Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Sloppy posted:

Snowrunner's on a decent sale, but all these passes and DLC are kinda a turnoff. Is it just stupid skins and poo poo, or is a lot of the good stuff gated?

Snowrunner alone is worth it. If you want more Snowrunner, you buy the map DLCs, because they are all just more and more Snowrunner. Snowrunner fuckin rules. All of the DLC is good, except maybe the racing-oriented one.

EDIT: the Seasons, specifically. Don't bother buying any vehicle DLCs, don't need them at all. Some people just love trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Awesome, thanks guys.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

I like how they even misspell their own game in that apology. AI has just a little bit more to go it seems.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Orv posted:

Cube World is back. Again. Somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV02AHItgV4
I can't wait to find out how this somehow makes the game even worse.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

explosivo posted:

Gedonia updated this week with a new zone and endgame improvements and a max level bump in what seems like might be the last major update before the dev starts working on a new project. I started that and thought it was actually pretty cool but trailed off after an hour or so. Might have to hop back in there to put some more time into it. It's also on sale for $10 right now so if you were on the fence now's a pretty good time to check it out.

I was one of the people who had a real good time with Gedonia despite the jank and recommended it to a lot of people. However after trying the new release a bit, I have the same issue as with any game I played a lot which then gets additional content - I simply didn't feel like continuing anymore after some time. Earlier had the same issue with V Rising, even if all the nice updates I started playing and then just went "I don't feel like building everything from scratch again".

But yeah if you haven't played Gedonia now is probably the best time for some jank ARPG good times.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

While starting from scratch again kinda sucks it's fun to have an excuse to build a brand new castle (especially now that there's z-levels).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GrandpaPants posted:

Rad Codex, the developer of some of the best Tactical RPGs on Steam, announced a new game, Kingsvein. They also pushed an update on Horizon's Gate which is also nuts to me since that game is years old now.

Oh yeah, I am super hyped for Kingsvein.

Getting ability tokens from founding ports is a huge QoL update to HG, hot drat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Holy poo poo when did this launch? :stare:

I'd heard in passing years ago that the rights were tied up due to NCSoft just sitting on the IP after CoH was dead. When did they manage to solve all that? I'm really out of the loop, but drat that's amazing! CoH was one of my favorite nostalgic MMOs from back in the day. Looking forward to giving it a try this weekend!

It was 2019! I remember because it launched right around the time my dad was really going downhill and it was a complete lifesaver for me getting back into it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Holy poo poo when did this launch? :stare:

I'd heard in passing years ago that the rights were tied up due to NCSoft just sitting on the IP after CoH was dead. When did they manage to solve all that? I'm really out of the loop, but drat that's amazing! CoH was one of my favorite nostalgic MMOs from back in the day. Looking forward to giving it a try this weekend!

There was a group of people secretly running a server for god knows how many years. Eventually someone who knew about it got pissed off and revealed it to the outside world, and NCSoft just never came down on it, so it's been running in the open for years now.

I think there were talks with NCSoft at some point after it went public, so maybe there was an agreement made. I've noticed that their fundraising for running the servers asks for a specific amount, and when they reach that amount they just turn off donations for the rest of the month, instead of taking extra. Maybe part of the agreement to not profit on the server?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I for one welcome the era of Day One Apologies

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Leal posted:

I for one welcome the era of Day One Apologies

Weak.

Pre-Release Apologies is where it's at.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jack Trades posted:

Weak.

Sounds like Kickstarter

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Weak.

Hand written apology letters would be a nice pre-order add-on.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Pro move would be to let the biggest donor write the apology as a reward tier.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm sorry, but does anyone honestly think that Gollum was "super hyped"? It was a game nobody wanted from a barely known studio who made crappy adventure games.

It wasn't some super hyped AAA event, it was something that even if it worked, should have only been $40 and not $60.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jack Trades posted:

Weak.

Didn’t Cyberpunk have one of those?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Parallelwoody posted:

I can feel a change in the universe, as if multiple execs are now taking notes furiously and then patting themselves in the back for this idea "they" just had.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Weak.

