Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Lol, what a waste of breath.

Re: internal strife chat: I think everything going on in Russia is exactly what it appears to be. Putin's power is fracturing and everyone knows it and the country is likely to descend in to civil war. However, right now it's some trying to make it happen while others are taking steps to stop it from happening.

Repeating silly demands that are completely out of touch with reality shows how the regime is running on autopilot now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

:qqsay: Why won't you just submit to your abuser. Why are you doing this??

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

:qqsay: Why won't you just submit to your abuser. Why are you doing this??

Its so unfair when the rape victim fights back, and draws blood.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Oldsmobile posted:

Re: internal strife chat: I think everything going on in Russia is exactly what it appears to be. Putin's power is fracturing and everyone knows it and the country is likely to descend in to civil war. However, right now it's some trying to make it happen while others are taking steps to stop it from happening.

Repeating silly demands that are completely out of touch with reality shows how the regime is running on autopilot now.

yeah, I think the idea Putin would act like "other" dictators in this regard is a bit silly as he's consolidated power by cultivating a disinterested political class. fanatics can become fanatical for your opposition, it never served Russia to cultivate a fanatical population. even if this is Putin testing the waters, he's testing them because his power is fracturing.

disclaimer: I'm a loving idiot and nobody should value my opinions on Russia, just what it looks like to me.

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 27, 2023

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Der Kyhe posted:

Its so unfair when the rape victim fights back, and draws blood.
Well the evil West was teasing the wayward, malicious child with wild tales of freedom from their benevolent father. When the victim showed signs of leaving, of course the father stepped in to set things right!! The aid given by the West only furthers the harm done to the once harmonious family.

This is what tankies actually believe. If, that is, they believe anything beyond "AMERIKKKA BAD".

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukrianians continue to troll Russian in the field. Playing German music and yelling OHH SCHEISA and MEIN GOTT to scare them it's actually real funny.

Oh and yes some of the Russians yell sieg heil back which is as one man puts it

Concerning.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

I have a feeling they might not accept this generous offer

https://twitter.com/CinC_AFU/status/1662451731261796353

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Oldsmobile posted:

You're not entirely wrong but much like the USA, Russia isn't going to have a civil war in the near future

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Over the last few days Ukrainian progress has started to slow down, especially in the bakhmut area. Now that doesn't mean Russia is doing anything more than what they normally do, but I surmise this is part of the preparations for the next phase of the war.

There's a few things that happened over the last couple days that have definitely changed the battle space.

1. the incursion into Belgorod. I believe that the incursion into belgorod was specifically made to show how weak the border regions are, and force Russia to potentially move troops back to the board of regions and protect them which would mean that their reserves are diminished in the field.

2. The surveillance ship being hit in the Black Sea and being forced to head back to a dry dock.

3. Wagner leaving their front line positions for the most part.

4. The flanks of Bakhmut having to be reinforced with another mechanized brigade on the Russian side.

5. Ukraine downing Jets and blowing up 150 artillery pieces over the last week. I mean Russia suffered their largest single day loss of life in terms of pilots like 2 days ago and then lost another two Jets the day after etc. This is a pretty serious thing as it means that Ukraine is paving the airway for their future attacks. As having less jets in the air means that Ukraine can flex their Air wings in support of tank assaults.

Melitopol is going to be a very tough fight, Russia has done a lot of building to make a fortress out of it because they know the strategic importance of the central city. So for Ukraine to have a victory in good standing which I would define is not losing a massive amount of tanks, they need to have a healthy dose of HIMARS and strike craft sorties paving a road to the city.

So for me the slowing down of the progress being made is potentially just to give Russians what they feel like is breathing room before a complete and utter slicing attack where they don't expect one to occur. I mean counter-attacking right into bakhmut would be silly idea. Bakhmut was won on the flanks and it will be once again one on the flanks. Ukraine is needing to create very very nice large salients around the cities with a "humanitarian" corridor leading back to Russia for the military and collaborators to flee into.

So the precipice of all of this is that the offensive could be soon especially with the recent changes of the battlefield that have been made. A politically shaping it as well as territorily shaping it to be a very interesting and most likely very successful offensive operation.

