Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That is extremely cool, and I'm glad your mom is back home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I saw a bunny in my yard

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The guy who shows up with his stand every year to sell fuckin sick as hell licorice showed up, gently caress yes. Time to poo poo my guts out.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I saved a mouse!

My cat Sam brought it in and chased it up and down the side of the room while it hid behind/under shelves and stuff. I had an inspiration and put down an old poster mailing tube along the wall, the mouse hid in it and got shaken out of it in a conveniently overgrown bit of garden while Sam continued investigating under the shelves.

I just hope this doesn't become a regular occurrence...

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Biplane posted:

The guy who shows up with his stand every year to sell fuckin sick as hell licorice showed up, gently caress yes. Time to poo poo my guts out.

Hey kid wanna buy some licorice?

Xand_Man has a new favorite as of 01:53 on May 21, 2023

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I got to talk astronomy to 300+ attendees of an observatory’s open house. It was entire ad lib and I fielded questions for over three hours as we talked about everything from a star’s lifespan to the eventual fate of the universe.

Most importantly it felt like I was actually inspiring people to wonder about the stars above, and encouraged them to keep asking questions long after they left the observatory.

It was the first time in a very long time I’ve felt actually useful and made me realize how much I had missed being a force for education—of inspiration—and how miserable I had been without it.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I just ordered my first real binder and a shirt to wear with it :)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pogonodon posted:

I just ordered my first real binder and a shirt to wear with it :)

+

?

I apologize for my stupid joke and offer instead actual heartfelt congratulations.

For content, on my drive to work yesterday, I saw a deer and a fox. Both were cute, but the fox had a proper shiny coat, and he gave me the side eye as I drove past. Sassy red bastard that he was.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

BrigadierSensible posted:

+

?

I apologize for my stupid joke and offer instead actual heartfelt congratulations.

For content, on my drive to work yesterday, I saw a deer and a fox. Both were cute, but the fox had a proper shiny coat, and he gave me the side eye as I drove past. Sassy red bastard that he was.

That reminds me of the really cute time that when my mother was driving me to work years ago for an early shift, I saw a fox on the roadside eating a huge amount of discarded chips (UK chips from a fish and chip shop, not US Potato Chips). He was having a good day.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Don't apologize, that got a genuine laugh out of me. :)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ramie posted:

I replaced my mouse cursor with this:

YEAH THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!

Do you have to stop moving the cursor when he pauses his flapping?

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Just for giggles, I bought one of those "books by the foot" things to see what I'd get. I chose the "dark red leather bindings" option, and I really did get 8 books with dark red leather bindings. Plato and Shakespeare really make my bookcase look classy, and I only got ONE volume of the World Book Encyclopedia! :roflolmao: They promised a random selection, and fully delivered.

(Now, back to proper alphabetical-by-author sorting, thank you.)

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I bought a home. I no longer live at an apartment and I am loving it here.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Today was pretty great, took a pretty cool walk earlier, and I just made a delicious salad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my huge overstuffed oversized chair broke; one of the springs underneath it sheared apart and so sitting in it makes you list to the left, sinking into one corner. I was able to manage a fix wedging a piece of wood in underneath that spring, screwing it into place with a half dozen screws, and presto, good as new. I don't think I could find another chair like this at this point, it's decades old and a new one in its style would be really expensive I bet, so I'm glad it was a simple fix.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
got a notice from the city that i had a week to clean my front yard. i had been pulling weeds on and off all month, but more kept coming. we had a super wet spring for once, so i had a lovely wildflower patch that took over the yard for a month or two, but once they died, the weeds came in full force. it was to the point that half my garbage can would be full of weeds after an hour of pulling. and by the time the can was empty, the yard was full again.

so today i went out and took care of 90% of them. the remaining 10% need a loving bulldozer. and then there was all the now-dead grass that I suspect the neighbor kids kept watering because of the empty water bottles I found in the patches, and behind my bushes. i tore up all that i could but there's always more. i don't get how.

