Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Night10194 posted:

E: On Portal Storms, there's something hilarious about the fact that an eldritch portal storm is best solved by going to the basement, putting on earplugs, and reading or going to sleep until it tuckers out.

If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Does anyone have any advice for fighting Mi-Go? They are awfully tough.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

JerikTelorian posted:

Does anyone have any advice for fighting Mi-Go? They are awfully tough.

Wait til closeish, burst of assault rifle. They will flee when at risk of death.

What weapons do you have avail?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wouldn't take a Mi-go on without either a gun or a high-quality weapon. They'll shred an unprepared early-game character.

If you don't have that, then you can at least make it do some work for you by kiting it into a zombie horde. It'll probably clear a couple blocks worth of zombies for you.

Alternatively: a car is the answer to basically every "how do I beat x" question in CDDA.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I have an M4 with an abundance of ammo. I scrounged an M14 EBR and a Remington 700 with some sniper gear, but I don't have a whole lot in the way of full power cartridges. I'm wondering if I can use the Remington to smack them outside their attack range, but man their guns hurt.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

JerikTelorian posted:

"WE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO REACH YOU ABOUT YOUR CAR'S EXTENDED WARRANTY"

And they patched out mininukes. :(

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Standard Mi-Go aren't quite as dangerous as they look, but yeah, scouts and guards are bastards. Standard Mi-Go an M4 will kill them easily, especially if you swap targets the moment one is wounded enough to back off. At which point they're probably bleeding to death anyway. For scouts my solution was just to wear a ballistic vest, it seemed to help.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

browsing through short cdda clips is pretty neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aUQ1JiOvjw

the entire cdda experience in 15 seconds

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So apparently it's possible to make your own faction base now. I'm kind of curious about the process and where a good place to set up is. Can I take over anything? It feels like taking over a farm would be ideal, but I read that there are only certain locations that are supported?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Dirk the Average posted:

So apparently it's possible to make your own faction base now. I'm kind of curious about the process and where a good place to set up is. Can I take over anything? It feels like taking over a farm would be ideal, but I read that there are only certain locations that are supported?

Depends what you want. Faction camps occupy 9 map tiles in a square, and you can't replace anything that's already got stuff in it, so if you want to build everything yourself, start in an open field. If you start in a mansion, for instance, you can't really build anything, since the location is built already.

Generally the best places to start have one building in the center. That gives you 8 map tiles to build whatever you want, and it takes care of having to build a hub building, which always takes forever and doesn't add a ton of functionality by itself.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Do streets count as empty? Can you build new facilities on them?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Grenades are weirdly random weapons but I've come to appreciate them. Well, not 'weirdly', since it's modeling that the fragments are one of the main killing tools of a frag grenade, just I've learned you really want to have someplace to hide after throwing one.

I also learned that since throwing it doesn't make much noise and the explosion does, at night, zombies will come to investigate and set themselves up for a second grenade.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Night10194 posted:

Standard Mi-Go aren't quite as dangerous as they look, but yeah, scouts and guards are bastards. Standard Mi-Go an M4 will kill them easily, especially if you swap targets the moment one is wounded enough to back off. At which point they're probably bleeding to death anyway. For scouts my solution was just to wear a ballistic vest, it seemed to help.

Towing a shopping cart everywhere is also a good scout counter if you're tough enough to tank one hit and still win a fight (very doable unless you're extremely earlygame, imo). When you get shot, run around to the opposite side of the cart, crouch, and get ready to blast the scout that'll come trundling around looking for you.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Set up a faction base in a fire lookout. I'll report how setup goes. Still gotta build a cabin but the existing facilities are nice, open tiles all around.

I know you can debug to body swap. A mechanic to do that normally if your main dues or retires would be cool.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Vib Rib posted:

Do streets count as empty? Can you build new facilities on them?

In the past you could only start a freeform faction base in an empty field--I don't know if that's still the case, but I expect it is.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
just drove my APC/RV over a landmine (possibly 2, the log was very confusing) in the fog at night coming off a bridge. character unharmed, vehicle written off completely. very demoralising.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sab Sabbington posted:

In the past you could only start a freeform faction base in an empty field--I don't know if that's still the case, but I expect it is.

