Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

AceOfFlames posted:

Congratulations, you are one of the few people on Earth who experienced Bee Movie how it's MEANT to be experienced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Ronwayne posted:

There I was today getting my teeth drilled. The anesthetic is wearing off, and above the dentist chair on the ceiling its playing a movie. Specifically, The Bee Movie.
lmao

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

yesterday i remarked to someone that i think going to the dentist on acid would be the worst experience in the world but now i feel confident that the horrors could be much more compelling and rich with the addition of the bee movie

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Tried to go to work today but ended up not being able to because of the brain sad and anxiety. Will try again tomorrow. Have a call in to my therapists office so hopefully I can tall it out later on today. Thank gently caress my FMLA got approved.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
It's good to be able to recognize your own situation! Kudos on taking appropriate steps to mitigate your poo poo

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Tulip posted:

I mean I'm speaking as a person who has a RAAD score of 20, so please count my opinion less than an autistic person's, but I think its worth thinking about what you'd get out of a formal diagnosis. I specifically am quite worried that political changes in the future of the US (and elsewhere) will need to direct oppression against people with autism diagnoses.

Oofa doofa. I only started experiencing anxiety symptoms in my mid 30s, and I attributed it to some specific life changes, but its possible that my anxiety was being covered by my life-long depression and workaholism.

Ah ya, that'd make sense. That's the story of maybe, 200 million Americans by my conservative guestimate. Often times depression and anxiety are substitutions for one another. Meaning the brain picks the lesser of two evils in accordance with the rest of your system (life system, bio psycho social spiritual). Sometimes, a scenario or event is too painful aka depressing to grapple with, so the brain will give you anxiety instead because at least anxiety has an up -Cortisol- and a down -Dopamine (hellya). This is why in people with PTSD who have anxiety with a thing, when they're able to cry and work through the emotional pain (depression) somehow the anxiety abates, even though the tears had nothing to do with anxiety. Conversely maybe a person doesn't have the "room" or "space" in their life for anxiety, like their job or social role or family role won't allow, so the brain gives them depression. What happens when people are depressed? They slow down, which can be the solution sometimes. I'm not saying anxiety and depression are perfect coping mechanisms, but that is what they are. In the same way our body has natural responses to braking a bone or getting a cold, but they aren't perfect and we have to intervene sometimes cause our natural responses can be lacking. Just a note here, a 3rd coping mechanism that is sometimes the lesser of 3 evils is going crazy. Maybe it hurts too much or is too scary to live on the street, so the brain gives a homeless person insanity to help cope. Same idea of a flat earther, a chud, a climate denier, etc, or anyone with what are called Non-Bizarre Delusions. Facing the enormity of capitalism and the overwhelming despair of our system is a lot harder to cope with than "jews and blacks bad lol".

There's nothing ever complicated about the human brain or human condition, psychology itself is inherently reductionist. It's neoliberal capitalism that seeks to complicate things for capitalism's sake. People need love, safety, containment, shelter (all synonyms really), and food or whatever. There are so many loving diagnoses in the DSM and I barely reference the more obscure ones.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
actually the reason i don't apply myself is because of triple kruger-rothsfeld dia-austism, which traditionally apparates (medical term) during bad bouts of gout for dockworkers. it's very rare, you probably haven't heard of it.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

lol i thought i was having a nervous breakdown but it was just anaemia :toot:

i'm sorry, my therapist. it must be frustrating having a client suddenly slide into what looks like a random depression for weeks but actually they just need a steak

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.
When you find it difficult to clear your mind during meditation or mindfulness, I find it can be effective to flip through a rotation of focus images. It’s not precisely the state you want but when my thoughts get racing beyond my control I have to steer into the skid.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

a strange fowl posted:

i'm sorry, my therapist. it must be frustrating having a client suddenly slide into what looks like a random depression for weeks but actually they just need a steak

I'm sure they just like it when clients get an unexpectedly easy fix!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

a strange fowl posted:

insurance-billable ribeye

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

Prescott posted:

