Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

So I guess Boltgun goes to show that a little bit of marketing really does make a difference. It got day-one reviews from a bunch of big sites and youtube streamers, even ones who wouldn't usually pay much attention to this type of game, is currently at third place in Steam's top sellers list, and has had many times more concurrent players than any other retro shooter ever has. Now that's not to say it'll end up having as long a tail as something like DUSK, it's just an observation. Anyway, I'm definitely gonna pick it up but I'll need something between it and Prodeus, which I'm playing now, since they both clearly fall under the unabashed power fantasy label.

Speaking of, Prodeus feels just a hair's breadth away from greatness. The moving and shooting is excellent and the map design is on point; it's just fun to play. But there are a bunch of little niggles that really add up.

-The save system has been litigated to death. But that won't stop me! It's bad.
-A lot of things seem strangely hacked together. The overworld, for example, why can't you just click where you want to go? The time trials are ostensibly based around a single weapon but you actually have your full arsenal and can use whatever you want. The shop is jank and stop telling me to rate it every time. In fact, stop telling me to rate the official levels at all! If you quit mid-mission, you'll have to restart from the beginning.
-I still wish you could turn off a lot of the pseudo-oldschool visuals, things look overly pixelated from afar and I want 3D weapons instead of sprites.
-As mentioned, the maps have been great so far, but visually pretty similar and quite a few of them include points of no return.
-I bumped the difficulty up to hard and it's still been real easy, but I hear that changes (for the worse?) later on.
-Awful, huge menus.
-3D automaps have been done before, and far better.

Finished Prodeus. That last level was a real "that's it?" despite the overall game being fairly beefy. Ironically, despite playing closer to Doom 2016 than anything else, the game's at its worst when its doing enclosed combat arenas. They're too small and underdesigned. Anyway, more thoughts on completion.
-I spent half my playtime reloading weapons, the game really needed to just fill 'em up when they weren't equipped
-I actually thought all of the first area's techbase maps were very well designed (some frustration with that sniper gimmick level) albeit overly samey looking. The quality becomes a lot more mixed when you go to the Prodeus dimension, which I think had a cool aesthetic, but isn't that fun to play in. I'd say the space station level is definitely the best of that last handful. Really, they should have just spread out the different tilesets more throughout the game, even if they kept the same overall topography. In short, the pacing was all hosed up.
-The menus are too big.
-The bestiary arguably hews way too close to Doom's and the later, more unique ones aren't that fun to fight. The titular Prodeans were a pain in the rear end and the majority of them are just reskinned early enemies with too much health and way more damage, which contributed to their dimension's levels being kinda suckass. The game had an absolutely bizarre difficulty curve wherein I sat at about 100 life right up until the point where they became the primary enemy and then I'd be scrambling for health all the time, something exacerbated by the fact that those maps seemed to have very few health and ammo pickups. I also noticed a lot of them had tracking shots, the worst being those big ice guys who seemed able to two-shot you. Then I was able to blast through that last (and only) big hell level with no problems right at the end of the campaign.
-I liked the weaponset tho, a nice mix between familiar and new. Some of the balance seemed...questionable. The Plasma Rifle, for example, excels at all tasks, taking out strong enemies and having a deep enough magazine to thin out crowds. The Mammonth was also real good, though it's also the final gun you can unlock. Meanwhile I got the autoshotty right when I started the "Oops! All Prodeans" part of the game and it really wasn't great. And the Chaos Caster was garbage.
-It's also strange that the game has four whole weapons slots that remain unfilled, even though at least two of them are fully functional ingame. One of them's even a BFG! Hell, I remember playing an earlier beta which had the plexus in it.

