Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
How cold is your freezer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Inspector 34 posted:

How cold is your freezer?

Probably hovers around 0-5F, it was in my regular kitchen freezer, not my chest freezer that is always below 0. Also, I pulled it out of the freezer to the fridge about an hour before starting, not that it would do much in that time. Even so, small variations in frozen temp shouldn't make that much difference compared to the actual phase change energy.

If I ever do from frozen again I guess I'll add at least 2 full hours on top of the normal cook time on his charts.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Did you get the water up to temp before putting the meat in? What’s your room temp like this time of year, and is your SV container insulated?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I think it was at 130F when I first put it in, but I'm not counting the time going from 130-155 in the 2 hours it was in, so in reality it's even worse that it didn't get there. So about half hour going from 130-155, and then two hours at 155, and it still only hit 145 internal. No problems with the anova holding temperature and the brats were right near the machine so plenty of circulation blowing right on them. I have a rack to keep them under water so they were not floating or anything silly.

I mean I could be wrong and his overall tables could be fine but the frozen-to-temperature table he has is straight up bullshit, people definitely need to be adding a lot more time if cooking from frozen. I've seen other recommendations online to just add 30-45 mins and such if cooking from frozen. No loving way, even for flat stuff.

So how long is the incubation time on shiga-producing e coli anyway? I guess 3-4 days typically.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 4, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Rescue Toaster posted:

I think it was at 130F when I first put it in, but I'm not counting the time going from 130-155 in the 2 hours it was in, so in reality it's even worse that it didn't get there. So about half hour going from 130-155, and then two hours at 155, and it still only hit 145 internal. No problems with the anova holding temperature and the brats were right near the machine so plenty of circulation blowing right on them. I have a rack to keep them under water so they were not floating or anything silly.

I mean I could be wrong and his overall tables could be fine but the frozen-to-temperature table he has is straight up bullshit, people definitely need to be adding a lot more time if cooking from frozen. I've seen other recommendations online to just add 30-45 mins and such if cooking from frozen. No loving way, even for flat stuff.

So how long is the incubation time on shiga-producing e coli anyway? I guess 3-4 days typically.

Did you check the water temp with the thermometer or are you just going off of the ANOVA reading?

Might not be a bad idea to check calibration and/or get a second opinion for both bath and food temp

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Yep I checked the water temp with my thermapen Mk4, same as I used for the brats. The anova was within one degree of 155. The brats really did only get to 145 from 0F frozen even after more than two hours at 155.

I don't know if it's because the fat in ground sausage gives it much slower conduction than a slab of meat? But to the point where even at nearly double the time his tables show it within 1F it would still be 10F out? I don't know the reason but I'm very confident in the temperatures and times.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 4, 2023

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zarin posted:

Hmm, if the difference isn't the existence of WiFi rather than the type of WiFi then maybe some sort of Tech Priest needs to weigh in and explain if/why the difference matters.

I feel like this is something I should know, but do not.

FWIW 5Ghz transfers data faster, but its stopped/hindered by walls/obstacles more easily. 2.4Ghz is slower but goes through obstacles more reliably.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Suggest me a cut of meat to SV this weekend. Me and the wife are away at a holiday cottage with a gas BBQ, what should I SV then blast on the flames for a nice crust? I'm leaning towards a rib of beef, I want something nice and thick that won't overcook on the grill.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Suggest me a cut of meat to SV this weekend. Me and the wife are away at a holiday cottage with a gas BBQ, what should I SV then blast on the flames for a nice crust? I'm leaning towards a rib of beef, I want something nice and thick that won't overcook on the grill.

Tri-tip!

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Sous vide tri tip finished hot and fast and served with chimichurri is amazing.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

:aaaaa:

How did I not think of this?! I gotta try it next. I have a bad habit of forgetting about tri tip.

Currently have boneless country ribs going. I cannot wait for lunch tomorrow.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

:aaaaa:

How did I not think of this?! I gotta try it next. I have a bad habit of forgetting about tri tip.

Currently have boneless country ribs going. I cannot wait for lunch tomorrow.

Tri-tip benefits hugely from a long cook too, like I usually do 8 hours or so.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Tri-tip it is, forgot about that classic!

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

All of this talk of tri-tip convinced me to sous-vide a ginger soy tri-tip instead of making it on the smoker.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can do both! Sous vide with smoke finish is a great play IMO.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Anybody ever SV chuck roast to get something approximating fajita meat? I was hoping for something sliceable with a little bit of chew.

I'm guessing I can't do a wet marinade for that length of time so I'll just want to use a dry rub? It's been a long time since I got the SV out of the closet.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Human Tornada posted:

Anybody ever SV chuck roast to get something approximating fajita meat? I was hoping for something sliceable with a little bit of chew.

I'm guessing I can't do a wet marinade for that length of time so I'll just want to use a dry rub? It's been a long time since I got the SV out of the closet.

I wound up doing this 136° for 24 hours with a simple dry rub, chilled and then seared and sliced. Turned out exactly how I was hoping. The collagen was still a little crunchy when I was slicing it up but when I reheated it later in the hot skillet it turned out really nice.

I did some kind of barrio x Tex-Mex tacos with flour tortillas, diced onion, molcajete guacamole and four chili salsa roja.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
So I've been doing this thing for myself where I sous vide thick hamburger patties made of store bought ground beef at 136 for 4 hours or so, then finish them in a pan and eat them medium/medium-rare. My assumption is that, despite it being ground, that long in the bath is going to kill all the potential pathogens that were mixed in from the surface.

