Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Depending on the circumstances, in particular the hourly and how much they are using them, an OC can be a reasonable decision, particularly for a small org.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Hello, lawgoons, I have a question that is probably Florida-specific.

In the next couple years, I expect a small company to wind down. It has some IP and a significant amount of existing regulatory engagement with the state of Florida. It will also possibly have possibly one (1) employee once that happens.

Surely the chassis can't be worth zero, right?

If y'all have any recommendations for Florida corp/business lawyers to talk to, I'd love to hear it. I don't even know what questions to ask about lawyers to advise us, never mind what questions to ask the lawyer.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Listen, DeSantis, Disney isn't a "small company" and Mickey is not the only employee. It's gonna be harder than that to make them go away.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Hello, lawgoons, I have a question that is probably Florida-specific.

In the next couple years, I expect a small company to wind down. It has some IP and a significant amount of existing regulatory engagement with the state of Florida. It will also possibly have possibly one (1) employee once that happens.

Surely the chassis can't be worth zero, right?

If y'all have any recommendations for Florida corp/business lawyers to talk to, I'd love to hear it. I don't even know what questions to ask about lawyers to advise us, never mind what questions to ask the lawyer.

Is the idea to sell it? You more want a banker than a lawyer when it comes to finding a buyer, though it may be too small to be worth hiring one.

Lawyers aren't really good at selling anything besides legal services and even there we are hit or miss.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/theothermoore/status/1662294819085885441

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

The guy looks like he's been licensed for almost 40 years. He probably thinks ChatGPT is a new law database.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/apark2453/status/1662307305554333696

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Specific question anyone here have exp working in municipal govt in nyc? Just had an interview for a privacy position at the department of health in nyc and everyone there seems nice but I'd love to hear more reports of what it's like to work there actually.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

wins32767 posted:

The guy looks like he's been licensed for almost 40 years. He probably thinks ChatGPT is a new law database.

No, new associate is about to get fired that's all

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hopefully he will get a good reference for future employment

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
My favourite part is the, "the court will begin by elaborating on bogus".

The claims were deemed "far-out" and "totally messed up" by the judge. The lawyer claims the approach used was "totally tubular, brah".

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean, the attorney who signed off on this with zero review should at least get a dressing down from the bench.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
associates basically human ChatGPTs anyway

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The only thing to make this worse is for the senior partner to walk into the show cause hearing and tell a federal judge it's all the fault of the 28 year old associate.

Like blaming your paralegal for a discovery snafu.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sullat posted:

Hopefully he will get a good reference for future employment

Won't take long to draft it up at least

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Toona the Cat posted:

I took the job and if I don’t last six months, I will hand write letters on my letterhead to everyone who took the under, personally telling them they were right. :toxx:

Whitlam posted:

I'm taking the under.

gently caress You.

gently caress You.

BigHead posted:

Since Meatbag is bottoming, I'm topping. I believe in you Toona!

You're cool.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I’ll bottom as well.

gently caress you, I'm out.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Hi Law Thread.

I'm doing my law school internship with Innocence Project Delaware for the summer as a fundraiser. I'm sure you'll all familiar with the great work the Innocence Project nationally does, but the local branch is quite new and underfunded. And that's unfortunate because Delaware locks up more people than any democracy on earth (besides America as a whole), and disproportionately incarcerates Black people who are 61% of the incarcerated population and 20% of the general population. Therefore, the backlog of work to be done in Delaware is immense, and cases going back to 1979 are being examined.

They have me raising $15,000 by the end of the summer, so I am coming to ask if any of you know of any attorneys who are passionate about criminal justice, and would be will to help out. You can learn more from this article, donate here, or read this thread about the fundraising efforts on this website.

Thanks for any help you an give.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
sorry blarzgh said everyone in jail deserves to be there

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

EwokEntourage posted:

sorry blarzgh said everyone in jail deserves to be there

Oh okay, oh well. Going to disband the Innocence Project now. Bye.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
thanks

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Nichael posted:

Hi Law Thread.

I'm doing my law school internship with Innocence Project Delaware for the summer as a fundraiser. I'm sure you'll all familiar with the great work the Innocence Project nationally does, but the local branch is quite new and underfunded. And that's unfortunate because Delaware locks up more people than any democracy on earth (besides America as a whole), and disproportionately incarcerates Black people who are 61% of the incarcerated population and 20% of the general population. Therefore, the backlog of work to be done in Delaware is immense, and cases going back to 1979 are being examined.

