Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
A poo poo world of poo poo people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Volodimir Putin uses the ignore list

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Ukraine wished they could use their ignore button

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

spankmeister posted:

https://twitter.com/tass_agency/status/1662194493519458304

TASS reporting that Ukraine is planning something. Which means that definitely Russia is planning something.

Although in the spirit of high trolling which Ukraine are gods, perhaps they should loudly confirm the report and say, "Well yes. We are planning something."

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Paul, you know what you're doing so knock it off

The rest of you, there's an ignore list for a reason. Use it!

is this a "don't engage with threadshitters at all" policy or "don't cry about them when there's an easy option to ignore them?"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraines going to nuke Russia because uh *checks notes* JEWS ARE THE REAL RACISTS!!!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Sedgr posted:

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.
Big, if true.

By which I mean he's a big piece of poo poo.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Deki posted:

is this a "don't engage with threadshitters at all" policy or "don't cry about them when there's an easy option to ignore them?"

¿Por que no los dos?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wonder seriously how many little nations around those parts are thinking long and hard about whether to get going on making canned sunshine.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Deki posted:

youve been on the internet long enough to remember the slogan "dont feed the trolls" just apply it again

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I wonder seriously how many little nations around those parts are thinking long and hard about whether to get going on making canned sunshine.

There's an interesting nuclear option some countries have taken up called nuclear latency. Do all the research, development and manufacturing necessary to make a nuclear bomb... but stop just short of actually assembling a weapon. Japan, Sweden and Canada are suspected of doing this. All of them officially have no nukes, but Japan in particular has been described as "one screwdrivers turn away" from a nuclear weapon.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

The lesson thus far is that countries don't need nukes to hold off invaders.

Actually using a nuke would be suicidal.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

HonorableTB posted:

youve been on the internet long enough to remember the slogan "dont feed the trolls" just apply it again

Aww, but I just wanted to know how much longer this 3 day invasion was going to take :(

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/DI_Ukraine/status/1662187819240964139?s=20

oh poo poo dont tell willo567

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

zone posted:

You can be sure Winnie the Pooh wanted to and had planned for invading Taiwan around the time of Russia's misadventure in Ukraine, but Pooh Bear didn't anticipate the strong western response to the invasion,

It was my belief that the seizing of Russian foreign assets was a message to China.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

The lesson thus far is that countries don't need nukes to hold off invaders.

Actually using a nuke would be suicidal.

What? No it isn't (the first part at least. I agree actually deploying a nuke would be suicidal yes).

Ukraine would not be facing this bullshit in the first place if they'd had nukes, and on the other side, despite Russia's insane bumbling and incompetence in prosecuting a war of territorial aggression their national sovereignty is not under threat at all because nobody wants to actually cross that line and find out how many Russian nukes actually still work. Ukraine will hopefully take back all they lost and that's where it will stop because nobody wants to find out what happens if St Petersburg or Moscow is actually at risk.

The lesson is that a nuclear armed state is largely insulated from the consequences of its own shitfuckery. Russia is suffering and will suffer soft power losses because of all this, but at the end there's still going to be a Russian state whose borders look pretty similar to '91.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Deki posted:

Aww, but I just wanted to know how much longer this 3 day invasion was going to take :(
I now desperately want the Ukrainian media apparatus to do an insulting parody of the Gilligan's Island intro with the whole Z-failure crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcIFlmm_WbU

:banjo:

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful fight
That started from this tundric waste
Intent to show their might.

The President was a pitiful craven man,
The generals ill-begotten.
Three armies crossed the border that day
For a three day war, a three day war.

The resistance started getting rough,
Many tank turrets were tossed,
The soldiers fled back to the border and
Proclaimed all a feint, proclaimed all a feint.

The invader ground away on the shores of the Bakhmutka
With Putin
Ang Shoigu too,
The caterer and his mercenaries,
The talking heads
The Kadyrovites and Rosgvardia
Here in Putin's war

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

What? No it isn't (the first part at least. I agree actually deploying a nuke would be suicidal yes).

Ukraine would not be facing this bullshit in the first place if they'd had nukes, and on the other side, despite Russia's insane bumbling and incompetence in prosecuting a war of territorial aggression their national sovereignty is not under threat at all because nobody wants to actually cross that line and find out how many Russian nukes actually still work. Ukraine will hopefully take back all they lost and that's where it will stop because nobody wants to find out what happens if St Petersburg or Moscow is actually at risk.

The lesson is that a nuclear armed state is largely insulated from the consequences of its own shitfuckery. Russia is suffering and will suffer soft power losses because of all this, but at the end there's still going to be a Russian state whose borders look pretty similar to '91.

And I thoroughly disagree. Nukes provide no defense whatever and do not protect anyone. Nuclear-armed countries have large military budgets and large conventional armies, which is their actual deterrent.