"I wish the booklets that came in video game cases would make a return" <monkey paw curls>

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ymgve posted:

Didn’t Cyberpunk have one of those?

Multiple.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Parallelwoody posted:

lol, bang on.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Im_Special posted:

I like how they even misspell their own game in that apology. AI has just a little bit more to go it seems.

Truly, Gollum is the Lord of Ring.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Jossar posted:

Oh hey, another complication to my purchasing of stuff: Tale of Immortal finally released into 1.0 out of early access and is having a sale/offering the $3 DLC for free. Time to finally admit to myself whether the bad reputation scares me away from it forever or the fact that it's a semi-palatable xianxia game means I buckle into buying.

*stumbles out blearily after having cultivated for 13 of the last 19 hours*

Okay. Okay! Listen...

Tale of Immortal is probably the closest we're going to get to a good xianxia game ever.

Does that mean it's a good game? Uh...

Yes? Maybe?

The gameplay is split between traversing around an overworld map to do quests and sect activities and random events, while you fight on a more detailed, smaller arena, in a sort of bullet hell-ish ARPG.

This is just scratching the surface of it, there are a bajillion systems, starting at character creation. But unlike say Scroll of Taiwu, which I found utterly impenetrable, they aren't so impenetrable as to be unmanageable.

I guess a good example of that is Sect Management. There's a whole big deal with upgrading your sect or climbing the ranks within it, but even as an officer, you don't need to super-micro manage things for peak efficiency, you just need to give a general plan of what you want to do and the AI carries things out to the best of its ability. If you want to play absentee landlord while you go off gallivanting around the countryside, the game doesn't punish you for it.

This might just be an easy-mode thing though, even on Normal (the easiest difficulty setting) and having gotten all of the best cultivation foundations for my character, the game is starting to get tougher, having made it to the second zone (for tiers III-IV). Sometime before the zone ends, I feel like I am going to need to have a cohesive, coherent strategy going forward, at least for fighting. And you might need to start pressing for every advantage you can once you notch the difficulty up.

This brings us to one of the many elephants in the room, grinding. Getting xp is surprisingly easy! It only takes me a couple of minutes to burst through an entire tier and its subtiers just by meditating in the clan hall or running around finding Qi locuses. But once you get to the end of the tier, there's a really intense bottleneck, and the grind for the materials to overcome that is what takes up the majority of your playtime. And this part gets really grindy, especially if you're going for the best possible foundation at each level, which the game encourages you to do because the stat bonuses are so much better than just taking the easy route. I'm doing a relatively minimalist playthrough just to learn the game, on the closest thing the game has to a tutorial route (the Dragon Sect fate rolled up at character creation), on the easiest difficulty setting, and it's still taken me 13 hours to get to the beginning of the fourth out of ten ascension tiers.

(Also you can still fail and then get zapped with tribulation lightning, although so far it's just been a "don't die and you still complete the tier" punishment, with no real consequences beyond that. Not sure if that's going to get worse at higher levels.)

Weirdly enough, this runs contrary to a different problem I have, where even with all the grinding I'm doing, I feel like I'm running lightyears ahead of any NPCs I actually stop to build a relationship with. Again, maybe this is because I'm on Normal and I would naturally be stuck in lower tiers for longer on higher difficulty settings, but it feels weird that I'm hitting Tier IV while even the most advanced people I was hanging out with on the first map are still stuck at the bottleneck for Tier II. It kind of encourages you to not really get too close to anybody beyond casual friendship because otherwise you're investing a lot in someone who just can't catch up unless you spend a lot of time feeding them resources, more than it would take to become good friends with somebody at the next zone up.

(Although I guess this is appropriate for the genre, so... well done? Also, I don't know what's up with the naming scheme here. Maybe somebody put on Coiling Dragon mode to get everybody to have Westernized first names?)

