Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

Revins posted:

oh dude the new D&D movie is great, I wound up seeing it twice. you said you read the monster manuals right?

heck yeah i did. and i remember the 80s cartoon too. that girl the acrobat she was useless wasn't she. and there was eric the whiny rear end in a top hat one who reminds me of adam sandler if i remember right.

i first played dnd in elementary school, i think 5th grade. well sorta. the gifted class got to play, but i scored juuust low enough not to be included. so me and the other dummy kid got sent to the library while they played dnd. he and i read about dinosaurs and learned to play chess instead.

but wait weren't the dnd kids the ones that were supposed to be devil worshippers and grow up to murder hahaha

Chard posted:

birds are good. you should put these apps on your phone to help make looking at birds better:
Merlin
BirdNET

oh wow these look cool thanks

can they help identify jailbirds haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

harveys zoo zoos posted:

oh wow these look cool thanks

can they help identify jailbirds haha

I strongly recommend the Merlin app’s sound ID function. It starts recording, then identifies the birds real time and highlights them as it hears each one. I love just listening to the birds and seeing something new or unexpected pop up, it’s super chill. Just delete your recordings every once in a while so they don’t waste too much space on your phone.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

harveys zoo zoos posted:

but man i don't much care for elon musk. he'd get the cocoon inside for sure ha

Oh man this is cracking me the gently caress up. You are all right, my man

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Yeah welcome OP, I think you're gonna fit in here just fine

Also because I think nobody has really mentioned it I'd stay away from social media until you're a bit more up to speed on things. The same algorithms that help you find cool books to read or music to listen to can also be used to feed you a steady stream of curated half truths and outright lies that makes you angry and depressed and close-minded so you'll stay on a site for longer and click things so someone can make ad money

Never ever get a Facebook

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

adamantium|wang posted:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

harveys zoo zoos posted:

another one was over the color gloves we'd wear for a sign language version of 'silent night'. one side wanted the standard white the other wanted red. red won haha

I've been laughing about this absolute Arrested Development poo poo for the last 30 minutes

EDIT Hey, that's a great show! Arrested Development is a classic comedy, you'll like it. Welcome back, and your thread here is really great reading.

EDIT 2: I just saw your post in the TV IV thread! You're already on the Arrested Development train, great work

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 27, 2023

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

adamantium|wang posted:

Yeah welcome OP, I think you're gonna fit in here just fine

Also because I think nobody has really mentioned it I'd stay away from social media until you're a bit more up to speed on things. The same algorithms that help you find cool books to read or music to listen to can also be used to feed you a steady stream of curated half truths and outright lies that makes you angry and depressed and close-minded so you'll stay on a site for longer and click things so someone can make ad money

yeah i'm going to stay away from social media it doesn't look like much good comes from it overall but i could be wrong

especially facebook. mr beep boop zuckerberg isn't the kind of robot asimov had in mind i don't think. what is the deal with that guy.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

adamantium|wang posted:

This is excellent advice.

Not only does Facebook suck rear end but for many people it is genuinely mind poison.

Twitter is also mind poison (in different ways) but could be fun/interesting if you used it right. It's extremely going down the shitter under Musk's ownership though.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

harveys zoo zoos posted:

yeah i'm going to stay away from social media it doesn't look like much good comes from it overall but i could be wrong

especially facebook. mr beep boop zuckerberg isn't the kind of robot asimov had in mind i don't think. what is the deal with that guy.

Well the military was making something like facebook and then gave up when they saw what a huge disaster to privacy it would be and then mysteriously some kid at harvard started it shortly after that

And Aaron Sorkin wrote a movie I think

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

Private Cumshoe posted:

Well the military was making something like facebook and then gave up when they saw what a huge disaster to privacy it would be and then mysteriously some kid at harvard started it shortly after that

And Aaron Sorkin wrote a movie I think

maybe the real military disaster is the zuckerberg robot and not facebook itself haha

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

oh something else i wanted to ask about something awful is my cousin todd said some famous people were supposedly members i mean goons a long time ago

like a couple of actors or something is that right

by the way i asked cousin todd if he wanted to post again here with me but he looked at me like i was stupid. but i was like you're the one that told me to post there man what the hell

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Jeez, over 200k views on Twitter already. How many active users does SA even have, like 8?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Since the OP asked about wrestling, here’s a taste of modern pro wrestling!

