Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

I don't have the physical record yet, but the Sparks' newest album is out today and it's a banger imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Furious that I just found out Sun Araw's On Patrol finally got a reissue but I spent my last free cash on the Vinegar Syndrome sale. :argh:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

caligulamprey posted:

Furious that I just found out Sun Araw's On Patrol finally got a reissue but I spent my last free cash on the Vinegar Syndrome sale. :argh:

drat haven't been tempted to buy such an expensive record in while, $36 for something I bought digitally hmmm

edit: spent more money oh well

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 26, 2023

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

:sickos:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Nice, that Dokken album is a real gem. Also one of the best Friday the 13th movies.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

haljordan posted:

Nice, that Dokken album is a real gem. Also one of the best Friday the 13th movies.

It's actually a 45 single. It's tiny as hell lol

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

joylessdivision posted:

It's actually a 45 single. It's tiny as hell lol

Ha! Even better.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I got my copy of Dredg’s El Cielo in and I don’t have a lot emotional attachment to many records but drat, this really is still top tier stuff.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Nice that's some fun stuff

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

So out of everything I've bought on vinyl thus far, this record is my favorite by a wiiiide margin (to be honest, it's been one of my favorite albums for the last 15 years or so)

haljordan fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 28, 2023

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

haljordan posted:

So out of everything I've bought on vinyl thus far, this record is my favorite by a wiiiide margin (to be honest, it's been one of my favorite albums for the last 15 years or so)

I thought that was a Decemberist’s record for a second lol

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

IG-88 posted:

I thought that was a Decembrist’s record for a second lol

Lmao I don't blame you one bit for thinking that

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Last haul for like the next month I swear

EDIT: AH gently caress I got too trigger happy at the record shop. The British Steel is a 2008 reissue. I want an original.

PM me if you want this one. $20 + shipping.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 28, 2023

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

IG-88 posted:

I got my copy of Dredg’s El Cielo in and I don’t have a lot emotional attachment to many records but drat, this really is still top tier stuff.

I got it last week and listened to it yesterday. This was the album I found the band with, so I do have the attachment you do. I thought it sounded great on vinyl, I picked up more elements I’ve missed before just listening to it casually, on random. Worth the wait since ordering it in October.

(I had the arm oscillating on side A that I saw people complaining about on Discogs, but it didn’t effect the sound for me.)

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

IUG posted:

I got it last week and listened to it yesterday. This was the album I found the band with, so I do have the attachment you do. I thought it sounded great on vinyl, I picked up more elements I’ve missed before just listening to it casually, on random. Worth the wait since ordering it in October.

(I had the arm oscillating on side A that I saw people complaining about on Discogs, but it didn’t effect the sound for me.)

Ah, I thought that side A effect was done on purpose. Didn’t really bother me either.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

What types of turntables do people itt use? I have this beast of a Collaro that is over 50 years old and still works perfectly.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 28, 2023

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

haljordan posted:

You're making my eye twitch.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I found Yazoo - Upstairs At Eric's at a thrift store today. Didn't realize it was a $15 record until I was adding it to my Discogs.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Went to a store called Found Sound in Ferndale MI today and grabbed The Mars Volta's De-Loused In The Comatorium. Nice shop, good selections. Almost grabbed Bright Eyes - Fevers And Mirrors but grabbed TMV instead.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Spent the last 10 days in Japan and had to do a bit of digging while here.

All of their second hand records are so well kept, amazing stores too.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I wish I could go record shopping in Japan.

Some housecleaning—

Last night I grabbed my gear and a sack full of recent records and hiked up to the old brick road/path buried halfway up hill behind where I live. I'm still trying to dig up the full history of this road, from what I've gathered it was one of the first to be graded in this neighbourhood c. 1860. There's a huge staircase that runs perpendicular to it, they intersect at the halfway point, don't know exactly when it was first built but I suspect it was probably there by the 20th century. The current steps seem to have been poured sometime before the 50s. There was a school where I now live, originally built c. 1860s, upgraded to brick c. 1890s, and demolished in 1974.

Spoilered so you can more easily skip past the history lesson if you don't care (why wouldn't you?? Rude)

Illustration from an 1870 map. Looks like stairs behind it (left side) but can't know for sure. Road doesn't appear to be illustrated

Photo from 1885, stairs not visible but it's so low-res, who can say. Looks like road could be back there.

Brick version, colourized photo, postcard postmarked September 1910. This version of the school stood until the 70s.

Teacher Nan Tilleson standing on right side of school, sometime in the 50s or 60s I'm guessing. Stairs visible in background.

Demolition, February 16 1974.

I suspect this was shot after the school was defunct or even after its demolition, which would put it in the 70s or possibly 80s.