gently caress it. i called a yard place, and the dude came out today, did a check, gave me a quote, i paid the dude and gave him and his cousin some bottled water. hour later, the yard is spotless, my hands aren't killing me anymore, and they even put my solar lights back in place. as much as i hate paying people when i could do the poo poo myself, sometimes it is just easier.

also one of my ball pythons is sitting on eggs and they have another month and a half to go but i wanna see them hatch.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
tell me more about these ball pythons. "one of"? lets get some ballpark numbers

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'd like some more info on pythons, too. I would have guessed they lay an egg at a time, but I guess not. How many eggs can they lay at a time?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Hornet is our mama ball right now; i did not mean to breed her but it's possible she stored sperm from last year too. She is a mohave. When we got her some years ago, we also bought a male mohave and female lesser; you breed these two together and you can get a blue-eyed lucy (white snake with blue eyes). Ended up selling the male Wasp, and the female Bee died. So Hornet's new boy is Axolotl, a male blue eyed.

Her clutch last year was 7 eggs, 2 were infertile. This year, no idea because I let her incubate. I only know the two slugs because i removed them after the babies hatched. Professional breeders usually remove the eggs, but my incubators aren't made for snakes, and the moms have instinct on their side.

Other balls are Alien, my first, normal phase, have had him for 23 years. Then our four albinos: mom Luna, and her offspring Saul Goodman, Jesse, and Tuco. I gave Heisenberg to a friend who does birthday animal parties, where he lives in the spotlight as a showstopper.

I used to have over 20 snakes, have cut down a lot over the past few years. lots of ball python breeding ideas but unless you go pro, you're going to have a lot of mouths to feed and not many buyers. I had a nice spider ball python, but breeding those is a huge risk and no ethical breeder does it anymore because they suffer from neurological disorders in that bloodline.

also had Kenyan sand boas, my favorite boa: little fat sausage things that don't do eggs but have live birth. plus side is no incubation fuckups. bad is you end up with 10-12 babies sometimes that all need the smallest pinkie mice imaginable twice a week. my favorite female was Nod, a bright orange one; unlike most sand boas, she would come up and out of the sand and want to be handled. I had her about 15 years when she died, and that did it for me with sand boas. I sold the rest I had, which wasn't much.

have had corn snakes (super fast), milk snakes (not as fast, kinda chill by comparison), king snakes (fast and will eat other snakes), Brazilian rainbow boas (need high humidity and do NOT do well with snake mite treatment, as we discovered when most of ours died during it, and one female miscarried and never recovered) and a single Burmese python that we rehomed because even at two feet long, her feeding response was so great she would slam into the tank side if she saw us coming or walking by. went to a pet store as a display animal, she was a beautiful orange and white creamsicle but gently caress having a snake that can kill you, as a pet.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
for like a month I kept doing this really nasal british aristocrat voice, like boris johnson or something, pronouncing "python" like it rhymes with "rhythm" or "given" or something, and saying stuff like "never trust a pythin... never go into business with a pythin, don't do any deals with pythins, never trust one as far as you can stretch it... and I've stretched many pythins... in my jungle lab... in zimbabwe..." etc.

tremendously alienating to my friends and family but I did not stop

anyway kudos on your pythin lab

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Wait, snakes can have maternal instincts? How neat! I thought they all basically dropped the eggs/babies somewhere and went "lol seeya losers"
I hope you get some good snakes out of this batch.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
n/m

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pogonodon posted:

Wait, snakes can have maternal instincts? How neat! I thought they all basically dropped the eggs/babies somewhere and went "lol seeya losers"
I hope you get some good snakes out of this batch.

Oh yes, pythons are known for being great moms. I actually had to re-home a ball python who had a bad batch of eggs, and she remembered I had taken them. She went from a sweet laid back snake to striking the cage if I walked by. This went on for months after I took them. I'm sorry Crackle, they were all infertile!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Oh yes, pythons are known for being great moms. I actually had to re-home a ball python who had a bad batch of eggs, and she remembered I had taken them. She went from a sweet laid back snake to striking the cage if I walked by. This went on for months after I took them. I'm sorry Crackle, they were all infertile!

