Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do you have a custom headstrap for the Q2 or are you using the standard one it came with? Because I had that exact same problem with the strap it comes with and it all went away once I got a decent third party one that distributes the weight more evenly. I found myself cinching it tight to my face and essentially using my brow to keep it held up but in reality it should be kinda dangling in front of your eyes with the weight distributed across your whole head. A better head strap will do that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I have the Elite strap but I still find myself cinching it pretty tight to avoid it swinging from side to side if I turn my head too fast. How do you avoid that with the kind of straps where it's just counterbalanced and hanging there?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Before my Elite strap broke I recall having to tighten the strap up top a lot more than I initially expected to make it fit better. But the far cheaper replacement I bought after the elite inevitably broke feels so much better to wear. I know some have battery packs on the back that act as a counter balance but I think it's mostly just down to the style of head strap. Going from the elite to this linked one was like night and day with regards to comfort and build quality and this one was like $40 cheaper to boot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Red Rox posted:

Has anyone else had issues with getting headaches using VR, and had any luck figuring out why or how to stop them?

I quite often get a weird headache across my head, like a line across where my eyebrows are.

I thought it was the bulky Quest 2 with all the weight in the front, but my wife brought home a Quest Pro (she helps Meta with PR lol) and even though the weight balance is way better I still had the same issue.

I thought maybe the headset was too tight, but I tried to loosen it and it almost slid off my face, so that didn’t seem to be the issue.

Maybe I’m just not cut out for VR.

Try something like the Razer 3rd-party strap, maybe? Or a Vive Deluxe Audio Strap if you have a 3D printer for the adapter mounts. It could well be the headset pressing on your brow, a strap that goes over the top of your head might help balance the weight better.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Huh, video is set to "private". Dang

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The list of things with VR that can give you a serious headache is vast and includes entries such as "Wear any VR headset" and "Play a game in VR", so I think your best bet is to just keep trying different things. Try different games, try lowering quality settings, try better straps, try counterweights, etc etc.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

Huh, video is set to "private". Dang

I can say it was taken from the Spanish site Realovirtual, and it was a first person mech game where a mech was fighting some beasts, with some hip/urban music in the background. Alas, I don't remember the name of the game (although it was common enough term that searching it on youtube wouldn't find anything relevant). They also removed the news of their site, apart from making the video private, so it seems to me they jumped some NDA by mistake.
Maybe it will be announced on June 1st on the Meta showcase?

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 26, 2023

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Godfuckingdammit, my Quest 2 starting doing a weird "install failed" on Res Evil 4 when attempting to update.

I hit retry then (after yet another 8 gig download) watched as right before my eyes, it went from "installing..." to "uininstalling" and uninstalled it, along with all my saves and settings :mad:

I was 9 hours into the game god drat it. Oculus cloud saves are even turned on but I just checked my account and there is zilch ever backed up for Res Evil 4. loving hell, man.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I suppose it’s not surprising given the current state of VR, but the Eye of the Temple dev put up a fairly candid postmortem of his first month of sales on the Quest platform and it’s looking like “only” a 2.25x multiplier over the first month’s (poor) sales for the Steam PCVR release. He thinks that he might finally break even this year (solo dev iirc).

There’s a guy further down who links to an ongoing Twitter thread that extrapolates relative sales numbers based on achievements. Some pretty crazy poo poo - Moss 2 only had ~30k Quest players with the earliest achievement, seven months after release.

I know none of this is exact, but who the hell is going to be pitching VR game development if the sequel to one of the more well known VR titles is only pushing maybe 40-50k units in half a year on the largest VR platform?

https://reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/13t6cix/my_vr_adventure_eye_of_the_temple_came_out_on/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That's a big contrast to 2 years ago when devs were saying they were getting 10x their PC sales on Quest.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

That's a big contrast to 2 years ago when devs were saying they were getting 10x their PC sales on Quest.

