Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Twincityhacker posted:

Subway pushes accounted for 25 deaths in Neq York City in 2022. Pedesteian deaths was 25 that year.

That's the number of pedestrian deaths in Manhattan. The number of pedestrian deaths across all of NYC in 2022 was 255.

25 isn't the number of subway push deaths, it's the number of subway pushes, most of which were non-fatal. As far as I can tell, subway pushes accounted for just 3 deaths in 2022, out of 88 total track fatalities. The top two reasons for unauthorized people to end up on the tracks are "unauthorized occupancy" (i.e., homelessness) and mental illness. Those two alone account for more than half of "track trespassing" incidents.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s definitely a thing professionals that work in Manhattan (usually women) are worrying quite a lot about right now. Their richer managers tend to come in on the LIRR or other train lines and not the subway.

Regardless of the actuality of the safety of the lines, the perception that the subway isn’t safe for women is in and of itself a problem.

The problem is that the media is fanning the flames and encouraging that perception, and that people who ought to know better are buying into that narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
The express trains are the best part of the NYC subway, confused tourists be damned. Nothing better than flying past 3-4 stations at a time if you're trying to get from Brooklyn to Uptown. The stretch from Columbus Circle to Harlem on the D train is particularly awesome.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does the NYC subway close for the night? Because the Paris one does or did. I remember this very clearly because I was Very Drunk and could not use the metro to get to my hotel, and I tried hailing a taxi but people kept walking up the street ahead of me to hail a taxi first and this kept going on forever. We walked home that night and it was bad times the next morning.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

There's also how much insurance companies are practicing medicine without a license.

This might be the key to destroying the current private insurance regime. And as I've sworn a blood oath to attempt to destroy as a condition of a freedom from capitalism pressure to work 13 hours a day.

All for medical professionals reading this thread to provide examples of insurance companies overriding medically assigned therapy rejected.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Main Paineframe posted:

That's the number of pedestrian deaths in Manhattan. The number of pedestrian deaths across all of NYC in 2022 was 255.

25 isn't the number of subway push deaths, it's the number of subway pushes, most of which were non-fatal. As far as I can tell, subway pushes accounted for just 3 deaths in 2022, out of 88 total track fatalities. The top two reasons for unauthorized people to end up on the tracks are "unauthorized occupancy" (i.e., homelessness) and mental illness. Those two alone account for more than half of "track trespassing" incidents.

The problem is that the media is fanning the flames and encouraging that perception, and that people who ought to know better are buying into that narrative.

There's a large spectrum of feeling unsafe on the subway that's not quantified by deaths alone. Obviously the people getting pushed on the tracks get the most media attention, but outside of that someone might feel afraid from a raving homeless person, or a group of drunk guys looking for trouble, or from getting accosted by an aggressive panhandler, or getting kicked in the face by a showtime kid, or getting groped by the creepy dude standing next to you. If you ride the subway with any regularity you are going to run into those sorts of things. It certainly feels like those sorts of incidents have been happening more, though it's hard to prove with any data since the vast majority of them go unreported.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Express trains, so confusing for tourists and locals alike, only an place would use them.

Like *check notes* every major city in Japan, noted for it's bad transit lines.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

All of this talk about bad metros in major cities and here I am in Seattle eyeballing a rail line that bisects the city and a bus line which seems to get smaller and shittier every year.

Like seriously before the train was built the bus lines in Seattle are basically impossible to navigate without a phone app because they're all 'optimized' to poo poo to only service certain places are certain times of days, completely undermining the point of a bus system, which is to reliably get somewhere when you need to. After, it's somehow worse, because the train is assumed to replace the need for busses, and meanwhile the train has like, 3 convenient stops on its entire line.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Express trains, so confusing for tourists and locals alike, only an place would use them.

Like *check notes* every major city in Japan, noted for it's bad transit lines.

I’m not against the concept of express trains. But NYC doesn’t advertise them, at all. No schedules, no signs, nothing. If you’re not overly vigilant you’ll get on a train you think you need and get whisked off to loving Oz

I would imagine Japan probably has that info readily available, but maybe not

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does the NYC subway close for the night? Because the Paris one does or did. I remember this very clearly because I was Very Drunk and could not use the metro to get to my hotel, and I tried hailing a taxi but people kept walking up the street ahead of me to hail a taxi first and this kept going on forever. We walked home that night and it was bad times the next morning.

