Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lobster shirt posted:

i live in houston so while overall yes it is a coastal lib city i don't think it's exactly like LA or philly or whatever lol

over in the museum district there's this big boulevard and all the trees are painted blue and yellow. wonder how long they're going to keep that up.
there should be no city more happy about the war than loving houston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I was just razzin yah. We joke around here in CSPAM :cheers:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

:cheers:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Cpt_Obvious posted:

we sure do :cheersdoge:

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

comedyblissoption posted:

the people in germany trying to warn about the nazis are having the "anti-nazi" laws deployed against them in an attempt at censorship lol

I've seen posts on Twitter showing UA troops wearing Nazi insignia which were censored in Germany due to local laws against glorification of nazism

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Frosted Flake posted:

liberal NGO group exercise

This poo poo is painful to read. Reminds me why I dropped out of business school.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

learn to code requirement for medicaid

Means tested, access to affordable healthcare for entrepreneurs that learn to code in a disadvantaged community.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1662215493762306049?t=oSFRzSj0zTm1wz8kAs6HLA&s=19

I'm sure this is nothing to worry about

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

there should be no city more happy about the war than loving houston

midland and odessa are probably way happier, the high energy prices are helping the roughnecks out on the oil patch but all the oil companies that did business in russia had to eat huge losses from needing to wind down projects, cancel contracts etc

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Thankfully the entire world would never do something so stupid as go to war over some sabre rattling in the balkans

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Serbia, Azerbaijan, Transnistria, Moldova, Kazakhstan, Georgia have all been slowly simmering in the background.

The periphery all around Russia is slowly heating up, but who knows if any one of them will ever pop.

I'll keep thinking it will all blower over, because it has for the past year. Until it doesn't.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

Serbia, Azerbaijan, Transnistria, Moldova, Kazakhstan, Georgia have all been slowly simmering in the background.

The periphery all around Russia is slowly heating up, but who knows if any one of them will ever pop.

I'll keep thinking it will all blower over, because it has for the past year. Until it doesn't.

Well I mean, there is that book that says Russian minorities (and by extension Serbs) are a traitorous fifth column, which has been the discourse since at least 2008 so...

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

sowing, reaping meme etc

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

this is about them tear gassing buildings to get access? idk what the big deal is, we in the us do that all the time

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Sometimes when something that is otherwise small or insignificant is going to cause me a lot of problems I will call it “some drat fool thing in the ______!”

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Well I mean, there is that book that says Russian minorities (and by extension Serbs) are a traitorous fifth column, which has been the discourse since at least 2008 so...

It's more of a "is there anything to worry about in the next couple of days?" versus "next couple of years?"

Anyway, one of the Russian talking heads I've been listening to thinks the next conflict/war will be in central Asia, as a show of all the "lessons learned" from Russian MoD.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

lobster shirt posted:

i live in houston so while overall yes it is a coastal lib city i don't think it's exactly like LA or philly or whatever lol

over in the museum district there's this big boulevard and all the trees are painted blue and yellow. wonder how long they're going to keep that up.

Which boulevard?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Which boulevard?

montrose right before the roundabout

dk2m
May 6, 2009

the people in germany trying to warn about the nazis are having the "anti-nazi" laws deployed against them in an attempt at censorship lol

lol

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

lobster shirt posted:

Yeah the block next to the museum.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

lobster shirt posted:

Oh yeah, I was wondering why they had painted those trees lol. It didn't click at the time.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Futanari Damacy posted:

Thankfully the entire world would never do something so stupid as go to war over some sabre rattling in the balkans
surely they wouldnt do something as stupid and recklessly aggressive as bomb a chinese embassy just because they can

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

samogonka posted:

I've seen posts on Twitter showing UA troops wearing Nazi insignia which were censored in Germany due to local laws against glorification of nazism

lmao

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Entirety of the trump presidency: it’s always okay to punch nazis!!!