Your last couple of posts were great and that's why my day was awesome.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
today was awesome for me because one of my pencil urchins is regrowing his spines.

the old adage is, if you want a saltwater fish tank, take 5 $100 bills out, and burn them one by one. if you ever hesitate, you are not ready for a marine tank.

one of my old friends/professors died in 2021. It was a clusterfuck, no one saw it coming, and because COVID was so huge, I didn't see him in the hospital. he probably would have preferred that, since he was kept on a breathing machine for a week before they pulled it. about a year later, his ex contacted me and asked if I wanted his marine tank.

now this thing hadn't been touched since he had died. it was always neglected, a 55 gallon with rocks and a few various animals he'd pick up from his SCUBA trips, and a year of more neglect did not help. the tank itself was no good, so I took the serpent starfish (I named Event Horizon), two brittle stars, a goby and snail, to my 20 gallon at home, set up entirely from his old tank. including rocks i had given him when i worked at a zoo, and wanted to spruce up his tank with extra decor. he still had the loving rocks i got him a decade ago.

sadly the brittle stars did not survive, and Event Horizon died after a few months; I almost tore the tank down, but decided to keep it going, mostly because I had nowhere to give the goby and snail. I picked up two chocolate chip starfish (one didn't make it), two pencil urchins (the one that was losing his spikes/spines is a high anxiety male who releases sperm clouds nearly every water change), and have 5 serpent stars who are loving baller and I love watching them. Goby and snail still kicking around.

I have some micro brittle stars, and am planning to maaaaaybe burn another 5 $100 bills and set up a tank to try and breed them.

things i did not think i would say until i had a saltwater tank:

YOU DO NOT EAT SEAWEED, STOP STEALING IT FROM THE URCHINS. ---said to the serpent starfish
STOP EATING MY SPONGE FILTERS! ---said to the urchins
WHY ARE YOU CHEWING ON THE AIRLINE TUBING? --said to starfish, urchins, snail
STOP TAKING HIS FOOD, YOU HAVE YOUR OWN! --said to the goby when anyone else has food

I do not know if I spent/burned the 500 yet on protein skimmers, salt, or a mix of everything. Probably just salt and the protein skimmer I no longer use (after it dumped 3 gallons of water into the carpet).

in terms of the ball pythons, i think i might be overwatering the egg box so I am chilling on that. Hornet took this with some grace but demanded a mouse today in exchange.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Only one theme park ride I couldn’t go on for “good living” reasons.

Better than I could have ever expected; was dreading this family holiday, but it’s given me the impetus to shed even more poundage.

Just keep going…

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

My cat had some surgery done earlier this week, and he is normally a very picky eater already. We've got one specific kind of dry food we know that he likes, after trying multiple different kinds, but now he's been relegated to soft food for a week or likely more, and he's barely been touching the stuff. We've already tried a bunch of different types, we've tried different locations where he would normally get his treats/food in case he wasn't liking where he was eating, we've tried seeing if he'd be more receptive to it if we add a little bit of softened dry food on top, but nothing was really working that well. The vet was helpful with giving us some of those options and even some appetite-inducing medication, but the stubborn guy just didn't seem like he wanted to eat at all, yet our other cat will sniff the soft food from across the house and try clawing through doors to try and get to it. Feeding them has been stressful.

The cat recovering from surgery hasn't looked out of it, or changed his behavior much, and he's had two times throughout the week that he would eat an OK portion of soft food, but he's avoided it as much as possible. I was getting really worried for him today because if he wouldn't actually sit down and eat some food, he might have to go right back to the vet so we can either see if something's gone wrong during recovery or, I dunno, start him on some kind of nutrient paste with a syringe. And he hates the syringe, it's already a struggle trying to give him his antibiotics.

