Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FeyerbrandX posted:

You've apparently got some XCom in your randomizer seed because that remaining 10% hit. It does randomize them or at least it did in our LP.

That 90% was absolutely just me talking out my rear end, so I'm not remotely surprised to find out I was wrong. :v: Still feel good about my decision to open them, though; the potential to luck into something ahead of the curve early on outweighs any other factors imo.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
very normal unjank darksouls playthrough #4

In which we make dealings of rare and raw

we obtain hat

Spoiler Explanations:

I'll be honest, I forget what happens in this one outside of us getting a hat. Oh, and trying to fight Kirk but him not showing up. I don't know what the randomizer did to the invaders. If you have any questions though, you can just ask.

Sorry this took so long to get uploaded somehow. Believe me, I tried, but YT was fighting me with this one. Hopefully the next two I've had done for the last 2 weeks now upload without issues.

-> Previous update is here <-

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
A bit less wild than the previous updates, but the goofy bad translations still make me smile.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

A bit less wild than the previous updates, but the goofy bad translations still make me smile.

Yeah, this was overall a much more sedate time, but at the very least that's the entirety of As Well cleared so we can skip through it later. The saving grace of Depths in randomizers is that nothing stops you from getting everything all in 1 trip.

Really hate that I had to end up with uploading issues on these on what is basically the filler episode of all things, but that's how it be sometimes.

The next two should have more unusual things going on in them.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
DWR Random %

I did another run. This one was a doozy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK-3De7y09U

"Let's knock this out" I say, blissfully unaware of what's to come.
I'm tired of messing up my splits and getting a dumb red timer. So I finally did something about and now all my future times should stay purple. Yay!
Kind of annoyed with myself that the random% tracking doc wasn't visible for so much of the start. Sorry.
Probably should have hit the wyverns harder and earlier to ease in the early exploration.
ARMOR! I was so very happy to find that.
It occurs to me that charting "treasure guards" and "summer sale" is kinda bunk because those two are applied randomly to each individual item on a case by case basis. So for them to actually be "off" would mean every coin flip would need to be "off".
LOL! Whatever robot voice whispered in to my ear didn't make it in to the recording. Never heard that before or since. No clue where it came from. Creepy...
So yeah, checking out the swamp spike and the three's company flag would have been worth my time. I never did that though.

I'm all set for a Z1R attempt next.

Edit: Figured it out! The robot voice was the Z1R tracker talking to me in the background that I had apparently left open. Glad that mystery is solved.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 23, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I tried to play a different randomizer to get back in the swing of things. Unfortunately, it keeps crashing as soon as I level up, so it's unplayable.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Zelda 1 Randomizer!

I'm jumping right in to this with intermediate flags because why not? This is an interesting change from DWR, FFMQR, and FFR. Of course routing and things like that matter, but it seems like one of the primary factors to being *good* in Z1R is combat skills. I have no combat skills. Also, this tracker is incredibly robust for all that it does. It's very impressive. I started this video thinking maybe it'll be practice or maybe I'll post it. But I think posting is a better plan because I'm happy to accept any tips/tricks before I continue with video 2 (probably a few days from now). Otherwise I'll just continue as noted in the spoiler block.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBgxb4iWEF0

I should get back to level 3.
Red ring must be tied to heart containers like the swords are, but I'm not sure exactly how many it takes.
Mental note: Need to get back to the dungeon entrance next to the graveyard because I'm pretty sure I missed an armos there.
I can hear the robot voice talking to me in the video, but I definitely couldn't hear it in my previous DWR video. That must be an OBS thing.
When I start the next video I'll try to explore more in the NW area where there are lots of new caves/whatever. Just a couple/few heart containers and the big stick will be mine. That should really help push me forward for the rest of the game.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
dark shoe soles 5

we investigate the Giant Big Reptile Pit with aid of the DA DA

then we break barriers with an old acquaintance

Spoiler Information:

- Not a huge amount goes down here, but it means we now know a way to another of the Lordvessel locked doors.
- The Halberkrystall (Crystal Halberd) is very interesting, at least for the fact we now know the base Halberd has the 1h-Sword moveset. If our scythe wasn't so high damage, I'd be using it. The crystal downsides (20 durability, unrepairable) mean it's a weapon we'll pull out for a particularly evasive or fast boss (Arty, Sif, Manus, possibly Sanc Guardian)
- The bit at the end shows both how far armor goes in DS1 and also really the main way of beating the Four Kings. I didn't buy the paladin plate for just fashion reasons.
- In the next few episodes, I change our clothing around a bit, but I might go back to Witch Hat, PG, Maiden Gloves, and Black Tights. It's a good look, almost feels signature to our person now.