Firestations work too, as do evac shelters, both have roads nearby.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Synthbuttrange posted:

browsing through short cdda clips is pretty neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aUQ1JiOvjw

the entire cdda experience in 15 seconds

:hai:

drid is a fun dude who streams almost daily on twitch.tv (username dridlicious). currently taking a break from CDDA.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Grabbed the newest version and the fleeing humans scared me a bit at first then I realized they were pretty good zombie bait :v

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

thatbastardken posted:

just drove my APC/RV over a landmine (possibly 2, the log was very confusing) in the fog at night coming off a bridge. character unharmed, vehicle written off completely. very demoralising.

You drove over a roadblock. Bridges will frequently have a roadblock set up on one or sometimes even both sides of the bridge. you don't want to drive in the area between the barbed wire fence and the signposts because this area is a minefield. You want to go around these if you can.

If you're night driving, use headlights and drive slowly when moving into unexplored areas. Headlights are one of the easier items to replace and absolutely essential so if they break you should immediately repair the damage.

JerikTelorian posted:

I have an M4 with an abundance of ammo. I scrounged an M14 EBR and a Remington 700 with some sniper gear, but I don't have a whole lot in the way of full power cartridges. I'm wondering if I can use the Remington to smack them outside their attack range, but man their guns hurt.

Migo scouts can be brutal but they die real real easy to bullets and will generally die faster than many zombies do if you're shooting them successfully

Prioritize scouts when you see them. The m14 should be able to reliably hit scouts with a precise shot before they're able to hit you provided you have decent gun skill

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 30, 2023

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Firestations work too, as do evac shelters, both have roads nearby.

I guess what I mean by "freeform" is "not in an existing building at all." So like you can start a faction camp in a grass field and have full choice over what you build on all of the tiles, but I don't know if you can do that on anything else that isn't a grass field.

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Migo scouts can be brutal but they die real real easy to bullets and will generally die faster than many zombies do if you're shooting them successfully

Yeah, broadly you just have to treat them like a hostile survivor with a gun--though they actually fire less frequently in my experience so they can be a bit easier to manage as long as you can either drop them at range or close the gap.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Thanks for the advice on Mi-Go. I kinda want to try and clear a tower but I know it's pretty involved.

What are people's thoughts on crossbows? I tried using one after watching Worm Girl clean up the mall using a bow and I figured it would be comparable. Boy was I mistaken; the reload time is glacial. Maybe I'm just missing something but they really do not seem to be particularly useful over bows or guns.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crossbows are bows that are slow and suck.

Griz
May 21, 2001

pistol crossbow might be useful for hunting small game without vaporizing them, regular crossbow seems mostly useless unless you can one-shot everything you're shooting

but does it let you wear multiple loaded heavy crossbows and swap them out after firing? if you have proficiencies it might be worth trying

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Crossbows aren't great. Pistol crossbows and repeating crossbows, the only ones with "okay" reload, do garbage damage. With a lot of skill, crossbows can be useful for opening up on zombies with preloaded shots before moving to melee, but by the time you get to that point, you probably have enough melee skill/armor for regular zombies to no longer be a threat and enough guns and ammo for handling the tougher zombies for the crossbow to be moot.

Many years ago I played a crossbow focused character, I kept like 4 loaded crossbows on my person and swapped between them to fight. It was fun, but not very "good."

I haven't tried explosive bolts, though, those might be fun.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 31, 2023

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Crossbows are in a similar place to where bows were a while ago, where they're intentionally designed to be bad because they're supposed to be designed to work in a "realistic" way and nobody coded the part that makes them able to be viable weapons yet.

When someone adds external cocking devices such as windlasses and cranequins and code to allow reload time to vary based on how much force you can exert on it then crossbows will be able to be half decent

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I would go so far as to say regular bows still suck way more than they need to. They've had all their damage moved into crits, so regular arrow shots are terrible but a crit can kill a zombie in a single hit.
The problem is crit chance is heavily tied to overall accuracy, which is tied to distance, so in practice I just find myself lining up a zombie and waiting until it's 1 foot away before shooting, guaranteeing a crit. Even from just a few tiles away my crit chance drops dramatically and the bow becomes a peashooter. So it ends up functioning more like a melee weapon you have to charge up than a ranged weapon.

Actually no, there's a second problem: they're a hardcoded damage threshold that bows have to exceed before they can even roll for a crit. So weaker bows can never get crits and are even more worthless than their low damage stat indicates. Depending on your strength you'll need a pretty modern bow to be able to get any crits at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

If you're night driving, use headlights and drive slowly when moving into unexplored areas. Headlights are one of the easier items to replace and absolutely essential so if they break you should immediately repair the damage.

