Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

they got him so he could get rid of the bugs obviously

Just gotta teach him to stay away from the mice.

Ain't nothing in the rulebook that says a ferret can't work tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
A NOC full of ferrets wouldn't smell different than a regular NOC

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Meeting invite just arrived:
Troubleshoot issues with <Location>. Time: 4:00PM - 6:30PM

Friday is going GREAT.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

Friday is going GREAT.

lmao nope

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CitizenKain posted:

Friday is going GREAT.

DECLINED

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't even decline. Don't respond. You started your weekend early. gently caress em.

Accept it when you're back on Tuesday.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GreenNight posted:

Don't even decline. Don't respond. You started your weekend early. gently caress em.

Accept it when you're back on Tuesday.

Unless you owed them a favor, this is the way.

"Hey, just saw this invite from last Friday. Do you still need help?"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

CitizenKain posted:

Friday is going GREAT.

Great learning opportunity for the ferret

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Sadly is a thing we are already working on with VMware so there is no avoiding it. But at this point we don't need another loving call on it. Its management stumbling in to act like they have an idea and make dumb statements.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hope you get paid OT ...

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Wibla posted:

Hope you get paid OT ...

Yea. Most of us worked Sunday this week too for a thing, so more then a few of us are above 50 hours this week. I could use the money, had some trees cut down so this helps.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

CitizenKain posted:

Yea. Most of us worked Sunday this week too for a thing, so more then a few of us are above 50 hours this week. I could use the money, had some trees cut down so this helps.

I wish I still had a job where I could earn OT if I wanted to.

I definitely miss that about being a bedside nurse. Got a vacation coming up or want a PS5? Start hitting that OT. Of course, that OT is a bit more stressful than my current gig.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

My place is really really bad at estimating increased call volume so when ot is offered it means you'll probably be sitting around playing your switch waiting for calls.

Of course that then makes it so they don't offer OT when actual call volume surges end up happening.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Can someone tell me what the thread title is from? :allears:

I'm getting a couple of bites on some fun money work putting my WiPS experience to good use. Job is working out great but honeymoon should be over any day now. I'm optimistic though. Being a few degrees separated from the old place now the toxic nature of it is even more astounding compared to how things are now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Farking Bastage posted:

Can someone tell me what the thread title is from? :allears:

nominal posted:

so I have an unusual :yotj: YOTJ :yotj: story that you probably won't believe and that's okay because tbh I still can't believe it sometimes either

I suddenly quit my job last November with nothing lined up. As in, I went in to work one morning and then after about 10 minutes just decided that I had to be finished. Not ideal, but my brain was mush at that point and it was that or (continue to) have a (series of) nervous breakdown(s). We were in a good postion and could coast for a long time. We even paid off our mortgage while I was unemployed.

I took some time to get my head together and landed a new gig pretty quickly once I started looking. I love it! I think it's the first team I've worked on where everybody is ridiculously smart and competent as hell and just kind of generally good folks to work with, which kind of makes me wonder if I'M the bad apple here? But so far I haven't gotten any negative feedback and, I don't know, it just kind of feels like things are pretty good, you know?

So fast forward to February and my mom sits me down and tells me that I have a secret 100% blood-related older brother that her and my dad gave up for adoption six years before I was born

I'm thinking, hey, that's pretty cool. I hope he's okay! Wait, is my brother in trouble? Oh poo poo, we have addiction and alcholisim issues in our family, I hope he's not strung out or anything. Is he even alive? Did he have a good life?

turns out I already know the answers to these questions because the reason this is an unusual YOTJ story is that my surprise secret older brother ends up being a sysadmin I worked with at my last job lmao

