Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Countblanc posted:

I'm going to push back against "just hit the core downfield" advice. Obviously you want to move it toward the opposing goal, but it can often be advantageous to "dribble" it against the wall or obstacles while doing so, rather than just smacking it vaguely in the direction of the enemy goal. The big advantage here is it makes your shots and passes much less predictable while keeping the core in your posession. You can bait abilities or strikes this way and it makes it easier to scope out openings.

Oh absolutely yeah. Dribbling is tricky in this game so I wasn't really thinking of it as a particularly new player advice, but yes just kicking the core "just generally downfield" is basically your last resort for when you don't have any better ideas. It's a lot more acceptable as goalie behavior since as goalie you shouldn't be following the core all that far out of the goal area, but as a forward its basically "merely better than shooting it at your own goal."

And I'm sure that if you have a team/goalie that's ready for it that could even be a great idea! But as it stands in a pick up group your goalie will just be so stunned it'll float into the goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3685678263686372611

quote:

MAPS AND MODES
Ahten City
The map where it all began is now being Awakened into the spotlight as a true competitive staple. With its higher focus on Orbs and (spoiler) synergy with certain Awakenings, we believe it's distinct enough to rise to the occasion.
Now part of the Normal and Ranked map rotation

STRIKERS
Atlas
No matter if the strategy is to score or KO, Atlas has tools at his disposal to thwart the attempt. We're tuning down how often he can use his abilities - and we'll see what he cooks up in his Lab to counter us next.
Cosmic Expanse [SECONDARY]
Cooldown :: 20s → 22s
Celestial Intervention [SPECIAL]
Cooldown :: 40s → 45s

Juno
We like that Juno and her buds provide some KO threat, but they're going a bit overboard now. They're supposed to be squishy and comfy and FRIENDLY!!
Friend Fling [PRIMARY]
PvP Damage and Knockback :: 180 (+90% Power) → 170 (+85% Power)
Core Knockback :: 1340 (+180% Power) → 1320 (+170% Power)

Rune
Rune clearly has a high skill ceiling, but his floor is way down in the shadow realm. We're giving him a slight boost to the baseline effectiveness of Banish so you don't need all of your cooldowns up to make it worth.
Banish [SPECIAL]
PvP Damage and Knockback :: 240 (+120% Power) → 260 (+130% Power)

Zentaro
Zen's gonna pass that test with all the blade studying he's been doing.
Oni's Blade [SPECIAL]
Cooldown :: 40s → 35s

GEAR AND AWAKENING BALANCE
Hitting Gear and Awakenings with some light balance changes as data continues to roll in!

Magnetized Soles
Speed :: 30% → 25%

Vicious Vambrace
Stagger restore :: 25% of damage dealt → 30%

Stacks on Stacks
Speed per Stack :: .175% → .15% (35% Speed at Max Stacks → 30%)

Stagger Swagger
Base Speed :: 4% → 2%

Tempo Swing
Max Stagger Percent for Heal/Damage on hit :: 4% (1.33% for LIGHT hits) → 5% (1.66% for LIGHT hits)

AWAKENING ROTATION
We've got ideas for fun and exciting Awakenings that can really change the game and your focus on the round. We don't want a million awakenings always active, reducing your chance of getting stuff you want or stuff that works well together, so we're going to implement a "rotating" system of awakenings. Some older ones are gone, some newer ones are in. That doesn't mean the older ones will be gone forever, you'll see your beloved Prize Fighter again in the future
❤️. The new Awakenings should be enticing to get in every game, but you shouldn't have to ponder taking them on Ahten City where the Orbs are plentiful.

Rotated In
[NEW] Orb Dancer :: Power Orbs increase Speed by 40% for 6s. After collecting 10 without being KOed, this effect is increased to 80%.
[NEW] Orb Ponderer :: Power Orbs reduce active cooldowns by 20%. After collecting 10 without being KOed, this effect is increased to 40%.
[NEW] Orb Replicator :: 50% of benefits from Power Orbs you collect is also granted to allies.

Rotated Out
Perfect Form
One-Two Punch
Prize Fighter

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Somebody was horny for orbs huh. Glad Ahten is getting into the non-quick rotation, I actually rather like it as a map. Not my favorite but firmly in the middle of the pack, so it'll be nice to have.