I always thought that couldn't be the norm, just the big success stories, and when the quest store was more empty.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also zuck going off on that whole Metaverse tangent that everyone hated when all we wanted was for GTA:SA to release

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Leathal posted:

I suppose it’s not surprising given the current state of VR, but the Eye of the Temple dev put up a fairly candid postmortem of his first month of sales on the Quest platform and it’s looking like “only” a 2.25x multiplier over the first month’s (poor) sales for the Steam PCVR release. He thinks that he might finally break even this year (solo dev iirc).

There’s a guy further down who links to an ongoing Twitter thread that extrapolates relative sales numbers based on achievements. Some pretty crazy poo poo - Moss 2 only had ~30k Quest players with the earliest achievement, seven months after release.

I know none of this is exact, but who the hell is going to be pitching VR game development if the sequel to one of the more well known VR titles is only pushing maybe 40-50k units in half a year on the largest VR platform?

https://reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/13t6cix/my_vr_adventure_eye_of_the_temple_came_out_on/

On the other hand, Gorilla Tag has had days with 90,000 concurrent users.

I unironically wonder if having the capability for game cartridges (even if it was just a branded SD card with an APK on it) would help, given the number of parents for whom the Quest 2 is mentally labeled as a game console for the kids.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I googled it and couldn't find a single relevant thing about it, but is it possible to change the type of Guardian boundary you have on the Quest 2 so that it only shows you the floor outline when you reach the edges? You could do this on the CV1, the Rift S and the Index and it seems like a very basic QOL setting, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to do it, if it's even possible.

For that matter, the "couch" option also seems to have vanished after a recent update, unless it moved or I just don't remember where it is.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Leathal posted:

He'd of went gangbusters if he would have focused on the quest earlier tbqh.

He also did jack poo poo for advertising, and has been given terrible advice along the way as to growing his title.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

It's also a room scale only title, you really limit your audience if there's no way to play seated or at least stationary

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Also zuck going off on that whole Metaverse tangent that everyone hated when all we wanted was for GTA:SA to release

Im gonna assume GTA:SA will never happen at this point

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

TIP posted:

It's also a room scale only title, you really limit your audience if there's no way to play seated or at least stationary

Oh absolutely, but stand alone most people who own one could move a coffee table or something ya know? I honestly don't know an adult that dont have space to play that game if they just like, shoved a thing out of the way somewhere.

And that game, is sooooo good. Its one of those ones you wouldn't regret moving the table for ya know?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

EbolaIvory posted:

Oh absolutely, but stand alone most people who own one could move a coffee table or something ya know? I honestly don't know an adult that dont have space to play that game if they just like, shoved a thing out of the way somewhere.

And that game, is sooooo good. Its one of those ones you wouldn't regret moving the table for ya know?

oh trust me, I enjoy when devs do something interesting with the medium and I'm not opposed to moving around or making space

but also I read the VR subreddits and there's a surprising number of people who seemingly play inside a broom closet and get mad if they even have to fully extend their arms

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

When I first got my original Quest I didn't have enough space to play Superhot, there were levels where I couldn't even pick up weapons because my closet door was in the way. People live in tiny apartments or even single small rooms, I've lived in rooms where the majority of the space was taken up by the bed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

When I first got my original Quest I didn't have enough space to play Superhot, there were levels where I couldn't even pick up weapons because my closet door was in the way. People live in tiny apartments or even single small rooms, I've lived in rooms where the majority of the space was taken up by the bed.

Yeah, there's a reason Roomscale as a game design principle was folded into Standing almost immediately in VR game development.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Yeah tons of people live in small spaces. My old apartment was tiny, I could do roomscale but I had to fold the bed into the wall and that gave me around 4' by 8', so enough room to do thrill of the fight if I didn't dodge sideways and only went back and forth like a 2D boxer.

I live in an even smaller space now so unfortunately roomscales out entirely

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VR was designed by rich boys who don’t understand the rental situation or how most apartments are claustrophobic dens

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Black August posted:

VR was designed by rich boys who don’t understand the rental situation or how most apartments are claustrophobic dens

See also: Kinect.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, there's a reason Roomscale as a game design principle was folded into Standing almost immediately in VR game development.

