Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

It's just all kind of incomprehensible, having a passing knowledge of the Victorian British Army and Royal Navy. We're talking about 40% of the budget on cruisers on foreign stations, a third of each regiment in foreign garrisons, most military activity was peacetime and only understandable in terms of how far-flung it all was, the logistics, telegraph stations, coaling stations etc. required to support it all.

tbh having a modern army is really expensive in the game, especially when you mobilize for war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

They’ve been killing it. I’m excited for the Robin Hood game. Pendragon and the Saint Patrick game handled the middle ages so well, the art, the gameplay, everything.

I have the Guelphs and Ghibbelines game, but not the time to play through. That series looks good too, and iirc already has Crecy, Agincourt and the War of the Roses planned?

e: paging Tankbuster about India in the Cold War. I just think of the Indo-Pak conflicts, not the bigger picture.

ee: I forgot they have a Weimar game in development, with liberal fecklessness as a mechanic.

yeah lets just say operation brasstacks was basically the indian government trying to do the soviets a solid in afghanistan but realising halfway through that the other side had nukes. Our big shiny soviet style mechanized corps...

Yeah depending on when the game is starting the Indian government would either be pro soviet or neutral.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So what about Brasstacks was supposed to be a favor for the Soviets?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

It's just all kind of incomprehensible, having a passing knowledge of the Victorian British Army and Royal Navy. We're talking about 40% of the budget on cruisers on foreign stations, a third of each regiment in foreign garrisons, most military activity was peacetime and only understandable in terms of how far-flung it all was, the logistics, telegraph stations, coaling stations etc. required to support it all.

Are we talking about Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts or Victoria 3?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

KomradeX posted:

So what about Brasstacks was supposed to be a favor for the Soviets?

it could easily become a proper invasion of pakistan which would relieve pressure from the ISI's mujahid arming fest.

skooma512 posted:

Are we talking about Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts or Victoria 3?

Vicky 3 where a modern army is absolutely a huge drain on state finances.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ShitpostGate/status/1661887609826623495

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I read about this in an Ian Banks novel

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

it could easily become a proper invasion of pakistan which would relieve pressure from the ISI's mujahid arming fest.

Ahh I get it now. Now was it always just going to be the biggest military exercise in history or were they really gonna pull the trigger in 1987 but gotbcold feet? Cause I didnt think Pakistan got nukes till the late 90s

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it is very funny that the rule the waves iii devs apparently never thought to increase starting ranges post 1940

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Stairmaster posted:

it is very funny that the rule the waves iii devs apparently never thought to increase starting ranges post 1940

Oh for fucks sake, that was something people have brought up since aircraft were announced for RTW 2.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

KomradeX posted:

Ahh I get it now. Now was it always just going to be the biggest military exercise in history or were they really gonna pull the trigger in 1987 but gotbcold feet? Cause I didnt think Pakistan got nukes till the late 90s

Well AQ Khan says they did.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i finally succumbed to temptation and bought the nazi dlcs for unity of command, and the nazi campaigns have so much more detail than the allied ones lol

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Well AQ Khan says they did.

But than why wasn't there a test till 98? The wiki article says that a Pakistani diplomat was coy that an invasion would mean Delhi gets nuked. So either they were really good at bluffing or they bought someone's nuke and didn't have a homegrown one till the late 90s? Sorry this is now just all rampant speculation and not even a question.

To change the subject did anyone else see War Hospital? A running a Great War field hospital rts?

https://youtu.be/VVnXbAd8u4U

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

V. Illych L. posted:

i finally succumbed to temptation and bought the nazi dlcs for unity of command, and the nazi campaigns have so much more detail than the allied ones lol

I was afraid that'd be the case..

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Frosted Flake posted:

I was afraid that'd be the case..

there are four eastern front campaigns, two german and two soviet, and the soviet ones have probably half the content to the german ones

the soviet operations are imo generally better individually, but the germans get to do the branching extra-challenging stuff and alternate scenarios where the soviet campaigns are highly linear

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the new don dlc is interesting, though - it's much less brutal than the moscow campaign, but it's still a soviet campaign which means that you have to accept that you're going to lose a fair amount of guys. you're encouraged to take risks and be aggressive, but not reckless like the german campaigns let you be. especially the liquidation of the stalingrad pocket is a bit of a callback to moscow in terms of violence because it's a one-off and neither HQ nor any units are coming with you to future operations and so you can just sacrifice a division to temporarily close a pocket