They have me raising $15,000 by the end of the summer, so I am coming to ask if any of you know of any attorneys who are passionate about criminal justice, and would be will to help out. You can learn more from this article, donate here, or read this thread about the fundraising efforts on this website.

Thanks for any help you an give.

Your summer internship in law school is to raise money for a legal non-profit?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

Your summer internship in law school is to raise money for a legal non-profit?

I'm an organizer first and foremost, that's my skillset. I don't intend to practice law traditionally as I mostly just want the degree to continue to help leftist causes through means I've used in the past. This is the perfect intersection of law and organizing for me.

So the short answer is yes.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Nichael posted:

I'm an organizer first and foremost, that's my skillset. I don't intend to practice law traditionally as I mostly just want the degree to continue to help leftist causes through means I've used in the past. This is the perfect intersection of law and organizing for me.

So the short answer is yes.

Why did you go to law school instead of just organizing/raising money for various non-profits. Non-profit development is an available career path that doesn't require student loans.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

Why did you go to law school instead of just organizing/raising money for various non-profits. Non-profit development is an available career path that doesn't require student loans.

1. Delaware Law School was cheaper than my college degree by a substantial amount due to my grades and past history. It's not "cheap", but it's worth the cost at the very least. It's also pretty easy and low stress for me.
2. I don't necessarily want to work in the non-profit sphere. I just want to use the degree as much as I can to do work on the left, as I've done before. How that future will exactly shape out is of course not clear, but I know from experience that jobs exist that would utilize my degree and past experience.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Well - have fun and good luck!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

Well - have fun and good luck!

:hai:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What bar exam are you going to take .

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

euphronius posted:

What bar exam are you going to take .

I don't know. I don't want to live here long term, it's kind of killing me. If I don't do DE, probably the multi-state one as that includes NY and PA.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DE maybe still be incredible hard to pass

Pa is easy (I passed )

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

euphronius posted:

DE maybe still be incredible hard to pass

Pa is easy (I passed )

That's weighing on me too. I don't want to go through that effort for a place that I truly shouldn't be in.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Nichael posted:

That's weighing on me too. I don't want to go through that effort for a place that I truly shouldn't be in.

Unless things have changed since I took the bar, because Delaware doesn't waive other jurisdictions in, you don't get waived in anywhere else. You'll probably need to take the bar twice anyway.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

Unless things have changed since I took the bar, because Delaware doesn't waive other jurisdictions in, you don't get waived in anywhere else. You'll probably need to take the bar twice anyway.

Delaware is among the most restrictive bars and doesn't waive, nor has it ever.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Just become DE local counsel for various securities/corporate cases that come through the Court of Chancery.

Seek your rent.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

Just become DE local counsel for various securities/corporate cases that come through the Court of Chancery.

Seek your rent.

No.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sab0921 posted:

Seek your rent.

or bankruptcy local counsel

being my bankruptcy local counsel is probably as ethical as you can get

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Ok but you can do a lot for leftist causes with the local counsel stack.

Maybe. I dunno. I'm not a litigator, how much do yall pay local counsel for DE Corporate cases?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

Ok but you can do a lot for leftist causes with the local counsel stack.

Maybe. I dunno. I'm not a litigator, how much do yall pay local counsel for DE Corporate cases?

I don't think you're wrong, I just think that kind of work will break my brain (further). If I practice traditionally, it'll probably be criminal defense, immigrant, or tenants rights.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Nichael posted:

I don't think you're wrong, I just think that kind of work will break my brain (further). If I practice traditionally, it'll probably be criminal defense, immigrant, or tenants rights.

Im still think DE chancery local counsel works here. Tenant work can be found in abundance helping an Amazon subsidiary declare bankruptcy to break a lease for a 1 million sq ft warehouse. Work will only increase with the impending collapse of commercial real estate

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Do not corrupt my innocent child Nichael he doesn't want to earn corporate work money and for that I salute him. Godspeed and minimize your debts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know if non profits are incorporated in DE. Maybe they are .

I would be local counsel as mentioned and then do pro bono work on the side