I generally find it helpful to mount lights above the windscreen, or otherwise behind some quarterpanels, rather than directly on the front of the vehicle for this reason. They're fairly easy to fiddle with so slapping a bunch more on the vehicle in more protected locations is a good idea.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I don't think there will really ever be a strong case to be made for crossbows, and IRL they are much shittier than bows by pretty much every metric. The one thing they do better (keeping loaded without arm strain) is not really mechanically relevant in CDDA after the first shot, because you're almost always fighting hordes of things.

Crossbows in the middle ages allowed lines of professional soldiers to spend 30 seconds loading a windlass-drawn bow so they could put one bolt into a charging army while being covered by their pavise and pikemen. That was only worth it because stick bows couldn't get that kind of force despite their much higher rate of fire, and I'm guessing after maybe the third shot the guys had to retreat or switch to melee.

Nowadays, compound crossbows are only a little bit more powerful than compound bows. I'm not totally sure how fast a bolt from a medieval arbalest moves, or what it weighs, but I wouldn't be surprised if the huge medieval crossbows bows have lovely velocity despite the enormous draw weight.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

worm girl posted:

I don't think there will really ever be a strong case to be made for crossbows, and IRL they are much shittier than bows by pretty much every metric. The one thing they do better (keeping loaded without arm strain) is not really mechanically relevant in CDDA after the first shot, because you're almost always fighting hordes of things.

Crossbows in the middle ages allowed lines of professional soldiers to spend 30 seconds loading a windlass-drawn bow so they could put one bolt into a charging army while being covered by their pavise and pikemen. That was only worth it because stick bows couldn't get that kind of force despite their much higher rate of fire, and I'm guessing after maybe the third shot the guys had to retreat or switch to melee.

Nowadays, compound crossbows are only a little bit more powerful than compound bows. I'm not totally sure how fast a bolt from a medieval arbalest moves, or what it weighs, but I wouldn't be surprised if the huge medieval crossbows bows have lovely velocity despite the enormous draw weight.

If I remember correctly crossbows also had the advantage of being dirt simple to use when compared to a longbow. You can train someone to use a crossbow fairly easily, since it's pretty much just winch, load, point, shoot. Longbows take significantly more training to fire accurately.

For the same reason, a lot of people bow hunt with a crossbow; it's much more similar to using a gun, and you don't have to aim while holding the tension on the bow. The refire rate is awful, but if you're taking one shot from stealth, crossbows are a good deal.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Vib Rib posted:

I know the Sky Islands guy, I'll see if I can poke him to update the mod if goons are clamoring for it.
I'm not going to necessarily take credit for it but I have been informed Sky Islands has just now been updated and should be compatible again. No idea ATM if we got any new features or changes, or if this is just a compatibility update, but here goes.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
So I've run out of wholesome food (meat/vegetables) and multivitamins a few weeks ago. My character has been eating candy since then, and is constantly very hungry and underweight. Is the constant hunger a result of vitamin deficiency, or is it more because I am consuming too few calories? I assumed that 3000 calories per day would be enough, but I get the message that even though my stomach is full I feel like I haven't eaten enough.

I've set up some solar panels and car batteries as a vehicle and connected it to the power grid in my base. However, I've found that the power grid will only draw power while the solar panels are in sunlight, and will not draw power from the charged batteries at night time. How do I make a power grid draw from car batteries and/or the small/medium batteries?

EDIT: I can get it to work if I install the olar panels and batteries as appliances. Is there no other way to let a grid draw power from a vehicles batteries?

Corsec fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 2, 2023

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Corsec posted:

So I've run out of wholesome food (meat/vegetables) and multivitamins a few weeks ago. My character has been eating candy since then, and is constantly very hungry and underweight. Is the constant hunger a result of vitamin deficiency, or is it more because I am consuming too few calories? I assumed that 3000 calories per day would be enough, but I get the message that even though my stomach is full I feel like I haven't eaten enough.

I've set up some solar panels and car batteries as a vehicle and connected it to the power grid in my base. However, I've found that the power grid will only draw power while the solar panels are in sunlight, and will not draw power from the charged batteries at night time. How do I make a power grid draw from car batteries and/or the small/medium batteries?

EDIT: I can get it to work if I install the olar panels and batteries as appliances. Is there no other way to let a grid draw power from a vehicles batteries?