Orange Cassidy vs Will Ospreay at All Elite Wrestling’s Forbidden Door:

https://www.tokyvideo.com/es/video/will-ospreay-vs-orange-cassidy-full-match#ath

If you like that the wrestling subforum is here. Never been a better time to be a fan!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=177

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

harveys zoo zoos posted:

oh something else i wanted to ask about something awful is my cousin todd said some famous people were supposedly members i mean goons a long time ago

by the way i asked cousin todd if he wanted to post again here with me but he looked at me like i was stupid. but i was like you're the one that told me to post there man what the hell

Something Awful is essentially a relic of a previous age of the internet where forums were one of the biggest forms of social media. Obviously we still have a decent amount of people actively using the site but as far as total popularity goes it's a complete shadow of its former self. When you asked on the first page if not many new people join the answer is no just a trickle.

Most of us are still posting here because everywhere else on the internet sucks way more for various reasons. The average user here is between the ages of 25 and 50 with very few outside that range.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 27, 2023

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

harveys zoo zoos posted:

There has long been a rumour that Robin Williams was a goon, but I don't think we ever had proof and now that he's gone I don't think we ever will. They're are a bunch of people who have gone on to be (in)famous despite being goons though, but I can't list many off the top of my head. Moot who founded 4chan was a goon (which gives rise to the actually reasonable argument that Jan 6 happened because hentai was banned from SA), author and podcaster Robert Evans, author and journalist Dave Weigel (who may still post? idk), a bunch of video game nerds, etc.

harveys zoo zoos posted:

I can't judge this man

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I may be in the minority for this, but the prison cake doesn't sound half bad. It does, however, seem like more of a bitch to make than simply making a microwave mug cake or doing a no-bake cheesecake.

This may sound like a stupid question, but how's the temperature regulation in prison? Different regions in the US are either hot as gently caress all the time or cold as hell. Is there good central air? Is the air conditioning always on cold because there are so many bodies in the building? Do y'all get jackets, blankets, or thinner tank tops/shirts if the temperature isn't to your liking?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A typical good project I'm loving dying

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

harveys zoo zoos posted:

Linking famous people to SA accounts they may have had here way back when is kind of hard, so there's a lot of urban legends about who was and wasn't a goon and who still is. A lot of relatively popular YouTube folks used to post here frequently, but because they were more online than regular celebrities, they tended to get doxxed by bad actors or just scared off the forums by some of the absolute loving weirdos who used to and still post here, so the number of famous or famous-ish people has greatly diminished with time hand-in-hand with the site's fall from its heights over the course of the 00s and 10s under Lowtax's lovely stewardship as a site owner.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

A typical good project I'm loving dying

And just like any truly good goon project, this one also has a body count :buddy:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Old school GBS stories vibes going in here

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*in a kind of gruff foreign comedic accent*

ha ha ha but seriously folks, in prison we had pay phones. out here people pay for cell phones! what's the deal with that?!

thank you thank you i'll be here another 20 years

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.

BGrifter posted:

Since the OP asked about wrestling, here’s a taste of modern pro wrestling!

Orange Cassidy vs Will Ospreay at All Elite Wrestling’s Forbidden Door:

https://www.tokyvideo.com/es/video/will-ospreay-vs-orange-cassidy-full-match#ath

If you like that the wrestling subforum is here. Never been a better time to be a fan!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=177

hell yes brother

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure Deadmau5 was a goon until he made a billion cajillion dollars pushing buttons on stage for drunk/high people.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I love that this guy just got out of prison after 30 years and he already has the tech dipshits like musk and Zuckerberg clocked from a mile away.

Draconi Ann
Oct 4, 2006

I am an Angel of the Lord.
(Third?)ing a zoo zoos crew gang tag.

