Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Tai posted:

Was it Cyprus or Malta that Russians would buy an easy to obtain passport from said country for EU access which caused a tonne of anger amongst other EU countries.

Both countries sell citizenship, but you can stay on Cyprus for 180 days per year if you own property (and you can probably send your passport on vacation in Russia to stay all year).

The EU sanctions should have made all this more difficult for Russians and I think I read somewhere that Cyprus will partly become a member of the Schengen zone very soon, which should make it even harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

steinrokkan posted:

People of Ukraine have suffered enough

looks like someone forgot that McDonalds is the place to rock. People flock there to get down to the rock music.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1662577288892874752
https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1662583479454818310
Here we go again.....

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Putin poo poo his pants again and the only way to distract the generals from the stink is to tell them to launch another 40% of Russia's remaining irreplaceable cruise missles at military targets like apartment buildings, pylons and tractors. Truely a mastermind of the ages.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

They don't seem to actually be running out of missiles, though. How quickly are they able to make them?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Putin, aka "a real piece of poo poo"

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Joke Miriam posted:

They don't seem to actually be running out of missiles, though. How quickly are they able to make them?

The amount of airstrikes using modern missiles has dropped significantly since last year. They burned through almost their entire existing stocks and they can only make more when they manage to evade sanctions and get the chips they need for the electronics systems. A good portion of the looted electronics like washing machines early in the invasion were sent back to be scrapped for their chips.

The frequency of these strikes and their composition of ordnance used is also very different than what it used to be. A lot of the airstrikes are conducted with Iranian Shahed drones instead of Russian ones, and Russian UAVs are in short supply as well. It's extremely funny to see the trickle of good missiles they can produce get wasted on poo poo with absolutely no military value whatsoever. Well, it would be funny, if the targets weren't civilians

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

HonorableTB posted:

The amount of airstrikes using modern missiles has dropped significantly since last year. They burned through almost their entire existing stocks and they can only make more when they manage to evade sanctions and get the chips they need for the electronics systems. A good portion of the looted electronics like washing machines early in the invasion were sent back to be scrapped for their chips.

The frequency of these strikes and their composition of ordnance used is also very different than what it used to be. A lot of the airstrikes are conducted with Iranian Shahed drones instead of Russian ones, and Russian UAVs are in short supply as well. It's extremely funny to see the trickle of good missiles they can produce get wasted on poo poo with absolutely no military value whatsoever. Well, it would be funny, if the targets weren't civilians

This is a very interesting observation and I must conclude that Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Putin is an ouroboros of incessant poo poo

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

HonorableTB posted:

The amount of airstrikes using modern missiles has dropped significantly since last year.

I read a report saying the amount of these strikes has roughly halved. I think they have a lot of munitions, but it does seem unsustainable for Russia

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Invade a country, steal their washing machines, cannibalize them for chips to put in missiles to attack that country

If that were the premise of a MAD Magazine three-pager Bill Gaines would send it back for a total rewrite

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Invade a country, steal their washing machines, cannibalize them for chips to put in missiles to attack that country

If that were the premise of a MAD Magazine three-pager Bill Gaines would send it back for a total rewrite

Duck Soup 2: Stolen Loo

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Russia - Their military is running out of basic supplies such as ammo and even food.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-food-weapons-shortage-ukraine-b2041181.html

Supplies for Russian soldiers are so low they have only three days’ worth of food, ammunition and fuel left, the Ukrainian general staff of the armed forces have claimed.

“According to available information, the Russian occupation forces operating in Ukraine have stockpiles of ammunition and food for no more than three days,” the armed forces official said in a statement.

It added: “The situation is similar with fuel, which is replenished by tank trucks. The occupiers were unable to organise a pipeline to meet the needs of the grouping of troops.”

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

fizzy posted:

Bad news for Russia - Their military is running out of basic supplies such as ammo and even food.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-food-weapons-shortage-ukraine-b2041181.html

Supplies for Russian soldiers are so low they have only three days’ worth of food, ammunition and fuel left, the Ukrainian general staff of the armed forces have claimed.