(I think my preference for maps is I like Atlas and Dias, I'm happy enough to be playing on Ahten and Night Market, Village is eh, and I'll tolerate Ai.Mi's).

The change to Cosmic Expanse I like, the change to map barriers since beta made that a REALLY frustrating ability to be up against, so it'll be good to have it on a longer cooldown. Stacks on Stacks also needed the nerf, its one of my favorite awakenings but I was in a quick play recently where it was part of the awakenings and good lord it was an annoying match to have everyone capable of moving fast enough to intercept the core from the opposite end of the map.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rotating out 1-2 Punch and Perfect Form is a pretty vicious nerf to Zentaro (and Juliette but less so). The buff to his special CD should alleviate that but only a little.

I'm annoyed that the ingame manual just has so much flat-out-wrong info. Prior to today's patch it listed Rune's special as doing 188 damage, not 240 (now 260).

The new awakenings also aren't in the manual, and it still shows Perfect Form/1-2 Punch/Prize Fighter as possible awakenings.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

That Orb Replicator Awakening is very interesting.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Orb Ponderer is AMAZING as Kai goalie, probably Rasmus and Dubu/Atlas too.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Thanks Tulip and codfish

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wow the difference in players between US afternoon and US evening is stark. In the evening I had tons of great games, but was playing this afternoon and I don't think I had a single pubbie who didn't own-goal. One did it twice in a row the with Vyce's special.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Tulip posted:

Wow the difference in players between US afternoon and US evening is stark. In the evening I had tons of great games, but was playing this afternoon and I don't think I had a single pubbie who didn't own-goal. One did it twice in a row the with Vyce's special.

I played this afternoon and BOTH of my teammates quit after the opponents score the first goal in the first set.

In other news, I have gone insane and am now trying to make Luna forward work. The difference in my effectiveness between enemies who know dodge exists and those who don't is quite noticeable lol.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kooriken posted:

I played this afternoon and BOTH of my teammates quit after the opponents score the first goal in the first set.

In other news, I have gone insane and am now trying to make Luna forward work. The difference in my effectiveness between enemies who know dodge exists and those who don't is quite noticeable lol.

Playing during beta almost feels like it made me worse because I remember to use any part of burst about 1 out of every 5 matches. Even when I take quick strike!!

Anyway, having played more since Vyce and Octavia came out

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They need to add a 4th Size Awakening. I'm not big enough when I stack the 3 that are available now.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

They should add Spark of Big.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone have a clue on how one's Top Strikes are calculated in the leaderboards?

I just find it weird that Asher is not on there, despite me playing as Asher in like 80% of my matches.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Kooriken posted:

With the disclaimer that I'm not the best at the game, I've had a ton of fun doing Luna forward. Especially if you can get hotshot awakening you can get some insane spikes with her rocket ride while playing pass and midfield safety the rest.

But sometimes folks don't dodge and you can just get ten KOs which is also great fun.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

On the subject of slightly unconventional picks, Asher Goalie (with Pauldrons) is the majority of what I play and definitely what I'm most comfortable with, but if extra special is in the starting picks there's a real chance I'll do Ai.Mi goalie (with strike shot) and I have to say I am very bad with Ai.Mi, I never ever hit with her teleport, but good lord is it toxic/funny to have a turret that goes from one goal into the other.

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone have a clue on how one's Top Strikes are calculated in the leaderboards?

I just find it weird that Asher is not on there, despite me playing as Asher in like 80% of my matches.

:iiam:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I do Era goalie pretty often and it's pretty drat good actually.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Era goalie is very good on Demon Dais, not so much the other maps.