The NYC subway operates 24/7, but trains start getting fewer and farther between late at night.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If you want a metro rail line that simple to use might I suggest MARTA.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Judgy Fucker posted:

I’m not against the concept of express trains. But NYC doesn’t advertise them, at all. No schedules, no signs, nothing. If you’re not overly vigilant you’ll get on a train you think you need and get whisked off to loving Oz

The express trains and their stops are clearly labeled on the subway map (white dots for express stops; also each train is labeled on each stop). I think what confuses most tourists is that the map groups multiple trains with a single color, so tourists assume that one color = one train.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
When I was last in NYC 10 years ago google maps got me everywhere easily via subway. Or an ap did.

Google Maps definitely got me through Tokyo easily.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mendrian posted:

All of this talk about bad metros in major cities and here I am in Seattle eyeballing a rail line that bisects the city and a bus line which seems to get smaller and shittier every year.

Like seriously before the train was built the bus lines in Seattle are basically impossible to navigate without a phone app because they're all 'optimized' to poo poo to only service certain places are certain times of days, completely undermining the point of a bus system, which is to reliably get somewhere when you need to. After, it's somehow worse, because the train is assumed to replace the need for busses, and meanwhile the train has like, 3 convenient stops on its entire line.

Seattle's rail line has the same problem as Houston - they didn't start building it until it was far too late to secure cheap real estate and get it established. It also suffers from having too many turns (due to expensive real estate and lack of willing sellers) - efficient inner city rail benefits from straight shots, as every turn reduces speed and efficiency. Houston's METRORail has been in development longer than Seattle's and still suffers from extremely limited service and only inside the city core. Rail out to either of the airports here is still a pipe dream at this point.

It doesn't help that Houston's METRO system is wildly corrupt, I don't know about Seattle.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Judgy Fucker posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Here is the subway map: https://new.mta.info/map/5256

It clearly indicates what's a local stop and what's an express stop.

Any unusual changes are posted on signs in the station.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Seattle transit suffered enormously from regional transit planning and funding being coordinated at the state level. While this might sound good in abstract, in practice the result was that everywhere that wasn't Seattle refused to pay a dime for Seattle transit; it kneecapped everything.

There was an earlier attempt at a mass transit system that was going to build out the monorail (as opposed to the current completely separate light rail system.). IIRC they got so far as buying the right of way and land for the stations before the one of the yearly state propositions to cancel its funding succeeded and all that effort was wasted.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Ither posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Here is the subway map: https://new.mta.info/map/5256

It clearly indicates what's a local stop and what's an express stop.

Any unusual changes are posted on signs in the station.

In the four days I spent in NYC in 2014 I never once saw a map that provided that kind of information. I may have been unlucky or blind, but any which way navigating the New York subway was significantly more difficult than any of the other subway systems I've used. Which is to say, every other one was very easy and intuitive and New York's was not at all as a visitor.

And to the above poster re: Google Maps, that probably would've helped a bunch but I still had a flip phone at that point.

I'm sorry for the navigating-subways tangent, subway talk was current events related until I posted so I'll stop.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

Seattle's rail line has the same problem as Houston - they didn't start building it until it was far too late to secure cheap real estate and get it established. It also suffers from having too many turns (due to expensive real estate and lack of willing sellers) - efficient inner city rail benefits from straight shots, as every turn reduces speed and efficiency. Houston's METRORail has been in development longer than Seattle's and still suffers from extremely limited service and only inside the city core. Rail out to either of the airports here is still a pipe dream at this point.

It doesn't help that Houston's METRO system is wildly corrupt, I don't know about Seattle.

I don't know about corrupt but it definitely doesn't serve the needs of the people that use it and nobody can raise taxes to support it so I think it's less an issue of 'corruption' and more an issue of 'openly serves the needs of capital and as an afterthought might get people to work sometimes, if they are willing to walk three miles from the rail.'

Seattle isn't 'corrupt' so much as it is working as intended. It's reputation as a liberal paradise (largely by non-liberals) has cemented its reality as a libertarian hellscape.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Willa Rogers posted:

Did Clinton sign that repeal bill or did Congress override his veto?

It looks like that was the old Gephardt Rule and was a parliamentary rule. So Clinton didn't sign or veto the bill.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

Touché. I guess it never really mattered since we never had issues getting where we wanted to in Boston.

That’s my point. I don’t think Paris (at least) even has schedules other than “next train arriving in X minutes” posted. In New York the next train arriving may skip the stop you need because it’s the express train on a Tuesday and the moon is in Virgo or whatever. It’s a bullshit system for a bullshit city

Lots of places in Brooklyn, which is geographically much, much larger than Manhattan

Lived in bj and queens for my entire time here and trains and busses are fine enough and get you pretty anywhere you need to go outside Red Hook and Staten Island.

How much time have you spent here?

E: 4 days?!!