“According to available information, the Russian occupation forces operating in Ukraine have stockpiles of ammunition and food for no more than three days,” the armed forces official said in a statement.

It added: “The situation is similar with fuel, which is replenished by tank trucks. The occupiers were unable to organise a pipeline to meet the needs of the grouping of troops.”
March 23

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
Lukashenko hospitalized after meeting with Putin

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Lukashenko drank the tea the schmuck

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Luka: VLAD, YOU GAVE ME THE OL' SPICY TEA, HOW COULD YOU GIVE YOUR OWN VASSAL THE SPICY TEA

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Vlad farted, Luka departed.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1662526151204405251
:qqsay: We only wanted to peacefully invade and conquer all the former soviet states, why are you resisting us

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

I find it funny how mad they get when you take down a statue or remove a pointless honorary title from some Soviet leader. Nobody normal cares about honorary citizenships or whatever. It's like if Kyiv took away Putin's key to the city.

Joke Miriam fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 28, 2023

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Joke Miriam posted:

I find it funny how mad they get when you take down a statue or remove a pointless honorary title from some Soviet leader. Nobody normal cares about honorary citizenships or whatever. It's like if Kyiv took away Putin's key to the city.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-global-race-britain-statues-idUSKBN26J2ZL

UK government warns museums not to remove statues over protests

LONDON (Reuters) - The British government has warned a number of cultural institutions that their public funding could be called into question should they remove statues or other objects that have become the focus of protests or complaints.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/freedom-of-thought/news/poland-and-france-come-to-blows-over-statue-of-late-pope/

More than 38,000 people signed an online petition as of Thursday protesting against a French court order to remove a cross from a statue of the late Polish-born Pope John Paul II in Brittany, western France...

Although the statue of the late pontiff itself is not in question, the court’s move drew ire in heavily Roman Catholic Poland where the Polish-born saint is widely revered and religious symbols are not restricted by law.

Rightwing Prime Minister Beata Szydlo offered last weekend to move the statue to Poland to “save it from censorship”, calling John Paul II “a great European” symbolising a “united Christian Europe”.

Szydlo added that “the dictate of the political correctness — the secularisation of the state — opens the door to values that are culturally alien to us and that lead to Europeans being terrorised in their daily lives”.

fizzy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 28, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Joke Miriam posted:

this is what happens when you incubate 300 years of national inferiority complex

see also: stupid racist southerners mad about removing confederate statues, taking down the rebel flag, and renaming military bases named after confederate generals

see also also: britain post-empire, everything about it for the last 60 years

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 28, 2023

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HonorableTB posted:

this is what happens when you incubate 300 years of national inferiority complex

A bit rude to accuse the UK and Polish peoples (two of the staunchest supporters of Ukraine) of national inferiority complex.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

fizzy posted:

A bit rude to accuse the UK and Polish peoples of national inferiority complex.

poland doesnt have an inferiority complex so much as it has 400 year old longstanding grudges and its gonna do something about it kurwa (this is the general attitude of most of eastern europe and the baltics and southeast europe and central asia and and and...when it comes to russia tbh)

the pope john paul thing was more because he was polish and the poles are an extremely catholic country by and large (plus their governments have been quite right wing for some time now, Duda is..not great!!)

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 28, 2023

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Poland just hadn't been the same since they broke up with Lithuania

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Poland really kinda sucks but this war is basically one of the few times they're dead on.

I was hoping Orban being a Putin supporter would break up the awful bromance Hungary and Poland has going on.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

HonorableTB posted:

Luka: VLAD, YOU GAVE ME THE OL' SPICY TEA, HOW COULD YOU GIVE YOUR OWN VASSAL THE SPICY TEA

Luka had served his purpose; his replacement will be a bland-faced FSB weasel to oversee the 2024 accession referendum. 119% of the population in unanimous democratic vote to dissolve their national identity and instead join the glorious rus federation, hooray

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deki posted:

Poland really kinda sucks but this war is basically one of the few times they're dead on.

