Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night Witch
Jul 20, 2015

Katya, my dear, we will live long.

Midnight Voyager posted:

You might want a separate bed from your gf. I know you might want to sleep in the same bed as her, but it sounds like you'd both have more comfortable beds if you weren't having to half-way your mattress for each other.

I've been to some hotels where the bed is two connected twin mattresses. I think it makes it easier and cheaper for the hotels to replace damaged mattresses. This would also allow you and your partner to pick out exactly the type of mattress you want. And if your mattress wears out faster than the other one, you only have to replace your twin mattress instead of a whole king mattress.

https://www.top10mattressinabox.co.uk/joining-two-single-beds-to-make-a-super-king/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Remulak posted:

WRT big guy beds, vaguely knew a couple of former pro football players, they would do bouncer stuff on the weekends at the bar I worked at. They both talked about their waterbeds and how awesome they were.

I hope I contributed something.

Thundering fatass reporting in, can confirm my waterbed was *goddamn amazing* and I miss it.

It didn't burst, but several years of wear (the mattress was -just ever so slightly- too big for the frame we'd built our drat selves, which 20 years later is still sturdy) wore a hole in it somewhere and it started leaking. Which led us to realize we did not think it through completely because my bed is -very- low to the ground, meaning that gravity draining it was... not an option. We had to get a drill-powered pump and drain that sucker manually and let me tell you, that is not an adventure we wish to repeat. So now I use a partially memory foam mattress.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 28, 2023

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
-derail was finally ended. scusa

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 28, 2023

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

kimbo305 posted:

He expects the average Redditor to have the average cop’s investigative skills.

He expects them to shoot the dog?

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

Elviscat posted:

I'm about 275 at 6'4, I'm a big muscular guy, and obviously overweight on top of that, I'm also a side-sleeper. I have the exact same problem as OP where I crush the mattress, which is about a year old, properly set up on the recommended base. The mattress springs back pretty quick when we rotate it to my GF's side, and the foot portion doesn't get as hosed up as where my hips and shoulder lay. It's not a bargain-basement mattress, but it's on the cheaper end. I'm down about 15 lbs over the last year, but ~230 is my minimum and just over what I wrestled at in high school when I was doing an hour+ of cardio every day, and that's heavy enough to destroy mattresses too.

Anyways, anyone have recommendations for mattresses built for men of heft? My loving back is killing me.

I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews for this company: https://www.bigfigmattress.com

Also someone mentioned latex mattresses, and they typically hold up much better than either traditional springs or memory foam.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for asking my BIL to stop reading bedtime stories to his kids until me, my husband, and the kids leave?

quote:

My husband Tom got into a business crisi and we've lost our apartment. We moved in with my sister Ella and her husband Noah. Their kids are nearly the same age as mine (we have 2 girls <7 & 5 yo). My girls share a room with their cousins (also girls) since Tom didn't want the girls sleeping with us in the guests room.

Everything was going well, until Tom spoke to me about what Noah does with his kids and that's reading them a bedtime story every night before they went to sleep. I was confused and asked what the problem was and he said that Noah does it while our daughters are in the room (during bedtime so all kids are all obviously in bed) and he (Tom) didn't want our daughters to ask why we don't do the same for them. I asked what we should do and he asked if I could speak with Noah or Ella and ask them to stop doing this until we're out of the house. Now tbh, I wasn't convinced by his argument til he talked about how this might affect how our daughters see and think of us seeing that we don't read them bedtime stories because we simply don't think it's that essential for us as parents to do. Tom also believes that bedtime stories habit is a waste of time and affects kids' slerping habits.

So I spoke with Noah and he got sort of annoyed and suggested that he read to my girls as well but Tom refused and considered this as "Noah trying to parent for him". I thanked Noah for his offer but asked again if he'd consider our request. He called me and Tom unreasonable and said that my nieces are used to this story reading habits and he won't change it nomatter what. I took this up with Ella and she berated me saying that me and Tom were out of line and that we were being ridiculous and controlling. I tried to have a calm conversation with her but she kept giving ne the cold shoulder. We had another argument this morning and she said I could have the girls sleep with me and their dad but Tom says it's not an option. In my opinion, it's not really that big of a deal since it wan't like we're asking Noah to not read stories to the kids ever again, it's just temporarily til we leave.

On another note, I do think Tom is being unreasonable refusing to let the girls move to the guests room.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kids these days with their slerping habits :jerkbag:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
:sad:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
please stop showing my kids what a lovely parent i am

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for asking my BIL to stop reading bedtime stories to his kids until me, my husband, and the kids leave?

