Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Al! posted:

youre either with the good guys or the bad guys

What if you're an anti-hero? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ytlaya posted:

I think the barrier people like this new guy have is that they are completely and utterly unwilling to accept any outcome that does not "punish the bad guy."

the primitive desert religion that lies at the root of the mind of the occidental holds that subjective morality is to be judged by some phantasmal higher power. in the modern form, divine authourity is replaced with their ruling institutions, complete with perfect moral judgment. denial of their will is therefore blasphemy.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Vomik posted:

agree somewhat although personally I’d wager whatever end state America was working towards would have been a humanitarian disaster far in excess of the invasion if allowed to progress unfettered

I mean, I don't know whose doing the book keeping but I'd venture the US, the IMF, and NATO minors have loaned them 30 billion at this point. That's like 10% of their current gdp (2.23 trillion in US equivalent debt). Every day this continues, they dig deeper into an insolvent position where they will have to sell off government services to private entities to restructure. If they win, they have to firesale everything to transnational corps who'll turn the country into net exporter of food, gas, and minerals while the population lives in utter poverty. Everyone knows the loans aren't getting repaid. It's just a matter of if there will be anything left after the bones get picked.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

crepeface posted:

the primitive desert religion that lies at the root of the mind of the occidental holds that subjective morality is to be judged by some phantasmal higher power. in the modern form, divine authourity is replaced with their ruling institutions, complete with perfect moral judgment. denial of their will is therefore blasphemy.

well nobody expected a kind of spanish inquisition

[door slams open]

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Ukraine's debt problems are easily solved by selling Lwow to Poland.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Neurolimal posted:

The 2014 war was effective because not only was Ukraine ill-prepared for war, not only were none of the power brokers expecting a war, but also half of Ukraine genuinely respects Russia and wants closer ties with Russia. They bribed a lot of officials and basically annexed Crimea overnight, but this wouldn't have been possible if that half of Ukraine did not see Russian control as neutral at worst. Look at basically any demographic map of Ukraine before 2014. If they're Eastern, then they publicly declare their main tongue russian, voted for Yanukovych, believe the USSR was a force for good (if not better than current Ukraine), have more industrialization, and see Russia favorably. The complete opposite is true for the Western half.
Many Ukrainians supported joining the EU. Yanukovych made campaign promises to continue the accession process into joining the EU but he tore that up and signed the agreement with the customs union and this kicked off Maidian.

Neurolimal posted:

Ukraine was not respecting the Minsk agreement. They were shelling civillian centers in DPR for eight years prior to this war. Zelensky did make an early attempt to respect it, but was rebuffed by the nazi groups who held more power (both in military strength & in political clout among Western Ukraine), and learned his lesson.
Most of the deaths in the Donbas occurred in the first 2 years. More civilians died in MH17 than the time period of 2017-2021.

Neurolimal posted:

DPR likely did what they could to pressure Russia to do something about the constant shelling. I also doubt that it was enough to move Russia. Something within Russian intelligence convinced them (correctly or incorrectly) to invade, even with unfavorable weather conditions.
Not sure why you think Russia (or to be specific Putin) is acting in good faith and not being opportunistic with a bad read on the situation.

Neurolimal posted:

1. I do not believe Russia is interested in conquest through war, rather that they do not balk at war to secure its external allies (Syria, Ukraine, Georgia)
A war against their ally, Georgia. With allies like this who needs enemies? It doesn't matter if you don't believe Russia is interested conquest through war. The LPR, DNR have been annexed in to Russia and so have the Kherson and Zaporizhzhia oblasts.

Neurolimal posted:

A victory in Ukraine does not mean Poland nor the rest of Europe is imperiled.
I agree. I also didn't think Putin would be stupid enough to expand the war. But the situation was bad enough for Finland and Sweden to apply to join NATO.

Neurolimal posted:

Defending North Korea from NATO was worth this.
North Korea invaded South Korea the year before NATO was founded and the last time I checked many countries that have never been part of NATO were involved in the Korean war.