Except it's not just that we worked for the same company, but we worked in the same department, on the same team. He was on the hiring comittee that brought me on. Dude handled my first-day onboarding. We worked on a bunch of projects together. We'd probably been in easily 400 or so meetings together over about 4.5 years (yes too many meetings, my boss was weird). We'd gone out for lunch and had beers together. He was even in a food shitposting group that I run on FB. And outside of thinking "wow, that guy sure looks like my grandpa. Oh well, I guess gramps just had one of those faces" a few times, I had no idea whatsoever and GOSH I sure do feel stupid because as soon as mom told me who it was I didn't even have to think much about it and was just like "Oh. Yup. drat it, he totally looks like he would be my brother." except that's sort of a lie because I actually got to that realization after several minutes of yelling "ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME?!?!?!" at my mom, not in like an angry or aggressive way but just out of the sheer shock and improbability of it all

It was WAY worse for my brother, though: he found out that we were related way back in April of last year, and wasn't sure if I knew or not, but also wasn't sure if he really had the right to tell me. He said his stomach would drop whenever I'd walk into a meeting because he wasn't sure if I knew, or if I knew that HE knew or... what the hell are you even supposed to do in this situaion? I'm not sure there are really rules for how you handle finding out that a co-worker is your surprise brother that you didn't know you had. He'd tried to contact my mom a few times throughout the year but it's not a very easy phone call to make so it took a while for him to want to try again. For whatever reason he finaly got through to her in late December (the reason is mom's voicemail has been full for like three years now). Mom said once she found out that I was still talking to him after work she'd better let the cat out of the bag. I'm just glad that her and my brother don't have to carry this around anymore because goddamn

He's a good dude, though. Almost frustratingly so lol. We've hung out a couple times since then and have joked how we're both pretty happy that our surprise work brother turned out to be each other instead of... well, there were several people at that job that we would definitely prefer to NOT suddenly find out that we were closely related to

so yeah that's weird, I guess there might be a random pretty cool guy that I used to work with at family reunions now? And now after 48 years I'm suddenly a middle child. And also guess it's another good reason why you shouldn't be a dick to the SCCM admin

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

Friday is going GREAT.

MAILER DAEMON RETURN TO SENDER OOOOOPS

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Good news, managers realized that making a big change at 4:30 on a Friday before a 3 day weekend is really stupid and decided to go with the plan we already figured out. Then they kept talking for 20 more minutes.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CitizenKain posted:

Good news, managers realized that making a big change at 4:30 on a Friday before a 3 day weekend is really stupid and decided to go with the plan we already figured out. Then they kept talking for 20 more minutes.

One of the things that even I a newbie in IT saw at my new job and was like "oh poo poo, these guys are good" is that they have block in the calendar mandating no major changes for the last five days of the month. A full week if it's a holiday weekend or multiple people are on vacation.

Also today I helped the sysadmin fix an issue with our alarm and door system by using the Homer Simpson method and just pulling random jumpers till poo poo worked.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

My last gig had some loving genius in the higher ups decide it was a good idea to start having our user base, boomer farmers, unable to access their accounts over the Christmas/NYE holiday due to forcing everyone to use the MS Authenticator app. That was a fun time to have people complain to us for almost two months straight about why they couldn't access their accounts.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

Then they kept talking for 20 more minutes.

This poo poo drives me INSANE. I don't have to attend many meetings but in the ones I do, the instant the post-meeting chat starts I say I have to help someone with a ticket and I'm loving outta there. My boss' boss (VP of IT who doesn't know how to install programs) is one of these guys

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

johnny park posted:

This poo poo drives me INSANE. I don't have to attend many meetings but in the ones I do, the instant the post-meeting chat starts I say I have to help someone with a ticket and I'm loving outta there. My boss' boss (VP of IT who doesn't know how to install programs) is one of these guys

for me this is the premeeting, mid-meeting, post-meeting and like 20 minutes after that. I don't know why some people just can't stop talking, I have like three friends and I'd rather spend my social energy with them

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Learning to control a conversion is a valuable life skill, especially in IT/Helpdesk.