When you find it difficult to clear your mind during meditation or mindfulness, I find it can be effective to flip through a rotation of focus images. It’s not precisely the state you want but when my thoughts get racing beyond my control I have to steer into the skid.

do you have like a process at all for visualizing stuff? people suggest stuff like that to me but i must suck at it or maybe im trying to hard, i try it and then it's like i find myself pulled out of it.

i play music in my head a lot and i guess i can imagine like where on a music staff the notes would be or how i could play it on the piano, but idk even that is just identifying notes. idk is that p much all it is?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

veepfake posted:

do you have like a process at all for visualizing stuff? people suggest stuff like that to me but i must suck at it or maybe im trying to hard, i try it and then it's like i find myself pulled out of it.

i play music in my head a lot and i guess i can imagine like where on a music staff the notes would be or how i could play it on the piano, but idk even that is just identifying notes. idk is that p much all it is?

meditation/mindfulness is an exercise in helping your brain have an easier time telling the difference between what's external stimulus and what's internal, what stimuli can be influenced by you and what can't be

throughout a day most of your brain is running on autopilot from established behaviors and thought patterns, i don't mean stuff like getting ready for work in the morning but like, how you respond mentally and physically to something irritating or worrying, that response is there before it's triggered

for someone who's practiced at meditation it's doing a mental flight check, you are making sure things are in order

for someone beginning to meditate, it's like you're figuring out what you're able to check, and then how to check it, and that process there is when those learned response and subconscious anxiety/pessimism that gets applied to thoughts as they form start to become distinctly separate and visible, which, with practice, lets you catch it happening, make it stop, and prevent it from happening to begin with,

like when people without mental health issues say ignorant poo poo like "well, when i feel nervous/angry/scared/sad, I just say 'welo, gotta keep on keeping on, n don't let it happen '?

that's because their mind can isolate their negative thoughts and recognize their effect on the rest of them without trying, and change how they manage the stressor so it doesn't affect them as much. must be nice!!

practicing meditation allows that for people who don't got that luxury for one reason or another, and makes it easier for people who do

so TLDR: keep doing what you're doing
what you specifically think about really isn't as important as paying attention TO what you are thinking about and noticing how you feel, what's present mentally that doesn't have to be, etc.

that's what 'clearing your mind' entails

it doesn't actually become 'empty', just not cluttered with stuff that don't gotta be there

as long as you're trying to meditate you'll do it and get better at it, pretty much.

fhe more familiar you are with the basic bits of your body and mind, the easier it becomes to get the clarity & control from meditation in other situations - at the very most extreme ends, that's how those monks can do the insane stuff that your body otherwise instinctively will not let you do, but that's too far imo

hth

Prescott
May 16, 2023

Meditation/Mindfulness has been the most useful tool psychology ever offered me. It can be hard as a material atheist not to side-eye all the spiritual and pseudo-religious baggage people bring of it but there’s a lot of scientific, even neurological evidence to its efficacy, which convinced me as a staunchly material early twentysomething. If I catch myself in time it can turn a full-blown panic attack into merely an unbearable acrid anxiety, or an acrid anxiety into merely a cold pit in my chest. And on my good days I use it to make the most of what few they are.

Thank you for the write up, FirstnameLastname.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I honestly thought mindfulness was a stupid bullshit buzzword or something everyone was lying about. it has made a huuuuuuuge difference once I figured out a way it worked for me. instead of an entire day getting away from me I can usually get somewhere quiet, take a lot of deep breaths and actually focus on doing what I need to.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Prescott posted:

Meditation/Mindfulness has been the most useful tool psychology ever offered me. It can be hard as a material atheist not to side-eye all the spiritual and pseudo-religious baggage people bring of it but there’s a lot of scientific, even neurological evidence to its efficacy, which convinced me as a staunchly material early twentysomething. If I catch myself in time it can turn a full-blown panic attack into merely an unbearable acrid anxiety, or an acrid anxiety into merely a cold pit in my chest. And on my good days I use it to make the most of what few they are.