If you're looking for unconventional goalies, try out Rasmus (and not just on Ai.Mi's App, either). Being in the goal means the forwards aren't paying as much attention to you, so you can yank them clear across the map. You're also less crowded than you are as a forward, meaning you have more space for your special to hit the power-up threshold.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

God bless Juno for carrying my rear end to 2nd place in a friendly oce tournament. :yayclod:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Era goalie is very good on Demon Dais, not so much the other maps.

hard disagree. it's really difficult to control the whole circular space around those bumpers, and the maps that are split somewhere make it really simple to control half the map with just R

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I love Era, she's my favorite overall striker, but I can't really figure out a reason to use her on goalie. On Night Market and Ai.Mi's App, yeah you can use the storm to mess up a lane, but Asher can do that too, and generally better since it stays on field longer, and the rest of her kit works better for goalie imo. I want Era Goalie to work more, I did it quite a bit in beta, but it feels like she's competing for a niche with both Asher and Ai.Mi who seem to do the same thing better and with less cost.

Though here's me saying that and then just admitting to being a lovely goalie: Oni Market is giving me absolute fits trying to goalkeep. If I'm playing Asher (my #1 goalie by a margin) I feel like trying to defend both barriers is a "chase two rabbits lose them both" situation, better to just totally abandon one, but even then the barriers are so odd shaped its difficult to keep a decent team from really overwhelming you, and then you've just got a completely wide open map and my abilities are too short range to really contribute as much as I can on more restricted maps. My best performances have been doing Strike Shot Juno, because that allows me to just exert a lot of forward pressure and just abstractly pump up team possession. Just forcing up possession seems to be the way better defense than blocking shots, but maybe I'm just dumb or missing something. Is Kai goalie better? Or Ai.Mi with Eject?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Era as goalie can protect her allies against an aggressive enemy forwards, especially X, by debugging them constantly, in a way Asher can't.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

curiousCat posted:

hard disagree. it's really difficult to control the whole circular space around those bumpers, and the maps that are split somewhere make it really simple to control half the map with just R

I don't think you've thought this through fully.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think you've thought this through fully.

I have a 62% winrate with Era goalie in plat/diamond elo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

curiousCat posted:

Then surely you see the benefit of playing Era on a map where you're camping the forward edge of the barrier and able to consistently buff your whole team with +speed and zap the enemy with -speed, rather than sitting at the very back on something like Ai.Mi's App?

The circle barriers on Dais also functionally mean you can wipe off half the map if the puck goes in one of the two lanes. It's no worse, and often better than, playing one of the "lanes" on Lab/App/Market.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Then surely you see the benefit of playing Era on a map where you're camping the forward edge of the barrier and able to consistently buff your whole team with +speed and zap the enemy with -speed, rather than sitting at the very back on something like Ai.Mi's App?

you should already be moving forward enough to give the speed buff to your teammates at opportune moments, rather than sitting at the very back. What Era struggles with is pushing the puck away when someone is right in your face, which happens on the Dais a lot due to the fact that the barriers are so close together.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Micropatch's here: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1869590/view/3704819196330690054?l=english

Nerfs: Era, X, +Size in general, Siphoning Wand
Buffs: Luna, Rasmus, Eject Button (?!)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jack Trades posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

its so over....

curiousCat posted:

I mean, I'd love to hear your mentality and strategy for Era goalie more broadly because I want to Era goalie but I really struggle with making it work.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Shout out to Kiinu, who, when one of my team DC'd in the first point, spend the rest of the match in the corner spamming emotes so it was a 2v2.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Tulip posted:

I mean, I'd love to hear your mentality and strategy for Era goalie more broadly because I want to Era goalie but I really struggle with making it work.

Sure thing! When I'm playing Era goalie there's like. Two modes that you go between. When you have barriers up you can play a lot more loose, and when the goal is open you've gotta really buckle down.

When I'm playing loose I am looking to mostly find opportunities to push out to around midfield. If the core is on the enemy side of the field, your speed buff has enough range to get some allies, and it's really optimal to throw your strike shot projectile around there to really force the puck to stay on the other half. If you see a good angle you can also throw out an ult or a beam -- don't throw out both! You want to keep one to push stuff out in close contests, if they get a good clear. Your goal here should be to put as much pressure on as you can, making sure to just... keep it on their half. Your goal is safest while the puck's over there, and at that point is' basically up to your teammates to get the puck through.