>> Last Update HERE <<

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Now we know that the side the Balder side sword refers to is the right one

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Do you keep a map of the randomized world or just keep it all in your head? I had a friend try... I forget if it was a DS1 or DS2 door randomizer and the map he ended up with was a hilarious mess, so I'd be curious to see your map if you have one.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

Do you keep a map of the randomized world or just keep it all in your head? I had a friend try... I forget if it was a DS1 or DS2 door randomizer and the map he ended up with was a hilarious mess, so I'd be curious to see your map if you have one.

I've been keeping it all in my head, or at least I was while I was actively running the seed. It's been a month or more since I last ran it and while my memory of it was good, it's definitely faded now. I at least remember what places to look at when I get back to recording.

I used to do a lot of full map randomizer races of OoT so I have a good head for it, though since I mapped on the fly and, my maps usually looked something like this:

Kak
anju - start
wmill - shop hookshot150

grave --> lake
kak-field -> gerudo v. gside

But I was already planning on drawing out a real map for this sometime, yeah. One of my favorite parts is seeing the new, weird world layout created in it's entirety, and I'm gonna need to do it anyways to refresh myself on everything.

DS1 has less map pieces overall to worry about since it doesn't have OoT's interior locations, but the tricky part is remembering every item you've picked up. I really have to clean sweep the map on these settings.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Now we know that the side the Balder side sword refers to is the right one

person, uncovering answers to questions we didn't even know we had

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Zelda 1 Randomizer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTMIYwKjRes

A week? It's been three days. What has my life become?!
There's so much rote memorization about locations and whatnot to this. Without the tracker it'd be near impossible to jump in as a newbie. However, that having been said the tracker for this thing is amazing. It takes out the junk and really opens the game up for anyone to jump in. I said this last time, but seriously it's really impressive.
1:44:40 -> 2:27:54 = 0:43:14
2:52:07 - 0:43:14 = 2:08:53
It's possible my math sucks. I'm kinda tired.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

Zelda 1 Randomizer!
You were trying to figure out how to "upgrade" items on your tracker, right? Have you tried right-clicking? (Serious question; I can't hear your mouse, and I need to watch your videos a little at a time because schedules so I can't remember if you mentioned what you tried.)

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FF6 Beyond Chaos: Part 5: This Update Does Not End After Zozo

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

woof, those are some awful espers.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Stamina... the most useless of stat bonuses.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

oldskool posted:

woof, those are some awful espers.
They could be worse. Like, I'm pretty sure they could all have no stat bonuses and teach nothing but self-damaging spells like Merton and W Wind (sure, both of those also hit enemies at the same time, but given Merton's damage you'd probably need fire immunity to cast it without dying).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ouch, yeah, rough Espers. At least you seem able to handle most encounters you bump into now.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Zelda 1 Randomizer!
We're finishing this off! I recorded these in one go, but split it in to two videos since I was already doing a bit of edited to chop out some stupid sections. All in all it was a fun time. I did start to get a little frustrated by the end, but not too terribly so and the overall experience was still pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmYg7dqPbFY
Twice got stuck trying to clear a room when I could have just bombed the walls to get through it.
Seems like bomb management is kind of important and I got nothing on that front.
"Feels like it's getting a bit long in the tooth", I say and not even halfway through the night.
I have no clue what I'm missing about dungeon 3. Maybe I messed up the tracker, but it says I still have an item left to find.
It looks like the tracker wanted me to enter level 2 and exit level 5 as a route to get to level 9. Totally don't get what that's about. Maybe recorder related?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDm46ZI5k1k
"But the white sword cave is still missing"
Yeah, I really should have just used my potion. I sorta forgot the red potion was two uses though and was trying to save it for Ganon since I thought it was one and done.