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

this is how every wargame works

and given the ongoing its only going to get worse

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
At the risk of defending Nazi stuff, "how would you win the war that was historically lost" is usually a more interesting strategic problem than "how would you win the war that was historically won". From that perspective, it makes sense that there are more German campaigns that Allied ones. I've never gotten the vibe that the UoC devs are wehraboos.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
And yet there's not much stuff about parts of the war the Allies lost. Defense of Poland, the Saar offensive, the defense of France + Benelux. What-if defense of Czechoslovakia. Defense of Greece. The Dieppe raid. And there's not all that much about the parts the Allies won but were quite sloggy in a "can you do it better/faster?" type of way either. The Italian campaign, the bocage grind, crossing the Rhine, just for a few.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Or the Allied plans to invade at Pas de Calais, Churchill's desire to invade the Balkans rather than France or Italy, the Allies concentrating their main effort in Italy, the landings in southern France being the major ones, the Allies invading Norway or Denmark, the early American proposals to fight the war in the Pacific first etc. etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Allied General is still the only one that tries to model Operation Jupiter

Meanwhile Strategic Command does have an Operation Unthinkable, but the scenario is laid out in such a way that the odds are against the Soviets just from the sheer crushing force of massed Allied airpower 📽️📽️📽️

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

atelier morgan posted:

this is how every wargame works

and given the ongoing its only going to get worse

Gary Grigsby's War in Ukraine where as Ukraine you have one million extremely detailed mechanics such as controlling how much telegram messages your Azov units send out and how much Starlink bandwidth Mozart Group can use that day.

On the Russian side you only push counters and deal with Putin's Poopy Pamps meter.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

1stGear posted:

At the risk of defending Nazi stuff, "how would you win the war that was historically lost" is usually a more interesting strategic problem than "how would you win the war that was historically won". From that perspective, it makes sense that there are more German campaigns that Allied ones. I've never gotten the vibe that the UoC devs are wehraboos.

people do the same thing w/ byz/rome/reformed paganism in eu/ck & pdox keeps putting in increasingly absurd byzantine restorations into every game.

in hoi4 you can be Greece, take the 'nople, reform byz, and then start fuckin conquering the Mediterranean renaming provinces to Dacia and Phrygia and stuff

can also be Italy and do the same

can also be Moscow and make orthodox patriarchy third rome

can also be Germany, overthrow Hitler w/ von Mackenson, reinstate the kaiser, and reform the holy Roman empire with an also restored Austro-hungarian empire

afaik you can have one of the first romes, the hre, and third rome all at once lol

kinda wanna do a byz game now I've never done it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was reading something by a Byzantine scholar, I can't remember where, bemoaning this, as it's turned all online discussion of a small, and interesting, academic discipline into the worst people on earth playing dilettante.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

I was reading something by a Byzantine scholar, I can't remember where, bemoaning this, as it's turned all online discussion of a small, and interesting, academic discipline into the worst people on earth playing dilettante.

lol i did not know that and its funny

old tiny ultraserious historian forum talking about the eastern roman empire's fall ultraboring grain production and seasonal weather in Anatolia discussion w/ 3 nerds nsisting if they'd used more cataphracts and hired urban to make an even bigger cannon and upgraded the Varangians' shields they could've routed mehmet and then push out to indis es pz - hell yea

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

FirstnameLastname posted:

lol i did not know that and its funny

old tiny ultraserious historian forum talking about the eastern roman empire's fall ultraboring grain production and seasonal weather in Anatolia discussion w/ 3 nerds nsisting if they'd used more cataphracts and hired urban to make an even bigger cannon and upgraded the Varangians' shields they could've routed mehmet and then push out to indis es pz - hell yea

lol pretty much, exactly.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1662073650810441728

wow, hippo tech.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I hope they model how allowing the rich to buy up the land of all your smallholders and enslave them through usury reduces the size of your recruitable population and causes your empire to collapse, requiring your rulers to periodically declare mass restoration of freedom and land.

I'm sure they will do that just as sure as they definitely have the foggiest idea of how battles were even fought back then.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 12:20 on May 27, 2023

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

I hope they model how allowing the rich to buy up the land of all your smallholders and enslave them through usury reduces the size of your recruitable population and causes your empire to collapse, requiring your rulers to periodically declare mass restoration of freedom and land.

I'm sure they will do that just as sure as they definitely have the foggiest idea of how battles were even fought back then.

yeah the lack of knowledge we have about Bronze Age warfare was already pretty conspicuous with battles in Total War Troy mostly just being rebranded Rome Total War gameplay. that's why it worked better in Mythic mode because it wasn't trying to do the verisimilitude thing

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Having mobs of guys only protected by shields trying to protect and screen nobles in chariots who do most of the fighting could be interesting, but I imagine hard to pull off. Shogun 2 had the same problem with the Gempei War DLC.

Not the same period, but there is Tutankhamun's Armies: Battle and Conquest During Ancient Egypt's Late Eighteenth Dynasty

The force that forged an empire.