yeah, humans are subject to material forces but we understand the world in terms of stories and narratives, and reconciling this without getting one's brain hijacked by either reactionaryism or one's own misfiring thoughts is the trick.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Prescott posted:

For me, the very model of a material atheist, being an academic in science, I bounced off mindfulness meditation until incorporating some of the Buddhist background oddly. It didn't make sense to me removed from it's fuller context for whatever reason. And whatever, it works, and most of the philosophy doesn't demand you accept things like reincarnation or the pure land of Amitaba Buddha (although I think they have more practical lessons in a non woo direction too, in a Zen tradition).

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone,

I want to start off by extending a huge thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread thus far. Whether you're here to vent, validate, or share ideas and experiences - thank you. The past year + has been brutal on my end. Between new responsibilities and allowing myself to make time for family, its been a whirlwind of emotions; coming back to this thread and seeing everyone's input as an interim lurker has really helped/fueled my ambitions and I'm extremely proud of the work everyone has put in to make this thread an awesome space.

:siren:Trauma Dump:siren:

Around November (21') I was diagnosed with paranasal cancer. I had a pretty decent sized tumor blocking one of the airways that was able to be removed without any issues. Even with the risks being pretty low and beating it was practically guaranteed, it hosed with my head a lot. I've had scrapes, breaks, and bruises in the past but I was genuinely terrified. As my kid was coming out of their toddler phase, I made a commitment to myself where I would try to make more time for them, my family in general, and my personal support group despite my work schedule and commitments outside of my four walls. I think my body was finally telling me, "Slow the gently caress down and be a dad." I am officially cancer free as of last April, and I've officially cut a lot of poo poo out of my diet. Going on 2 years without soda now. I'm not going to blame my obsession with Dr. Pepper for what happened - but lets be real, it probably did have something to do with the one time I had "Dr. Thunder"

Fast forward a year later, I feel like I'm finally in a good space with everything I've been tackling.

I know there are some new posters that have been contributing and I know we haven't interacted/personally met, but know I genuinely appreciate your efforts here.

As a community, we've done an awesome job at validating, supporting, and developing new languages that sometimes requires us to use some unfamiliar muscles. I'm proud of everyone here.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need an ear or figurative shoulder to lean on.

:justpost:

Josherino has issued a correction as of 17:29 on May 27, 2023

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Hey congrats Josherino, glad you got the best version of the worst kind of news. Kind of ableist of you to blame soda, which is basically ambrosia though

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
My cat seems a little off and I'm just barely holding it together as it is so when we go to the vet he'd better be ok.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
is it possible to a have depression so deep that weed does not work anymore? It's been a week since I smoked previously, today i'm more darkly bored than usual so I supposed I could smoke a bit. But nothing....

Not even the bad anxiety or paranoia I sometimes get. Just nothing.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Pajser posted:

is it possible to a have depression so deep that weed does not work anymore? It's been a week since I smoked previously, today i'm more darkly bored than usual so I supposed I could smoke a bit. But nothing....

absolutely lmao

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Tungsten posted:

absolutely lmao

whats so funny?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Pajser posted:

whats so funny?

it was a lmao of recognition. i've been there

exercise can help a lot with it

Tungsten has issued a correction as of 16:54 on May 29, 2023

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Tungsten posted:

it was a lmao of recognition. i've been there

exercise can help a lot with it

i take long walks sometimes and my mind races to much and i always get paranoid some rear end in a top hat is watching me. i have an orbitrek i sometimes use.
ive been eating like a small plate of salad a day, i cant do much more. completely out of appetite.
it shows cuz i am rail thin for first time in my life. Don't much care for it to be honest.