CptWedgie posted:

You were trying to figure out how to "upgrade" items on your tracker, right? Have you tried right-clicking? (Serious question; I can't hear your mouse, and I need to watch your videos a little at a time because schedules so I can't remember if you mentioned what you tried.)
I still haven't ever bothered to RTFM on this, but I do think I know what happened. There's no "upgrading" items so to speak. Just marking the items you acquire as you find them. I think the red ring on the overworld was part of the "white sword cave" that gets mentioned at the start of video 4. I found where the white sword cave is on the tracker and it would've let me track the red ring too. I have screenshots of this stuff, but it's on my other computer and I can't easily get to them right now. In the end I'm thinking it was hidden behind a perfectly sensible, but not immediately obvious to me tracker feature.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
dark shoe tape 6

in which we clean up some locations before person gets some rest and protects nestle

... before we encounter a nightmare in the framerate dimension

(skip to about 11 min for meaningful gameplay)

Spoiler Information:

- Just cleaning up some loose ends at the graveyard before moving on. I did not enjoy having to run back to the graveyard multiple, especially at 2 AM.
- We've closed off some connections into loops which is good. We now know that the Anor Londo main hall connects to Firelink through two different paths.
- Disappointed that the BKGS got a whip moveset, that tends to be funky or non-functional on most weapons, but there's always a chance the R2 is good. I don't think the Paramdomizer changes the hidden damage up against demons effect it has.
- why are there so many base heal miracles im glad we dipped into faith
- The Eye of Death we found long ago grants us passage through the Gravelord Servant coffin, which happens to be Ceaseless Kalameet. Lucky for us, we've long had the Orange Ring so we can move through the lower section of Demon Ruins without beating him. We can probably ignore him for a while and come back if it seems we're missing a key item.
- We got the Large Ember, in case we ever see Andre.

-This is the end of my first recording session, and what audio I had cleaned. It'll be a week or two before I can get this back on track as I'm currently recovering from a pretty hot garbage week that put me behind on all my LP work- I just had this one already done.
- I still have that DW3 rando run too, I'll get something with it done eventually, I've just gotta make more portraits.

>> Last Update HERE <<

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So when you got the Intense Color, a ranged weapon, it seemed to have a normal, unmixed moveset. Can the melee and ranged weapons swap movesets? Can the ranged weapons even swap theirs, like a crossbow and a bow trading places?

Also, not being a Supreme Dark Souls Knower, did Kalameet replace the boss that's usually waist deep in magma? Because I was kind of expecting whoever replaced that boss to spawn in the magma, not the ledge above it, and possibly start melting from the contact.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

So when you got the Intense Color, a ranged weapon, it seemed to have a normal, unmixed moveset. Can the melee and ranged weapons swap movesets? Can the ranged weapons even swap theirs, like a crossbow and a bow trading places?

Also, not being a Supreme Dark Souls Knower, did Kalameet replace the boss that's usually waist deep in magma? Because I was kind of expecting whoever replaced that boss to spawn in the magma, not the ledge above it, and possibly start melting from the contact.

I'll be honest and say I don't touch the ranged weapons too often, but I can''t recall a melee weapon ever getting a ranged moveset. I imagine the randomization on ranged can maybe swap between shortbow/longbow/greatbow and crossbow/weird crossbow (avelyn, sniper).

If they spawned in the magma below in Ceaseless's room, you'd have no ability to actually fight it- I don't think even Seath is tall enough. Kalameet also happens to have 900 Fire res, so he's probably fine even if he was in the lava.

Centipede Demon's room however, if we see it, will melt bosses like you're expecting. The only other fire immune bosses outside of Ceaseless and Centipede are Quelaag and Bed of Chaos bug, so otherwise it'd have to be a particularly tough boss to not melt immediately (the DLC bosses have crazy high elemental resistance). Also, the randomizer does not consider fire resistance when it places bosses there: we'll see what poor boss might die in the spicy water of orange bloom if we ever find that boss room.