I wonder if the "business crisis" is "Tom got fired for being an rear end in a top hat"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Foo Diddley posted:

please stop showing my kids what a lovely parent i am

"I heard some weird sounds from the other room."
"Oh, he's just singing them a bedtime song."
"What's a... song, mother?"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

blight rhino posted:

-derail was finally ended. scusa

Let me tell you all about my waterbed filled with milk and my steak pillow.

For actual content

AITA for not wanting to go to Hawaii with my family?

quote:

My BIL(45m) has a timeshare in Hawaii and invited all of us to go. That’s me (36f), my husband (35m) my mother (61f), my boys (14m, 12m, 6m) plus their family (my sister (26f) and their daughter (2f).

My mother has MS and it has gotten worse over the last year. I am her main caregiver and chauffeur. I don’t mind any of this obviously. It’s what you do. My sister had a difficult bout with postpartum and is not handling motherhood very well. My niece can be needy so I often take her off my sister’s hands.

Needless to say, when offered this all expenses paid trip, I was psyched. I needed the vacay badly! My husband is a surgical resident and realized that he wouldn’t be able to go for the full 10 days but would make it for a weekend.

One night we were all at my sister’s house planning the trip and hubby asked about accommodations for mom, which then turned into a conversation about sharing the responsibility of caring for mom while we’re there (helping her get in and out of cars, getting dressed, etc). BIL said that since I’m used to it the most, it’s only natural I manage mom’s care. Plus, my sister will be dealing with my niece. And he says that the boys shouldn’t be put to work on their vacay.

My husband defended me that it’s unfair to put it all on me as it’s a vacation for everyone. I suggested we hire a caregiver to accompany us. Bil agreed but only if me and hubby pay for it.

We went home and I told my husband that I’m not going but the boys can still go. He said that was probably for the best, and he’ll still take those days off and we’ll have a staycation.

Well, he told my sister and bil, and they are not happy. They think I’m ungrateful, and it’s really rude for me to pawn my sons off on them to spite them. My sister thinks I’m punishing her for not being present in mom’s care all along. Btw, my mother feels thrown in the middle and won’t take sides.

So reddit aita?

lol no, you're just going there to look after the person that needs care while we get to enjoy ourselves. What? How dare you tell us to go and get hosed!

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 28, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
"it's just until we leave," say the people who have no means of leaving

so in a situation like this, how long do you wait before you start making demands of the people who are hosting you for free, like what's the etiquette here? i'm thinking you start with small demands as you're unpacking and then work your way up. demanding changes in someone's parenting style shouldn't happen until at least the day after you arrive

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Coca Koala posted:

On the invites, specify that children are mandatory. They don’t need to be yours, but each guest and +1 needs to have a child accompanying them at all times.

Also all of them, of any gender, have to be flower girls.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

so in a situation like this, how long do you wait before you start making demands of the people who are hosting you for free, like what's the etiquette here? i'm thinking you start with small demands as you're unpacking and then work your way up. demanding changes in someone's parenting style shouldn't happen until at least the day after you arrive

Try to claim the master bedroom first

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

"Give me a hand to unpack that box."

* 3 weeks later *

"Can you live in the garage? Just until we leave"

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

DEAR HARRIETTE: A woman I used to go to school with contacted me the other day and asked if I could help her secure a job at the company I work for. While normally I would be more than happy to help a former classmate, this woman was not particularly nice to me during our time in school. I can't help but feel hesitant about using my professional connections to assist someone who did not treat me kindly in the past. However, I also heard through the grapevine that this woman is currently going through a divorce. I don't know any of the details surrounding her situation, but I do know how difficult it can be to navigate the job market during tough times. I feel a pang of empathy for someone who might be struggling. What would you recommend I do in this situation? -- Former Classmate

DEAR FORMER CLASSMATE: It is fine to have empathy, but don’t forget the past. Find out if you can meet up with this woman to talk to her, either in person or on a video chat. It would be great to see her face when you talk. Ask her about her life. See what she chooses to divulge. Find out her qualifications. If you are to connect her with your employer, you want to make sure that she is a viable candidate. Your reputation will be on the line when you make that connection.

But before connecting her, bring up the elephant in the room. Remind her that when you knew each other in school, she was unkind to you. Tell her you are surprised that she would reach out, but since she has, you think this past behavior needs to be addressed before you move forward. Make her accountable for her actions. How she responds to all of it should determine whether you open the door for her potential entry into your company.

If you're not certain about getting someone a job in your field it's a no. It's not that complicated.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
If someone from the past tries to contact you and you have less than positive feelings about them? You can just ignore them. I've done it. Feels good. Block and move on.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MrQwerty posted:

I wonder if the "business crisis" is "Tom got fired for being an rear end in a top hat"

I bet he was a contractor and the crisis was him blowing it on "investments" (crypto).

