Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

edogawa rando posted:

How is the OP an rear end in a top hat?

Has an expensive car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Kit Walker posted:

Has an expensive car

Car people weight in if this is necessarily the case.

I thought you could easily do enough damage on even a cheap ride to cost more than it would to replace the whole car. Like if you wreck the entire side it might cost thousands to get new parts, have them painted to match the rest, and get them installed. Even though you'd never actually do that.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 27, 2023

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Bright Bart posted:

Car people weight in if thisbis necessarily the case.

I thought you could easily do enough damage on even a cheap ride to cost more than it would to replace the whole car. Like if you wreck the entire side it might cost thousands to get new parts, have them painted to match the rest, and get them installed. Even though you'd never actually do that.

Usually if the damage is that much, you'd just write off the car and get a new (or used) one. A friend of mine had a year-old Civic that someone backed into, and the total repair bill came out to something like 9 grand and his insurance wrote it off. Then again, he went through insurance and this guy doesn't want to.

15 grand from a sideswipe sounds like "the frame was damaged" territory to me, which would be something you'd probably want a new car for anyways.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Bright Bart posted:

Car people weight in if thisbis necessarily the case.

Yeah, so the fact that the post mentions doing the repairs implies the car is expensive enough that it was worth doing them versus just calling it a loss and getting a new car. The math might be shaking out differently than normal here though because insurance isn’t in the loop about the damage.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I don't know much about cars and insurance and repairs and stuff, what's the calculation on where it's considered totaled? If it's $15k damage and the car is worth $16k in reasonable condition wouldn't it be worth repairing rather than writing off? That's not a cheap car but it's not automatic rear end in a top hat expensive.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, so the fact that the post mentions doing the repairs implies the car is expensive enough that it was worth doing them versus just calling it a loss and getting a new car. The math might be shaking out differently than normal here though because insurance isn’t in the loop about the damage.

All the post implies is the car is worth more than 15k, which is hardly "expensive car" territory. Like, the Honda Fit starts at 17k.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Deformed Church posted:

I don't know much about cars and insurance and repairs and stuff, what's the calculation on where it's considered totaled? If it's $15k damage and the car is worth $16k in reasonable condition wouldn't it be worth repairing rather than writing off? That's not a cheap car but it's not automatic rear end in a top hat expensive.

If you were going to spend $16k on a car, would you want it to have recently needed $15k worth of repairs?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

AITA for providing my nephews with cabbages to prank all the adults on a family vacation

quote:

So I (35M) went on a vacation with my wife's family down in Florida. I have two sets of BIL's/SIL's who have a combined 7 kids ranging from 8 all the way down to 2. When you include my 2 year old it's quite the gang of nieces and nephews. Including my other BIL and his wife, and another SIL and then grandparents there were 6 sets of adults in the big vacation house we all got together.

After listening to James Acaster's cabbage story, I thought it would be funny to buy all the kids a bunch of cabbages. I proceeded to show them how to hide the full cabbages in Mimi and Poppops bed. "You got cabbaged..." Etc. The next morning the kids woke up and we're excited to hear their grandparents had found the cabbages in bed. Now these were full cabbages that I had washed and dried so no leaves or dirt were left in bed.

Everyone had a good laugh and grandparents weren't put out. This particular sense of humor really hit the sweet spot for the 6 year olds and they have proceeded to hide cabbages on people's chairs (when someone sits down they yell "You got cabbaged!" And about fall over laughing.

I think it's pretty harmless and funny. My one SIL after a couple of days of cabbages being hid on all the beds, chairs etc started throwing them out. So I went ahead and bought some more cabbages to keep the party rolling.