Fun fact: Despite what you might think, Demon Firesage's fire resist isn't that good, it's nearly equal to Stray Demon's and is only kinda middling. Even Gwyn has more than Firesage.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 1, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Odd Wilson posted:

If they spawned in the magma below in Ceaseless's room, you'd have no ability to actually fight it- I don't think even Seath is tall enough. Kalameet also happens to have 900 Fire res, so he's probably fine even if he was in the lava.

There IS that consideration, but you never know with these randomizers, some of them expect you to do the occasional bit of 'sploity or borderline glitchy stuff to get through.

Odd Wilson posted:

Centipede Demon's room however, if we see it, will melt bosses like you're expecting. The only other fire immune bosses outside of Ceaseless and Centipede are Quelaag and Bed of Chaos bug, so otherwise it'd have to be a particularly tough boss to not melt immediately (the DLC bosses have crazy high elemental resistance). Also, the randomizer does not consider fire resistance when it places bosses there: we'll see what poor boss might die in the spicy water of orange bloom if we ever find that boss room.

I'll look forward to this, should be funny.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Hey guys, I'm back.

FFMQR 4-1, This Should Be Quick

Figured I'd do a nice and simple run to get back into things before I try out a new randomizer.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, that escalated quickly.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022
Time to farm up 20+ seeds and Flare/White everything?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
DWR Random %

Last Rando % for me. I think three runs show off the fun combinations well enough. We didn't even end up with any true chaos monster slogs either. I'm ok with that. This last one worked out really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_IgN2JhfBU

Lol that I picked str/agi for this one when in hindsight str/hp would have been the way better choice. Go figure.
The whole idea behind a permanent repel seed is getting high attack power and low defense. You want to be able to kill things, but the higher your defense gets the more enemies get repeled and the fewer good fights you can find. There's a heck of a trade-off in finding Erdrick's Armor and pumping up the defense numbers but also being a big swamp map the armor let's me free walk over all the damage tiles. Since I had not great agility and no shield I felt like the armor was fine in my situation. If you're in a situation where you find the armor and it's not too hard to reach (like we were in with this seed) then you can always get rid of the armor by buying something cheap from a weapon shop. So if I needed to tank my def a bit so I had more monster options I could run off and buy some clothes for 20 gold and the game takes away my armor for the clothes. Whenever I was ready to dive charlock I just have to pop back in to mountain cave and grab armor from the chest again.
Once I saw that the Hauk's spike tile was a lovely 7 exp dragon I started eyeing what overworld monsters I was seeing. Because if I needed to grind to 17 somewhere, I wanted to have an idea about where exactly that should be. East of Charlock and maybe just a bit south was a zone with knights for 300 exp and maybe a couple other half decent monsters. I probably would have gone over there. It's a cruel loving joke that my spike tiles on a permanent repel seed were worth 7, 7, and 5 exp each. But...
...Three's Company finish was a great way to go. In the end I could have finished faster if I attempted that on the same dive that I used to check the charlock spike. It's no big deal though. I'm super happy that it all worked out.

I have some DWR stuff to show off still that I made myself. It probably won't ever see the light of day beyond this LP, but I think it's really neat. Still thinking about seeing what Blaster Master and Duck Tales are all about too. I played that a bunch as a kid so jumping in on a rando might be fun.

CptWedgie posted:

Hey guys, I'm back.

FFMQR 4-1, This Should Be Quick

Figured I'd do a nice and simple run to get back into things before I try out a new randomizer.
Dang, that's looking like quite the little jet seed.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 2, 2023

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 4-2, Already Go Mode?

Disclaimer: This seed might be less "jet" than it appears due to how much I'm glossing over. That said, it's still going pretty fast... though that might just be from the perspective of someone who's traumatized by full map shuffle.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 4-3, Quest's End

Meant to post this yesterday at the latest, but... 4 hours of sleep.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

CptWedgie posted:

FFMQR 4-3, Quest's End

Meant to post this yesterday at the latest, but... 4 hours of sleep.

Thanks for all the FFMQR! You convinced me to play it a bit myself and that's some pretty fun stuff. I've only scratched the surface of the possibilities though.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Duck Tales Randomizer!