2022-23: well you see they’re actually quite useful so let us not be too hasty to disregard someone’s contributions just for having slightly teensy weensy problematic political leanings because when you look at the current context etc etc etc

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia will fall before the might of America.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Nonsense posted:

Russia will fall before the might of America.

Yet another thing I don’t understand. This is the fallen version!! And they’re still strong!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Roger Waters doing The Wall: that guy might be a nazi!

Azov battalion doing a skit where they execute jewish people: whoah hey now waittaminute that's cultural heritage

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Aside, the more I learn about European history the funnier it gets:

The Origins of Bulgarian Nationalism posted:

"Russian interest in Bulgaria was rather late in coming. The Bulgarians were viewed as non-Slavic Huns or Avars who had adopted some aspects of the Slavic language until as late as the 1820s, when Ruthene (Ukrainian) Iurii Ivanovich Gutsa-Venelin took a particular interest in Bulgarians and published a book making the bold assertion that Bulgarians were in fact Slavs. This claim provoked criticism from leaders in both the Russian and Habsburg Empires but was celebrated in Bulgaria, adding to the awakening of a Bulgarian ethnic consciousness as Slavs. Gutsa-Venelin’s writing, however fantastical, offered the Bulgarians an escape from the notion that they were somehow related to their Turkish oppressors. By claiming that the Bulgarians enjoyed a purely Slavic and even heroic past, Gutsa-Venelin removed the stigma and shame of being related to the Turks and instantly provided the small Bulgarian elite with a more acceptable version of their past."

"The first member of this new generation of travellers (to Bulgaria) was Iurii Gutsa-Venelin. In many ways an outsider in the developing world of Russian academia, Venelin spent much of his professional life on the margins, never achieving in his lifetime the recognition he felt he deserved. Despite this, his journey to the South Slav lands was pioneering, and many would follow in his footsteps. The Ruthene son of a Uniate priest, Venelin’s background was similar to those of the popovichi (sons of Orthodox clergymen). Like Venelin, the popovichi “didn’t look like other educated Russians...[they] had been educated separately in special schools, and were unfashionably dressed.” Although his family wanted him to attend a seminary, Venelin went against their wishes and moved to Moscow in 1825 at the age of 23, ostensibly to study medicine. Both his regional and social origins would have marked Venelin out as an outsider in Moscow, and throughout his career, he never felt completely accepted by mainstream academia. However, he quickly became active in Moscow intellectual circles, where he was drawn to the teachings of Mikhail Pogodin, who introduced him to the emerging field of Slavic studies.
Venelin became interested in Bulgarian history during a brief teaching stint in Kishenev, where he came into contact with resident Bulgarians. Intrigued, he sought to educate himself on the Balkan Slavs, albeit with very limited success."

"In his effort to classify, Venelin argued that the Bulgarians were Slavs and closely related to the Russians, as were the Huns, Avars and Khazars. He even maintained that Attila the Hun had in fact been a Slav, and at times refers to him as a “Russian (Bulgarian) Tsar.” This reflects his life-long belief in the Slav origins of the Bulgarians. This notion ran counter to the received wisdom of the day, as expressed by scholars such as Karamzin in Russia and Šafárik in the Habsburg lands, according to which the Bulgarians were a non-Slav people who had come to adopt the Slav language after their arrival in the Balkan peninsula.Other Central European scholars claimed the Bulgarians were Turkic in their origins, but had adopted their language from their Slav neighbours. Venelin was the first “scholar” to stand apart from such views, arguing that the Bulgarians were Slavs, and furthermore, that their language was essentially a dialect of Russian"

"By creating categories that highlighted the differences (and similarities) among peoples, groups began to relate themselves to and against other peoples. Importantly, the categories Venelin identified were for the most part similar to those studied by future Russian travellers to the region, suggesting that although Venelin’s work was unpopular in Russia in his lifetime, it reflected intellectual trends, mainly borrowed from German thinkers such as Schlözer, which were influential."

