Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If you ever get bored of playing VS alone, Aura Fury is a good community server. There’s at least one goon playing there. They have building codes in their shared “town square” last I played, but outside of that people are usually out in bumduck nowhere building their own homesteads and doing their own thing. Server settings are tweaked a bit to offset food spoilage since time is always passing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You..... you throw away dirt blocks???

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
If you're in the copper age, do yourself a favor and make some wooden crates. They can hold up to 999 of a single item type. You'll be glad to have all those dirt blocks and random bits of stone when you want to make some roads. It's a good winter activity.

There's a lot of crap I wouldn't mind yeeting, but dirt ain't it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

All those random ferns and poo poo I get from clearing grass for planting and building area: into the hole with you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

HelloSailorSign posted:

You..... you throw away dirt blocks???

At first you’re like “what the gently caress am I gonna do with all these diet blocks!?” And you just dump them in a hole or something.

Then event you decide that land over there needs to be FLAT so you can build or you want a lovely hilltop cabin or whatever and suddenly “holy crap I need ALL the dirt blocks ever” and you weep for what you once discarded.

Make some crates for dirt blocks is what I’m saying.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

You always need clean fill. Haven’t you all been to (rural) america where every few houses there’s a hand painted “clean fill wanted” sign?!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Throwing my hat into the "save your dirt" ring. My settlement is in a vast expanse of granite-only geology, and critical economic materials that can't be found in granite layers are nearly 4 km away. I've got long, winding gravel paths over hill and dale to deposits of lime, halite, you name it. I also made my own small JSON mod that provides a use for gravel blocks beyond just panning, allowing them to be used for crafting gravel paths. Dramatically increases my efficiency in crafting them, as I don't need to go digging for rocks just for crafting pathways, just gotta head to the nearest gravel desert and go ham with a shovel.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I reinstalled former thread darling Card Survival today and there has been a lot of updates, including 1.0v. Is there anything new that I need to keep a close eye on?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

I reinstalled former thread darling Card Survival today and there has been a lot of updates, including 1.0v. Is there anything new that I need to keep a close eye on?

There's a dog, he's the best boy.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I really want to like CS but dragging around all these cards is such a hassle :(

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Good to hear about the dog, looking forward to having a pet that isn't five hours from trying to tear my arm off at any particular time.

Monstaland posted:

I really want to like CS but dragging around all these cards is such a hassle :(

You kind of get used to it, and it helps that you can organize cards and set bookmarks. I play on my phone so just dragging and dropping comes natural but on PC you can also use number keys.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CuddleCryptid posted:

There are several QOL mods for it now: https://www.nexusmods.com/cardsurvivaltropicalisland?tab=popular+%28all+time%29

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm playing on Android mobile :negative:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Jungle bases aren't as safe now (but still the best overall), you can catch and breed boar, the new difficulty options are actually hard, the travois is great for mass moving items between zones.

Combat update is 'soon' and they're also working on a new game in the same style.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rynoto posted:

Jungle bases aren't as safe now (but still the best overall), you can catch and breed boar, the new difficulty options are actually hard, the travois is great for mass moving items between zones.

Combat update is 'soon' and they're also working on a new game in the same style.

Out of curiosity, why are jungle bases so good? I've usually done them in the grasslands due to being able to do agriculture plus a lack of bugs.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Out of curiosity, why are jungle bases so good? I've usually done them in the grasslands due to being able to do agriculture plus a lack of bugs.

Multiple monitor bites are run killers later on and with the current state of combat rng it's just safer to stay in the jungle with boar raids until you've trapped and killed most/all the lizards lategame. Jungle is also one tile closer to the Wetlands which is important early game when building your wells, mud for construction, and the cave for emergency water. Combine all that with slightly better temperatures for the hot season and direct access to the beach for fishing/cooling off and there's really no early-to-mid game comparison.

Typically though I do start moving after the first dry season to the grasslands once traps are all set and stone hut is going up and paths are built just to escape the mosquitos.

IMO, the earliest you should ever permanently move to the grasslands is when you can slap a door on your hut as that at least will keep you from getting RNG killed too hard.

With that said every location besides the hurricane zones are more than suitable base locations and always doing the same bases can get boring.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 24, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rynoto posted:

Multiple monitor bites are run killers later on and with the current state of combat rng it's just safer to stay in the jungle with boar raids until you've trapped and killed most/all the lizards lategame. Jungle is also one tile closer to the Wetlands which is important early game when building your wells, mud for construction, and the cave for emergency water. Combine all that with slightly better temperatures for the hot season and direct access to the beach for fishing/cooling off and there's really no early-to-mid game comparison.

Typically though I do start moving after the first dry season to the grasslands once traps are all set and stone hut is going up and paths are built just to escape the mosquitos.

IMO, the earliest you should ever permanently move to the grasslands is when you can slap a door on your hut as that at least will keep you from getting RNG killed too hard.