Are there any particular fan campaigns/levels anyone can recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I preordered Boltgun and havent so much as touched it yet, as is Steam tradition

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Was going to come into the thread and ask if Boltgun was any good. As a boomershooter/Warhammer 40k game. I loved Space Marine, so my standards aren't super high

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Was going to come into the thread and ask if Boltgun was any good. As a boomershooter/Warhammer 40k game. I loved Space Marine, so my standards aren't super high

Boltgun came close to being an awesome game, but there are too many dumb mistakes with stuff like map design and damage feedback that drag it down in the end

it's not as good as Space Marine but it would probably meet not-super-high standards

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

ive played 2 hours and am very much enjoying it. it feels exactly how it should and it's got a fun classic bestiary of chaos enemies

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

Boltgun came close to being an awesome game, but there are too many dumb mistakes with stuff like map design and damage feedback that drag it down in the end

it's not as good as Space Marine but it would probably meet not-super-high standards

yeah the maps are awesome looking but i do tend to get turned around and lost too much. still an awesome game for 20 bucks imo

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

ninjoatse.cx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiQbXMIW7Hk

Title says it all. It's not bad, but... Eh.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Is there any consensus on what games make up the top tier of boomer shooters? I'm interested in playing some, but only have the time to play a handful and they all kinda blend together in my mind.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rebel Blob posted:

Is there any consensus on what games make up the top tier of boomer shooters? I'm interested in playing some, but only have the time to play a handful and they all kinda blend together in my mind.

start with Dusk and/or Amid Evil

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rebel Blob posted:

The earlier ones are still the best, imo, so Dusk, Amid Evil, I like Ion Fury a lot. I know people are into Hedon but it sounds like a real commitment, there Cultic, but I'm waiting for the second episode's release. If Wrath ever fully comes out it'll probably be up there, then there's also Turbo Overkill which lives up to its name, supposed to be leaving EA soon. It's not exactly a new game, but the Arcane Dimensions mod for Quake 1 has enough modern design sensibilities that it frankly blows the original campaign out the water.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mordja posted:

the Arcane Dimensions mod for Quake 1 has enough modern design sensibilities that it frankly blows the original campaign out the water.

Never heard about it. Is it really that amazing? I guess I'll have to try it at some point.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Saoshyant posted:

Never heard about it. Is it really that amazing? I guess I'll have to try it at some point.

It's just some really good mapping and gameplay tweaks to Quake 1, and has some gorgeous visual design to boot.

Despite all the retro shooters I play, I don't really care about that oldskool aesthetic one way or another, although I admit that it's easier to be evocative with simpler graphics, as Dusk shows, and it's easier for indie devs. Quake 1 is the exception, particularly modded Quake 1*, I just think it's a look that holds up more than others, hence my hopes for Wrath.

*I mean the original campaign was mostly a bunch of brown and then purplish grey hallways

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Hwurmp posted:

start with Dusk and/or Amid Evil

Mordja posted:

The earlier ones are still the best, imo, so Dusk, Amid Evil, I like Ion Fury a lot. I know people are into Hedon but it sounds like a real commitment, there Cultic, but I'm waiting for the second episode's release. If Wrath ever fully comes out it'll probably be up there, then there's also Turbo Overkill which lives up to its name, supposed to be leaving EA soon. It's not exactly a new game, but the Arcane Dimensions mod for Quake 1 has enough modern design sensibilities that it frankly blows the original campaign out the water.
Thanks! Gives me a place to start.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rebel Blob posted:

Thanks! Gives me a place to start.

For what it's worth, while Cultic is billed as "Chapter One", it's a full-featured standalone title that is absolutely, positively worth $9.99, and one of my favorite entries in the "boomer shooter" genre thus far.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I enjoy Dusk/AE's bunny hopping sprees more than Cultic's peeking out from cover to bait the hitscanners, but the maps are fun to explore and finding the secrets makes me feel like a big brain

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I dunno if it's very boomer-shootery but Prey from 2006 (the OTHER game called Prey) is excellent and worth a playthrough if you've never tried it.
Surprisingly innovative little tricks mixed in there too, with portals and gravity manipulation.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Anyone try out Glitchbusters stuck on you ?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Things only 90s pc gamers can appreciate:

• Having to run back-to-back installers and put in new CD keys for each disk to install games with multiple expansions
• Manually downloading and installing patches from random websites, assuming you know they're available and have an internet hookup
• Getting flagged by devs' homemade DRM solutions on retail disks
• "Please insert disk 6 to continue"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thanks for reminding me about my StarForce protected version of Silent Storm that I still have somewhere that you can't play because that DRM was the biggest piece of poo poo ever made.