"Although many of Venelin’s findings and scientific assertions would ultimately be dismissed by his colleagues both in Russia and in the Habsburg lands, his methods have been credited with helping to provide the base upon which Russian ethnography with regard to the Slavs would be constructed. It appears that many of his assertions were ultimately based on language-related research. Interested in the study of language since childhood, Venelin felt he could prove the Slavic origins of the Bulgarians by comparing place and proper names to other Slavic ones."

"While his “research” was attacked by his contemporaries both in Russia and in Central Europe, Venelin’s first work was greeted with the highest praise in Bulgaria, where some have even argued that he played a catalytic role in awakening Bulgarian national consciousness. As James Clarke pointed out, Venelin’s writing, however fantastical, offered the Bulgarians an escape from the notion that they were somehow related to their Turkish oppressors. By claiming that the Bulgarians enjoyed a purely Slavic and even heroic past, Venelin removed the stigma and shame of being related to the Turks and instantly provided the miniscule Bulgarian elite with a more acceptable version of their national past. It is thus hardly surprising that Venelin has long enjoyed far greater popularity in Bulgaria than in the country he called his home, Russia."

"Due to its early acceptance of Orthodoxy and the Cyrillic alphabet, Venelin argued, Bulgaria represented the “classical country for Slavic historians and philologists” and understanding Bulgaria was crucial in understanding the Slavic, and thus the Russian past. Venelin met with peoples of various nationalities. Like many of the other writers considered here, Venelin identified most closely with the Slavs, and saw them as being oppressed. In Varna, he claimed the population was hungry, and that the Russians were moved to do what they could to help out, by giving away dried bread. Despite their incredible suffering however, Venelin felt that the Bulgarians were “wonderful people” and that their obvious common Slavic traits should be pleasing “to all Slavs, especially Russians"".

During his travels, Venelin made a point of living exclusively with Bulgarians so as to improve his knowledge of their language and culture. He wrote that his knowledge of Bulgarian increased rapidly, although he claimed that Bulgarians were prone to slipping into Turkish and that he often had to force them to speak their “own” language. He also claimed that they had the habit of putting “Russian” words into Bulgarian, which displeased Venelin who claimed “Macedonian” had remained much purer, due to the lack of encounters with foreigners.
This insistence on forcing locals to speak their language “purely” is ironic, yet not uncommon for a Russian of Venelin’s age.

Wherein the "scholar" now claimed by Ukrainian nationalists as a Ukrainian, invented Bulgarian nationalism, by claiming that they were Russian, like him.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

Related to the thread, as I've said, anything touching Ukraine is this way, and I imagine now suggesting Taiwan should reunify with China, ending the Civil War, would be seen negatively and that will only pick up steam.

Taiwan is the absolute most insane example of liberal doublethink. My friends insist to me that Taiwan is its own country and not part of China. They maintain this insistence even when I point out that that is very much *not* the position of the Taiwanese government.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 01:47 on May 27, 2023

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
fun bulgo-fact the Windsors of britian are the same line as the Saxe-Coburg Gotha of Bulgaria

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Misc amusing quotes: posted:

If Venelin’s classifications were not exclusively linguistic, they were equally not based on religion: Venelin, himself Orthodox, dismissed the Orthodox clergy in Bulgaria as worthless, and made little comment on the Muslim spiritual leadership at all.

While travelling in Silistria, he became blood brothers with a man named Aga-Mustafa, who promised to be his brother until death. Venelin felt a bit guilty accepting this blood pact, but only because he already had a blood brother in Moscow.

While Venelin did not seem to have a clear definition of what defined a Bulgarian, he was quite certain who was not.

He never specifically defined the term “Turk.” It appears his definition was linguistic, particularly as he felt it was possible for a person to be a “Muslim Bulgarian.” Still at the same time, he claimed many Bulgarians had forgotten their native language, leaving his definitions of terms like Slav and Turk ambiguous.

