Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Residency Evil posted:

I feel like 50% of people love road tubeless and 50% say it’s awful and go back to tubes.

:psyduck:

The 50% that complain about it always have the most adorable complaints.

My favorite was the guy that complained he had to put new sealant in occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

I feel like 50% of people love road tubeless and 50% say it’s awful and go back to tubes.

:psyduck:

I figure if I were riding tubes I'd have had a shitload of flats by now, trails around here are horribly maintained

Apr 7, 2003

e.pilot posted:

My favorite was the guy that complained he had to put new sealant in occasionally.

Just wait until that guy finds out about air

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Just wait until that guy finds out about air

To be fair with butyl at least you can go a couple rides without topping off beforehand. Not that it outweighs the benefits of tubeless for most.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the problem with tubeless is that i don’t ride my bikes enough

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the problem with tubeless is that i don’t ride my bikes enough

That is also an annoyance for me, I have some bikes I’ll only take out every few months and if I know it has been long enough that I need to add sealant I’ll grab a different bike that I know I can just inflate and go.

Apr 7, 2003

I ended up buying a Ridgid portable air compressor for around a hundred bucks to seat my tubeless tires / keep them topped up and it turns out that it's a good idea to have an air compressor around the house anyway.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
My road bike wheels/tires are "tubeless ready," whatever that is supposed to mean. I know what it ostensibly means, but nothing is ever easy, and the easier the process of going tubeless is made to sound by those who've done it, the more complicated they make it sound.

I've got nothing against tubeless; I'm just not sure the benefits are worth the expense and trouble given my riding habits. And, I am an old fart (with apparently brittle bones), and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" has served me very well; 60% of the time, that philosophy has worked every time.

Also, I'm still a babby when it comes to wrenching on my bike. I haven't even practiced servicing a flat.* I can only imagine how fun sealing a tire will be. I'll probably do it at some point and wonder why I ever waited, but tubes are working fine right now.

* There are occasional workshops for this held by local cycling groups, but they all take place in the middle of the week during business hours at some place in the metro area that would take me almost an hour in daytime traffic to get to. I guess most area cyclists don't work.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 26, 2023

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
My race wheels are tubeless and the rear one needs more air every couple of weeks (so the night before every race realistically). I've had at least one ride where they saved me from a flat. My biggest issue is not having a good handle on how to manage a proper flat when I'm out and being reliant on borrowing my neighbours air compressor if I ever need to re-seat the tyres.

I'm very much sold though, and I'd be using tubeless on my training bike too if it didn't have almost brand new GP5000s on, which I bought for some lovely non-tubeless wheels I've since written off on a pothole. I just can't justify spending £150 to replace perfectly good tyres. I'll probably switch to tubeless for my commuter as well when those tyres wear out if I can find something good in a 35mm slick. That'll hopefully give me some practice dealing with flats outside of a race situation.

Edit: Still trying to figure out if I can run my 2005-era DT swiss MTB wheels with 2010ish Nobby Nics tubeless. Some quick googling says maybe, at least some people seemed to make it work with those rims and tyres when tubeless was new and not officially supported. The Schrader valves might be an issue though.

Yeep fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 26, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What weighs more, a pound of tubes or a pound of tape/sealant?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
For road people need to recognise it’s a mainly a performance thing, and not a fix all for everyone. For road riding outside of a city commute, punctures are a couple of times a year for most people at least where I am. Inconvenient, but less time total than they’d spend messing with tubeless.

For a city commute, armoured tyres have been infallible for me, not sure tubeless would change anything.

Yeep posted:

I just can't justify spending £150 to replace perfectly good tyres. I'll probably switch to tubeless for my commuter as well when those tyres wear out if I can find something good in a 35mm slick. That'll hopefully give me some practice dealing with flats outside of a race situation.

Yep, insane to throw away good tyres if they’re not causing problems.

For reference; Bikeinn is the place to get performance tubeless tyres for £50ish in the UK just now.

For commuting tubeless slicks I can really recommend Pirelli Cinturato Velo, which come in 35c. They’re very puncture proof and durable, zero flats so far in a year even running with tubes for half of it, and roll nicely.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

eeenmachine posted:

To be fair with butyl at least you can go a couple rides without topping off beforehand. Not that it outweighs the benefits of tubeless for most.