What I would wonder is if Ukraine will have the Russian freedom forces conduct another attack in the oblasts bordering Ukraine which would cause a lot of confusion especially if the units inside the field are begging and demanding resources be allocated to them while Russia is literally losing border territories. I mean if that happens it's pretty difficult to call in a mechanized regiment as they're losing donetsk or something.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You're not entirely wrong but much like the USA, Russia isn't going to have a civil war in the near future

I agree with you but I'll also say this; many historical events that seem to have obvious causes and buildups in retrospect still blindsided people at the time because its kind of human instinct to be optimistic. Like even after the shelling of fort sumter and all the events leading up to it most Americans thought the Civil War was not going to be much of an actual conflict until Bull Run happened.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dwesa posted:

I have a feeling they might not accept this generous offer

https://twitter.com/CinC_AFU/status/1662451731261796353

Why won't Ukraine just accept that they are inferior to glorious ROYSZA?!

lmao that Putin gave Ukraine more of a united national identity than it ever had before, and may created his worst nightmare: a strong united Ukraine in NATO

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1662491158524710912

pedo bus turned up in Crimea

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Barudak posted:

Im sure smoke on a bridge is a good thing
Smooooke on the Kersh Bridge
And HIMARS in the sky
Smooooke on the Kersh Bridge
*Deep Purple guitar riff intensifies*

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

boofhead posted:

Basically, Econ 101 of extortion, don't strangle your golden goose
don't tell me how to jack off

zone
Dec 6, 2016

This piece of poo poo will be singing on the other side of his face about glorious POCCNR soon enough. Let him and the other vatniks clown around a little while longer.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Oldsmobile posted:

Re: internal strife chat: I think everything going on in Russia is exactly what it appears to be. Putin's power is fracturing and everyone knows it and the country is likely to descend in to civil war.

There are not signs pointing to it at the moment.
Until regular army begins having ideas, it is a non-starter.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Civil wars don't usually start and end like wars between countries, it's more of a churning, flaming up and going down, factions shifting and all that.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1662468413032214530
A bright spot in this loving war. Lost child was found after three days, thank god.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Chemical weapons used as provocations in Zaporizhzhia

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/05/27/7404149/

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/05/27/7404149/ posted:

Ukraine’s Defence Intelligence has noticed the beginning of Russian provocation in the temporarily occupied territory of Zaporizhzhia Oblast using chemical weapons.

Source: Ukraine’s Defence Intelligence

Details: Ukraine’s Defence Intelligence emphasises that in order to disrupt the counteroffensive actions of Ukraine, the Russian occupiers began to implement a provocation with the use of chemical weapons in the temporarily occupied territories of Zaporizhzhia Oblast on 27 May.

According to intelligence, soldiers of the Russian army will be the real victims of Russian provocation. The aggressor state plans to use the traces of injuries from chemical weapons on their bodies as fake evidence to accuse Ukraine.

Ukraine’s Defence Intelligence emphasises that the Security and Defence Forces of Ukraine use only conventional weapons during hostilities with Russian troops, and other fakes made by Russian special services are unable to influence the further course of events at the front line.

Background: Ukraine’s Defence Intelligence reported on 26 May that the Russian occupiers are preparing a large-scale provocation by simulating an accident at the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1662158333564813326
Really clever and really smart, trying to send the people trying to improve your weapons to the front line.

Chyron: Russian government to educate uranus with a strong spirit, will, and body.

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah there really haven't been any signs that would indicate any sort of wide ranging, powerful dissent. Putin has been doing this a long time, he's had decades to set up a basically unassailable position in government, with everyone's power derived from his approval and power distributed to individual factions who can be kept in line by other factions. Not just in a military sense (it is similar in the civilian government), but most importantly between the pmc's and states military, and also within the state military the power is kept fractured so that no one person or group has the ability to threaten the status quo.

And beyond all that, there aren't really any signs that the Russian people or military are particularly inclined to oppose him. Many fully agree and those that don't mostly realize they better keep quiet.

If I was to criticize this thread on something, it would be that folks can be a bit overoptimistic about a lot of things. But I get why that is the case.

Play fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 27, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lmao the latest vatnik talking point is showing a video of a busy McDonalds in Kyiv saying "THIS IS WHAT ARE TAX MONEY GO TO" like getting a burger means you aren't under constant missile threat at all times

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

Lmao the latest vatnik talking point is showing a video of a busy McDonalds in Kyiv saying "THIS IS WHAT ARE TAX MONEY GO TO" like getting a burger means you aren't under constant missile threat at all times

They had to come up with something new quickly after the 50th time they said Zaluzhny was dead or badly wounded and recovering in Cyprus (???) of all places.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Mcdonalds sounds pretty good after war tbh

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The protective chant of freedom.