With that said every location besides the hurricane zones are more than suitable base locations and always doing the same bases can get boring.

Yeah I've been hanging out in the jungle on this suggestion and it's been fine, but Jesus H Christ I swear that there was an update to change animal spawns because when I go into the grasslands now I probably get a dangerous animal spawn on searching 50% of the time. I don't remember it being this bad.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Just do a mermaid run and you won't have to worry about it as much!

I'm in the later stages of one. The baby's finally born but I need to find a way to stuff myself and gain some weight. 8 birds aren't enough to keep me in fish omelets and the fish and chips doesn't work anymore since the change in digestion - you now just throw all the nutrition up before it hits the intestines. Now that I don't waddle everywhere and have a few moments to breathe I made a log trap in the west grasslands and am hoping that'll help, maybe I can make some hearty feasts.

I keep getting unlucky with wounds/stings though which really eats into the calories, I was walking a knife edge in the later stages of pregnancy and I couldn't get my fish traps in fast enough and they got blown away in a storm :negative:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Weight really is a big issue, and boy am I having to relearn a lot of things from not playing it a year. I've done great about hoarding water, got a reservoir up and running and a mud house with a stove and loom, all good. But I've realized I've neglected my trapping/farming skills and I'm still having to go get food manually which spends a lot of time and calories every day.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i’ve noticed developing a routine tied to the 4h skill gain atrophy is the way to go. Avoiding doing multiple things in a row when possible. get up in the morning and train spears/bows, pull cord off of a spindle (you can do this in darkness) for tailoring, train climbing then dive for swimming and entertainment and to cool off, carve a flute which is separate from carving figurines, grab a plant for herbology, put quick expiring bait like fish scraps in one trap outside so you can reset it every day for skill points, just mixing it up and not sitting and making 20 mud bricks in a row helps. doing small steps on a bunch of things instead of all the steps all at once.

the travoy is fantastic and you may not be aware but you can put bags/backpacks inside for a double weight discount. If you’re used to hauling 1-2 bags on your bar waking around, put the bags in a travoy instead and don’t go anywhere without it!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm playing on Android mobile :negative:

Thanks for the reminder to buy it on iOS. I kept forgetting.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Is it on IOS now?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cardsurvival-tropical-island/id1665898334

It’s a bit pricy but I appreciate that they took the time to put it out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bhodi posted:

i’ve noticed developing a routine tied to the 4h skill gain atrophy is the way to go.

The what? Well gently caress.

How bad is the reduction for repeated usage?

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it's basically the perfect mobile game. A lot going on but done at your own pace, everything is drag and drop cards anyways, can save and quickly resume at any time.

E. Dammit I forgot you could get wood by chopping the forest location cards with an axe, I've been looking around for it like a mook.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 25, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Can someone link me a good (ideally written) guide they think is a good intro to 7 days to die? In theory I feel like I should really like it but in practice I’ve really struggled to get into it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

CuddleCryptid posted:

The what? Well gently caress.

How bad is the reduction for repeated usage?
This video goes into it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCWtMaPqMmY

Assuming it's accurate the formula is EXP = Base * 0.8^reps, and the repetition counter only decreases by 1 every 3 hours. So if you do one action 8 times in a row, you get about half the experience as you would if you spread those out. I don't think it's a huge deal, normally I'm more motivated by getting whatever task done quickly rather than minmaxing experience. The easiest way to take advantage of it is to spread out tasks for stuff that you'll always need more of, like chop wood one time once a day instead of 7 times once a week.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Some skills are absolutely worth grinding out fast too like knapping and trapping, both of which have abundant and easily accessible materials to train with. Weapons are good in the morning/evening while cooking or whatever and most of the rest tend to raise naturally as you progress.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

misguided rage posted:

This video goes into it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCWtMaPqMmY

Assuming it's accurate the formula is EXP = Base * 0.8^reps, and the repetition counter only decreases by 1 every 3 hours. So if you do one action 8 times in a row, you get about half the experience as you would if you spread those out. I don't think it's a huge deal, normally I'm more motivated by getting whatever task done quickly rather than minmaxing experience. The easiest way to take advantage of it is to spread out tasks for stuff that you'll always need more of, like chop wood one time once a day instead of 7 times once a week.

Thanks for the info. As you said it seems like skills that rely on consumables is probably the best for this, like axe durability, but I can see woodworking meshing well with this since you can do it quickly as you do other things. It does explain why I seemed to proc a level up on the first training of a day.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What is it with these games and crashing? Green Hell is freezing and crashing like crazy lately, and this is on a separate computer from the one I played Stranded: Deep on so it's not that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man I love card survival but I really wish they were more clear with some the functions. I really have no idea what clothes do over than keep you warm. When it's hot out is the best thing to just run around in nothing but a hat? Does the leave skirt even do anything?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
They have mental benefits too but yeah it isn't clear.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

CuddleCryptid posted:

Man I love card survival but I really wish they were more clear with some the functions. I really have no idea what clothes do over than keep you warm. When it's hot out is the best thing to just run around in nothing but a hat? Does the leave skirt even do anything?