Who here was using Nutanix? https://www.wsj.com/articles/software-misuse-costs-nutanix-11-million-after-internal-investigation-610f951

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

One of the things that even I a newbie in IT saw at my new job and was like "oh poo poo, these guys are good" is that they have block in the calendar mandating no major changes for the last five days of the month. A full week if it's a holiday weekend or multiple people are on vacation.

We have similar windows. Then VPs lose their poo poo that the change rules which they previously demanded might now impact their ability to overpromise some ludicrous half-baked solution to a client, and so they demand things still get implemented during that freeze. Except we’re federally audited, so now we have to document an emergency change for every little executive want or whim for like 20% of the month, every month.

Sonic Dude fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 29, 2023

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
change windows are cowardice

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

This is exactly why the IT vs Sales Dude "Reboot Three Times" is fundamentally believable.

We taught the rocks to think, and sometimes they're thinking more than we want.

That poo poo is still hilarious, even if it's pretty dated by now

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Iron Rose posted:

change windows are cowardice

Reminds me of the telco where I setup a ci/cd pipeline and where we released at least once a day. One day a manager showed up demanding we’d have a 2 month change freeze for the whole company because his team was launching the marketing campaign for a new product. Granted it was the companies flagship and biggest release for the year.

When told no he asked me how to contact the Change Advisory Board and was fuming when learning there wasn’t one. His team had been using our platform for 2 years already, now idea how he didn’t know any of this.

Some people are just stuck in the 00’s I guess.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
If product managers had their way everyone would both be releasing features requested by customers all day while also simultaneously not making any changes that could affect customers

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Sepist posted:

If product managers had their way everyone would both be releasing features requested by customers all day while also simultaneously not making any changes that could affect customers

Schrodingers Prod

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I keep making the mistake of opening my mouth and saying things. I suggested that my team would perhaps be better fit for another team to report under, and now I will soon have 3 more people reporting to me. I'm up to 11 engineers/1 intern. I have done some rough math, and in 10 years I will be at 1536 people reporting to me.

Also 12 kind of feels unwieldly, I feel like my entire week is going to be one on ones.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
12 is way outside a comfortable span of control. Eight is the upper limit. Knight some TLs

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Sounds like you’ve been promoted to manager.
Hope you got a pay raise out of it.

I have a non IT college student interning for a week next week while I’m in the middle of installing 4 new buildings. Hope they like holding switches up.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 30, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
He’s already a manager, sepist is growing his demesne as they are wont to do and now regrets the administrative burden of his fiefdom

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, I agree that 10+ is too much. Doesn't matter if they're cheaper by the dozen. Get some team leads that are en route to a management role, and get yourself on the senior management path.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, I agree that 10+ is too much. Doesn't matter if they're cheaper by the dozen. Get some team leads that are en route to a management role, and get yourself on the senior management path.

I'm already the Head of Infra, and my boss is the VP of Engineering. My boss did ask if I want a new title to represent the change and I couldn't think of anything that would represent a bump in seniority between where I am and where he is so I stuck with what I have (also titles are dumb). My lead has over a decade of management experience, and is probably why I have retained my sanity as a boss as he loves doing the boss stuff but not being the boss, so he's good with leading their stand up while I handle the new bullshit from above.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Throw a Senior in front, get more money and it'll make your resume look more better. Then promote some scrubs to Leads and only manage those dudes.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My boss has 10 directs right now, down from 13.... , we switched to every other week 1:1, that works for us.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

So glad I left a management role. Now I just need to avoid being laid off

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I've been interim director of my department for the last 6 months. Permanent director starts today and I can't wait to relinquish direct oversight of every member of the team.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my boss is at 14 across two teams counting the intern and he has definitely been struggling with time management

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

i am a moron posted:

12 is way outside a comfortable span of control. Eight is the upper limit. Knight some TLs

i am a moron posted:

He’s already a manager, sepist is growing his demesne as they are wont to do and now regrets the administrative burden of his fiefdom

Then he needs to create some duchies to get back under his vassal limit, not knights