Neurolimal posted:

I think a lot of CSPAM, and especially this thread, would agree with this. Most people here are not eagerly cheering on Russia.
That's a relief after reading your twisted view on the situation!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
lol christ

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

lol christ

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

:rant:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You're a piece of poo poo and I hope you suffer.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Don't ask, don't heil

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I mean that one guy is correct, Apartheid South Africa wasn't apart of NATO but did help support the South Korean government that had previously conducted such humanitarian actions such as:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_uprising
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mungyeong_massacre
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodo_League_massacre

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 06:12 on May 28, 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
hmm hmm ok

war is bad

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

lol at that post but especially lol at "most of the mass murdering they promised not to do occurred immediately after they promised not do it, so its not actually that bad"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

hmm hmm ok

war is bad
only tankies are against war. you wouldn't want to be a tankie now would you???

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i wonder how many views would change if they were the ones getting conscripted

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Budzilla posted:

Many Ukrainians supported joining the EU. Yanukovych made campaign promises to continue the accession process into joining the EU but he tore that up and signed the agreement with the customs union and this kicked off Maidian.

Most of the deaths in the Donbas occurred in the first 2 years. More civilians died in MH17 than the time period of 2017-2021.

Not sure why you think Russia (or to be specific Putin) is acting in good faith and not being opportunistic with a bad read on the situation.

A war against their ally, Georgia. With allies like this who needs enemies? It doesn't matter if you don't believe Russia is interested conquest through war. The LPR, DNR have been annexed in to Russia and so have the Kherson and Zaporizhzhia oblasts.

I agree. I also didn't think Putin would be stupid enough to expand the war. But the situation was bad enough for Finland and Sweden to apply to join NATO.

North Korea invaded South Korea the year before NATO was founded and the last time I checked many countries that have never been part of NATO were involved in the Korean war.

That's a relief after reading your twisted view on the situation!

you are both delusional and a hateful little turd

who looks at this:

and thinks it's great evidence for their "uhhhh, ackshully most civilian deaths was early on" point?

gently caress off dipshit

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

it seems like there should be an immediate ceasefire and then there should be a realistic long term plan for peace

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

it seems like there should be an immediate ceasefire and then there should be a realistic long term plan for peace

there was a peace plan last april then boris johnson and joe biden blew it up because peace = gay = anti-american

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

there was a peace plan last april then boris johnson and joe biden blew it up because peace = gay = anti-american

sometimes it seems like china is the only serious country on the world stage

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

popping in to say great thread title

Al! posted:

hmm hmm ok

war is bad

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Al! posted:

hmm hmm ok

war is bad

NO!
NO!!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I literally had this running in my head before I got to this post.

Lol, lmao

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a corollary of the anime villain speech that's particular to this thread is the kojima villain speech

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
oh my god its not even june yet and TWO people stepped in at the buzzer to make more embarrasing posts than me thank you both for making me look normal in comparison again Meltdown May is ending on a good note

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Budzilla posted:

all of this is a bad post but its pretty funny in particular that you think refuting it with "ukrainians wanted to join the EU, actually" would be a good anchor for the rest of it. our main complaint in CSPAM since this poo poo started has been the exploitation of ukraine by the EU (and by the US dangling NATO membership by extension).

but i guess what can you expect from a kissinger avatar of neoliberalism.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Budzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1128196579125551104

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Budzilla posted:

Strange reply to a statement on Eastern Ukraine. GFK no longer hosts the poll on their website from what I can tell, but maybe you're remembering crosstabs which show Eastern Ukraine's stance on the matter?
Some remnants of the polls do remain, which show that support for joining the EU in the immediate future did not have a majority, and only by including "Yes, In 5-10 years" and "Yes, in 10-20 years" did it reach such:

And when faced with no noncommittal timetable answer, joining the EU settled around 39% while No Union, Customs Union, Don't Know, EU Association took the rest of the sample:

quote:

Also a strange reply; how many casualties should be necessary for the DPR/LPR to object to constant shelling & a lack of Russian support?

quote:

What opportunity arose? Ukraine had been re-arming for 8 years, the weather made resupplying extended forces difficult, and Zelensky was rapidly becoming a political pariah. Invading as they did was a clear mistake (which is why people were surprised it happened), which begs the question of what spooked Putin.