I'm being asked to make this for other people, and want to double check my logic. Is my assumption good, or have I been playing russian roulette with food safety?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Second and third paragraphs, from Meathead's website amazingribs.com:

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Nice, thank you. That's basically how I understood it but I'd have hated to be wrong with other people's health.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Always good to ask! Some of us might learn something along the way. :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I might’ve asked this before but I forgot

Is the bag juice good for anything

It’d be a shame to throw out all this meaty seasoned liquid

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Steve Yun posted:

I might’ve asked this before but I forgot

Is the bag juice good for anything

It’d be a shame to throw out all this meaty seasoned liquid

I'm not really sure if it would reduce down at all to turn into anything good or not.

When I do steak/prime rib, I toss it in the mixer with the potatoes right before I turn it on to mash 'em. I have no idea how much flavor that actually brings to the table though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I do SV brisket the juices go into a small pot with some bbq sauce and I cook then strain it (bag juices always clump up on me), seems to taste good.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Bag juice can be good for things like gravy and sauces. You'd probably want to filter out the bits of coagulated proteins and herbs (if any) before using it.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
The bag juice from 48-72 hour beef short ribs is liquid gold, all the flavor comes from the bones. My favorite sauce to make with it is Ramsay’s shallot and red wine reduction sauce. I’ve made it with store bought stock as well and it’s just meh. Put it in any sauce that calls for beef stock and it will be way better.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's pure meat juice so it has a different flavor from normal stock (which contains a lot of onions/carrot/celery). Maybe the ideal usage would be adding it to a double stock with extra vegetables, I don't really like it on its own though the shallot and red wine thing sounds like a good use for it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Whenever I do ribs I put a bit of the bag juice into the barbecue sauce that I make to go with them.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Has anyone tried seasoning their steaks before vacu-sealing and freezing? Since I buy steaks from Costco I need to store a good portion of them so it would be kinda nice to just season and freeze, and just start a sous vide on frozen steaks. On the other hand, in my head it won't work because the salt is going to start leeching water out of the steak before it freezes.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I would dry brine with salt the day before, then season before vacuum sealing and freezing. Gives time for the salt to really soak into the meat.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Has anyone tried seasoning their steaks before vacu-sealing and freezing? Since I buy steaks from Costco I need to store a good portion of them so it would be kinda nice to just season and freeze, and just start a sous vide on frozen steaks. On the other hand, in my head it won't work because the salt is going to start leeching water out of the steak before it freezes.

I do this with all meats I vacuum seal and freeze. It's fine and great.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I do this with all meats I vacuum seal and freeze. It's fine and great.

I always wondered about this and kinda worried about the salt and seasoning having some weird effects on the meat over time, but I guess the freezing stops that from happening?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I believe that is the case. My assumption is that things freeze from the outside inwards, so it's not going to be able to penetrate for more than a couple of hours at most. I've always done it with steaks and chicken breasts and I've never noticed any change in texture, or any difference to when I've done it immediately before, with something that never got frozen.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I believe that is the case. My assumption is that things freeze from the outside inwards, so it's not going to be able to penetrate for more than a couple of hours at most. I've always done it with steaks and chicken breasts and I've never noticed any change in texture, or any difference to when I've done it immediately before, with something that never got frozen.

You should split them up next time into half portions and try them both ways. I don’t expect that much will happen negatively either, but it’s fun to make messes in the kitchen. Maybe there’s no perceptible difference in flavor or texture too, it’d be cool to find out.

If anything I’d expect you get a better product by salting ahead, but it will really depend how you treat it in between. Straight from the freezer into the water will keep much from happening prior to starting to cook as well.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Sous vide steak and chops are usually my :effort: cooking, but I'm hosting some friends and want to throw in a bit more effort.

What are people's favorite additions to the bag for steaks? I usually just do rosemary but now's as good a reason as any to step my game up

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Sous vide steak and chops are usually my :effort: cooking, but I'm hosting some friends and want to throw in a bit more effort.

What are people's favorite additions to the bag for steaks? I usually just do rosemary but now's as good a reason as any to step my game up

Thyme also goes well. Instead of adding stuff into the bag, maybe do an herb or truffle butter and give it a good baste when finishing.

I also like to do homemade bernaise, au poirve, or chimicurri. They aren't super difficult to make and are good practice for making sauces.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Think I'm getting an immersion circulator within the next month or so as a birthday gift, specifically looking at the Joule. My partner has pretty strict dietary restrictions and we buy and vacuum seal and freeze and eat a lot of chicken breasts with veggies for dinner. Her parents are also habitual "buy meat in bulk and freeze" people so we're usually getting some overflow pork chops or steaks from them to do the same with. We already have a vacuum sealer and a freezer full of chicken so it kinda seemed like a no-brainer to me. I still have a lot of reading to do as I haven't really delved too deep into the possibilities just yet but I've been reading that it's possible to cook frozen without having to thaw with one of these, is that right? I also don't have a cast iron for searing (apartment living, smokes too much) so will that be an issue? Can I finish something in an air fryer to get some color or will that continue cooking it too much?

Like I said, still lots of reading to do, but getting pretty excited about the possibilities.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

explosivo posted:

I've been reading that it's possible to cook frozen without having to thaw with one of these, is that right?

Yes, that's what I do - I give it an extra 30 mins.

explosivo posted:

I also don't have a cast iron for searing (apartment living, smokes too much) so will that be an issue?

I finish in a non-stick pan. Maybe I'd do differently if I was trying for the best, but this is every-day eating for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yes, that's what I do - I give it an extra 30 mins.

I finish in a non-stick pan. Maybe I'd do differently if I was trying for the best, but this is every-day eating for me.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I figured that would be the case with the pan but thought I'd ask anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Has anyone hosed with reusable sous vide bags? I am starting to use my sous vide for defrosting in addition to cooking (throw some ice and cold water in a bin, set the stick wayyyy down, and throw a frozen piece of meat in a bag and it full defrosts in like an hour.