OP's sister and bil sound like saints, they must have gone out and bought a bunch of furniture to fit the 4 girls in one room, probably moved one of them out of the guest room, are obviously helping parent their nieces, and didn't kick OP and her worthless piece of poo poo husband the gently caress out their house the second they demanded they be shittier parents to their own kids.

'Cause I would've told them my nieces can stay, and they can sleep in their car if they tried that poo poo with me.

E: thanks for the mattress advice all.

trickybiscuits posted:

If you're not certain about getting someone a job in your field it's a no. It's not that complicated.

I've been in this position a lot since becoming a hiring manager, it's always people I would never dream of hiring or recommending other hire.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 28, 2023

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

trickybiscuits posted:

She doesn't mention how long it's been since they last saw each other, but clearly long enough for the other woman to have gotten married and divorced. And they knew each other in school. Just say "I don't feel like we know each other well enough for me to recommend you."

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Elviscat posted:

It's super lame! It's 2023 and no one I know is even pretending to do any "traditional" no sex before marriage or non-cohabitation or church weddings anymore, but they're still all doing the white dress thing.

My SIL wore a bright red satin dress when she married my brother (her second marriage), and it was awesome, the vest on his tux matched and contrasted with our (the groomsmen's) white satin vests and made for amazing photos. Side benefit was a really nice dress was $200 instead of $2,000.

Whoa, so this time the red dress actually did mean that she'd hosed the groom!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Cloacamazing! posted:

She doesn't mention how long it's been since they last saw each other, but clearly long enough for the other woman to have gotten married and divorced. And they knew each other in school. Just say "I don't feel like we know each other well enough for me to recommend you."

No just go "oh this person sucked" and then block them and move on with your life. You don't owe them a response in any situation.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
WIBTA for spraying/pulling out my neighbors dandelions

quote:

Okay, the title sounds pretty silly, but I'm seriously frustrated.

My neighbors garden is covered in dandelions. I don't mean many dandelions, I mean so many yellow flowers and white dandelion puffs that you can barely see the ground underneath- literally covered in dandelions. I'm an avid gardener who enjoys gardening and planting over the summer, and as you can imagine, this has been a nightmare for me. It's hard enough to stay on top of dandelions when your neighbor isn't waging biological warfare on you with thousands of little dandelion seeds landing in your lawn constantly. On top of all of that, I'm somewhat allergic, and I can barely step out my front door anymore without my nose dripping a waterfall of snot, stuffy nose and my eyes watering.

I tried to use dandelion sprays on my lawns and just pulling them out when I see them- it barely worked.

I tried talking to my neighbor and asking them to maybe take care of their garden a little bit- I even offered to do it for them, free of charge. They declined.

I tried reporting the issue, but nothing came of it- I guess weed control laws aren't heavily enforced.

At this point, I feel like pulling out all the dandelions myself, or at least spraying some sort of killer on their lawn to see if it helps, because I can't deal with this anymore.

WIBTA?

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Thundering fatass reporting in, can confirm my waterbed was *goddamn amazing* and I miss it.

It didn't burst, but several years of wear (the mattress was -just ever so slightly- too big for the frame we'd built our drat selves, which 20 years later is still sturdy) wore a hole in it somewhere and it started leaking. Which led us to realize we did not think it through completely because my bed is -very- low to the ground, meaning that gravity draining it was... not an option. We had to get a drill-powered pump and drain that sucker manually and let me tell you, that is not an adventure we wish to repeat. So now I use a partially memory foam mattress.

I'm a side sleeper with buggered shoulders from years of judo, mauy thai, and working over my head.
Waterbeds are magic, no more numb hands at night from pinching nerves, but I also sold it.

Why? Because I was sleeping in it when a magnitude 7.1 earthquake rocked through and the resulting experience put me off it for life

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Evil Willow posted:

WIBTA for spraying/pulling out my neighbors dandelions

"I have hay fever and I'm mad about my neighbor's lawn so I'm going to trespass and pour herbicide, noted for always staying in one place and never leaching in runoff ever, which will have no negative consequences for me ever, right?"

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Dandelion leaves are delicious i'd imagine herbicide ruins the flavor.

His neighbor might have lawn hacked his way into endless salad and this rear end in a top hat wants to go and ruin that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Dandelions are awesome, nutritious, and altogether a pretty attractive plant. Perfectly manicured lawns are a blight on the planet. I also don't believe that it's illegal to grow dandelions because of "weed control laws", whereas trespassing is a crime in AFAIK pretty much everywhere.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Elviscat posted:

I've been in this position a lot since becoming a hiring manager, it's always people I would never dream of hiring or recommending other hire.

I've been in the same position a few times - literally not one person asking me to put the good word in was someone I'd want in the position.

So I'd either agree to recommend them and just not. Or go to the hiring manager and tell them my honest opinion.