I was hoping Orban being a Putin supporter would break up the awful bromance Hungary and Poland has going on.

Greece has joined the Hungarian bro-fest, regrettably.

https://www.politico.eu/article/new-sanctions-against-russia-stuck-limbo-greece-hungary-protest-ukraine-war/

Hungary has won an unlikely ally.

After largely playing solo in its opposition against Russian sanctions, Budapest is now getting support from Athens in its skepticism over the freshest measures against Russia, five EU diplomats told POLITICO.

The EU is currently discussing its 11th sanctions package against Russia after the start of Moscow’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine more than a year ago. Whereas the 10 previous sanctions packages focused on measures to empty Vladimir Putin’s war chest, Brussels now wants to avoid its sanctions being circumvented. In an unprecedented step for the bloc, the current package could target other countries helping Moscow dodge its trade embargo.

But Budapest and Athens have thrown a collective spanner in the works by linking their approval for the package to a separate thorny issue involving Ukraine. Kyiv has compiled a list of private companies it calls "war sponsors,” which includes a number of European companies.

The odd couple wants some of their companies struck off this list before they will agree to the sanctions package. While these issues normally aren’t linked, Hungary and Greece are using the sanctions package as political leverage to get their companies off Ukraine’s list.

At a meeting of EU ambassadors Wednesday, Greece was very much at the forefront of the discussion, four of the diplomats said. Athens pushed back against suggestions of sanction circumvention.

“Greece reiterated that, should there be concrete evidence of violation of sanctions, these should be brought to the attention of the member states concerned, at the technical level, so that this be adequately investigated and then due action will be taken,” an EU diplomat familiar with the dossier said. “In the case of the Ukrainian name-and-shame list, the Greek companies are accused as International War Sponsors even though they are not violating the restrictive measures against Russia.”

Another EU diplomat said that while they empathized with the Greek position, “the question is how much does it damage [their economy], and Greece says it's very damaging. We don't have a problem with that position — but independently of that we of course want the next sanctions package."

zone
Dec 6, 2016

More than 40 russian drones were shot down over Kyiv last night.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Zone please remind me. Do you live in Russia? I thought you did .
Have you seen these Prigohzin presidential campaign posters? "a Strong Leader for Russia"

Lol.

Prigohzin should probably stay away from bathrooms and ktichens, most dangerous places in the home. Sharp objects, slipper surfaces, gas appliances.... Really dangerous places.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Oldsmobile posted:

Putin's power is fracturing and everyone knows it and the country is likely to descend in to civil war.

Nah there is no hint of cracks in their main professional military + their state security service which is still rock solid royal to Putin.

One or the other will have to crack first before Putin's power will truly begin to fracture.

Even if Russia loses the war this might not happen.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Nah there is no hint of cracks in their main professional military + their state security service which is still rock solid royal to Putin.

One or the other will have to crack first before Putin's power will truly begin to fracture.

Even if Russia loses the war this might not happen.

what professional military doing

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Does Luka get any good guy points in the end? I occasionally wonder if he's been doing more behind the scenes to keep Putin at bay/maintain national identity than we give him credit for. would Putin have invaded Belarus as well if Luka had ceded to Tikhanovskaya? Is this completely delusional?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

A good portion of the looted electronics like washing machines early in the invasion were sent back to be scrapped for their chips.

Do you have a source for this? I've been hearing it here and there but as far as I can tell it's pure speculation, and we should be careful parroting it as gospel.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

spankmeister posted:

Do you have a source for this? I've been hearing it here and there but as far as I can tell it's pure speculation, and we should be careful parroting it as gospel.

Eh, sometimes we're allowed to have a little fun. If that means speculating on washing machine processors or thoroughbred loads, then so be it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Source: Trust me bro

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I mean, there are smaller and lighter things to loot for their microprocessors than washing machines lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

spankmeister posted:

I mean, there are smaller and lighter things to loot for their microprocessors than washing machines lol.

Fragments of the Moskva for example