If it's in your zone or the goal gates are down, you're hitting it down or up into the walls almost all the time. Passing through the middle can be great in terms of speed but it's a lot easier for your opponents to hit a weird redirect -- go for safe options. Your beam is an excellent tool to push the puck through an enemy in a clear -- hit it right back at them and time the beam to hit right after the puck will. If they learn the timing, start varying it. Your ult is also good for this -- when it's not at fulll charge it will pass through enemies but NOT the puck, you can use this to your advantage.

You're basically always taking strike shot for your goalie gear -- I like to lean towards either creations/ults and play around making space for my teammates with the big circle, or going for really strong buffs for my teammates. Quick Strike is never a bad take since she's a very honest goalie. Cast to Last is great for both goals -- Monumentalist is a value pick since it makes her ult double size and hit harder, and that's never going to be bad. Chronoboost is the big buff tool, I'm sure there's more really good ones I'm blanking on right now. Maybe I'll come back and edit.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Thank you that's definitely interesting and helpful. Genuinely never occurred to me to take Strike Shot - I tried some Era goalie between when I asked and when I read your post (now), and I went for eject button every time mostly for the CDR (if I'm not prioritizing size, move speed and CDR are generally my two favorite things to go for).

On awakenings yeah Cast To Last has always seemed like "The Era Awakening" to me. Quick Strike is basically always a great goalie option. I've generally liked Stacks on Stacks for Era since you can sometimes max it out on basically one special, and since she lacks a blink or dash its very reliable (and you're much less likely to get KO'd as goalie). Extra Special feels like an obvious pick for a character whose special is way more limited by cooldown than by opportunities to use it, and Orb Ponderer suits both that and being a goalie.

I think it'd be easier to list awakenings I think don't make a lot of sense for era. I'm inclined against missile propulsion - her one projectile has incredible range as-is. Deadeye I find hard to take advantage of most of the time, though I'll take it with Ai.Mi. I can't even get much use out of Stinger when I'm playing Juno, no way am I getting anything out of it as Era. One-Two Punch feels like a tough one to justify. And I think since Era gets a lot of benefit out of things that are tagged BUFF, DEBUFF, and CREATION, all that adds up to not really being a good target for Spark stacking since its just so likely you'll have better awakenings (by contrast my Estelle main friend gets a LOT out of doing Spark Stacking, since other than Rapid Fire & Prime Time, Sparks are kind of hard to beat given how few tags she has).

I guess my priority list would be something like

Cast to Last
Chronoboost
Twin Drive
Stacks on Stacks
Quick Strike
Extra Special
Orb Ponderer
Aerials
Super Surge
Primetime
Rapid Fire
Hotshot
Specialized Training
Monumentalist
Timeless Creations
Glass Cannon
Orb Replicator
Orb Dancer

Definitely feeling more "I guess?" as that list goes on, probably somewhere around Orb Ponderer is where I go "honestly more depends on what my teammates need"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Not a fan, this really should only have been for if a player leaves or is AFK. Three votes means they're allowing full teams to forfeit. This is gonna be spammed whenever someone has a bad play.

https://twitter.com/PlayOmega/status/1663987842899488768

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Looks like a tournament is going on -- college teams I think? https://twitch.tv/odysseyinteractive

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

It's a LAN in texas, I think. Makes sense that college teams would go though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone else pick their character depending on what two passives are available during character selection?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

No, but I should be, especially in quick play where you get a specific loadout. Your build is very important, so starting with a talent that's bad for your character is just denying yourself an advantage.

This would, of course, involve learning how to play more than one character.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone else pick their character depending on what two passives are available during character selection?

blastron posted:

No, but I should be, especially in quick play where you get a specific loadout. Your build is very important, so starting with a talent that's bad for your character is just denying yourself an advantage.

This would, of course, involve learning how to play more than one character.

The two types of OS players.

I'd say I'm even more sensitive than that, I also try to pick around my teammates and the level. And sometimes just pure whim.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Real gamers just don't pick anything and let the game pick randomly for them

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

yea, sometimes (especially when I'm goalie) it also influences my gear pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I did some ranking last night and it feels pretty messed up that I got points for matches where the opposing team all DC'd after the first goal. Mostly a good night but a few games that were kind of poo poo. I went from mid bronze to low silver and one of the matches where we got vaporized the opposing team was spamming diamond emotes.