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 27, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

No it's 24 hrs outside of a period during covid lockdown. The trains are spaced like an 1 hr apart at like 3am (ask me how I spent my twenties lol). And some trains stop service while others pick up their route.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

lobster shirt posted:

is there any indication that, finally, after this stupid farce, the democrats will seek to abolish the debt ceiling the next time they have the chance?

Democrats haven't even gotten rid of Trump's dumbest poo poo like repealing all food safety laws or the Space Force. I don't think they even understand that they can get rid of things, let alone why they should.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Democrats haven't even gotten rid of Trump's dumbest poo poo like repealing all food safety laws or the Space Force. I don't think they even understand that they can get rid of things, let alone why they should.

Could you describe where Trump "repealed all food safety laws"?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Space Force isn't a dumb idea, as mentioned here:

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yes, and there's a good chance they'll increase in relative importance over the next several decades within the US DoD. It's unlikely they'll ever be a coequal branch like Navy/AF/Army, but the potential for increased militarization of space is still there - and having an established specialized force to deal with it isn't a bad idea. Hell, even prior to becoming an independent service branch under USAF, the USAF had a dedicated space command - that's what was largely lopped off to create Space Force.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Space Force was basically just reorganizing different space-related groups in the Air Force into one department. It was something they have been recommending since 2000, but never really got done. The only real significant change in operations was that Trump thought it was cool and gave them their own uniforms. Otherwise, it was mostly an org chart restructure and a symbolic "we care about space/space is the future" statement.

You can argue that "Space Force" is a dumb name and that calling their people "Guardians" is funny - but the premise isn't a bad idea. It wasn't even new.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Space Force isn't a dumb idea, as mentioned here:

You can argue that "Space Force" is a dumb name and that calling their people "Guardians" is funny - but the premise isn't a bad idea. It wasn't even new.

Yup, the Space Force in itself is, believe it or not, the government actually being semi-proactive on an issue they had identified. Actual space traffic/control is going to just get more and more complicated over time and you at least need an organizational chart for when (not if) someone tries to do something military and/or stupid in orbit and beyond.

It's just Trump gave it his personal touch/attention so the utterly reasonable thing was now wearing clown shoes, a rainbow wig, a big red nose and grease paint.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

really the stupid thing is that other departments have no cool outfits or zany fun names. sucked in earth beauracrats, space is cool

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Nixon tried to give the secret service snazzy uniforms so there's that.

Really the joke of Space Force is the Netflix comedy poked fun at "Spaceman" as the serviceman title, and then the real US Space Force one upped them.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Morrow posted:

Nixon tried to give the secret service snazzy uniforms so there's that.

Richard Nixon did nothing wrong. That said, the... "Snazzy" uniforms were not exactly that.

I think he got the idea from the French guards or something? Needless to say, French colonialism was a bit a sore subject for presidents before Nixon, and for him too.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Did Clinton sign that repeal bill or did Congress override his veto?
House rules are set by the House and only the House; the president has no say either way in how the House conducts its business. Same for the Senate. There was no bill.

House Practice: A Guide to the Rules, Precedents and Procedures of the House, CH. 50 posted:

The Constitution empowers each House to determine the rules of its
proceedings. U.S. Const. art. I Sec. 5; Manual Sec. 58. The House may
not by its rules ignore constitutional restraints or violate
fundamental rights, and there should be a reasonable relation between
the mode or method of proceeding established by the rule and the
result that is sought. However, within these limitations, the House is
free to adopt such rules as it sees fit. Yellin v. United States, 374
U.S. 109 (1963).
It is customary for the House at the beginning of each Congress to
adopt the rules by which it is to be governed during its meetings. In
so doing, the House ordinarily will adopt the rules applicable in the
previous Congress with such amendments as it considers necessary.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Thanks.

The Wiki initially linked was confusing bc the graf about 1995 said this:

quote:

The 1995 request for a debt ceiling increase led to debate in Congress on reduction of the size of the federal government, which led to the non-passage of the federal budget, and the United States federal government shutdown of 1995–96. The ceiling was eventually increased and the government shutdown resolved.

and linked to the Wiki on the government shutdown that said this:

quote:

The first shutdown occurred after Clinton vetoed the spending bill the Republican-controlled Congress sent him, as Clinton opposed the budget cuts favored by Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and other Republicans. The first budget shutdown ended after Congress passed a temporary budget bill, but the government shut down again after Republicans and Democrats were unable to agree on a long-term budget bill. The second shutdown ended with congressional Republicans accepting Clinton's budget proposal. The first of the two shutdowns caused the furlough of about 800,000 workers, while the second caused about 284,000 workers to be furloughed.

and neither wiki said anything about congressional rule-making, only about the legislative fight over the budget.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I envy using even the shittiest subway system normally. NYC is loving garbage if you use a wheelchair.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh def agree. It's abominable to anyone that is disabled

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ffttTfH4Pg&t=81s

DeSantis trying to be subtle and indirect in calling out Trump by referring to the GOP developing a "culture of losing" is hilarious and pathetic.