I would hate to have had to climb up and down those 152 steps every day to get to school. As for the road, by the time it was laid with bricks in 1927 I think it had fallen out of use as a road for vehicles. Anyway, it's a pretty out of the way spot to shoot some photos of records with Not My Carpet as a backdrop. There was real nice golden hour sunset light last night too. I had to go back and re-do three shots tonight, overcast light, much more even but not as pretty. See if you can spot the three! Fun game. Irrelevant local history. Good tunes.

First up, Golden BooTs' Burning Brain LP from 2007

Long out of print, the BooTs boys dug up 10 closet copies a couple weeks ago and put 'em up on Bandcamp. I was standing in this exact spot when I got that notification on the 15th and promptly bought it, so it only felt appropriate to do this shot here. They did a lathe cut of it with Mike Dixon a year or two ago but I'm not spending $35 for a lathe cut of anything. This was $45, and I happily paid the band $45 rather than give some reseller that much or more, if you can even find one. Of course now I'm like $200 in the hole this month. Shep face forever.

I never did buy the hot sauce though. So I'm not totally irresponsible

Next up, my caUSE co-MOTION! journey. CC was a band from Brooklyn that was active from about 2003 to 2011, far as i can tell. They are from the same garage/punk scene as Beachniks, and as I adore Beachniks, a few weeks ago I decided to grab up their modest discography, as it was all very cheap and available.

In 2009 they released this CD comp of nearly all their singles, save the first one, which was before it was a four-piece and it was just the one dude, Arno Kleni. The label sells it on their Bandcamp for a fiver. I liked what I heard so I sought out that first single. Found it from Suburban White Trash Records in Fort Collins, CO, for a few bucks

Along with another CC single (that IS on the comp but for a couple bucks...) and 5 others that looked like fun, and Rod Stewart. Most were fun except that David Nudelman turd (yellow/green, bottom left), pretty mediocre "comedy" novelty songs. You can hear them all here, but you really shouldn't. The Winners of the World's Worst Rap Competition lives up to its name, very cringe white boys who can't rap, very 90s. About $40 shipped. Seller was awesome but he must use incense in his shop because they all have A Smell.

Oh yeah! And the first CC single was fatally warped and unplayable. Lol, lmao, etc.

And CC's final output, an EP from 2011, Because Because Because.

Screen printed cover art that they hand-decorated before screening, each is unique. This one looks like it was sprayed with paint guns but idk

For reference, here is another copy, with has green spatter on front and some pink design painted on back.

No I'm not trying to collect them all. I bought the second one first, from a seller on Discogs (under 10,) a few days later it occurred to me that the label may have it on their Bandcamp and yep, $5 like the CD. I'll give the spare away at some point. The label included a cool poster too so bonus.

Moving on, someone here recommended this Weyes Blood album recently and I had seen her on Colbert recently so I went for it.

Amazing album, listened to it a few times now, including while shooting these (bought it through Bandcamp!) I'm loathe to draw comparisons but I'm loathesome I guess because she reminds me a bit of Aimee Mann. Gonna have to check out more of her stuff soon (ack! I hate it when people say "stuff" about music! I have become what I hate)

And FINALLY loving FINALLY ALREADY. GOD. drat it

A free record! From the venerable sporklift! But he's not just happy to give away a double LP, because he packed the box. He packed that poo poo.

Four singles! And like the LP, I've not yet had a free moment to listen to any of them! Also I realized I accidentally had the back cover facing up on the Quickspace so I just shot a closeup since I was losing light fast.

And I swear to god he threw in mix CDs :allears: I haven't received a mix CD in ten years, i don't care that i've heard these on Mixcloud I'm so unreasonably happy to have them on plastic. Thanks dude. Three of his recent Moss Appeals (#41-43) and a country mix :clint:

I tried to find a mossy spot but that little stone pedestal will have to suffice. I replaced the paper sleeves with colour-coordinated slim jewel cases, since I have a stack in the closet. The country CD has art on the back so gotta keep it with the sleeve.

And a lovely note. All the CD covers and this are printed on this luxurious stock with proper colours, I love it.

You've reached the end. That's it for another quarter. Good god. Sorry for all the words but also, you're welcome for the sikk photos :cool:

Go play some records

pwn
May 27, 2004

That Rod Stewart Baby Jane is insane, it's new. There was no noise when I played it. I've never heard a pop single of that era that sounded as good. It's also the UK version and has this great back cover. I love it. Boring-rear end indoor studio shots, sorry.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

pwn posted:

That Rod Stewart Baby Jane is insane, it's new. There was no noise when I played it. I've never heard a pop single of that era that sounded as good. It's also the UK version and has this great back cover. I love it. Boring-rear end indoor studio shots, sorry.

Oh man I'm totally gonna win those Rod Stewart tickets!!!