She got mad at me, family is split whether I went over the line with buying more cabbages, what do you think.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kit Walker posted:

AITA for providing my nephews with cabbages to prank all the adults on a family vacation

NTA, god-tier uncle

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
My (26M) girlfriend (25F) ate a Junebug in front of me.

quote:

Exactly as the title says. We’ve been dating for a month or so, and I was out on a date with her at a park on Tuesday, just having a walk. I mentioned how many Junebugs there are at this time of year and how annoying they are. She agreed with me, a little too wholeheartedly. She said that they were flying mistakes and needed to be eradicated from the face of the earth. (Wasn’t going that far, but sure) Anyway, at one point in the night, I ended up catching one, and I thought it’d be funny to throw it at her, so I did. She caught it, looked me dead in the eyes, and tossed it in her mouth like a grape. We continued on with the rest of the date like it didn’t happen. Overall it was a great night, but the more I think about it, the more I’m confused. Was she trying to tell me something? I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do now. Am I supposed to eat one, too? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
This is a romantic comedy plot and I'm here for it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh man I wish my GF was that good at slight-of-hand, if you know what I mean.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

JackSplater posted:

Usually if the damage is that much, you'd just write off the car and get a new (or used) one. A friend of mine had a year-old Civic that someone backed into, and the total repair bill came out to something like 9 grand and his insurance wrote it off. Then again, he went through insurance and this guy doesn't want to.

15 grand from a sideswipe sounds like "the frame was damaged" territory to me, which would be something you'd probably want a new car for anyways.

I'm guessing the side was thoroughly hosed up too. My car got rear-ended last year (on my way to the local mall to get Christmas and birthday presents for my nieces and nephew, unlicenced, uninsured idiot not paying attention to the road slammed into the back of my car at some speed while I was waiting at the lights at an intersection), and the back was in a bit of a state. Driveable, but the boot was hosed but it wasn't written off.

I'd add that all this constant policing of what people are allowed to have must be pretty exhausting. Should I start apologising now for owning a Prius?

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Bright Bart posted:

Not a lawyer but I suspect that it is. I was an excellent student and would not have gone out of my way to cheat but if there were answer sheets being passed around by the whole class yeah I'd have looked.

When I was in high school the other chemistry teacher rage-quit so the one was forced to split his time between two full classes, so they hired a sub. The sub was a complete idiot who spent two weeks teaching us the wrong things and other dumb poo poo. So for the final exam some blessed person in the first period got the test answers and scribbled them down, then passed them from period to period so we all passed. I did the proper thing and threw 3-4 questions to make it look real.

Biology teacher was a coach so we basically had the same exam all year, we just got better grades at it as we memorized the correct answers over time. I assume this approach made it look like he taught us and we improved instead of what actually happened.

American public schools in the South were dogshit 20 years ago, I cannot imagine what they're like now.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

If you were going to spend $16k on a car, would you want it to have recently needed $15k worth of repairs?

They're not trying to sell it though, the question is whether to repair it and keep using it, or spend the same amount (plus scrap value? idk) on a replacement right now. They don't need to convince anyone else of the quality of repair as long as they're confident in the mechanic, and they don't need it to hold value in the longer term.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling a friend of my boyfriend that I feel sorry that hi daughter will be growing up without a mom?

I spent way too long looking for a hidden message after Song and Tiger.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fil5000 posted:

All the post implies is the car is worth more than 15k, which is hardly "expensive car" territory. Like, the Honda Fit starts at 17k.

New, or used? A used car worth spending $15,000 to repair would have sold for a lot more than a Fit when new.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for telling my boyfriend that his dreams of becoming a successful streamer/content creator isn't going to work out the way he thinks?

Pirate Radar posted:

He could stream himself tidying up and cooking and it would probably get him more viewers because it’s niche content. Win-win.
Not sure about cooking, but 2 to 5 viewers is what you can get streaming basically any niche randomizer/speedrun content and showing up in the auto-generated "currently live" channel in said content's Discord. No other promotion or outside effort, no set schedule, only streaming a couple hours at a time, and the shittest zero-effort stream too. Hell, 2 to 5 viewers with only a few dozen followers means he's so super small he likely doesn't even meet Twitch's requirement for them to run ads during your stream, never mind making any actual money.

But good news everyone! There's already an update:

OP posted:

Hello again. As I said earlier, I took the general advice I was given by many of you. I sat my boyfriend down and told him I also wanted a break. We've broken up on mutual agreement. He's going to go his way and I'm going to go mine. He's moving out by the middle of June. Another update on the situation is that he has at least apologized.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

I'd add that all this constant policing of what people are allowed to have must be pretty exhausting. Should I start apologising now for owning a Prius?