Everybody knows first-use of nukes is suicidal, therefore nobody will use them and they may as well not exist except for MAD with other nuclear powers.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

Its a shame that nukes are an effective invasion deterrent, but they are and I cant blame countries for exploring that option.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

I now desperately want the Ukrainian media apparatus to do an insulting parody of the Gilligan's Island intro with the whole Z-failure crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcIFlmm_WbU

:banjo:

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful fight
That started from this tundric waste
Intent to show their might.

The President was a pitiful craven man,
The generals ill-begotten.
Three armies crossed the border that day
For a three day war, a three day war.

The resistance started getting rough,
Many tank turrets were tossed,
The soldiers fled back to the border and
Proclaimed all a feint, proclaimed all a feint.

The invader ground away on the shores of the Bakhmutka
With Putin
Ang Shoigu too,
The caterer and his mercenaries,
The talking heads
The Kadyrovites and Rosgvardia
Here in Putin's war

This is epic :blyat:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Pekinduck posted:

Its a shame that nukes are an effective invasion deterrent, but they are and I cant blame countries for exploring that option.

It's true. There's absolutely no denying that Russia would not be pulling this poo poo if Ukraine held on to their nukes.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

paul_soccer12 posted:

what part of gently caress off dont you understand

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

paul_soccer12 posted:

Go away.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Most successful pro-Russian incursions of the Month:

1: Wagner finally taking the last few city blocks in Bakhmut

2: Paul_Soccer12 making some low effort trolling in GBS

3: TBD

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Paul_soccer is now a person of interest. Enjoy your free lifetime of government surveillance!

I was the systems administrator for a manufacturer of parts for nuclear weapons. The security at such a facility is extremely tight. Carrying a phone onto the manufacturing floor is immediate cause for termination and criminal prosecution.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Your brain also has an ignore feature, guys.

I've been thinking about the war lately , I think the offensive may not happen for another year since Ukraine will ideally be building an army during this time, while Russia diminishes theirs.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Pontificating rear end posted:

I've been thinking about the war lately , I think the offensive may not happen for another year since Ukraine will ideally be building an army during this time, while Russia diminishes theirs.

I don't think they would be signaling Any Minute Now then, though, wrongfooting the Russians at the expense of western partners

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Pontificating rear end posted:

I think there's definitely something in the works. It might not be an all out push to sever the land bridge to Crimea but Ukraine will want to regain some initiative after the winter fighting.

It seemed like it was all set to go off a few weeks ago but maybe they had some setbacks - the Russian defenses might've been stronger than first thought or maybe those ICBM disposal sites were actually large ammo stores that were needed for the upcoming attack. Since then there's also been some further developments though, like the arrival of the Storm Shadow missiles, attempts to encircle Bakhmut and the incursion by Russian insurgents, so maybe Ukraine has been holding off to wait for the impact of these to be felt.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Another year, especially for america, is time for another wave of chuds to be elected in the U.S. though, and while we think there's no way to reverse the pro-UKR stances of the u.s. government, I'm pretty sure the people who get angry enough to do stochastic terror over complete nonsense could/would do exactly that. I know a lot of the russian troll farmers are either fertilizing some field in ukraine or otherwise occupied, but not all of them.

(I think k-hive is gone for the most part, at least)

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 27, 2023

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ronwayne posted:

and while we think there's no way to reverse the pro-UKR stances of the u.s. government
it takes just one person to cross out the word "rival" and put in lord knows what to change the path of history.

hopefully Jeb! has his thesaurus that day and settles on "emulous"

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

tango alpha delta posted:

Paul_soccer is now a person of interest. Enjoy your free lifetime of government surveillance!

I was the systems administrator for a manufacturer of parts for nuclear weapons. The security at such a facility is extremely tight. Carrying a phone onto the manufacturing floor is immediate cause for termination and criminal prosecution.

what

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Deteriorata posted:

And I thoroughly disagree. Nukes provide no defense whatever and do not protect anyone. Nuclear-armed countries have large military budgets and large conventional armies, which is their actual deterrent.

Everybody knows first-use of nukes is suicidal, therefore nobody will use them and they may as well not exist except for MAD with other nuclear powers.

how many nuclear states have been invaded?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

sebmojo posted:

The U.K.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

sebmojo posted:

According to Russia, Russia.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Deteriorata posted:

The way they work as a defense is because nobody wants to see if anyone really is willing to push that button, but knows they each have the option to do so If Needed.

That's literally the point of MAD.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Has anyone told ol putin that he isnt feared or respected any more?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Samovar posted:

According to Russia, Russia.

I mean, forces operating out of the Chechen Republic of Ichkeria invaded Dagestan.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Israel, and it's probably the closest any nuclear power has come to testing the theory of nuclear deterrence preserving a state's existence when they threatened the US with taking the Samson Option if America didn't help in the yom kippur war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

zone posted:

You can be sure Winnie the Pooh wanted to and had planned for invading Taiwan around the time of Russia's misadventure in Ukraine,

you definitely can't 'be sure' about that lmao