Like, political messaging has to be simple and dumb and aimed at the getting through to the dumbest knuckle dragging troggs in the world.

Even political junkies like me have to squint a little for a second or two before realizing "oh hey he's talking about the fact that Trump lost where he won, and dragged the GOP to a bunch of winnable losses in the midterms".

This poo poo will easily sail over the head of 80 percent of GOP primary voters and the attack on Trump will be easily ignored or denied by the rest.

I mean, you have to literally hold up a big ugly picture of Trump (preferably the one in the tennis shorts) and say "HEY! THIS GUY IS A BIG FAT LOSER! HE LOST!!!! And he made a bunch of other GOP people lose, and picked a bunch of losing losers!"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Rappaport posted:

Richard Nixon did nothing wrong. That said, the... "Snazzy" uniforms were not exactly that.

I think he got the idea from the French guards or something? Needless to say, French colonialism was a bit a sore subject for presidents before Nixon, and for him too.

At the time he got accused of dressing them up like the palace guards of various South American tinpot dictators, which isn't entirely unlikely given, *waves in direction of Henry Kissinger.*

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Oh def agree. It's abominable to anyone that is disabled

Same with Chicago; most of the elevators are busted & if you get to a stop & need one you're S.O.L.

Someone on the Chicago reddit was relating how they saw a group of passengers banding together to carry a woman in a wheelchair down the stairs at an el stop where the elevator was broken.

For reference, this is what most el-stop stairs look like (I imagine it's similar in NYC):

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Zwabu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ffttTfH4Pg&t=81s

DeSantis trying to be subtle and indirect in calling out Trump by referring to the GOP developing a "culture of losing" is hilarious and pathetic.

Like, political messaging has to be simple and dumb and aimed at the getting through to the dumbest knuckle dragging troggs in the world.

Even political junkies like me have to squint a little for a second or two before realizing "oh hey he's talking about the fact that Trump lost where he won, and dragged the GOP to a bunch of winnable losses in the midterms".

This poo poo will easily sail over the head of 80 percent of GOP primary voters and the attack on Trump will be easily ignored or denied by the rest.

I mean, you have to literally hold up a big ugly picture of Trump (preferably the one in the tennis shorts) and say "HEY! THIS GUY IS A BIG FAT LOSER! HE LOST!!!! And he made a bunch of other GOP people lose, and picked a bunch of losing losers!"

DeSantis's current support compared to Trump is almost identical to that of RFK Jr.'s compared to Biden (roughly 20 percent to 60 percent).

No one believes that RFK Jr. will win the Dem nomination & I doubt many people think that DeSantis will win the GOP nomination.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Willa Rogers posted:

DeSantis's current support compared to Trump is almost identical to that of RFK Jr.'s compared to Biden (roughly 20 percent to 60 percent).

No one believes that RFK Jr. will win the Dem nomination & I doubt many people think that DeSantis will win the GOP nomination.

I think the difference is that while unlikely, DeSantis beating Trump is within the realm of the plausible, whereas no one without a recent severe head injury thinks RFK jr. has a realistic chance of beating Biden. Sure, I agree neither stands much of a chance, but one has at least a pathway to do so that's more likely than "incumbent president killed in bizarre blimp accident."

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The only possible way for DeSantis to win the nomination is if Trump dies, which is about as likely as Biden dying imo.

Indictment? Happened. Conviction? Happened. Outrageous statements during the televised town hall? Happened.

And his numbers stayed the same or increased after each instance.

edit: I will modify my prior post to say that, as an average across polling, DeSantis does slightly better than RFK Jr. does against their respective opponents.

But it's still funny to see how much more DeSantis is discussed as a viable candidate compared to RFK Jr.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 27, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
A conviction has not happened. There has only been a finding of civil liability.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Point taken about the conviction. Still, the heds were TRUMP FOUND GUILTY by most outlets iirc & many frog-marching photoshops made over his NYC indictment.

The guy is bulletproof for the nomination (so to speak).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Same with Chicago; most of the elevators are busted & if you get to a stop & need one you're S.O.L.

Someone on the Chicago reddit was relating how they saw a group of passengers banding together to carry a woman in a wheelchair down the stairs at an el stop where the elevator was broken.

For reference, this is what most el-stop stairs look like (I imagine it's similar in NYC):

Yeah pretty much. When I was on crutches it was hell