Satiation and calories are different things. Drinking water restores hunger as well, but obviously does not have any calories. Candy goes through your system quickly, so you'll find yourself hungry even when you gorge on it.

It might not be a bad idea to raid some houses though - I find a lot of multivitamins in bathrooms, and night raids are relatively straightforward even in more populated areas.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Corsec posted:

I'm really bad at the game, so I might be off, but I think if you have a powered cell phone, you automatically do calorie counting and activity tracking, so you can see calories in/out and vitamins.

I had problems with weight before I realized that I was eating too much stuff like boiled fiddleheads. Filling, but not calorically dense, so I'd be full but still not have the calories I needed.

If you're losing weight then you just need to eat more.

Edit:
Just read the previous post and saw "goes through your system quickly." Why can't it ever be easy!?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just read the previous post and saw "goes through your system quickly." Why can't it ever be easy!?

To be fair, I was speaking not in terms of game mechanics, but in terms of low satiety. Salads are filling, but calorically sparse. Candy is calorie dense, but not filling.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

worm girl posted:

I think balance wise, and concept wise, it should be possible to make crossbows which you can use with minimal strength, either through windlass or goats-foot mechanisms, utilizing mechanical and metallurgical skill.

That would be a use for them, as a weapon that can be made by skill focused characters that aren't developing the physical capability to use a bow.

Equally, you could expand the technology to make things like a roman scorpio, or a ballista for vehicle mounting, giving you the capablilty to attack big threats from extreme range, which would dovetail well with the mechanics focus. And you could combine the ammunition with things like explosive payloads so you can use them to sling bombs over very long range.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 2, 2023

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Food is just calories in, calories out. Hunger is almost totally irrelevant, it's just a measure of your stomach contents. The only thing you need to pay attention to is your weight, and it makes basically no difference what you're eating besides its caloric density and size affecting how quickly you will gain weight.

Construction, vehicle work, digging, woodcutting, forging, and welding can easily push your calorie costs above 5000 per day. This is consistent with real life, but IRL you would not be willing to work that hard unless someone had a gun aimed at you. In CDDA you can unwittingly (due to time compression while crafting) get thousands of calories into debt with just a couple day's work. The messaging is unclear, so if you're not counting calories and expenditure, you might be fooled into thinking you're eating enough but something is still draining your calories. Players will often incorrectly assume they have a tapeworm because after several days of eating 2000 calories, they're still underweight.

This is all very logically sound, but seems completely insane to a casual player. Hunger, even if you're not in any danger of starvation, can become such a pressing and distracting need IRL that a person at a healthy weight can become unwilling to work after just a few hours without food. Most people also wouldn't be able to easily burn more than a few hundred calories in a single workout, and might even injure themselves trying.

Hunger in CDDA is not distracting to your character at all, blood sugar doesn't exist, and weariness will never stop you from doing work. Your guy is just a robot, calories are gasoline, and the stomach is not a gas tank, it's just a place where food is converted into fuel. Its present implementation feels like a Redditor's idea of how food works, but it will probably become a lot more annoying to people when someone eventually gets around to doing macronutrients and hunger pains.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 2, 2023

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Dirk the Average posted:

If I remember correctly crossbows also had the advantage of being dirt simple to use when compared to a longbow. You can train someone to use a crossbow fairly easily, since it's pretty much just winch, load, point, shoot. Longbows take significantly more training to fire accurately.

For the same reason, a lot of people bow hunt with a crossbow; it's much more similar to using a gun, and you don't have to aim while holding the tension on the bow. The refire rate is awful, but if you're taking one shot from stealth, crossbows are a good deal.

Yeah it took literally years to train a decent longbowman, not to mention the minimum strength required.

By comparison a crossbow was really quick to drill people on.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 2, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Satiation and calories are different things. Drinking water restores hunger as well, but obviously does not have any calories. Candy goes through your system quickly, so you'll find yourself hungry even when you gorge on it.

It might not be a bad idea to raid some houses though - I find a lot of multivitamins in bathrooms, and night raids are relatively straightforward even in more populated areas.

i forgot what thread i was in and thought i was in a diet and fitness thread until i got to the second paragraph here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Are portal storms borked? Apparently they're supposed to be localized and centered around a tile now but whenever I grab my hub camcorder and go to check them out nothing is happening. No voices, no ghosts, no time fuckery, nothing. And i don't get any data for hanging around either that I can tell.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 3, 2023