Clothes also provide some bug, sun and rain protection, and can provide some injury mitigation for where they cover. No idea on the actuals stats of each piece tho, though I figured out the bug protection cause I noticed the bug bar fluctuating when changing clothes.

And yeah, nebulous mental health benefits for not being naked and having accessories.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sokani posted:

They have mental benefits too but yeah it isn't clear.

You kind of have to just make stuff and then check the all your bars to see where they are showing influence.

I'm about ready to die of dehydration on my current run since I stupidly thought I could just hoard water enough to last through the season, even though it ended up largely evaporating due to being in jars and above ground reservoirs. But hey at least I know where there is copper now.

The biggest thing I need to do is figure out how to farm chilies, since half the recipes you can make require them. Right now it seems like a total loss because each plant gives you two, which if you plant one and then have to make pesticide with the other then you basically just get what you put in back, minus water. You can fertilize them heavily to make them grow faster than the mites gather but again that's a lot of effort for one additional unit.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

CuddleCryptid posted:

The biggest thing I need to do is figure out how to farm chilies, since half the recipes you can make require them. Right now it seems like a total loss because each plant gives you two, which if you plant one and then have to make pesticide with the other then you basically just get what you put in back, minus water. You can fertilize them heavily to make them grow faster than the mites gather but again that's a lot of effort for one additional unit.

From the wiki:

When growing Chili Plants, they have their own “anti-mite defense” thus no need to worry about putting said pesticide on them during Dry Seasons, but one should be worried if they plant them in the Jungle or Wetlands especially if it's rainy season as fungal infestations might do their job instead.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

LordSloth posted:

From the wiki:

When growing Chili Plants, they have their own “anti-mite defense” thus no need to worry about putting said pesticide on them during Dry Seasons, but one should be worried if they plant them in the Jungle or Wetlands especially if it's rainy season as fungal infestations might do their job instead.

Yeah if I can get more water for the dry season then that works, but otherwise it's an issue feeding water to plants instead of the character.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

It’s still going to be an awful struggle, but I’ve had some luck with banana tree stumps and using a jar instead of a bowl. There are some more long-term solutions for water, but it’s probably too late for them now.

Sadly, I don’t focus on agriculture, so I lack real experience on efficient chili farming.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok I have to restart Green Hell because my dude got so loaded up with infectious worm holes that it’s impossible for me to get it cured in time to avoid dying even when working out a speedrunning path to make a honey bandage

This game is ridiculous

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Green Hell - infectious worm holes that it’s impossible for me to get it cured in time to avoid dying

I can’t decide if this sounds fantastic.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ok I have to restart Green Hell because my dude got so loaded up with infectious worm holes that it’s impossible for me to get it cured in time to avoid dying even when working out a speedrunning path to make a honey bandage

This game is ridiculous
Day 1 death spirals are for sure a thing in Green Hell. Sleeping in any kind of shelter rather than the jungle floor is your #1 priority, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

LordSloth posted:

It’s still going to be an awful struggle, but I’ve had some luck with banana tree stumps and using a jar instead of a bowl. There are some more long-term solutions for water, but it’s probably too late for them now.

Sadly, I don’t focus on agriculture, so I lack real experience on efficient chili farming.
I haven't found that crafting+deploying either anti fungals/mites to be a good use of my time. The numbers/pictures on the cards aren't super accurate or informative; you'll notice the mites have a "no" sign over the mites which means chilis can't be lost due to mites.

Keep the hydration in the 25%-75% window most of the time and you'll get plants. Fertilizer and planting in the correct (grasslands or jungle) biome just speed up the growth. Only fertilizer from the bin is worth the time investment; I don't even use rotten/scraps directly on the bed.

The small jar can be helpful if your plants are nearby and you don't have too many, basically you just top them to 75% every morning or turn on the reservoir watering thing for 15-30 mins.

It's probably even worth planting everything where you made your hut even if it takes longer to grow if you've got the water to support it because having herbs/food nearby when you get injured/sick is critical and herbs/food in the ground never rot and don't need drying out. Some can even be harvested in darkness for some reason!

If you're thirsty for water, the pro move is putting the jerrycan on the nipa trees and drinking the sap direct from it; One nipa tree from the mangroves is easy to scout, will fill one jerrycan exactly, and the sap is almost as good as pure water especially if you alternate drinking sap and water. Doing that and boiling water from the 2 slowly refilling cave puddles is plenty to get through the dry season, the trick is exploring to the puddles before you're dying of thirst. If you collect liquid from stems or trees you absolutely need to use something with a lid but I believe a cooking pot fits in the stumps, that's definitely the way to go over a jar.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 27, 2023