In Venelin’s view, the Slavs suffered worse than any other people in the Ottoman Empire, and the Bulgarians suffered most of all: the Moldovans and the Wallachs were “half free,” the Serbs were protected by mountains, as were the Albanians (who were only partially subjected to Ottoman rule) and the Greeks prospered unhindered in business, even enjoying various privileges.

Venelin’s sympathy with the Slavs in general and the Bulgarians in particular can also be seen in his writing about the “Valachs” (Wallachians). His feelings towards them were complicated.

Venelin was incensed that the writer, named as E. Marga, seemed to see this Slavic heritage as a point of great “shame and disgrace” for the Wallachian people. Venelin noted “all Wallachians nowadays were occupied with their Roman origins.”

Venelin saw this tendency as being exacerbated by Wallachians in the Austrian Empire, who had started to print Wallachian language textbooks almost exclusively with Latin letters instead of the “wonderful church ones.”

Venelin interpreted this difference (liturgical language in the Hapsburg lands, see: Galicia) as an affront to his own culture and customs. In this way he was voicing a clear aspect of Russianness: the Russian language and its alphabet were for him a source of identity and pride.

While the Wallachians were linguistic traitors, it was the Greeks who were the recipients of Venelin’s greatest ire and who formed a separate category, despite their shared religion.
His letters are filled with anti-Greek tirades.

From the very first, he decided that all Greeks were untrustworthy, possessing of a devilish character.

Venelin’s anti-Greek sentiments suggest that his criteria for sympathising with locals was not class-based, in which case the more educated Greeks would have been his natural allies, nor was it religion- based, as he became blood brothers with a “Bulgarian-Muslim,” and it was not even language-based, since he kept finding “Turkish speaking Bulgarians.” Yet Venelin was enamoured of the idea of Bulgaria, an entity that he failed to define yet which existed clearly in his mind. Like “Russianness,” “Bulgarianness” was a porous term constantly open to redefinition.

Even though Venelin brought back little from his travels in the way of tangible material, he felt strongly that his trip had been a fruitful one. Making his case to the academy, he cited the numerous French scholars who travelled with Napoleon during his expedition to Egypt.

Venelin was clearly also inspired by Napoleon’s example. In one of his letters, he argues that, like the French in Egypt, the Russians, and Russian academics in particular, must take an active role in drafting Bulgaria’s glorious future. At a time when West Europeans were referring to countries like Greece and Egypt as “antique lands” and looking to them for the origins of their own civilisation, so too, Venelin argued, was Bulgaria for Russia.

Yet regardless of Venelin’s reputation as an ultimately mediocre scholar and a volatile personality...

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
ruzzians are going to false flag the power plant they control as an excuse to launch a special military operation against ukraine

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1662168210215403535
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1662209786941956096
https://twitter.com/apmassaro3/status/1662168458451091471

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Taiwan is the absolute most insane example of liberal doublethink. My friends insist to me that Taiwan is its own country and not part of China. They maintain this insistence even when I point out that that is very much *not* the position of the Taiwanese government.

:same:

It's fun to do the "There is no such thing as a Taiwanese government. You must be thinking of the Republic of China." And that's a fun thing to make them google.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

paul_soccer12 posted:

ruzzians are going to false flag the power plant they control as an excuse to launch a special military operation against ukraine

not again !

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol remember when it turned out they did attack it, that was a short lived story.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

speng31b posted:

not again !

the state department has run out of plot lines to poo poo out to mewling rubes and just gotta recycle them. no one will notice anyways

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

remember that russia did chernobyl to prove they could blow up someone elses nuclear power plant

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

speng31b posted:

not again !

Hopefully it'll go nowhere, like the threat to blow up the dam upstream of Kherson.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

remember that russia did chernobyl to prove they could blow up someone elses nuclear power plant

my favorite was the propaganda coming out early in the conflict about Russian soldiers roving the exclusion zone to collect dirty bomb materials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

paul_soccer12 posted:

ive heard this a million times already