We just added swimming to Gorilla Tag and I am once again begging other game devs to get wise to the idea that hand based locomotion is the way to go, it gives you way more freedom than room scale plus it's more compact and can be played comfortably standing

https://twitter.com/rileyocallaghan/status/1662212775085760512

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, that looks extremely cool.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
when i moved out of the city i was able to afford a 2bedroom (for what i was paying for rent in 2012). originally the plan was for a remote office but it has since become the laundry/vr room. before then i had to slide the coffee table into a corner for "roomscale" and you can bet i lightly punched the tv once or twice

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Black August posted:

I mean, I'm far from rich, and I've always rented. I can't think of a single place I've lived I couldn't have "made a space" to vr.

TIP posted:

oh trust me, I enjoy when devs do something interesting with the medium and I'm not opposed to moving around or making space

but also I read the VR subreddits and there's a surprising number of people who seemingly play inside a broom closet and get mad if they even have to fully extend their arms

Blows my mind tbqh.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

EbolaIvory posted:

I can't think of a single place I've lived I couldn't have "made a space" to vr.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I wouldn't have had the space when I lived in Korea, and most people I knew wouldn't have either. A lot of Japan is going to be in a similar situation and the eastern cities in China (I'm in central China and I have enough space, but I'm not paying Shanghai rent.)

Those 3 are probably a huge part of the VR market.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

EbolaIvory posted:

I mean, I'm far from rich, and I've always rented. I can't think of a single place I've lived I couldn't have "made a space" to vr.

we're not dealing with a very powerful imagination here

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A tweet made me discover there is a way to see how many people have an achievement in the Quest ecosystem. You can only see him in a friend's profile (it has to be public) "news" feed, clicking on the 'news' of them getting an achievement. The interesting thing is that they don't give a % of people who got it, but the real number of people!

175K bought Marvel's Ironman (as in, they have a very basic achievement from the prologue).
725K bought Pistol Whip.
8M bought Beat Saber.
250K bought Until you Fall.
18K bought Eternal Light.
50K bought Ultrawings 2.
22K bought Sweet Surrender.
205K bought Sniper Elite VR.
77K bought Ancient Dungeon.
197k bought Waltz of the Wizard.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

is there some sort of setting on the oculus to keep it from just waking up every time its slightly jostled? i found that i have to hard power it off unless its plugged in, or else a particularly heavy truck going by will wake it up on its own

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

wow a quote is not edit here in 2023

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
My unpopular opinion: pistol whip is hella overrated !!! A flimsy pretense of dodging and shooting while you sit on a person mover

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Al! posted:

is there some sort of setting on the oculus to keep it from just waking up every time its slightly jostled? i found that i have to hard power it off unless its plugged in, or else a particularly heavy truck going by will wake it up on its own

Yes, there is a setting to turn off the 'automatic wake up'. Search it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

yanks remember they’re not the only people in the world challenge (impossible)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Lemming posted:

We just added swimming to Gorilla Tag and I am once again begging other game devs to get wise to the idea that hand based locomotion is the way to go, it gives you way more freedom than room scale plus it's more compact and can be played comfortably standing

https://twitter.com/rileyocallaghan/status/1662212775085760512

Wishing subnautica had arm locomotion right now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

See also: Kinect.

There were rumors back when it was called Project Natal, that it didn't recognize black people. As someone who worked with the prototypes, this was completely true and software at a minimum had to be revised, lol

I guess that never came up when the tech was invented in Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Bloomberg assigning experienced journalists challenge (impossible)

I don’t know what to make of this Quest 3 preview. On the one hand, they could read their phone via passthrough (basically impossible even on the Quest Pro). On the other, they say optics clarity and screen resolution feels comparable to the Quest 2.

Also the Quest 2 is gray??