M&KB:

https://twitter.com/elocat/status/1652672372091277316

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 26, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Private Speech posted:

I don't know if this was posted here but I figure it's worth mentioning - the guy who made Elona is making a commercial sequel in isometric 3D, there currently is a kickstarter with another 5 days to go:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/noacat/elin/description

It's already well more than funded but still will probably be great.

Elona is a mix of a traditional roguelike and an open-world lifesim with anime stylings (the creator is Japanese so somewhat excusable) and also a game I and many other goons spent hundreds of hours on.

I know it's a kickstarter and all that, but I've only ever backed Shadowrun and Times of Numenora so I have a decent track record so far.

e: The game is confirmed to have Steam Deck support, though probably still better to play with a M&KB:

https://twitter.com/elocat/status/1652672372091277316

well, then...

e.

Anyway, looks pretty neat.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

disposablewords posted:

Reconnecting the dwarf holds and the cities of men after the War of the Ring, trying to navigate across a beautiful but occasionally hostile terrain while avoiding where orcs and wraiths still linger.

only if it's still sponsored by Monster

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Randallteal posted:

Good news!

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1662138185789456385

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Dadelic have been making some of the consistently worst games for a very long time now

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

disposablewords posted:

Tom Bomber Dillo

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Randallteal posted:

There is a multi-player survival game being made where you retake the mines of moria.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Parallelwoody posted:

There is a multi-player survival game being made where you retake the mines of moria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VdC7SECMeE

Please don't suck

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Return to Moria looks good but there has been absolutely no information for long time and I don't think I've seen any gameplay footage. So who knows, is it gonna be released and even if it is, will it immediately fall into apology letter category.

Orv
May 4, 2011
And yet if I posted the lord of the ring I would be probed

Weedle
May 31, 2006

a middle-earth breath of the wild clone seems like it could be a goer

mystes
May 31, 2006

breath of the gollum, a massive open world game where you eventually get gollum mouthwash

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i saw this a few weeks ago:

thought "ah an elaborate shipost about the state of the aaa industry and pre-order incentives, they even went and pulled up the steam pre-order function that nobody has used in years nice effort"

and then i saw there was an actual steam storepage. otherwise no i didn't hear a word of the game existing

Yeah, wow. I hadn't seen that system in so long that I thought Valve had removed it. But nope, it is still there and Nacon/Bigben decided to make use of it for... Gollum, of all things.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Gladius is pretty fun! Normally the combat-y parts of Civ games I tend to just tolerate, but it feels like this does it really well. After a few dozen turns as the Space Marines, I can see how the Imperial Guard play differently - the Guardsmen are dogshit by themselves, so you have to hang close to your city and be extremely defensive until you can get your factory up and start churning out a critical mass of units to push outwards.

It may've been more a matter of me starting out sandwiched between a herd of native bugs and some techpriest rear end in a top hat with his Iron Giant, but it was pretty dramatic for a while as my first Guardsmen got shredded in a layered retreat while waiting for the scout walkers and more divisions to come out.

Experience seems to be a big deal for the IG - the early units that survived bounced back into some real fuckers at levels 2 and 3.

Fun stuff! I'm going to grab a few of the DLC to diversify the cast a bit. Sorry folks, Orks are boring.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 27, 2023

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Steam Thread:

Orv posted:

And yet if I posted the lord of the ring I would be probed

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

:hmmyes:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I want a Failed Adventures of Ratbag.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nintendo are back on their bullshit

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1662241196897603584

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Not at all surprising tbh.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Give me Hobbiton no Natsuyasumi.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mordja posted:

Not at all surprising tbh.

there's strong precedent for emulators being legal but nintendo are alleging that dolphin includes decryption keys dumped from the wii, rather than making the user provide them, which if true then yeah dolphin probably should have seen this coming

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deYrwTjT5CQ
DQ extra flat earth edition

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kennel posted:

well, then...

e.

Anyway, looks pretty neat.

well glad to hear it's consistent with the original

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

repiv posted:

there's strong precedent for emulators being legal but nintendo are alleging that dolphin includes decryption keys dumped from the wii, rather than making the user provide them, which if true then yeah dolphin probably should have seen this coming
Dolphin contains a copy of the Wii common key which allows it to decrypt disc contents. That blog page also contains the Wii common key (it's the "ebe4..." one), so I expect that will get DMCA'd at some point too.