Pulled from the big master list that Double Negative posted. I loved this one growing up so I gave it a go to see what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si8hildCTbI
Yeah, it's four years old and hasn't been updated in as many years. Not much to be said about it.
I do wonder if there was a way to make enough money to pay the toll in the Amazon. Maybe I missed something?
Having the randomizer basically remove Transylvania from the game in any real aspect was pretty funny.
All in all, it's fine. Just a quick hit and call it good.

I'm going through Blaster Master right now. I'll put that one up next in a day or two.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
It's not "new" in the sense of me not playing it before, but this is at least "new" in the sense of not having been posted in this thread yet.

Mario RPG Rando 1, The Cake Is Alive

For the record, this is the game I was trying to play when I said that it crashed when I leveled up.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 8, 2023

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

CptWedgie posted:

It's not "new" in the sense of me not playing it before, but this is at least "new" in the sense of not having been posted in this thread yet.

Mario RPG Rando 1, The Cake Is Alive

For the record, this is the game I was trying to play when I said that it crashed when I leveled up.
I imagine how easy this can be is someone tied to how well you know the combat action timings?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon Randomizer

First Session: Catacombs - Abyss Stairway - Audience Room - Outer Wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdMcr8__qIg

I like Aria, but I love Circle. I'm weird like that. I absolutely want to finish this one, I should have the skills and knowledge for it. Small blunders notwithstanding - nothing that can't be fixed with editing, eh?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Curious to see the familiars in action, never bothered with them myself and the rebalance should help.

Lucky to get the double grips early, too.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 9, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
When I played Circle as a teenager, I was kinda dumb because I never figured out what the brain floats were even for. To be fair, grinding for 1% card drops never occurred to me. They really just looked at Rippers from Metroid and went "but what if they were easily killable by accident" didn't they?"

Also Mario Luigi RPG randomizer looks neat!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

I imagine how easy this can be is someone tied to how well you know the combat action timings?
Depends on the seed, really. Turns out my Defense is OP (possibly due to my level), and I'm pretty sure you can't block spells full-stop. Anyway...

Mario RPG Rando 2, Seeking Sweet Tooth

Cleared an area and a half, got some big powerups, and verified that I'm thoroughly overleveled thanks to the Exp. Booster.

Simply Simon posted:

Interesting! I'll have to get back to this video in a bit since I haven't finished it, but I will note that I've also picked up a Castlevania game as a side-project myself (one of the DSVania ones, to be more specific; there's actually a single randomizer that works for all of them); I don't know if I'll start posting it before or after I finish Mario, but I do plan to post it here sometime, even if it's awkward as a screenshot LP.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

I like Aria, but I love Circle. I'm weird like that. I absolutely want to finish this one, I should have the skills and knowledge for it. Small blunders notwithstanding - nothing that can't be fixed with editing, eh?

I haven't played Circle of the Moon, but a few observations.

Castlevania games' most banging tracks often seem to be playing in tower-themed sections.
Why the hell does every Castlevania game seem to have knockback that sends you flying half a screen? I loving hate this. Worst thing in platformers of any kind.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Simply Simon posted:

Circle is a weird game. Design-wise it feels like a transition state between your old-school platformer Vanias and your SoTN and onward Vanias. There are a couple of really bad design decisions, but they're all in the details rather than the core mechanics of the game. So the game ends up being just pretty good. I think this was also the first Metroidvania that I ever played?

Also the whip spin is hilariously useful, as it makes you impervious to many projectiles and some small swarming enemies like Medusa Heads. Don't sleep on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

PurpleXVI posted:

Why the hell does every Castlevania game seem to have knockback that sends you flying half a screen? I loving hate this. Worst thing in platformers of any kind.

I think it's a holdback from the original game where knockback is intended to punish sloppy gameplay with instant death.

Portrait of Ruin has an armor that makes the knockback higher, if you want.

This reminds me that I should do a PoR rando run for the thread still, but I'm still behind on even getting to the Dark Souls videos. DW III rando is ready to write up but I'm way behind even on my main LPs.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 10, 2023