Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

If Stereotype won't do it just report your own post asking a mod to please change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/gspeng/status/1661843193972031489?t=hxUNcpjh1GcwTv6J2DZFAw&s=19

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

starkebn posted:

If Stereotype won't do it just report your own post asking a mod to please change it.

i'm doing my best gosh

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Hey that's pretty cool. Guess everything will be perfectly fine. But just wondering, how many of the previous commitments have been kept?

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
I went 5 years booze free before Covid hit, where I sunk into a hole and became collapse aware and started drinking again. I feel like I’m never gonna be sober again, hopefully cirhosis will just take me out quicker where I can chill with the Lord or maybe the bad boy himself, Mr. Devil. With my luck AI will figure out fusion while I’m on my death bed or some poo poo

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

jetz0r posted:

Hey that's pretty cool. Guess everything will be perfectly fine. But just wondering, how many of the previous commitments have been kept?

Came here to post that, good news!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Actually this site is way better:

https://climateactiontracker.org/countries/usa/

Lol that current policies and actions predict the US might be on as good a pathway as +3degC by 2030!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol we all gonna die before we are 60.

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 04:14 on May 27, 2023

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
sounds about right

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

in terms of the regions putting up big boy numbers of emissions, the trends aren't going the way popular cspam opinion would you have you think

western capitalist nations got us to where we are but nature doesn't care about who started it

everyone is hosed basically

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Just a Moron posted:

The fusion reactor is actually a portal to hell that the demonrats want to build so they can enslave us all

The liberation gate will bring God back

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
the real problem is graphs

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Soggy Muffin posted:

I went 5 years booze free before Covid hit, where I sunk into a hole and became collapse aware and started drinking again. I feel like I’m never gonna be sober again, hopefully cirhosis will just take me out quicker where I can chill with the Lord or maybe the bad boy himself, Mr. Devil. With my luck AI will figure out fusion while I’m on my death bed or some poo poo

Sorry you're having a tough time, if it helps at all, the churn will be easier to deal with without an alcohol dependency. And the good times remaining are easier to enjoy.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Wheeee posted:

in terms of the regions putting up big boy numbers of emissions, the trends aren't going the way popular cspam opinion would you have you think

western capitalist nations got us to where we are but nature doesn't care about who started it

everyone is hosed basically

I'm honestly surprised to see U.S. emissions going down. Efficiency standards must be more effective than I thought.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Just a Moron posted:

I'm honestly surprised to see U.S. emissions going down. Efficiency standards must be more effective than I thought.

1% of america died of covid + a solid % of the population is wfh or hybrid with traffic patterns down approximately 20% from pre-pandemic and public transit ridership down 70% from pre-pandemic + another whole bunch retired

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the trend began long before covid

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
thats bc the gfc led to frakking boom which is clean natural energy

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
None of those graphs take into account the trillion+ tons of methane that will be released from Greenland and Siberia when their glaciers and permafrost melt .

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I have to laugh at the idea of fusion energy, even if we developed it yesterday, saving the planet lmao. If the idea of humans given almost limitless power doesn’t fill you with dread then you haven’t realised just how much we’ve hosed the planet already.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Just a Moron posted:

it's called decarbonizing your economy by outsourcing all industrial manufacturing, OP

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Hubbert posted:

it's called decarbonizing your economy by outsourcing all industrial manufacturing, OP

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

FlapYoJacks posted:

None of those graphs take into account the trillion+ tons of methane that will be released from Greenland and Siberia when their glaciers and permafrost melt .

yeah but since you can’t know that will happen we will just assume it won’t

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Also none of those graphs take into account that the emissions are self reported (lol) and comically under-counted (lmao)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Microplastics posted:

Also none of those graphs take into account that the emissions are self reported (lol) and comically under-counted (lmao)

Are they also net emissions? A huge percentage of carbon offset programs have been found to be fraudulent or underperforming when audited. And not many are audited.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Microplastics posted:

we can't meet our targets even when we are entirely fabricating all of the numbers

lol

lmao

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rapacity posted:

I have to laugh at the idea of fusion energy, even if we developed it yesterday, saving the planet lmao. If the idea of humans given almost limitless power doesn’t fill you with dread then you haven’t realised just how much we’ve hosed the planet already.

"Humanity! Welcome to free, cheap, clean, unlimited energy!"

(crypto miners immediately max out usage, nullifying the benefits)

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Make up a number smaller than five

Six

gently caress

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i have a potentially stupid question: when measuring how much people "emit", do we measure that by manufacturing and output or do we measure it by the actual impact of items consumed? i just woke up so i'm having a hard time phrasing this. like when the us or canada goes, "we produce [x] carbon ergo we hit our climate goals" are we counting the stuff we make or the all the stuff we actually use? i have a feeling it's the first one

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

cash crab posted:

i have a potentially stupid question: when measuring how much people "emit", do we measure that by manufacturing and output or do we measure it by the actual impact of items consumed? i just woke up so i'm having a hard time phrasing this. like when the us or canada goes, "we produce [x] carbon ergo we hit our climate goals" are we counting the stuff we make or the all the stuff we actually use? i have a feeling it's the first one

We blame China for the emissions for everything we consume

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Puppy Burner posted:

We blame China for the emissions for everything we consume

i thought as much, just wanted to confirm

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Azhais posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-65726193

quote:

India official drains entire dam to retrieve phone

lol

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

State Farm no longer accepting new property insurance policies in CA due to "rapidly growing catastrophe exposure":

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/05/26/state-farm-says-no-new-property-insurance-clients-in-california/

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNrtArLJJw

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I love that guy

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Jort Fortress posted:

State Farm no longer accepting new property insurance policies in CA due to "rapidly growing catastrophe exposure":

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/05/26/state-farm-says-no-new-property-insurance-clients-in-california/

It's happening!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Rapidly Growing Catastrophe Exposure is my stripper name

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Jort Fortress posted:

"In a statement, the company said it would work with the California Department of Insurance to restore its market capacity in the state."

what does that mean

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

actionjackson posted:

"In a statement, the company said it would work with the California Department of Insurance to restore its market capacity in the state."

what does that mean

getting the CDI to hold or back the reinsurance policy

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ah ok thanks

has state farm already backed out of florida?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

bedpan posted:

getting the CDI to hold or back the reinsurance policy

correct, the end-state of all these insurance companies making big splashes is for florida or feds or ca government to step in and give them billions of dollars to "shore up the insurance industrial complex"

the end-goal is they want any declared State of Emergencies insurance to be paid for by taxpayers instead of their corporate funds, while reaping in profits under "normal conditions"