Hamburger hamburger hamburger ham. Hamburger hamburger hamburger ham. Cheeseburger cheeseburger cheeseburger. Whopper whopper whopper.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Karate Bastard posted:

Hamburger hamburger hamburger

potato salad, potato salad

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Still thinking about gently caress off fatass burger destroyer.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

quote:

‘I prayed I wouldn’t be next’ The secretive prisons where Russia hides and tortures Ukrainian civilians

Over the last 14 months, Russia has abducted thousands of Ukrainian civilians, from volunteers and journalists to former soldiers and officials, and locked them in Russian prisons. The victims don’t have POW status, they’re not allowed to see their lawyers or loved ones, and most of them are impossible to communicate with from outside. Those who have managed to get out often still don’t know the official reasons for their incarceration or their release. In Simferopol alone, more than 100 civilian hostages (as they’re called by human rights advocates) are currently in captivity. Meduza special correspondent Lilia Yapparova spoke with Ukrainians who have been released from the facilities, as well as with their relatives and lawyers, to find out how this clandestine prison system works.

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2023/05/26/they-tortured-people-right-in-their-cells

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The busiest McDonald's in the world is the one on Pushkinskaya Square in Moscow

Wait, was

now it's one in Florida

lmao

Enoy your Big Macs, people of Kyiv

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Enoy your Big Macs, people of Kyiv

People of Ukraine have suffered enough

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

fatherboxx posted:

yeah, anyone thinking that Russia is anywhere near a civil war or military/govt collapse or an ousting/coup of putin is drinking too much ukr propaganda koolaid, there's nothing to suggest it's in the cards as things are.

putin right now has as strong a grip on Russian government as he ever has, he holds popular public support (whether actual or manufactured, same effect when that support isn't being openly challenged by opposition ) and the Russian government, military and police forces still hold the monopoly on violence within Russia uncontested (cept for abt 17 hours in belgorod)

as long as those things don't change, the Russian govt won't change

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

zone posted:

They had to come up with something new quickly after the 50th time they said Zaluzhny was dead or badly wounded and recovering in Cyprus (???) of all places.

Cyprus is Europes Little Russia. Lots of russian businessmen and "businessmen" lives there.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Lima posted:

Cyprus is Europes Little Russia. Lots of russian businessmen and "businessmen" lives there.

Interesting to know. Thanks! :tipshat:

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Lima posted:

Thought Serbia was actually little Russia. Though I know very little, just a kneejerk reaction if someone quizzed me on what country came first to mind.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

People of Ukraine have suffered enough

It’s still McDonalds food but it’s kind of a prestige brand in Ukraine, and it’s expensive (in comparison to prices for other food)

It’s like eating at a really nice McDonalds that just opened in the States

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

HonorableTB posted:

Lol even if they did get an MRAP, a mine resistant armor alloy wouldn't do them much good because there's no way they could exploit it anyway given the state of Russian heavy industry. And that's if the Russians didn't already have captured models of those things (and HMMVs, and Bradleys) from Iraq and Afghanistan. The MRAP in particular has been in service since 2007. It's very possible Russia was already aware of a lot of that stuff, the US lost a decent bit to combat and even more when we scrambled out of Afghanistan.
Remember when Trump announced a full withdrawl from Kurdistan in a tweet and the US military had to leave a lot of vehicles and materiel on the ground because Tucker Carlson said "The US needs to leave Kurdistan" and Trump went with the last thing anyone told him?

yeah, there were MRAPs and other stuff left behind. :chaostrump:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Cyprus is also a huge russian tourist destination. There was like Barça. The skinny folks are all russian, the red and shiny potatoes are all british, no one is local

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Was it Cyprus or Malta that Russians would buy an easy to obtain passport from said country for EU access which caused a tonne of anger amongst other EU countries.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Runa posted:

potato salad, potato salad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an289RSt1Cc

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Tai posted:

Was it Cyprus or Malta that Russians would buy an easy to obtain passport from said country for EU access which caused a tonne of anger amongst other EU countries.

Malta, though apparently they stopped processing applications from Russians and Belarussians a little over a year ago

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_22_2068

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The busiest McDonald's in the world is the one on Pushkinskaya Square in Moscow

Wait, was

Poor Russians couldn't even claim the title of Worst McDonald's Ever.