I assume the DMCA was on the grounds of circumventing access-controls, but of course Dolphin doesn't operate on the console itself, it's just an emulator for already-dumped discs. This puts the argument firmly into DeCSS "illegal number" territory.

A potential solution might be to have the user provide their own keys.bin, but I don't know if there's also an argument that simply providing the mechanism--if not the keys--also runs afoul. I'm also not sure if keys.bin are "really" needed for RVZ-format disc images since those already store data decompressed and generate hashes on the fly, if needed, but Dolphin shouldn't need them, though I don't know if they're currently generated during emulation or not.

Another potential solution would be for the VGHF to push for a real exemption on individual circumvention of access controls for obsolete video game consoles, something which the Librarian of Congress has been unwilling to do before in part due to ESA lobbying, but also in part because it wasn't a "real" problem.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Randallteal posted:

I could see an open world LOTR game where you can Dark Souls style invade other games as Gollum and gently caress with the people playing, it's the only time I could see people wanting to be him.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rad Codex, the developer of some of the best Tactical RPGs on Steam, announced a new game, Kingsvein. They also pushed an update on Horizon's Gate which is also nuts to me since that game is years old now.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

deep dish peat moss posted:

For real it's incredibly easy to set up and play everyone with even a passing interest in CoH should do it
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/installation-guide/

There's a lot of effort that has gone into making it easy as hell to play. There's a custom launcher that does 100% of the downloads/setup for you.

And there are a million QOL changes to the game. You get 1,000 character slots per server. You can enable a 2x exp buff for free at any time. There's an NPC that gives away all the old prestige powers right at the start so you don't need to have an account active for 15 months to get extra low level attacks anymore or whatever. Travel powers at level 4, tons of rebalancing so everything is good and viable. Lots of fast travel options to teleport around the world quickly. End-game content and ways to improve your character past level 50. And active enough that there are always groups forming in chat. The auction house is seeded with items so even though the population is like 10% of live, you can still buy/sell anything.

So much nostalgia packed into one game :allears:

Holy poo poo when did this launch? :stare:

I'd heard in passing years ago that the rights were tied up due to NCSoft just sitting on the IP after CoH was dead. When did they manage to solve all that? I'm really out of the loop, but drat that's amazing! CoH was one of my favorite nostalgic MMOs from back in the day. Looking forward to giving it a try this weekend!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The story is incredibly weird, I am sure I have some details wrong but IIRC when it officially shut down in 2012(?) someone leaked the official server source code to one of their friends who immediately began running an invite-only server that they took great pains to hide from the public (including a bunch of reddit mod astroturfing and public statements of denial) that only invited people who were big names in the official CoH community. That server ran for... seven? years before its existence was finally leaked to the public, and in the ensuing public backlash and dramabomb that server opened itself up to the public and I guess released the server software to others or something.

I think that server is now known as CoH: Rebirth. Homecoming is a more recent server launched in 2019 that has active development of the game going on, such as a new AT, new power sets, new task forces, new story arcs, etc. I don't know anything about its history other than it's allegedly run by a registered 401c nonprofit who has NCSoft's blessing.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 27, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Battle for Middle Earth II has something similar

man that game was loving aces, hard to tell how much is nostalgia at this point

but goddamn the voice acting and presentation was just perfect

e: thought you meant company of heroes, I leave my failure to read cuz bfme2 owns

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Snowrunner's on a decent sale, but all these passes and DLC are kinda a turnoff. Is it just stupid skins and poo poo, or is a lot of the good stuff gated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Sloppy posted:

Snowrunner's on a decent sale, but all these passes and DLC are kinda a turnoff. Is it just stupid skins and poo poo, or is a lot of the good stuff gated?

Play base Snowrunner first, see if the already VERY generous content in it burns you out. If it doesn't, each season pass is gonna be more maps, more parts, more trucks, and just More Game. Purchase as needed.

Treat them all as bigass expansion packs.