Not trying to ruin things for them, more "Hey, if you're interviewing this person and they bring up my name, I'm not willing to stand behind them. But use your judgement whether you hire them or not."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A decent fence or greenhouse would keep out most of the seeds, right? If you're offering to spend I don't know how much to garden their dandelion army for free, then you could probably invest in a small covered area for a garden.

If it's an allergy thing, well it kinda blows but it's their garden and if the authorities aren't going to make them handle it then it's kind of out of your hands.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Dandelions are awesome, nutritious, and altogether a pretty attractive plant. Perfectly manicured lawns are a blight on the planet. I also don't believe that it's illegal to grow dandelions because of "weed control laws", whereas trespassing is a crime in AFAIK pretty much everywhere.

I honestly started my post as a drunken anti-lawn rant but decided to go with "yum dandelions" instead because it's 4am and I would rather stab myself in the face than preaching to the choir.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Milk.. or not to milk? That is the question - Abraham Einstein

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to do a paternity test.

quote:

I (F 22) and my husband (M 22) have 2 beautiful kids (F 5 and M 1) who are the best part of my life. I got pregnant with my first baby at 17 and moved in with my husband and his family at 18. My daughter looks a lot like me, and people have always commented on how similar we look. My mother in law has always supported me and has been such a huge help with the kids.

I am half asian (My father was Japanese and Korean mix) yet many people have no idea until i tell them as I am white passing. I have always introduced myself as a European because I am not in touch with my asian heritage, and also because my father is not part of my life anymore and I don't like to talk about him. My mother in law knows this and my race thank fully isn't important to her.

However, as my daughter is getting older is it getting very clear she is part asian. She has small, sharp eyes and tan skin. Of course, she is beautiful and nothing about her looks worries us since we knew there would be a chance her asian genes would "shine through" however my mother in law has commented a few times that she might not be my husbands as before him I always had a thing for asian men.

About a week ago, my mother in law made a large dinner and invited us over to eat. She sat our entire family (children included) down at the dining table and asked if we would be able to do a paternity test to find out about my daughters heritage. I told my mother in law that she was part Korean, part Japanese and part german thinking nothing of it, but my mother in law asked me if I was sure and then said my daughter looks "too Chinese." I was shocked and asked my mother in law what she meant, and it was then my mother in law told me that she didn't think the baby was my husbands and that she wanted to do a DNA test to make sure.

She said this right in front of my daughter who is smart enough to know what is going on, and immediately started asking questions. I was furious and called out my mother in law for being rude and embarrassing me and then told her I has nothing to prove and if she didn't think her granddaughter was hers she didn't have to be in her life.

My husband and I left straight away and have not contacted her since, but my father in law has been coming to our door, telling us we overreacted and if I would just take the test this would all be over but I feel that would affect my pride as not just a person, but as a wife and mother.

So, Am I the rear end in a top hat?

EDIT:

I would just like people to know that although my Mother in law has been very harsh recently, throughout my time with her she has been very kind and loving and please only judge her as what is happening here (overall she is a great person). Also she is NOT a racist and the problem is not because she is un-happy with me or my daughters race.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

ApplesandOranges posted:

A decent fence or greenhouse would keep out most of the seeds, right? If you're offering to spend I don't know how much to garden their dandelion army for free, then you could probably invest in a small covered area for a garden.

If it's an allergy thing, well it kinda blows but it's their garden and if the authorities aren't going to make them handle it then it's kind of out of your hands.

I am very curious what kind of fence can keep dandelion seeds from spreading. (It's me, I am the neighbor with a yard full of cheerful yellow flowers and white puffballs.)

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Desert Bus posted:

No just go "oh this person sucked" and then block them and move on with your life. You don't owe them a response in any situation.

Or that, yeah. Anything that's not "set up a series of meetings with some random bully you haven't even thought about in the past ten years because maybe they have changed and you can be the bigger person now", which is what that column seems to go for.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to do a paternity test.

So is the mother in law also Asian and doing some intra-Asian racism here?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Mac and me reboot looks hosed.up. Still looks better than the original

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pirate Radar posted:

So is the mother in law also Asian and doing some intra-Asian racism here?

Going by the baby's heritage, mother-in-law is German.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

NGDBSS posted:

It absolutely sounds like the wife and her boss are in a relationship, yes. Which is something to be worried about, but not because of the trial separation but instead because he's her boss and there's an inherent power imbalance going on here.

Lol that this was your takeaway from that post

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Someone’s parking in my spot both literally and figuratively. Being told this is a work thing. Quid pro quo parking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also all of them, of any gender, have to be flower girls.

Yes, invite children and make sure to provide an unlimited sweet bar and a large chocolate fountain at the reception.