And of course, it wouldn't be a wuxia/xianxia game with a bunch of issues that have nothing to do with the core gameplay, but just navigating the drat thing. Most players literally can't start the game without deleting the version.dll and repairing the game files. A whole bunch of quests/events never got translated out of Chinese (although these are all pretty minor and I've generally been impressed by the translation). The game used to ping people's antivirus software for reasons that may or may not be tied to the game getting massively review bombed in China because they tried to force players to be unable to mod the game outside their own proprietary software rather than Steam, before backing down on it.

But...

If you've played a lot of terrible wuxia MMOs like I have, all the bad stuff is pretty much familiar territory. So to that certain kind of person, I say: if all the above problems didn't dissuade you from playing Age of Wushu, this game's gonna be like catnip.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 27, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/ForeverEntert/status/1662112577113956355

:sigh:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

4 days until Slayers X....

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Randallteal posted:

They should make an actual open world walking simulator LOTR game. Actually I'm surprised they haven't made a multiplayer survival game or something out of it. Scrounge for potatoes and stealth around ringwraiths or whatever.

There’s a Minecraft mod for that: https://lotrminecraftmod.fandom.com/wiki/Lord_of_the_Rings_Mod

I actually haven’t gone back since getting a computer capable of running it w/ all the fancy graphics mods, but it does seem like a decent “walk around middle earth and see stuff” with the huge caveat all the stuff is made of voxels.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You know with AOW4 coming out recently it's crazy to me that no one has yet attempted to make, to my knowledge, a Lord of the Rings 4X. You have an absolutely iconic overworld map, a full roster of fantasy races with different government systems and sub-factions within them, the confluence of magic and technological research, varying levels of diplomatic relations, and monarchical bloodlines. Who wouldn't want to see the Hobbits create magical nukes and seize Middle-Earth for themselves?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

exquisite tea posted:

Who wouldn't want to see the Hobbits create magical nukes and seize Middle-Earth for themselves?

I guarantee the final answer to this question is "The Tolkein Estate", sadly.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

secretly best girl posted:

I guarantee the final answer to this question is "The Tolkein Estate", sadly.

I mean they didn't seem to have a problem with Gollum, which is a much greater crime imo

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It would also validate giant eagle spam as the best way to deliver the ring.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

It would also validate giant eagle spam as the best way to deliver the ring.

This is the real reason. They're afraid of the truth.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

You know with AOW4 coming out recently it's crazy to me that no one has yet attempted to make, to my knowledge, a Lord of the Rings 4X. You have an absolutely iconic overworld map, a full roster of fantasy races with different government systems and sub-factions within them, the confluence of magic and technological research, varying levels of diplomatic relations, and monarchical bloodlines. Who wouldn't want to see the Hobbits create magical nukes and seize Middle-Earth for themselves?

On one hand I think it would be a great fit for a Total War game but on the other hand I don't think it would be meaningfully different from Total Warhammer. Maybe someone will make a cool Total Warhammer LOTR mod though

Playing certain factions in Total Warhammer (like wood elves for example) feels very LotR sometimes already

Orv
May 4, 2011
Actually the Middle Earth map is terribly balanced. In this essay I will

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Essay? Let me know when you make it a 4 hour youtube video please

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kazil posted:

Essay? Let me know when you make it a 4 hour youtube video please

With a NordVPN sponsorship

Orv
May 4, 2011
This must be how Hbomberguy feels all the time

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

*gestures at bfme2 again*

and yeah, it's likely licensing bullshit

companies that are capable of knocking that out of the park may not want or be able to tackle that particular ball of rear end in a top hat

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

GrandpaPants posted:

Rad Codex, the developer of some of the best Tactical RPGs on Steam, announced a new game, Kingsvein. They also pushed an update on Horizon's Gate which is also nuts to me since that game is years old now.

Oooh this looks closer to my favorite game of theirs: Voidspire Tactics. I didn't like the stuff they added in Alvora (random generation) and HG (all the ship stuff which is pretty much everything in that, I refunded it)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yeah i actually did like horizon's gate but I'm very happy to see a more handcrafted dungeoncrawling experience again, with the iterative improvements from HG's tactical system carried over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I had no idea Front Mission Remakes were coming. So happy to hear this, and sad that it got delayed. It’s too bad it looks to only be coming out for Switch at this time.