I gave him a plate of soft food in all the ways I can remember doing when he would eat food earlier this week, but he licked at it for a few seconds and then went to go sit on a pillow instead. Later on he was sitting around where the dry food bowl normally sits, like he was waiting for lunch, so I grabbed a regular scoop of the dry food, added a little bit of water in it to soften it, and was going to give him the softened dry food again since he was looking for the regular stuff. This time around I microwaved it for 10-15 seconds to soften it up a little quicker--I was honestly just trying to get it to soften up faster. For how picky he is, I thought microwaving his food would send him running, but I was not going to wait 5-10 minutes for dry food to soften when he was right there looking for his normal food dish.

That boy loving ate. I made sure he didn't overdo it, and he's going to get a little bit more warmed up later, but this has been a complete 180 and it's such a huge relief. :qq: :unsmith: :stoked:

And the best part is: The other cat will not touch the warmed-up food at all. So the two of them can eat their food together like they normally do. :kimchi:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oh my goodness, you must be so relieved! I've had multiple post-surgery pets, and the stress of getting the little idiots to do the things they need to do to heal well is just plain ridiculous.

Get well soon terrible fool/loveable kitty!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I finally got around to trying a Japanese restaurant that's close to my home, but I never went near as it was poorly advertised - the only entrances to the car park are the front area by the roundabout where there are absolutely no signs until you are AT the building, which is hidden behind the poundland nearby so walking past you'd never see it, and the other entrance where the actual signs are is through a really sketchy looking alley where the only signs of life are the signs for the restaurant like the worlds shittiest angler fish.

However, the actual restaurant is nice, the food is good, I had a miso broth with udon noodles and a bunch of seafood and a glass of Japanese plum wine (I hate most common alcohols, but some ciders I'm OK with. I often make a point in an uncommon restaurant to try something from the country it's in though, so in the Greek restaurant I went to I mainly went with Greek dishes like Mousaka and found I quite liked the aniseed alcohol that they served as a free welcome drink. Similarly, the plum wine was nice. I hate red and white grape wine).

The price was also decent, it was only about £20 for those and a side of egg-fried rice that proved too much as the broth had a lot there.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I’ve made all the arrangements for my first holiday abroad as an adult. I’m going to Greece* with the other half and some close friends in September! :toot:

*Paxos, to be precise

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yay made some new board game friends. And they got their shots and masks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm having trouble keeping down solid food recently because of throat cancer shenanigans, but I'm now two consistent days in a row of eating all my calories in solid food form instead of skipping all meals and relying on shakes, milk, juice, assorted water flavour additives, etc etc

Today's menu was fried rice with four eggs, lots of broccoli, and a sauce I made out of mayo, sesame oil, mustard, garlic, a little bit of leftover pork butt, and tapatio which sounds kinda gross but for real I'm a former fat kid, I love food so much, and it tasted glorious, plus I got down a whole ginormous amount of calories in one go with plenty of fibre, protein, and fat

It's been like an hour and it's all still down, this loving rocks. Food... rocks

e2: oh and I also put anchovies in at the last moment and ate sat on the balcony eating with my niece while we watched the neighgbour across the street's new puppy do puppy things

just truly a blessed few hours

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Jun 12, 2023

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

^^ gently caress yeah, a good meal after long deprivation is a truly magical thing, hope you are doing ok :) ^^

I saw a fogbow for the very first time today, and it was only about 100 feet from my window! In arc and overall appearance, it was like this:

but imagine a foggy background instead of a blue sky, it was more like a bright arc against a dull, foggy background.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

At a friend's cottage and Dizi got to chase a frog and swim in the lake. She saw a boat on the lake through the window and acted like it was a squirrel on the lawn. Culminated in her getting stuck in a window sill:

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

I went to my third therapy session today. Got a lot of my chest and I feel like I described how I was feeling this past week very well. I also went to Jury Duty today and was selected to sit on the jury. It was a very minor drug offense with no victims or any other foul play. I was the presiding juror and the other jurors agreed with my opinion on the sentencing, and the dude got off with time served. I also fixed a broken closet door, and hung up some curtains when I got home.

Savor the simple wins in your life. Feel good about being a part of your community.