Snagged this one the other day, really cool color design on the record itself:

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 29, 2023

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

pwn posted:

I'm mesmerized by the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxl2r6GuL2w

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Girl from Brilliant Colors also in Flesh World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0xqO8an3H0

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That was the first time I ever saw anyone playing synth drums.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The McLusky Do Dallas anniversary repress / remaster might be the most cursed record in existence. So many delays and pressing fuckups. Feel bad for Falco but it's also very funny.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

The McLusky Do Dallas anniversary repress / remaster might be the most cursed record in existence. So many delays and pressing fuckups. Feel bad for Falco but it's also very funny.

I remember totally marking out in the theater when McClusky started playing in "Observe and Report"

edit: This one goes hard

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 31, 2023

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

haljordan posted:

What types of turntables do people itt use? I have this beast of a Collaro that is over 50 years old and still works perfectly.

I've been using a Dual 1215 that I got from the Goodwill for the past five years:

It's from 1970 and uses an idler tire. I worry that some day the rubber will perish, but it's held up alright for the past 53 years.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

wa27 posted:

I've been using a Dual 1215 that I got from the Goodwill for the past five years:

It's from 1970 and uses an idler tire. I worry that some day the rubber will perish, but it's held up alright for the past 53 years.

Nice! I was looking for newer record players on Amazon and whatnot but they all seem like pieces of total junk that would die after a year. I'm glad my dad offered me his.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

haljordan posted:

Nice! I was looking for newer record players on Amazon and whatnot but they all seem like pieces of total junk that would die after a year. I'm glad my dad offered me his.

Some brands are junk, but there are lots of great quality new turntables still being made. I've been using an Audio Technica AT-LP120 for nearly a decade now and it's fantastic.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Some brands are junk, but there are lots of great quality new turntables still being made. I've been using an Audio Technica AT-LP120 for nearly a decade now and it's fantastic.

Yeah I guess it's mainly my fault due to not knowing what to look for lol. I will make a note of that model though for sure, you never know when you'll need a replacement.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Turbinosamente posted:

I don't have the physical record yet, but the Sparks' newest album is out today and it's a banger imho.

was gonna wait to get a copy before I heard it (outside of the advance singles, which rule) and it turns out my local shop won't stock it because they'd have to charge $40 for it? even looking online, you can't find it for less than $35 + shipping, and it's only a single LP. I wonder what's going on there, I know records have gotten expensive lately but even still new LPs generally sit in the $25-30 range, 35-40 if it's a double.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

JAMOOOL posted:

was gonna wait to get a copy before I heard it (outside of the advance singles, which rule) and it turns out my local shop won't stock it because they'd have to charge $40 for it? even looking online, you can't find it for less than $35 + shipping, and it's only a single LP. I wonder what's going on there, I know records have gotten expensive lately but even still new LPs generally sit in the $25-30 range, 35-40 if it's a double.

That's what has prevented me from buying it too. That's bonkers for a single LP. I paid $25 for the variant edition of their previous album. I'm guessing them being back on Island has something to do with the price jump.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Stumbled upon a nice copy of Pigmeat Markham - Here Come The Judge at a thrift store.

Holy crap, this was released in 1968??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRS62nccwmw

pwn
May 27, 2004

Boinks posted:

Stumbled upon a nice copy of Pigmeat Markham - Here Come The Judge at a thrift store.

Holy crap, this was released in 1968??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRS62nccwmw

He was a Vaudevillian who experienced a revival that year due to his appearance on Laugh-In's freshman season, where his comedy routine "here come da judge" was a hit. Here's one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N5iMvnV0uA

He recorded that song based on that routine, as did several other unrelated artists, most notably Shorty Long.

Back in 2015 I bought a download of a full Tonight Show from the Johnny Carson website. It was aired June 19 1968, the summer after Laugh-In's first season, and Markham was a guest. This is one of 33 episodes known to survive in full and in colour from Carson's ten years in New York.

Years ago I uploaded a clip to Vimeo, only the final beat of Markham's routine is here but it's something. The NBC Orchestra also does a beautiful rendition of "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" to close the show.

https://vimeo.com/199811809

Edit: Hey! Someone uploaded his entrance and performance of the song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohq9h6QIcHY

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 31, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

haljordan posted:

Imagine being the person who has to read hundreds of <12-word reasons to see Rod Stewart.

:eyepop:

I seriously thought it was a deep fried version at first and was gonna seek out a better upload but nope, that square aspect ratio and posterization was a choice lol

Also I would be remiss if I didn't post this cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Bi-7-6YrM

Toe Rag posted:

Girl from Brilliant Colors also in Flesh World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0xqO8an3H0

Oh cool thanks! Gonna be checking out more of her.

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 31, 2023

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Cross posting from the QOTSA thread:

IG-88 posted:

https://reddit.com/r/qotsa/comments/13wlxy4/listening_parties_all_over_the_world/

Anyone wanna link up at We Got the Beats in Fort Lauderdale?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

haljordan posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
just put in for this on the buy nothing group