Guillotine

Kidding. In all seriousness, though, with a growing disparity of wealth it's hard to muster sympathy for people for whom $15k is a bump in the road instead of a bottomless hole of debt. Even wealthy people deserve sympathy and all that, sure, but as time passes and nothing improves, the working class is just going to get more agitated so don't be too surprised by it. There's a reason many trust fund kids pretend they're dead broke at all times

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Streamer ex-boyfriend should team up with racing grandma to make content. Except they'd need an actual racecar for that to make sense.

e: Speaking of expensive cars there was a Reddit post where people were debating whether a Corvette is just a sports car or a super car. It made me a little sad that people could have that kind of money and still be self-concious they might be poor. It's like those questions 'Is a Tudor a real luxury watch?' Either side you approach it from, the Tudor or Rolex owners, it's sad.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 27, 2023

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Bright Bart posted:

Streamer ex-boyfriend should team up with racing grandma to make content. Except they'd need an actual racecar for that to make sense.

Streamer ex-boyfriend and racing grandma wheel and deal their way into buying a top of the line racecar: the movie

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They can learn from each other because he’s really good at Forza.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

Streamer ex-boyfriend and racing grandma wheel and deal their way into buying a top of the line racecar: the movie

Don't forget Drifting Brother for the B-plot/comic relief.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Kit Walker posted:

toplitzin posted:

They find someone who could potentially bankroll them but he ends up needing the money to fly his bohemian ex-wife's boyfriend over as she refuses to visit her daughter without him and the pre-teen daughter blames her father.

The next guy they try needs to buy a new house and pay for his ex-partner's credit cards after she kicks him out of their shared place because she's seeing his best friend.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 27, 2023

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Funktastic posted:

AITA for dropping out of my cousin’s wedding party after a prank?

As far as April fools pranks go, a fake wedding itinerary sent on the day that says it's a prank at the end is benign as it gets. Seems like the op is exaggerating outrage so she has an excuse not to go.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

JackSplater posted:

I’ve heard adjusters say 75% of the car’s value is a typical totaling threshold. Being generous and saying 50% and 30k, that’s not guillotine territory for me.
I wouldn’t be surprised at all that a side swipe that got both doors and both fenders, maybe one light, would cost 15 in parts and labor to fix, even on a Honda Civic or something equally pedestrian. The shop might charge less for an non-insurance covered repair if you really hounded them to use substandard parts, where they could stand their ground more about following like-kind-or-quality to meet insurance policy.

Deformed Church posted:

They're not trying to sell it though, the question is whether to repair it and keep using it, or spend the same amount (plus scrap value? idk) on a replacement right now. They don't need to convince anyone else of the quality of repair as long as they're confident in the mechanic, and they don't need it to hold value in the longer term.
I still think it’s notable OP didn’t gripe about how much it’d suck to have to drive around a car that was close to being totaled instead of being able to get a replacement, especially if they had a lease.
Even without detected frame damage and decent repair, little things can creep up, like an extra whistle at higher speeds, or paint that’s a little different in texture.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 27, 2023

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Bright Bart posted:

They find someone who could potentially bankroll them but he ends up needing the money to fly his bohemian ex-wife's boyfriend over as she refuses to visit her daughter without him and the pre-teen daughter blames her father.

The next guy they try needs to buy a new house and pay for his ex-partner's credit cards after she kicks him out of their shared place because she's seeing his best friend.

Racing grandma, covered in dust and exhausted, refuses the trophy and accolades from winning the race at the end of the movie, disgusted with the corruption and self-serving actions of the race sponsor, Children’s Bank. She returns to where it all started, a dingy bar in her hometown, and orders a glass of milk. The scene is considered iconic and is shown as a clip during its Academy Award nomination.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
"drat my stupid shithead brother hosed up my car, I can buy a different shitbox of unknown provenance that may or may not have random issues after being abused by the prior owner or I can repair my shitbox, which is a known quantity and I can be confident that once the damage is repaired, the car should be reliable again"

That's the person you're gonna say is an rear end in a top hat?

kimbo305 posted:

I’ve heard adjusters say 75% of the car’s value is a typical totaling threshold. Being generous and saying 50% and 30k, that’s not guillotine territory for me.
I wouldn’t be surprised at all that a side swipe that got both doors and both fenders, maybe one light, would cost 15 in parts and labor to fix, even on a Honda Civic or something equally pedestrian. The shop might charge less for an non-insurance covered repair if you really hounded them to use substandard parts, where they could stand their ground more about following like-kind-or-quality to meet insurance policy.