The furious thunder of thousands of hooves, the clatter and sheen of bronze armor sparkling in the desert sun, the crunch of wooden wheels racing across a rock-strewn battlefield-and leading this terrifying chariot charge, the gallant Pharaoh, the ribbons of his blue war crown streaming behind him as he launches yet another arrow into the panicking mass of his soon-to-be-routed enemies.

While scenes like the one depicted above did occur in ancient Egypt, they represent only one small aspect of the vast, complex, and sophisticated military machine that secured, defended, and expanded the borders of the empire during the late Eighteenth Dynasty.

In Tutankhamun's Armies, you'll discover the harsh reality behind the imperial splendor of the New Kingdom and gain a new appreciation for the formidable Egyptian army-from pharaoh to foot soldier. You'll follow "the heretic king" Akhenaten, his son Tutankhamun, and their three Amana-Period successors as they employ double-edge diplomacy and military might to defeat competing powers, quell internal insurrections, and keep reluctant subject states in line. This vivid and absorbing chronicle will forever change the way you think about the glories and riches of ancient Egypt.

and the broader (part of a great series that includes AD Lee’s War in Late Antiquity)

War in Ancient Egypt: The New Kingdom

This book is an introduction to the war machine of New Kingdom Egypt from c. 1575 bc–1100 bc.

Focuses on the period in which the Egyptians created a professional army and gained control of Syria, creating an “Empire of Asia”.

Written by a respected Egyptologist.

Highlights new technological developments, such as the use of chariots and siege technology.

Considers the socio-political aspects of warfare, particularly the rise to power of a new group of men.

Evaluates the military effectiveness of the Egyptian state, looking at the logistics of warfare during this period.

Incorporates maps and photographs, a chronological table, and a chart of dynasties and pharaohs

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 12:55 on May 27, 2023

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

This is a good book.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have to imagine for the TW games it's hard to balance realism, versimillitude (like what people think battles were like vs reality), and actual fun and balanced gameplay

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i liked the flaming pigs in rome

more flaming pigs please

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

i liked the flaming pigs in rome

more flaming pigs please

Weird way to ask for roast pork, but you do you

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
TW games are always going to have the same flaw, which is that they don't know how to get the AI to fight battles competitively. Any sort of complex historical poo poo you would like to see is not going to make it in game, aside from like a weird button that you can click for a single unit formation that will be neither useful nor historical.

The best TW games are the ones where the battles are simple and a little bit silly so you can accept the AI doing bizarre poo poo better.

The strategy layer of TW games has sucked ever since like Medieval II. They decided to "tighten" up the mechanics instead of basically letting you build whatever you thought was cool, so now you have to do some basic math instead of have fun. They also got rid of the semi-random trait mechanics so now you build generals according to a steam guide instead of just letting them develop into weirdos.

Playing the game by steam guide ends up becoming necessary because CA has no idea how to balance it besides through making the AI come at you in stacks of 4+.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I realized after playing over a decade of TW releases since Medieval II that I don't actually like any of the TW games since. They keep ramming so much poo poo into the games, but the whole point of the TW strategy layer is to set up context to ram army mans into each other.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'd be happy if the AI could just maintain a line and and such.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lobster shirt posted:

i have to imagine for the TW games it's hard to balance realism, versimillitude (like what people think battles were like vs reality), and actual fun and balanced gameplay

If I could just manage to get hired as the military consultant for one of these games and then somehow get put in charge...

e: Characters developing traits based on what they were doing - for example developing vices from being in a major city their whole careers - was an incredible feature, and one I wish they'd stuck with, considering how popular CK is.

I remember in Shogun there were all sorts of ways someone might turn out, reflecting the society that produced them. Send a 16 year old kid to war continuously, and you produce a bloodthirsty psycho. Keep a son in the capital without an army his whole life? You might produce a poet, or a drunk, depending on the buildings and public order.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:51 on May 27, 2023

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I really hated that about Shogun 2. I had been on a big Total War kick, and I really liked how my Generals developed virtues and vices semi-randomly depending on their "life experiences." And then they get rid of that fantastic system for some standard XP skill progression system. gently caress you, Creative Assembly. I want my Generals to have a harridan wife, or a catamite, or to be disrespected for being a "minion" (bottom gay), or be a drunk or a glutton or have an astrologer. I don't want some bullshit XP system. I haven't played a new total war game since, and my decision is continually vindicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

A Russian troll farm posted:

I really hated that about Shogun 2. I had been on a big Total War kick, and I really liked how my Generals developed virtues and vices semi-randomly depending on their "life experiences." And then they get rid of that fantastic system for some standard XP skill progression system. gently caress you, Creative Assembly. I want my Generals to have a harridan wife, or a catamite, or to be disrespected for being a "minion" (bottom gay), or be a drunk or a glutton or have an astrologer. I don't want some bullshit XP system. I haven't played a new total war game since, and my decision is continually vindicated.

shogun 2 was drat fun regardless but it was a bad sign