Love one another.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My second nephew was born today! His name is Julian, joining his 20-month old brother Jett. He's a hairy little tomato guy.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Yesterday I got to walk away from a deeply unsatisfying job (doing tech stuff for some billionaires, they’re every bit as awful as you imagine), where company management just keep loving the operations teams into the dirt, ultimately doing no meaningful good work for anyone at all.

I haven’t slept so well in months, just knowing I’ll never have anything to do with that joint again.

I’ll take a quiet week off and am then joining a nonprofit org focused on work for some super vulnerable folks. Feels really good to be on a team with a mission again.

PuntCuncher has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Jul 8, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

PuntCuncher posted:

Yesterday I got to walk away from a deeply unsatisfying job (doing tech stuff for some billionaires, they’re every bit as awful as you imagine), where company management just keep loving the operations teams into the dirt, ultimately doing no meaningful good work for anyone at all.

I haven’t slept so well in months, just knowing I’ll never have anything to do with that joint again.

I’ll take a quiet week off and am then joining a nonprofit org focused on work for some super vulnerable folks. Feels really good to be on a team with a mission again.

I know how you feel, I got a better job 6 months ago - I used to work for a call centre that was contracted out to a series of sporting goods stores that was dealing with missing parcels and things after people ordered online, which was super frustrating because all the delivery companies were poo poo, constant missing or stolen parcels that we couldn't do poo poo about and a lot of customers yelling at us, but then 6 months ago I found a job at the Environment Agency, a UK government body that deals with permitting, making sure companies deal with waste and emissions intelligently, and flood prevention and it feels so much less irritating. I'm actually getting good reviews on my calls and things and am WAY less stressed than I was, and because of how well I'm doing they've given me an admin process which is nice. They also have a pretty decent union that's currently fighting for a big payrise (aiming for 10%, last offer was 4.5 but they're still trying) and because of them each employee is expected to get a £1500 stipend soon too on top of that, so even if they don't succeed at the full payrise there's going to be something positive out of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Today, we basically finished cleaning out the dining room. It had been turned into makeshift storage room of some of mom's stuff and mostly stuff we recovered from my stepdad's house after he died, because we were given a time limit to salvage anything from there before they dumpstered everything and refurbished the whole place. so we stuffed a ton of things in boxes and brought it back home and filled the dining room with it. It's been almost two years now, and we were kinda picking at it a little bit at a time, but I wanted to get it done and over with. So while I was on medical leave, we spent a short time each day getting a chunk done. An hour one day, two hours another, whichever felt comfortable for mom or I, if we were on a roll and wanted to continue, we just kept going until one of us said "okay, enough". Going through touchstones and such can suddenly trigger a desire to stop, which is understandable. But we kept at it day after day, and what once was an entire room filled to the ceiling pretty much, now fits the remaining boxes on a single shelf.

while on medical leave, through keeping consistently at it, I sat down with mom and we went through everything in the dining room. just had to keep to it and not falter, keep to a schedule. I'm super proud of her for being able to get through it all when even 5 years ago her hoarder tendencies wouldn't have let her get rid of any of it. Loaded up my van full of clothing to donate and will be taking that out tomorrow.

the whole room was like this, or a bit more stacked with bins:

all photos, albums, etc, got put in a single container. no more shoeboxes of random polaroids, it all gets put together so we can properly go through it at some other point, but I knew if we started looking at them it would both hurt and delay us interminably, so I set a ground rule of any photos found get put in the photo bin. this was with the room about ~half done, we focused entirely on the left side and finished that, where I took this photo, then did the right side after. the left side looked just as bad as the right side beforehand:

and now the room is essentially done. the only thing left to do that is a pretty big job is finding someone to buy all the toys my stepdad kept from his kid's childhoods, like the barbies and stuff, but I'm sure I can find someone to buy all that. other than that, the room's basically cleared:

And Gus gets the room all to himself, at least for the moment. he was not amused by me waking him up to take the pictures

I'm very happy with all this. it was a ton of effort and very dusty, but it's done.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 13:29 on Jul 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm very happy with all this. it was a ton of effort and very dusty, but it's done.

This is wonderful for you and your Mother, well done getting through something so tough as a team.