Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they can fingerprint you without a login in almost all cases unless you basically have a new stock iphone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
that may be but if you search logged in and out and even use incognito mode to whatever extent that works, the results are different across every google property i've used

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

jemand posted:

It's pretty clear dude had an absolutely incorrect understanding of what was going on. I.e., thought he was talking to an actual no-poo poo artificial intelligence who had direct and ongoing access to vast legal databases.

calling it artificial intelligence makes people who don't spend all their time around computer stuff think it's some kind of artificial intelligence?? next you're going to tell me tesla's autopilot can't actually drive the car reliably without me monitoring it, ridiculous

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

there are some subjects where nazis have basically seo-ed themselves to the top of the results regardless of any personalizations

for example, be real careful about what you click on if you're trying to learn about the Leo Frank trial and lynching

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

obviously the solution is generative AI

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sagebrush posted:

now i don't think that this 30 year veteran lawyer used chatgpt to intentionally fabricate cases, brazenly thinking that nobody would check up on them or something.

i think this 30 year veteran lawyer, like so many other people out there, fundamentally misunderstands the technology and believed that he was looking up case law on chatgpt.

this stuff is just a loving catastrophe

oh my god I hadn't even thought about that. I had just gone for a couple of "looks like it's right but is actually wrong" cases to try and damp down the enthusiasm from various people at work (in legal no less lmao)but I hadn't even considered someone being dumb enough to use it like that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

oh my god I hadn't even thought about that. I had just gone for a couple of "looks like it's right but is actually wrong" cases to try and damp down the enthusiasm from various people at work (in legal no less lmao)but I hadn't even considered someone being dumb enough to use it like that.

really? cuz everyone's using it like that. i pointed out a little while ago how people were saying poo poo like "i searched for it on chatgpt" and how that's a fun terrifying new sentence we're gonna be hearing a lot of

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
journalists have done that too. i don't have a specific link but i've seen more than one tweet from people saying a (made up) quote was attributed to them that the person writing the article "found on chatgpt"

people are using it like a search engine because the real ones are so bad now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

journalists have done that too. i don't have a specific link but i've seen more than one tweet from people saying a (made up) quote was attributed to them that the person writing the article "found on chatgpt"

people are using it like a search engine because the real ones are so bad now

also more importantly because it's being irresponsibly pushed as a magic oracle by everyone involved

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

also more importantly because it's being irresponsibly pushed as a magic oracle by everyone involved
It's really a "magic oracle" when you start using chatgpt to people

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
yep. i think most people see it somewhere between "this is like google, but it always gives you the answer you're looking for, so convenient" and "this is an artificial intelligence that knows everything about everything."

this is what happens when you let engineers ("engineers") release poo poo out into the world without doing any ethical, psychological, human factors, or safety analysis on what they've built.

:eng101: "this thing you've made is neat, but how is an untrained user likely to use it? are there improper or unacceptable uses? what happens if they use it in those ways? how could the system be misused out of ignorance, and would doing so have negative outcomes? what are the foreseeable risks of this technology?"

:goleft: "i don't care"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 27, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

I can't remember but wasn't there some disclaimer you have to click through the first time?

I could be thinking of bing or Google bard though

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

well you do not get billions in investments by doing stuff in a regulated and cautious way. and anyway, if anything goes wrong, all you have to say is "we hear you and we take full responsibility" and that's it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

mystes posted:

I can't remember but wasn't there some message you have to click through the first time?

i think there is but :rolleyes:

also in this particular case you know that the 30 year partner got some 2L intern to set it up for him and never saw that message, if he would even have cared

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mystes posted:

I can't remember but wasn't there some disclaimer you have to click through the first time?

the fact you can’t remember what was in the disclaimer sums up the whole problem with just telling people it’s shortcomings once in a disclaimer though, doesn’t it?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
hey they might update the disclaimer and let everyone know by changing the date or revision number

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

this is what happens when you let engineers ("engineers") release poo poo out into the world without doing any ethical, psychological, human factors, or safety analysis on what they've built.

yeah same with biases in the results. it’s always “we’ve found that our ai never generates black people. this is a problem for the future” then you strangely never hear about it again.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
multiple coworkers of mine consider gpt4 an authority on technical matters, as in “i checked to see if that’s possible but gpt4 says it isn’t :(

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you think that chat gpt is already sophisticated enough to do your job for you then I guess your employer should just fire you and use chat gpt

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

yep. i think most people see it somewhere between "this is like google, but it always gives you the answer you're looking for, so convenient" and "this is an artificial intelligence that knows everything about everything."

