Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Of course they did..... This is going to be a long election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

"Back at Friday’s Tauranga meeting, another audience member suggested traffic workers should work 24 hours a day, seven days a week."

cars Cars CARS

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
No surprises, Tauranga is after all the most car-brained town in the entire country, yes even over Auckland.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

"Back at Friday’s Tauranga meeting, another audience member suggested traffic workers should work 24 hours a day, seven days a week."

cars Cars CARS

soon: "why are roads 4x more expensive"

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I try not to read too much about it as I get real mad, but they've been wanting to get SH2 fixed, improved whatever for years. Now they're doing it and everyone is bitching about the traffic, I dunno what they expect. Roads to magically build themselves? Just selfish stupid shitsheads. The same people who complain about potholes then moan about traffic when they get fixed.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

I try not to read too much about it as I get real mad, but they've been wanting to get SH2 fixed, improved whatever for years. Now they're doing it and everyone is bitching about the traffic, I dunno what they expect. Roads to magically build themselves? Just selfish stupid shitsheads. The same people who complain about potholes then moan about traffic when they get fixed.

No you see all roadworks should be done between 10pm and 6am, and all the cones/signs removed every morning so boomers can drive at 120kph. Forcing people to drive at 30-50kph actually increases the risk of crashes because it's sooo tiring to drive slower

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Did you read that argument someone made that was earnestly trying to say that? It was a while ago maybe in Southland, some lady tried to say that if speed limits are lower, she'll be too busy looking at her speedo trying not to speed instead of looking at the road.

I wish we treated cars like guns and if you use them in a threatening or dangerous manner in public they get taken away and you can't have another one for a long time.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
It was Judith Collins.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/po...nd-distractions

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Whoa didn't know that. The lady I read about might have been referring to that though, it was at a hearing about proposed speed limit changes somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me if they just cribbed it from Collins, they don't usually have arguments of their own, the people who are against nice things.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The argument that lower speed limits increase driver fatigue is incredibly common in this dumb country, the number of local government submissions opposing reducing 50km/h zones to 30km/h that use the driver fatigue argument is hilarious

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
They did Wanaka to 40, and the first 10 minutes driving around it loving sucked then I forgot about it and got on with life and then I found myself thinking 50 was too fast. People are loving idiots (myself included) and im not so sure people should be able to make decisions on the speed limit unless your the speed limit master.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The dril tweet about drunk driving

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

El Pollo Blanco posted:

The argument that lower speed limits increase driver fatigue is incredibly common in this dumb country, the number of local government submissions opposing reducing 50km/h zones to 30km/h that use the driver fatigue argument is hilarious
It's not just this country, it pops up in (at least) the UK and almost certainly in most countries that are moving towards lower speed limits.

Also lol people will watch their Speedo more. Most people hardly look at it now and end up speeding.

The same people who say roadworkers should work 24/7 also probably complain that roadworkers aren't actively doing something on a worksite when they drive past.
Also, some roadwork you literally cannot do in wet or cold weather (which is why so much gets done over summer)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I remember caring about this stuff before starting cycling

Now I just tell people I'm fit and great, they're fat and lazy, share the road

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Also...

No! My bucket list item to stand in the middle of the road and take a photo.

Spyderizer fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 27, 2023

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Didn't know there was a straight line in all of New Zealand, we put Lancre to shame.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

Didn't know there was a straight line in all of New Zealand, we put Lancre to shame.

The car addled would literally see nothing wrong with blasting an 800km, 12 lane hole through every hill and forest if it meant not having to wait for a passing lane.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Tourists flock the world over to witness the magnificent beauty of our roads.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
That one blooper in Fellowship where a car drove past enriched our tourism industry for decades to come.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
The Wellington to Auckland straight line but it's actually high speed rail

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Spyderizer posted:

The car addled would literally see nothing wrong with blasting an 800km, 12 lane hole through every hill and forest if it meant not having to wait for a passing lane.

Until they see the cost estimate and construction time phasing, choose to disbelieve both, and then act surprised they can't find a contractor who will do it

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Road workers already routinely work illegal hours.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Beartaco posted:

That one blooper in Fellowship where a car drove past enriched our tourism industry for decades to come.

When was that, I've still never noticed it

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's in the "if I take one more step it'll be the furthest from home" scene

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

When was that, I've still never noticed it

I remember the helicopter, but not the car

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i remember a stray twix wrapper

man i haven't had a twix in ages

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the mines of moria act was all filmed in a partially completed city link station

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bike tory posted:

It's in the "if I take one more step it'll be the furthest from home" scene

It's only in the theatrical release, was fixed for the DVD, except it appears in one of the special features.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Meanwhile, what actual 14 lane highways look like

https://twitter.com/g_meslin/status/1003653864330092544

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
did you guys know that james cameron actually goes by "jim"?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Beartaco posted:

did you guys know that james cameron actually goes by "jim"?

hosed if true

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

the mines of moria act was all filmed in a partially completed city link station

The Balrog is wayne-o charging in with budget cuts

That's why the lovely bridge collapsed

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

I remember the helicopter, but not the car

Wait what helicopter

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wait what helicopter

that's the "bird" that took the hobbits to mordor

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Even with the latest poll, National appears to be coasting on it's lack of costed policy, so I've been curious how they plan to campaign this year. Luxon isn't popular and lacks the charisma to turn that around. The economy makes balancing tax cuts with any other promises difficult. Obviously they can (and will) lie, but that has limits.

Looking at this RNZ article, I think I can see an inkling of a plan. In it, they propose to solve the housing crisis by removing regulations and gesticulating wildly at councils. If the media narrative buys into this, they will say it will pay for itself via investors etc.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Looks like they are spending an absolute boat load on advertising, fuckin billboards going up everywhere

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Limits on advertising spending don't start until the 14th July so they're throwing probably literally millions at it until then.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
What's the signage like? Key used to be on almost everything because he was popular, are they trying that with Luxon?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

bike tory posted:

Limits on advertising spending don't start until the 14th July so they're throwing probably literally millions at it until then.

Goddamn thats cynical. I presume all parties do it but that's just hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

klen dool posted:

Goddamn thats cynical. I presume all parties do it but that's just hosed

:capitalism: