Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Google Jeb Bush posted:

people much more obsessed with the texas legislature than i am seem to think it's essentially a factional struggle that paxton, uh, wildly misjudged

yeah this is maybe the most likely thing i've heard as a possible instigating factor for the total collapse of Paxton's legislative support

I think it was more that Paxton was going to foist his personal multimillion dollar lawsuit punishments on the state that cause them to finally realize that he was a wholly corrupt dude.

Like, corrupt but letting us win elections? That's okay. Corrupt but making us pay for his fuckups? Off with his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1658485077293285377

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1662625130390986752?s=20

I'm beginning to think Joe Biden may not be very progressive. :smith:

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Tayter Swift posted:

Like how bad a person do you gotta be to be impeached in Texas as a Republican.

They don't care about mycrimes.txt but once you hand them the mycrimes.xml invoice and say "pay this for me thx"

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

...I'd argue that "not letting the goverment default" is a progressive position.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
If the deal closely resembles the one being bandied about earlier in the week, it's Fine - some cuts to the government keeping up with inflation (so, yes, cuts in real terms when we want increases in real terms), some adjustments to Spending Math that could conceivably be a problem when we do this again in two years, and a meaningful but not crippling cut to the IRS expansion because Republicans don't actually care about reducing the deficit.

It's sufficiently Fine that I'm not entirely convinced McCarthy can pass it and/or remain Speaker after ramming it through, so I'm a bit worried the deal might be worse than the above. The one McCarthy was tentatively vaguely okay with earlier in the week is one the rest of us can live with. unless you're a freshly hired IRS agent, in which case tough cookies

e:

quote:

Both sides have suggested one of the main holdups is a GOP effort to expand existing work requirements for recipients of food stamps and other federal aid programs, a longtime Republican goal that Democrats have strenuously opposed. The White House said the Republican proposals were “cruel and senseless.”

They also had appeared to still be laboring over a compromise on federal permitting changes that would ease regulations for developing oil, gas and renewable energy projects and foster new transmission line connections.

McCarthy, who dashed out before the lunch hour Saturday and arrived back at the Capitol with a big box of takeout, declined to elaborate on those discussions

kinda getting the impression that any scary headlines are a step or two up from reading tea leaves

quote:

The Republican proposal on work requirements would save $11 billion over 10 years by raising the maximum age for existing standards that require able-bodied adults who do not live with dependents to work or attend training programs.

Current law applies those standards to recipients under the age of 50. The GOP plan would raise the age to include adults 55 and under. It would lower the number of exemptions that states can grant to some recipients subject to those requirements.

Biden has said the work requirements for Medicaid would be a nonstarter. He initially seemed potentially open to negotiating minor changes on food stamps, now known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, but his position has appeared to harden.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 28, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Google Jeb Bush posted:

If the deal closely resembles the one being bandied about earlier in the week, it's Fine - some cuts to the government keeping up with inflation (so, yes, cuts in real terms when we want increases in real terms), some adjustments to Spending Math that could conceivably be a problem when we do this again in two years, and a meaningful but not crippling cut to the IRS expansion because Republicans don't actually care about reducing the deficit.

It's sufficiently Fine that I'm not entirely convinced McCarthy can pass it and/or remain Speaker after ramming it through, so I'm a bit worried the deal might be worse than the above. The one McCarthy was tentatively vaguely okay with earlier in the week is one the rest of us can live with. unless you're a freshly hired IRS agent, in which case tough cookies
Not sure I understand all of this but here's one report-

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1662631413441523717?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is a better summary

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1662628128034791425?s=20

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
if the snap limits thing sticks it's very bad, if temporary, for a specific vulnerable subset of people, but in ways it's a little difficult to explain (partly because an awful lot of non-recipients don't seem to know or care about how food stamps are applied in practice in the first place)

the energy permitting seems complicated and interesting and I don't actually know if it's Bad

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Google Jeb Bush posted:

if the snap limits thing sticks it's very bad, if temporary, for a specific vulnerable subset of people, but in ways it's a little difficult to explain (partly because an awful lot of non-recipients don't seem to know or care about how food stamps are applied in practice in the first place)

the energy permitting seems complicated and interesting and I don't actually know if it's Bad
In that reporter's thread he mentions that the permitting changes are minimal

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Is this going to pass in time? Or at all? I haven’t kept up on if House Rs are on board with this or not.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Anno posted:

Is this going to pass in time? Or at all? I haven’t kept up on if House Rs are on board with this or not.
No idea yet. That's still unclear, because the drop date is 6/5 (a week from Monday) and Congress is on recess

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Twincityhacker posted:

...I'd argue that "not letting the goverment default" is a progressive position.

It really isn't. That should be the most center of baseline bare minimums.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
from what people are saying in the GBS Trump thread, it seems the most likely true reason why they're finally impeaching Paxton is because he joined in when people were calling out Texas' state speaker of the house for being clearly drunk on the job.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

the_steve posted:

The choice wasn't between "default" and "not default" the choice was between "hurt a lot of people" and "hurt everyone" and all the Republicans had to do was just sit around and wait to see which one Biden picked because they would win either way.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Important to note that just because Biden and McCarthy reached a deal doesn't mean all the republicans are going to be down for it, and it just takes one of them to throw everything off.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Important to note that just because Biden and McCarthy reached a deal doesn't mean all the republicans are going to be down for it, and it just takes one of them to throw everything off.

Also true, McCarthy is abysmal at whipping votes and Matt Gaetz and Majorie Taylor Greene are spiteful tweakers who will sting the frog and drown anyway because lol lmao even

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ralepozozaxe posted:

It'd take more than that, just doing the no confidence vote in the Speaker doesn't take immediate precedence over everything and its likely this would get through before it got processed through committee. Though if the reporting is anywhere near accurate I can't see the HFC not immediately blowing McCarthy's speakership up.

Also still doesn't seem like they have the votes to do this deal anyways.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

the_steve posted:

Yeah, I find it hard to find what's progressive about agreeing to budget deals because of shadow theater. Manufactured crisis and every time it comes up we get another cut closer to death by a thousand.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

"In principle" doing a lot of work here.

I still really wish he would have said screw it you get nothing because Republicans give zero fucks about actually governing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Young Freud posted:

I think it was more that Paxton was going to foist his personal multimillion dollar lawsuit punishments on the state that cause them to finally realize that he was a wholly corrupt dude.

Like, corrupt but letting us win elections? That's okay. Corrupt but making us pay for his fuckups? Off with his head.

Whatever it is itnisnt a "realization" . Everyone has known about Paxton for a long time. I wonder which is replacing him.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
An underrated part of the deal is preventing the Republicans from loving with the budget and causing a shutdown until after the next election, which I am very much for.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

cr0y posted:

"In principle" doing a lot of work here.

I still really wish he would have said screw it you get nothing because Republicans give zero fucks about actually governing.

The problem is that Democrats think that the general populace cares about hypocrisy.
That when the Republicans inevitably launch their "Dems have no interest in bipartisanship" attack ads, that the Dems will be able to point at something like this and say "Nuh uh, here's us trying to do bipartisan." as though Dumbledore is going to pop out of a bald eagle and declare that the Dems are technically correct and therefore win all the points, when what's going to happen is that the Dems will keep going on the defensive about it and act confused when Republicans keep tripling down on it anyways.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Twincityhacker posted:

Why do you think the last several debt ceiling debates evaporated? A default would hurt everyone, including the rich. It’d certainly affect the quality of life of rich people less than poor people, but wealthy Americans taking an L on their finances is one thing American politics just doesn’t abide by, it’s simply not gonna happen if there’s a way to mitigate it by the gov cause they’ll start making phone calls and the house and senate will listen to the purse strings.

Setting this up as a false dichotomy between hurting everyone or just the poor is an entirely manufactured narrative, the third and only realistic good path here was simply democrats doing nothing and waiting until the oligarchy called shots and extended the debt ceiling to protect themselves, which would have happened as it has every previous time it’s come up in our lives.

An important take away people need to accept and look in the eyes is any austerity cut that hurts the impoverished and vulnerable in America is stuff the Biden admin wanted too. Which shouldn’t come as a surprise because Biden has wanted entitlement cuts for basically his entire career and hasn’t even been quiet about it.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Twincityhacker posted:

PoundSand puts it a lot more eloquently than I will. Continuing to sacrifice the impoverished and destitute is not a progressive position

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

PoundSand posted:

Setting this up as a false dichotomy between hurting everyone or just the poor is an entirely manufactured narrative, the third and only realistic good path here was simply democrats doing nothing and waiting until the oligarchy called shots and extended the debt ceiling to protect themselves, which would have happened as it has every previous time it’s come up in our lives.

There's a lot of room to argue over what the most progressive thing Democrats could have done in this situation. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "stand back and trust Capital not to let the fascists and loonies do anything really bad" ain't it though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

theCalamity posted:

PoundSand puts it a lot more eloquently than I will. Continuing to sacrifice the impoverished and destitute is not a progressive position

And it's amazing how quickly the need to have great victories means presenting failure as success and calling anyone who points it out a whiny unrealistic extremist.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

PoundSand posted:

the third and only realistic good path here was simply democrats doing nothing and waiting until the oligarchy called shots and extended the debt ceiling to protect themselves, which would have happened as it has every previous time it’s come up in our lives.

Unless you think "the oligarchy" passes laws by literal supernatural powers (as opposed to by influencing legislators) this is what they did.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

James Garfield posted:

Unless you think "the oligarchy" passes laws by literal supernatural powers (as opposed to by influencing legislators) this is what they did.

Yeah it’s an entirely fair point that influencing legislators into entitlement cuts is precisely what happened but that would be an agreement that needed both parties to be working towards said cuts, if democrats had wanted to avoid this they could have by simply not playing ball. At the end of the day given the option between between hurting themselves (along with everyone else) or kicking the can we would have had the same result as the last several debt struggles. This time there was the option for cuts because democrats were amicable to the idea.

Imo that’s a big part of why we’ve seen such a deluge of articles about why people should be panicking over the debt ceiling this time and frustrated op eds over why people aren’t, there’s a transparent goal of making the general public believe this time was unique and we really needed to sacrifice the poors to avoid a catastrophe.

This is also to say nothing of the several debatable back door options available, from minting the coin to the 14th amendment. Regardless of the feasibility or legality of these defenses they were smothered in the crib by none other than the POTUS himself, unwilling to be used as even a threat.

Ultimately I guess we can see how far in line the legislators will fall because there’s still the ironic chance of this deal being blown up by the freedom caucus so if they do implode things and cause a default I’m more than willing to admit I’m wrong about influence here.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
They don’t need lots of R to vote for it though do they? Just enough so if all democrats voted for it’d pass? They don’t need some super majority like the senate and McCarthy is the one who controls is it’s brought up for a vote?

Also fucks the republicans over real well if they say “ we have a deal” and then they torpedo it because it puts the blame squarely on them
Not much consolation if the global economy is crashing but still

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
At what point does the global economy put pressure on the US to not play games with them?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Levitate posted:

They don’t need lots of R to vote for it though do they? Just enough so if all democrats voted for it’d pass? They don’t need some super majority like the senate and McCarthy is the one who controls is it’s brought up for a vote?

Also fucks the republicans over real well if they say “ we have a deal” and then they torpedo it because it puts the blame squarely on them
Not much consolation if the global economy is crashing but still

Yeah, one possible option is McCarthy forcing a vote despite sufficient far right opposition (more than... six? reps?) that will overwhelmingly pass. He will then become public enemy number two for the frothing lunatic contingent of his base, and if he clings to speakership it will be on the sufferance of Democrats, but he'll be in the good graces of the non-insane billionaires and corps. So it's not to be written off.

The only person who might know what McCarthy is going to decide is McCarthy, and I'm not at all sure he'll know before Tuesday.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gatts posted:

At what point does the global economy put pressure on the US to not play games with them?

approximately right now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gatts posted:

Putting pressure on the US right now, I've heard eloquently described, is like trying to negotiate with a drunk spoiled 16 year old with his dad's loaded gun.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm glad to see once again that the Democrats are simply just Reagan Republicans who still, usually, support abortion (but only as long as it won't cost them their seat).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Depending on the details that come out (And whether it actually passes), I think this might actually be a win for Biden?

Obviously, spending cuts suck and work requirements are stupid as all hell, and if we lived in a country with sane politicians that wouldn't have been the debate. But since the Republicans won the House in November, spending cuts were going to happen — they were never going to pass a budget without them, and they don't care about shutting down the government to make that happen.

(Also the "The Dems are showing their colors as actually being Republicans!" chat is just nonsense, like yeah guys they passed trillions of dollars in spending bills and expanded the child tax credit because they just love making spending cuts, come the gently caress on guys)

But anyway, I think if the deal holds (And the details don't turn out to be particularly heinous, which reportedly they don't seem to be so far), I think it'll turn out as a win for the Dems given the situation — because they're getting two years of a functional government in exchange for only marginal spending cuts and extremely tepid "reform," which in turn defeats the primary advantage Republicans have in holding the House, since they'll no longer be able to threaten to take the government hostage for the rest of Biden's first term. That in and of itself is a big win for Biden, and it's extremely funny to think that McCarthy may have negotiated himself into irrelevancy.

e: Also the Freedom Caucus hates it, which is always a positive indication.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1662678451550076928?s=20

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

What exactly are the ramifications of the work requirements? That part is a real bummer and I want to know exactly what that's going to mean for federal assistance

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Youremother posted:

What exactly are the ramifications of the work requirements? That part is a real bummer and I want to know exactly what that's going to mean for federal assistance
I don't think any specifics have come out yet

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think any specifics have come out yet

Best I've found while looking is

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Youremother posted:

This is what I've seen so far:

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1662666709239463936?t=B13poRA8AC6LJkDrz8MAcQ&s=19

e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Depending on the details that come out (And whether it actually passes), I think this might actually be a win for Biden?

Obviously, spending cuts suck and work requirements are stupid as all hell, and if we lived in a country with sane politicians that wouldn't have been the debate. But since the Republicans won the House in November, spending cuts were going to happen — they were never going to pass a budget without them, and they don't care about shutting down the government to make that happen.

(Also the "The Dems are showing their colors as actually being Republicans!" chat is just nonsense, like yeah guys they passed trillions of dollars in spending bills and expanded the child tax credit because they just love making spending cuts, come the gently caress on guys)

But anyway, I think if the deal holds (And the details don't turn out to be particularly heinous, which reportedly they don't seem to be so far), I think it'll turn out as a win for the Dems given the situation — because they're getting two years of a functional government in exchange for only marginal spending cuts and extremely tepid "reform," which in turn defeats the primary advantage Republicans have in holding the House, since they'll no longer be able to threaten to take the government hostage for the rest of Biden's first term. That in and of itself is a big win for Biden, and it's extremely funny to think that McCarthy may have negotiated himself into irrelevancy.

e: Also the Freedom Caucus hates it, which is always a positive indication.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1662678451550076928?s=20

The Dems also let the child tax credits expire. Are they even trying to get rid of the debt limit? As recently as October 2022, Biden didn't want to get rid of it. And while the Dems were in power, they didn't get rid of it. I doubt that when Dems take the House again that they will remove the debt limit.

Also, although he's not an active politician anymore, Obama still has great standing and influence with the party and he has described himself as a 80s and 90s Republican