Pajser has issued a correction as of 17:02 on May 29, 2023

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

FirstnameLastname posted:

meditation/mindfulness is an exercise in helping your brain have an easier time telling the difference between what's external stimulus and what's internal, what stimuli can be influenced by you and what can't be

throughout a day most of your brain is running on autopilot from established behaviors and thought patterns, i don't mean stuff like getting ready for work in the morning but like, how you respond mentally and physically to something irritating or worrying, that response is there before it's triggered

for someone who's practiced at meditation it's doing a mental flight check, you are making sure things are in order

for someone beginning to meditate, it's like you're figuring out what you're able to check, and then how to check it, and that process there is when those learned response and subconscious anxiety/pessimism that gets applied to thoughts as they form start to become distinctly separate and visible, which, with practice, lets you catch it happening, make it stop, and prevent it from happening to begin with,

like when people without mental health issues say ignorant poo poo like "well, when i feel nervous/angry/scared/sad, I just say 'welo, gotta keep on keeping on, n don't let it happen '?

that's because their mind can isolate their negative thoughts and recognize their effect on the rest of them without trying, and change how they manage the stressor so it doesn't affect them as much. must be nice!!

practicing meditation allows that for people who don't got that luxury for one reason or another, and makes it easier for people who do

so TLDR: keep doing what you're doing
what you specifically think about really isn't as important as paying attention TO what you are thinking about and noticing how you feel, what's present mentally that doesn't have to be, etc.

that's what 'clearing your mind' entails

it doesn't actually become 'empty', just not cluttered with stuff that don't gotta be there

as long as you're trying to meditate you'll do it and get better at it, pretty much.

fhe more familiar you are with the basic bits of your body and mind, the easier it becomes to get the clarity & control from meditation in other situations - at the very most extreme ends, that's how those monks can do the insane stuff that your body otherwise instinctively will not let you do, but that's too far imo

hth

this mf know what's up

Pajser posted:

Yo it definitely is possible. Boredom is a devil.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pajser posted:

i take long walks sometimes and my mind races to much and i always get paranoid some rear end in a top hat is watching me. i have an orbitrek i sometimes use.
ive been eating like a small plate of salad a day, i cant do much more. completely out of appetite.
it shows cuz i am rail thin for first time in my life. Don't much care for it to be honest.

Yeah, that's a bad sign. Are you under a treatment plan of any sort? Because what you're doing now isn't sustainable.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah, that's a bad sign. Are you under a treatment plan of any sort? Because what you're doing now isn't sustainable.

no, not for years now. I had a bad reaction to welbutrin and my therapist at the time refused to proscribe something else so I cut him off. Didn't see anyone else afterwards.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pajser posted:

no, not for years now. I had a bad reaction to welbutrin and my therapist at the time refused to proscribe something else so I cut him off. Didn't see anyone else afterwards.

Yeah, you need to see somebody pretty bad because this is badly affecting your life and health. Is there a friend or relative you could call to help you out?

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
2nd, extreme loss of appetite is a huge indicator, talk to someone ASAP.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
Kind of hard to do that right now, waiting period is like 6 months for any sort of specialist. Unless you want to deal with scammers.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pajser posted:

Kind of hard to do that right now, waiting period is like 6 months for any sort of specialist. Unless you want to deal with scammers.

You've got to get something started, goon. I know it's scary and hard but you have a disease that's really roughing you up and you need to reach out to your support network.

Again, I know that's scary and hard, but I've been where you are right now and you'll be surprised by how willing people who care about you are to do what they can to help you out.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
Kinda too old for any of that now.

Zeroisanumber posted:

people who care about you

Lmao

Trauts
May 1, 2010

Pajser posted:

I have been there before but it truly is the sort of catch 22 that will just make everything worse. I had a good few months where I couldnt force myself to eat enough. The energy levels from no nutrients was terrible, and made everything worse.

I was able to stave off the worst of it by basically living off smoothies with yogurt fruit and whey protein. The "small salad per day" may seem like a 'healthy' option, but it's not. You simply can't live on that amount of food/nutrition unless you're a literal rabbit.