:eng101: "this thing you've made is neat, but how is an untrained user likely to use it? are there improper or unacceptable uses? what happens if they use it in those ways? how could the system be misused out of ignorance, and would doing so have negative outcomes? what are the foreseeable risks of this technology?"

:goleft: "i don't care"

google nuked their entire ai ethics team because jeff dean didn’t appreciate the most milquetoast ‘maybe don’t boil the ocean’ critique

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
look, no technological ethics committee has ever actually worked, we still have nuclear arsenals and gas weapons and cluster bombs. i guess we add these fuckin things to the mix

at least the death count is not even in the hundreds yet, and prolly not gonna hit hundreds of thousands easily

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
the only technology we’ve effectively suppressed is human eugenics

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

hey, it only took them a few decades to mostly ban leaded gas

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
idk genetic modifications are already possible, its just that nobody's figured out how to make us all hyper buff supertall geniuses with it. of course nobody in yospos needs such a thing,

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

BMan posted:

hey, it only took them a few decades to mostly ban leaded gas

sagebrush doing cessna loops over the valley is praxis

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in a well actually posted:

sagebrush doing cessna loops over the valley is praxis

i have flown low over the oracle, facebook, and google headquarters many times :twisted:

rotor posted:

the only technology we’ve effectively suppressed is human eugenics

and that only took the largest war in history and around 50 million dead

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they're in the middle of whacking tay-sachs disease from jewish peeps by pre-implantation egg diagnosis, and the peeps who are doing it make real fuckin sure not to call it eugenics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevention_of_Tay%E2%80%93Sachs_disease

but, uhh....

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sagebrush posted:

the eugenics is coming from inside the america

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

mystes posted:

I believe that went through multiple versions without a way for me to look up what it used to say.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

in a well actually posted:

google nuked their entire ai ethics team because jeff dean didn’t appreciate the most milquetoast ‘maybe don’t boil the ocean’ critique

https://twitter.com/timnitgebru/status/1662525394342522880

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

can't argue with that because i don't know what you're saying, you got me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
em waves and untreated schizophrenics bein nuts have gone together since the air loom guy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i really like the thought that the reason we have wars is because each country's president meets the other president in a room together to like, discuss a trade deal or something, but then accidentally says the wrong words and then the other guy challenges them to a country duel

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:ok:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shame Boy posted:

really? cuz everyone's using it like that. i pointed out a little while ago how people were saying poo poo like "i searched for it on chatgpt" and how that's a fun terrifying new sentence we're gonna be hearing a lot of

asking questions like "explain X to me" sure but not like, "can you provide references to back up my argument that.." because lmao oh my god that is gonna return some wild poo poo

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats, uh, thats personalized results

nah I remember the MLK front page thing too from 2001ish era google. there was a front page search result for the Vietnam war that explained that the US definitely won and soldiers loved it over there. the algo was easy to bait back in the day, then it good better, now it’s bad again.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thats, uh, thats personalized results

nah, it wasn’t that. neo nazis bought the domain martainlutherking dot org and created a fairly subtle white supremacy website. It used to rank very highly for the relevant search terms.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/martinlutherkingorg-is-owned-by-neo-nazis

I think it’s been pretty much banned from most terms not but back when SEO highly prioritized domain names it was top of the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

they're in the middle of whacking tay-sachs disease from jewish peeps by pre-implantation egg diagnosis, and the peeps who are doing it make real fuckin sure not to call it eugenics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevention_of_Tay%E2%80%93Sachs_disease

but, uhh....

i think it’s quite a slippery slope to go from peeps voluntarily eradicating their own genetic diseases to forced sterilization but idk