Why can you not do this with tubeless

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

vikingstrike posted:

Why can you not do this with tubeless

You can normally. It’s latex tubes the comparison was with.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Salt Fish posted:

What weighs more, a pound of tubes or a pound of tape/sealant?

On MTB, tubeless is definitely lighter. On road, I think it still is too but much the weight savings are much smaller.

If what you're doing is working not sure I'd rush out for road tubeless, but I got a new bike earlier this year and could make the change and it's been great. I also think having done tubeless on the MTB side for years made road tubeless seem much less daunting.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

vikingstrike posted:

On MTB, tubeless is definitely lighter. On road, I think it still is too but much the weight savings are much smaller.

If what you're doing is working not sure I'd rush out for road tubeless, but I got a new bike earlier this year and could make the change and it's been great. I also think having done tubeless on the MTB side for years made road tubeless seem much less daunting.

Now that I’ve moved to where the trails/paths aren’t groomed as well, tubeless is far superior for gravel and road. Not having to care about tiny goathead punctures is the best.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

eeenmachine posted:

This is tire and sealant dependent. With a Goodyear Eagle F1 tubeless tire I was losing less than 2psi each week. That was *better* than the rate of air loss in a Conti Race Light butyl tube.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

e.pilot posted:

I think for anyone tubeless-curious, it’s better to listen to the 50% who figured it out rather than the 50% who couldn’t.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

TobinHatesYou posted:

This is tire and sealant dependent. With a Goodyear Eagle F1 tubeless tire I was losing less than 2psi each week. That was *better* than the rate of air loss in a Conti Race Light butyl tube.

Yeah you are right, I've just been unlucky with some combinations, others hold air as well as butyl.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I never really know how much I lose as every time I air up the tires I push down the valve to ensure it’s open and thus lose some PSI

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Tubeless sucks because it makes me think I have too many bikes, because I cannot reliably remember when the last time I put sealant in all of them.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

bicievino posted:

Tubeless sucks because it makes me think I have too many bikes, because I cannot reliably remember when the last time I put sealant in all of them.

12 different color valve caps, each representing a different month.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i use a small notebook on my workbench for logging chain wax dates and sealant replenishment

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I started using tubes (after starting out on road tubeless) after getting a pinhead puncture that wouldn’t seal at 30psi let alone the 70psi I was running the tyre at. I was using stan’s though. Maybe other sealants are better at road pressures

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
my LBS says that muc off foamy sealant is good for road. I am about to test this hypothesis but with some pretty bulletproof tires

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Orange Seal for everything.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Depending on how bad my tape job was*, I lose anywhere between 1 and 30 psi a day on my gravel/commute tires and tubeless is *still* better than tubes.

or if I remembered to shake the stans bottle first

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 27, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Salt Fish posted:

12 different color valve caps, each representing a different month.

I’d need 10 colors for the rear wheel to represent which year I last did them.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

a patagonian cavy posted:

my LBS says that muc off foamy sealant is good for road. I am about to test this hypothesis but with some pretty bulletproof tires

Your LBS is terrible then, especially if they described Muc-Off as foaming (it doesn't.)

Sealants like Muc-Off and Silca are darlings of YouTube. They work okay when the sealant is freshly poured in abundance and when all the stabby implements are round. In real world usage, they suck.

Pssst, just use Orange Seal.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 27, 2023

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Orange Seal regular or endurance?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Regular

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Also dynaplugs on punctures that don't seal

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What kind of air compressor seats tires? I have a lovely one to inflate car tires. Can I just use that one?

Apr 7, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

What kind of air compressor seats tires? I have a lovely one to inflate car tires. Can I just use that one?

I use one of these

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-Gal-Portable-Electric-Pancake-Air-Compressor-OF60150HB/303379052

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bicievino posted:

springtime with orange seal endurance and keep your tires inflated, it’ll last about a year as long as the tires never go flat flat

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sphyre posted:

I was using stan’s though.

might as well have no sealant in your tires

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Residency Evil posted:

I have a 1 gallon california air tools compressor from amazon, they usually go for $150ish

https://a.co/d/87rIHuD

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

stan's works okay, orange seal is just better :shrug:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Clark Nova posted:

stan's works okay, orange seal is just better :shrug:

I’d go back to tubes if stan’s was my only option

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I use tubes because they just sound better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

it might work, depends on how lovely. most do not push enough air fast enough to make it happen.

i've gotten it to work with a ryobi cordless 18v model and now i use a milwaukee m12 inflator with a silca chuck