Try smoothies, or hell even a box of those ensure drinks would be a better idea than a few leaves of lettuce. You'll feel a lot better and will be able to potentially have enough energy to make more positive steps. Also another thing that really helps with appetite is physical movement. Try and go on a walk for as long as you can and then go back home and eat. Movement gets your stomach going.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Pajser posted:

Kinda too old for any of that now.

Lmao

unless you're 104 or something i seriously doubt you're too old to feel better. and yeah, people do care about you. regardless of whether or not you believe it, it's true, and no amount of mental gymnastics is going to erase the fact that if you were gone on purpose that it would affect someone else in your life in a way that they would never get over it. if you're having trouble conceptualizing or believing the real human beings in your life that would be hurt if you were gone, get a fish or something and mediate on the fact that if you died, it would die, too. no man is an island.

not eating is going to make things a lot worse, but obviously if you're not getting any pleasure from eating it's not going to do poo poo and it'll be near impossible to convince yourself to do so. i understand. the second something is even slightly wrong my appetite is the first thing to go, so i go from "eating properly" to "eat anything, period". i set an arbitrary goal for calories for the day that i try and reach over a period of a week, and i try not to beat myself up if i don't reach that goal one day, as long as i get sort of close. you're not getting any pleasure from eating, but you're also not getting any pleasure from not eating, so you may as well try and avoid having lunago and loose teeth and a heart problem to boot. you're not going to win friends with salad get to your caloric needs with lettuce. one of the reasons you feel like poo poo is that your brain is eating itself. don't let it do that. it's a freeloading pile of jello in your skull and you shouldn't let it get the last laugh.

six months will pass regardless of whether or not you're waiting to hear from a specialist. you can either make that appointment and either experiment with some things in the mean time that will make your life more tolerable, or you can entertain a fantasy that you're the only person on earth who is beyond help. you're not. punishing yourself, hurting yourself, all those things may make the suffering seem more tangible, and they may validate your pain, but these things are not helpful. i think sometimes people get this idea that they can't or shouldn't get better not because they think they actually deserve to be in pain, but that by getting better it makes all the painful feelings seem transient and thus the actual real suffering incurred shouldn't have hurt at all. pain can be real and it can also go away at some point. these ideas can coexist even while you're still here.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Trauts posted:

Try smoothies, or hell even a box of those ensure drinks would be a better idea than a few leaves of lettuce.

Seconding this. I'd just keep some meal replacement drinks (like Ensure or Slimfast) and try and drink from them whenever you think to. Pre-made drinks like that will also be easier than preparing smoothies.

(This is also a good way to lose weight if you get the higher-protein drinks)

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I had a period where I rapidly lost weight because I couldn't make myself eat, and smoothies were what kept me going.

One of the hardest parts of depression is the way it makes you feel isolated and question people's motives for interacting with you. People do care, but it's very hard to see it through the depression.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Adenoid Dan posted:

question people's motives for interacting with you.

This has been me for my entire life since the age of eight. Having maintained a sort of schizoid personality has helped me give myself the impression of successfully avoid unwanted attention.

I just have very bad luck and somehow ran into a lot of assholes and some very toxic workplaces.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pajser posted:

Walks aren't enough, you need do cardio.

Seriously, when I do a mile of basically intervals (run till you can't, walk till you can run again, repeat) I feel loving great. Like better than adderall great. Only takes 15 minutes. Despite this, I rarely go and do it, but still, the benefits are undeniable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescott
May 16, 2023

Pajser posted:

i take long walks sometimes and my mind races to much and i always get paranoid some rear end in a top hat is watching me.
Do you have any wilderness available nearby? Suffering from similar (a paranoia so great I worry about people coming to my door), it’s an incredible feeling that nobody is going to bother me when I’m in the forest. Even if you’re unfortunate to not have anything like that accessible from your doorstep I encourage you to take the day trips necessary to immerse yourself in that freedom.