I still think it’s notable OP didn’t gripe about how much it’d suck to have to drive around a car that was close to being totaled instead of being able to get a replacement, especially if they had a lease.
Even without detected frame damage and decent repair, little things can creep up, like an extra whistle at higher speeds, or paint that’s a little different in texture.

Yep, cars get totaled out at 75 percent of insured coverage. Parts, labour, paint, maybe some wheels got damaged, maybe a tire got damaged (gotta replace all four, so that you're not driving on unevenly worn tires, because that's dangerous).

I have no idea why this thread considers owning a shitbox to be a moral failing and display of excess, that's pretty weird of you all.

edit:

Plus like, there's not actually a relationship between the value of the car and the cost of repairing it? If you blow up the engine of a 3000 dollar honda civic, it's not like the mechanic will say "well this car is only worth three grand so I guess that's the max i can charge you to put a new engine in here". The mechanic will just say "look, your car was worth three grand, it's gonna cost you fifteen to put a new motor in here, you should probably consider just getting something else and selling this for scrap". The OP describes their car as "not amazing", so all you're doing here is condemning them for the sin of a) having a brother who incredibly hosed up their car, b) wanting to keep their car as opposed to having to go through the painful and irritating process of buying a different one, and c) having parents who managed to save money for their children's college expenses.

What about that is guillotine worthy?

Coca Koala fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 27, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

toplitzin posted:

That's how the movie ends. Grandma finally wins a race because he crashes into everyone else in the race on accident.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Kit Walker posted:

Has an expensive car

a 15k repair really does not mean an expensive car.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Incoherence posted:

My (26M) girlfriend (25F) ate a Junebug in front of me.

https://youtu.be/ZCsGXclUhoQ

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

Has an expensive car

"expensive"

A Honda Civic starts in the mid-$20k range now.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fil5000 posted:

ooh look at mr monopoly driving a BRAND NEW fit!

i was making a joke (or rather, failing to) when i said having a 15k repair bill made that person the rear end in a top hat. i regret my actions and hope the thread can move forward.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The comparison wouldn’t be to a new car. This is going to be worse than steak milk.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

A car made entirely out of steak that runs on milk would be pretty expensive to replace

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Fil5000 posted:

A car made entirely out of steak that runs on milk would be pretty expensive to replace

Made entirely out of steak, runs on milk, that's just a calf. Are they big enough to ride by the time they get weaned?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Deformed Church posted:

Made entirely out of steak, runs on milk, that's just a calf. Are they big enough to ride by the time they get weaned?

I dunno man, but I'll tell you something - you sideswipe one of those bad boys and you're down a vehicle but up a whole bunch of meals

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Isn’t a main part of the car story they don’t want to involve insurance? It’s entirely possible that the insurance company would indeed total it and offer $5k replacement.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA Boyfriend wants to flip the mattress because his side has sunken in, I don't want to because my side hasn't sunken in

quote:

My boyfriend weighs more than me (80-90 lbs by his guestimation, but he hasn't weighed himself in forever[his words]) He has a very physically demanding job and has a lot of muscle.

His side of the mattress (a king size) is sagging and he wants to flip the mattress so he can have my side, the side that isn't sagging.

The mattress was a gift from my parents to me for Christmas last year (the mattress is less than a year old)

I don't want to flip it because

a) It's been less than a year since we've had it

b) I don't want to sleep on the sagging side and have my non-sagging side ruined

The mattress is the type where it's supposed to have the top on top throughout the life of the mattress so to flip it we would be moving the end where our feet are to where our heads currently are.

He suggested we post here and see what the general consensus is, and we'll check back in a few hours because we don't want this to be a big thing

how does this even happen

are you sleeping on it wrong somehow

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Seems like the general consensus is 'that sounds like a terrible mattress, check the warranty, invest in a good one'.

Which is, y'know, the boring answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
e: nm

meltie fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 27, 2023