Back on the topic of junk food, I was thinking that the latest trend is coming out with new flavors of previous favorites instead of making whole new snacks. For example, there are so many flavors of Oreos, so many flavors of Lay’s, and so on. And on that note, you’ll probably notice there’s a lot of chips made out of things other than potatoes: chickpeas, cauliflower, beans, and kale to name a few.

Did you see anyone using the internet before you were in the slam? I think I saw the internet for the first time in 1996.

What was a regular day like there?

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

harveys zoo zoos posted:

marky z was a creepy harvard freshman who duped first his fellow students and then the rest of the world into trusting him with personal information, primarily because he wanted to get laid. He deeply idolizes the roman emperor Augustus (see: that haircut) and allegedly finally disappeared up his own rear end three weeks ago.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Did you ever see people get out only to do something to get sent back in a short time later?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

my kinda ape posted:

The average user here is between the ages of 25 and 50 with very few outside that range.

member of that very few checking in (college sophomore)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mutantIke posted:

How does this even happen?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

mutantIke posted:

how

i am baffled that any zoomers find this site. is it all from twitter?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
it came to me in a dream, like in mulholland drive

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Chinatown posted:

Pretty sure Deadmau5 was a goon until he made a billion cajillion dollars pushing buttons on stage for drunk/high people.

Lol lowtax made him a mod for a while

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

harveys zoo zoos posted:

With that Robh Evans tweet (famous former poster who was prominent during the George Floyd protests), I think you already qualify as famous, like it or not.

But, yeah, some famous people used to post here publicly and I am sure some others still do incognito. This is a really great site even though everyone talks about it being dead. The sheer number of experts posting real world knowledge is staggering. We even had someone who was working on the Large Hadron Collider who was gifted as a joke both a plush headcrab and an orange crowbar in reference to a great videogame that you missed out on, Half-Life. Dude live reported to us the discovery of proof of the Higgs Boson. Like, world-altering content.

Here, on these dead, gay forums.

You're right at home, man.

And I still wish I learned to make a decent brick out of ramen, boiled eggs, and beef stew, but I can never get it right.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

mutantIke posted:

Do you have a cousin Todd?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

i don't spend much time in the GBS subforum but welcome, harvey!
somehow you are less cynical and jaded than 90% of the posters on this website and for that I applaud you

in addition to the posts that other folks have made warning about the amount of scams and phishing that pervade all aspects of modern life, you might be hearing a lot about AI lately.
"AI" as used to refer to things like ChatGPT is not actually "artificial intelligence" as it is portrayed in science fiction- i.e. something self-aware and capable of thinking.

do not trust anything that ChatGPT or any other "AI" tells you unless you can independently verify that the information is true. It does not actually have any understanding of whatever information or topic it is talking about, nor does it have any understanding of a concept of "truth". It will very easily give you paragraphs of information that sounds plausible, but contain statements that are completely fabricated or just straight-up wrong.

also do not ever invest in cryptocurrency.

----
also, people have talked about videogames a lot in here, but once you get your hands on some modern games, I'd actually be legitimately curious to hear about your experiences with them.

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 27, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyway OP the only thing you need to know about the last 30 years is that The Simpsons got bad after about the first 10 seasons but it's still going on to this day.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Watch out for Bart Simpson he is a bad influence and says "cowabunga"

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

Anyway OP the only thing you need to know about the last 30 years is that The Simpsons got bad after about the first 10 seasons but it's still going on to this day.

someone at Fox should make The Simpsons end itself or shoot it dead IMO because its super bad now yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

also, if nobody has mentioned it already, I'm going to recommend Wikipedia as a website to have handy; a crowd-sourced encyclopedia with information on almost any topic you can think of.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Wikipedia is usually my first choice to look up basic information on a topic I don't know a lot about. I would recommend it as a good resource for someone in your position who may questions about various details of modern life that would otherwise be 'assumed knowledge'.

Because it can be edited by anyone, it isn't perfect by any means, but the volunteer editors usually do a decent job of protecting it from vandalism and making sure that information has a verifiable source.