It's fortunate that GOG saved that game from StarForce prison.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Randallteal posted:

Things only 90s pc gamers can appreciate:

• Having to run back-to-back installers and put in new CD keys for each disk to install games with multiple expansions
• Manually downloading and installing patches from random websites, assuming you know they're available and have an internet hookup
• Getting flagged by devs' homemade DRM solutions on retail disks
• "Please insert disk 6 to continue"

"Please enter the 4th letter of the 14th word in the 3rd paragraph of page 28 of the Manual."

Or, if you go back further enough:

"Some important poo poo happens. Go read game event 19 in the game events chapter of the manual."

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
i just miss loving around with config.sys and autoexec.bat and extended memory and expanded memory and trying to get my soundblaster to work at the same time as the game

wait what does 'miss' mean again

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Jossar posted:

*stumbles out blearily after having cultivated for 13 of the last 19 hours*

That got me to buy it. I've never played a xanxia game (aside from Amazing Cultivation Simulator which I could never get into) but I've read a bunch of novels and have always wanted to play one since the conventions seemed perfect for a game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I miss being a kid trying to figure out the arcane world of dos computers to play an old game I bought for cheap at a used book store.

I'm glad I don't have to gently caress with that in my 40s.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress everything about this

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Whoever made that didn't live through the era they're invoking and, worse, it's criminally unfunny

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AAA industry used to constantly release completely broken and unfinished games that cost way too much, but at least back in the day the completely broken and unfinished games that cost way too much didn't also try to milk you with battlepasses and microtransactions.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like where gaming is at now, but if I could get rid of micro-transactions, battle passes, and loot boxes, I would without hesitation.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

AAA industry used to constantly release completely broken and unfinished games that cost way too much, but at least back in the day the completely broken and unfinished games that cost way too much didn't also try to milk you with battlepasses and microtransactions.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The situation we have now with PC ports is basically just a rehash of approx 2008-2011 where every PC port was also completely hosed. I don’t really remember (anything ever anymore) why that stopped being the case so I don’t know what the way out here is.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The last "AAA" game I've played is Dishonored 2, and it was fine.

Not bothering with "AAA" is a very good decision, imo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Antigravitas posted:

Not bothering with "AAA" is a very good decision, imo.

drat, I bet I've never even heard of the bands you like

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

I love Dishonored 2 but it is so incredibly unoptimized. It was so much worse on release even.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Mordja posted:

drat, I bet I've never even heard of the bands you like

You betcha.

Jack Trades posted:

I love Dishonored 2 but it is so incredibly unoptimized. It was so much worse on release even.

Bought it after its DLC stopped coming out. Also the correct decision, it seems. :sun:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The only way I can see the whole "the golden age of gaming was actually x years ago!" sentiment being somewhat true, instead of being a nostalgia brainrot, is if the person saying that is a die-hard fan of one of the genres that had their boom in the past and are pretty thoroughly dead now, like MMORPGs, RTSes, or arena PvP shooters (or whatever the hell was the name for the genre of things like Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament).

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The golden age was specifically 1998.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The golden age of gaming was when I was 13 and unburdened

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 28, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The golden age of gaming is now, because I can still play most of the old games I did back in the day, and do, plus all the new games coming out that I like.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

No, I'm burdened now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
While I appreciate the dig at Blizzard pests stealing other employees' breast milk from the fridge because seriously what the gently caress, this is a myopic attempt at "back in my day" nostalgia bait at best and deliberately malicious agitprop at worst. It blames devs for things that are neither the choices nor the fault of devs, like the DRM used - that's all on the publisher, aka the money men.

Squiggle posted:

The golden age of gaming was when I was 13 and unburdened
Yep