If Russia's invasion was fueled entirely by opportunism for more land, they would have taken all the land they wanted back in 2014, when Ukraine's army was made of paper mache. They absolutely act on their own interests, but it's clear that they have interests beyond "more earth".

quote:

Russia and Georgia's relations have been strained at best since they seceded from the Soviet Union; Yeltsin immediately assisted the separatist forces, and after Georgia virtually lost the war was press-ganged into the CIS (legitimizing Russia's bases by extension) in exchange for preventing the separatists from pushing forward. In turn Georgia helped & house Chechen separatists, and then the 2008 war.

quote:

Going to be honest, this is a debate club-rear end reply. But I'd like to use it to shamelessly insert a post I've made before, because I suspect a lot of D&D/GBS Ukraine posters might be under the belief that the Korean War was an unreciprocated act of wanton aggression by NK:

quote:

While technically North Korea invaded South Korea, History is a lot more nuanced than that, as prior to the invasion:
- Elections were held only in areas controlled by US forces, to dictate the government of Korea, in which only one presidential candidate actually ran (the other, Kim Koo, boycotted the election as a sham, yet still obtained 13 of the 196 votes)
- Said elections occuring in the face of continued pressure within the nation, the Soviet Union, and the United Nations for a mutual withdrawal to allow Korea to self-realize their government and the then-growing desire to withdraw our troops (albeit on our terms, and with an allied government)
- Massive protests & riots were held against this election & its subsequent government, which in some areas such as Jeju featured a ratio of 86%-14% civilian deaths (US-backed Militants to Insurgents)
- The resulting government being so shambolic that The CIA commented on their brutality & incompetence:

- That both Sung and Rhee expressed desires to conquer the other prior to the war (Chapter 5 covers a large share of this)
- That there had been several clashes, raids, seizures of territory prior to the war along the border, instigated by both sides
- that roughly 100,000 Koreans had died as a result of the clashes, uprisings, brutal repression, and division of utilities
- That prior to the war Kim Il-Sung made peace overtures which were rejected by Rhee; the nature of the overtures is unclear, implication that it involved a Korea-wide election & then a guidance conference in Haeju, but the only source I found was Weathersby's paper, which is more reserved. The proposal was made in bad faith (Sung is fairly adamant in a military approach in his conversations with Stalin, and he mentions that he expects the proposal to be rejected), but it speaks to Rhee's disinterest in a peaceful resolution.

The election & subsequent suppression of dissent, the rise of an unpopular but militarily empowered autocrat, as many within US intelligence had predicted, led to a volatile state of affairs that was inevitably going to lead to war. North Korea had the immediate military advantage & opted to flex it before the US could finish training & arming the Rhee government, under the assumption that the UN & its nations would observe this to be a civil war.

South Korea under Rhee was heinous, and North Korea would absolutely have been the better government for the nation.

Neurolimal has issued a correction as of 07:08 on May 28, 2023

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
The spring or summer counternarrative is here. advanced western plot devices and an intricate logistical chain from effect to cause

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

North Korea would absolutely have been the better government for the nation.

One Korea, always.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

north korea is more a hereditary feudal monarchy. real juche hasnt been tried yet

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
if only the orientals would civilize enough to recognize what real democracy is

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The West [tm] isn't losing because of all this institutional rot, failson leadership or anthing else like that. Oh no. It's the superior Russian Narrative. They invested into better writers while the cream of The West are currently on strike. That's what is causing this backyard brawl to go so horribly wrong for certain private monetary interests.

Is a narrative that a sane person would absolutely think.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

crepeface posted:

and thinks it's great evidence for their "uhhhh, ackshully most civilian deaths was early on" point?
It was a direct response to this

Neurolimal posted:

They were shelling civillian centers in DPR for eight years prior to this war.
If civilian centers were actively been shelled for 8 years and the numbers from the source I posted accounted for all deaths on both sides of contact in an area with a population (LPR+DNR) of 3.5 million. Is less than a plane full of civilians it must mean the UA must have been super lovely at targeting civilian centers or it was a drum up by Russian propaganda?

Neurolimal posted:

Also a strange reply; how many casualties should be necessary for the DPR/LPR to object to constant shelling & a lack of Russian support?
My contention was that the UA was actively targeting civilians in your post. Civilian causalities are a tragedy no matter what side they are from but if we have a conflict and one of them is "actively shelling civilian centers" maybe how you frame the situation is hyperbolic when for 3 years the total civilian death toll is ~25 deaths a year in an area of more than 3 million people?

Neurolimal posted:

South Korea under Rhee was heinous, and North Korea would absolutely have been the better government for the nation.
Rhee was terrible fortunately he was eventually rid of. Although making peace overtures then invading SK probably has people in Seoul since then thinking that we can't trust Kim Il-Sung.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I haven’t read all the long posts as I’ve presumed they’re about how cspam loves putler or wherever, but are they actually about the success of the Russian narrative? because the Russian narrative is so effectively suppressed in the west it’s basically illegal.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

It's literally illegal in the EU.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Good Guy Countries like Ukraine are allowed to shell civilian centers and kill no more than 30 people a year. If they exceed 30 people but less than 50, they will receive formal censure from the rules-based international order.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw, just because something is a Russian narrative doesn't mean it is right or wrong, it really depends on the circumstances.

Look at the Patriot battery, there is evidence of two large explosions hitting the ground, and an admission that at least one battery was damaged. It is that wild to assume one to two Khizdals went through? What is the evidence to the contrary? Why aren't there a bunch of videos of interceptions?

Honestly, I personally don't care if one side or the other has a narrative, if there is any evidence of it. On the other hand, the Zaluzhny thing was always neither here or there, and it still is. He is alive, but who knows what was going on. I am not going to really push a narrative or not because well who knows.

On the flip side, if the Ukrainians say something, it doesn't mean it is right either. And if the Ukrainians have a wild claim, they really need to back it up. There has been plenty of ghost of Kiev style stories for the past 15 months, your break is going to break if you believe them all.

As far as the moral judgments of this war, war itself is amorale. Even if there is a war that needs to be fought, like the Second World War, there were plenty of options for the states involved to have avoided it and I don't think this war is any different. Arguably, the Russians were in a position they needed to fight at some point, they screwed up the initial invasion, and have been learning the ropes again since. I think it could have easily been avoided, and the Russians take responsibility for that as well, but it isn't going to stop unless the West gives up the minimum to the Russians, and civilians on both sides are going to be caught in the middle.

Also, this thread isn't the hive mind people think it is and there is a roiling discussion over most issues.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:11 on May 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Budzilla posted:

It was a direct response to this

If civilian centers were actively been shelled for 8 years and the numbers from the source I posted accounted for all deaths on both sides of contact in an area with a population (LPR+DNR) of 3.5 million. Is less than a plane full of civilians it must mean the UA must have been super lovely at targeting civilian centers or it was a drum up by Russian propaganda?

My contention was that the UA was actively targeting civilians in your post. Civilian causalities are a tragedy no matter what side they are from but if we have a conflict and one of them is "actively shelling civilian centers" maybe how you frame the situation is hyperbolic when for 3 years the total civilian death toll is ~25 deaths a year in an area of more than 3 million people?

Rhee was terrible fortunately he was eventually rid of. Although making peace overtures then invading SK probably has people in Seoul since then thinking that we can't trust Kim Il-Sung.

Why do you think the EU is better for Ukraine you slimy bitch